PDA

View Full Version : Old design speed traps

Nurb608
18th December 2009, 04:40 PM
Must have ran out of speed cameras, lol.

Victorian police are dusting off speed-detecting gear rarely seen in two decades as part of their Christmas driving campaign.
Those speeding through Melbourne's inner suburbs on Friday found out the hard way that retro technology can still clock a speeding car.
A variety of motorists from truckies to working mums were all pulled over in Clifton Hill because of the "digitector".
"What we're doing is putting every piece of technology available to us out on the roads," Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay told reporters.
He said the old device can still be effective on drivers who may have figured out where speed traps and cameras are located.
"There is a whole generation of drivers out there who haven't seen this older technology," he said.
The old-fashioned long black tubes laid out on the road 25 metres apart measure a vehicle's speed as a simple time over distance maths formula.
Traffic Inspector David Griffith, who hasn't used a digitector since the early `90s, joked it may have been more fitting to use them during Movember when many officers grew big moustaches like `80s Magnum PI star Tom Selleck.
"But I can't grow a moustache to save my life so I grew out the big sideburns," he said in a chuckle.
Even with their advanced age, there are no legal issues with using the digitector as evidence in court cases, he said.
"The courts love them because it gives you an average speed," he said.
"It's not like radar that gives you an instant reading."
A 2006 auditor general's report into speed enforcement states that Victoria still had 112 digitectors but usage had fallen out of favour "because of the time taken for setting up the device and their poor covertness".
The device will be used until January 3 as part of Operation Aegis in which 3,000 police officers will aim to drive down the Christmas road toll of 14 deaths last year.
Victoria has led the nation in road deaths over the holiday period for the past two years.
The 2009 campaign started off poorly when a speeding car crashed into a power pole at 4am (AEDT), killing a 19-year-old woman and injuring two others.
Police will focus on speeding drivers, those who have been drinking, taking drugs or are fatigued.
Thousands of motorists will face random breath tests, drug testing and vehicle stops.

hazrd
18th December 2009, 04:53 PM
ohhh i remember these!!!

id like to see them try to set them up at 5pm on a friday though :p

tomtom
18th December 2009, 07:28 PM
psh. I call your challenge to see how much speed I can wipe off in 25 metres.

:P jk.

Lol... current fixed speed cameras use the same thing (at least over here) cept the censors are underground now. You can still see the cutout tho.

MatsHolden
18th December 2009, 07:46 PM
At least they'll be a bit more accurate than down here on the Peninsula with a bloke in a helicopter with a stop watch timing you between two lines! haha

Neeko
19th December 2009, 11:53 AM
At least they'll be a bit more accurate than down here on the Peninsula with a bloke in a helicopter with a stop watch timing you between two lines! haha
:yikes:

hazrd
19th December 2009, 12:22 PM
coulda sworn i went over one of these on the way home last night

"kadunk"... wtf?

"kadunk"

..... *penny drops*

Vectracious
19th December 2009, 01:39 PM

seen the lines on the road a million times, but I've never seen the helicopter :D

MatsHolden
19th December 2009, 04:35 PM
seen the lines on the road a million times, but I've never seen the helicopter :D

They only do it when they have a blitz on over the holiday periods.

Vectracious
19th December 2009, 06:54 PM
They only do it when they have a blitz on over the holiday periods.

ah ok - do they just have a cop car down the road and the guy in the chopper calls ahead and says "blue commodore doing 10 over"??

hazrd
19th December 2009, 07:17 PM
"blue commodore? which one?!"

Vectracious
19th December 2009, 07:27 PM
"blue commodore? which one?!"

yeah especially down that way - but then again wouldn't think the bogandoor VK-VL's that are usually down on the peninsula would break the speed limit :p

MatsHolden
19th December 2009, 07:34 PM
ah ok - do they just have a cop car down the road and the guy in the chopper calls ahead and says "blue commodore doing 10 over"??

Yeah just have a couple of coppers in an unmarked territory, usually have the bonnet up on it so that people just think it's a car broken down and then they can't warn drivers up the road... The cops in the chopper radio it through to the guys on the ground.

2002_XC
19th December 2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah just have a couple of coppers in an unmarked territory, usually have the bonnet up on it so that people just think it's a car broken down and then they can't warn drivers up the road... The cops in the chopper radio it through to the guys on the ground.

In Victoria they can't do that

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Road+Safety/Home/Traffic+Cameras/RSAFETY+-+Mobile+Cameras+Policy+Manual+%28PDF%29

specs on how to set up cameras and their VicPol operations manual, which irrespective of what methods they are using to detect speed, they have to abide by.
Camera Concealment / Disguise

To maintain community confidence in the mobile speed camera initiative, it is important for the operational use of the device to be seen as fair and reasonable. Under no circumstances are camera vehicles, tripods or portable flash units (when used) to be disguised by signs, logos, breakdown of vehicle (eg. boot open or spare wheel / jack visible etc), tree branches, lamp posts, rubbish bins or any other covert means.

daaaaavek
19th December 2009, 08:41 PM
when I come to Victoria next week I am goign to drive down every ****en road at 11.2km/hr as my way of thanking the police for makign the roads a safer place...

ROCCO
19th December 2009, 08:58 PM
LMAO...that is a pisser....serisouly though...whats to stop you from giving your car the beans approaching the line...then as you cross it slow down....then once you have crossed the second line...give your car the beans again

MatsHolden
20th December 2009, 12:48 AM
In Victoria they can't do that

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Road+Safety/Home/Traffic+Cameras/RSAFETY+-+Mobile+Cameras+Policy+Manual+%28PDF%29

specs on how to set up cameras and their VicPol operations manual, which irrespective of what methods they are using to detect speed, they have to abide by.
Camera Concealment / Disguise

To maintain community confidence in the mobile speed camera initiative, it is important for the operational use of the device to be seen as fair and reasonable. Under no circumstances are camera vehicles, tripods or portable flash units (when used) to be disguised by signs, logos, breakdown of vehicle (eg. boot open or spare wheel / jack visible etc), tree branches, lamp posts, rubbish bins or any other covert means.

Police can do what they like. What you have pointed out applys to camera vehicles which aren't police vehicles, they're private operators.

AH08
20th December 2009, 10:25 AM
Victorian Police are not allowed to park on the side of the road with their boot up making out they are a broken down vehicle. This happened a few years ago in our town and the cops involved got into trouble for doing it.

Nurb608
20th December 2009, 10:49 AM
Police can do what they like. What you have pointed out applys to camera vehicles which aren't police vehicles, they're private operators.

Still covered by the same laws though. Police can "monitor" speed any way they see fit, however they would not be able to use most of those methods as evidence if it went to court.

2002_XC
20th December 2009, 01:06 PM

They are private operators that are employed and supervised by Senior Victoria Police Sworn Members and must abide by the Victoria Police Operations Manual, either way, if you get done by a marked or unmarked car or private car by using those methods, the fine can be appealed in court as unfair and it will get overturned

MatsHolden
20th December 2009, 01:33 PM
Maybe they shouldn't hide in the bushes with their radar guns then... Bastards. lol
Anyway in the case of the one I was talking about I think they'd get away with it because they aren't actually detecting any speed (the chopper is) and they aren't trying to hide from the drivers that they will pull over; only trying to deter motorists going the opposite direction from flashing their headlights to warn them to slow down.

At the end of the day, doesn't really worry me if they're hiding... If you're speeding, you're speeding.

poita
20th December 2009, 01:57 PM
maybe ppl shouldnt speed and whinge about ppl jsut doing the job they get paid for

J
20th December 2009, 09:04 PM
maybe ppl shouldnt speed and whinge about ppl jsut doing the job they get paid for

Hear, hear!