PDA

View Full Version : z20let noisy on startup?

Jeenous
21st December 2009, 09:39 PM
MY lil baby has only done 57000 since 2003.. And i wouldnt mind betting its had a lot of short trips where it hasnt had chance to warm up properly.

its just had timing belt kit done..

I have noticed that upon startup it has like lifter/exhaust leak noise for prob a good minute before it shuts up.. After that it is nice and quiet. Is this normal or should i be investigating further?

Jeenous
23rd December 2009, 07:59 PM
anyone??

chrissn89
23rd December 2009, 08:20 PM
Mine makes a little noise on a cold start up, and is normally gone after about a minute. I just put mine down to having a pod filter, case vent breather filter, and exhaust system. It might be a very small crack in the manifold.... Or just normal

ROCCO
23rd December 2009, 09:24 PM
My H does that...I think its the lower timing belt cover...but meh it goes after a min or so...no performance decrease no lights...all good in my book

Jeenous
24th December 2009, 12:23 AM
fair point :) thanks

bender
24th December 2009, 12:29 AM
isnt it just the abs starting up and checkking stuff ??????

delemonte
24th December 2009, 01:50 AM
isnt it just the abs starting up and checkking stuff ??????

Nah, that's a different noise and is only instantaneous. This is an ongoing noise present only when the engine has just been started up cold.

boosted_astra
25th December 2009, 01:23 PM
Nah, that's a different noise and is only instantaneous. This is an ongoing noise present only when the engine has just been started up cold.

i also have the same noise like a pin hole in the dump where it is welded ;asts a min then goes quiet.

ope11
26th December 2009, 03:34 PM
the noise is normal,it's just's need's to be warm up,i checked all this out when i bought my new,thought the same thing.only thing u need to be watching is the water pump, some of the 03 models have faulty one's ,mine included.had mine replaced ,all good now.:)

AfterBurner
26th December 2009, 03:43 PM
the noise is normal,it's just's need's to be warm up,i checked all this out when i bought my new,thought the same thing.only thing u need to be watching is the water pump, some of the 03 models have faulty one's ,mine included.had mine replaced ,all good now.:)

They ALL go faulty in time, even the veccy's & prolly the whole range of Opels...

Hence them being replaced every time the Timing Belt is done...

ope11
26th December 2009, 03:52 PM
They ALL go faulty in time, even the veccy's & prolly the whole range of Opels...

Hence them being replaced every time the Timing Belt is done...

i've been lucky,holden kept telling me there was nothing wrong ,guess what i was right ,so a new one went in under warrenty ,used to work as a detailer,also had to find any unusal noise's for custmer's and fix.i'm up to 97000 k's now due for my 2nd timing belt change.:)

AfterBurner
27th December 2009, 09:24 AM
Bit early at 97K, usually every 60k they need doing.. Although i just recently bought a G that still had the original belt at 90K, the belt was worn but all the pulleys & tensioner still had plenty of life in them...

boosted_astra
27th December 2009, 09:43 AM

not normal never did it befor exhaust dump, pin hole in exhaust weld area 100 % wank welders is what it is

ope11
27th December 2009, 11:11 AM
not normal never did it befor exhaust dump, pin hole in exhaust weld area 100 % wank welders is what it is

i ment the engine when started, the exhaust i'm not sure,maybe the metal is expending with the heat,:)

ope11
27th December 2009, 11:21 AM
Bit early at 97K, usually every 60k they need doing.. Although i just recently bought a G that still had the original belt at 90K, the belt was worn but all the pulleys & tensioner still had plenty of life in them...

yeh ,i did my at 60000, but holden only had one at the time:yikes:, so at about at 75000k, i did it again and had both replace again, but holden bless there little heart actuly paid for most of parts. my car gets regular services,plus i change oil myself every couple of mths,she well look after car,but yeh it is due,i beleive at 110000 is the next:):)

boosted_astra
27th December 2009, 04:43 PM
i ment the engine when started, the exhaust i'm not sure,maybe the metal is expending with the heat,:)
yup heat expansion then it quitens down afta 2 min or so