PDA

View Full Version : Speed Camera's

azza2111
23rd December 2009, 03:31 PM
Hey,

Not really sure if this is the right place or not for this post, but seeing as though the people who drive vectra's seem technically minded ;) i thought i'd post this question here. Does anybody know if any of the states speed cameras have Infra Red (IR) filters ?

The reason I ask this is that my brother and I were using some IR LED's the other day and noticed that the digital camera's can see the light from them quite easily, whilst the human eye cannot detect it, thus if they were say in a position on your car that you didn't want a camera to be able to see, you could effectively blind them , without anyone else even knowing you've done anything.

I looked it up a little and saw that they work on digital CCTV cameras aswell, as it completely blurred a persons face. an interesting thing for an electronics hobbiest.

PaulyJ
23rd December 2009, 04:40 PM
Moved to General Discussion

oneightoo
23rd December 2009, 04:46 PM
if you wanted to go to all that trouble to avoid a speeding ticket, why dont you just slow down for the camera?

nuggz
23rd December 2009, 05:07 PM
shouldn't be speeding :p

yes now and again alot of people stay over the speed limit unknowingly and cop a fine and its hard to avoid sometimes
but if the cops busted you with that, you'd have some explaining to do

Nurb608
23rd December 2009, 06:20 PM
Hey,

Not really sure if this is the right place or not for this post, but seeing as though the people who drive vectra's seem technically minded ;) i thought i'd post this question here. Does anybody know if any of the states speed cameras have Infra Red (IR) filters ?

The reason I ask this is that my brother and I were using some IR LED's the other day and noticed that the digital camera's can see the light from them quite easily, whilst the human eye cannot detect it, thus if they were say in a position on your car that you didn't want a camera to be able to see, you could effectively blind them , without anyone else even knowing you've done anything.

I looked it up a little and saw that they work on digital CCTV cameras aswell, as it completely blurred a persons face. an interesting thing for an electronics hobbiest.

Best bet is to grab a normal camera and take a pic with the flash on. The speed cameras are basically a 10MP camera with a flash. The new cameras that are coming out are actually IR cameras so not sure with those.

guy 27
23rd December 2009, 06:26 PM
myth busteres did it and it was busted. The amount of ir lights you would need would look stupid. The led ir lights are no where near bright enough to distort the cameras vision. If you are that keen on giving it a go you can buy them pre made. Just don't blame me or anyone on this forum when you get done.

gmonkey
24th December 2009, 04:30 AM
all ud need to do is hide one digit/letter but ;)

azza2111
26th December 2009, 01:00 PM
Some interesting points here. I wasn't actually planning on implementing it, it was more just of an interesting thought as a someone interested in this kinda stuff. I've tested it with a couple of cameras, interestingly they all detect the light differently. Phone cameras seem to be affected by it the most, sony cameras must have some mild form of filtering because they seem to filter it quite well.