PDA

View Full Version : Rust on wheel lock nuts

tomtom
16th December 2009, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

So i bought a set of lock nuts after I got my burger wheels from Autobahn (only place i could find them locally for the H) for ~$30.

Seemed fine... no dramas... until i noticed (whilst cleaning the wheels) that they have hints of rust - that is, some specks. The nuts are coated in chrome.

being that they're lock nuts, I wasnt able to fit the original black caps onto them.

I don't know how sensitive they are to rust - whether its just a surface thing or if it will corrode in deeper so I'm not sure what to do.

The rust is sitting on the turn bits (the parts that go into the key) so I'm not too keen on having them go as... well I'll be in strife if i need to get them off... which I will eventually have to for what-ever-reason doing the rest of my ownership.

I've seen lock nuts from the UK going for $100+ so in a sense, you get what yo pay for?

Anyone else had a similar problem? My current plan might be to take them off and give them a light sand... or fork out money for new, better ones - if so, please forward any recommendations.

Cheers:)

hazrd
16th December 2009, 10:27 PM
we got some from bob jane 2 years ago for $45 and they havent rusted :)
essentially yes, u get what u pay for, but it also depends on brand, some just coat the lock nuts so they would rust anyway (like on my old car)

i paid $60 for the lock nuts on the calibra and they are still shiny, just to give u an idea (also from bob jane)

tomtom
17th December 2009, 11:49 AM
yer I rang bobjane and a few other tyre shops at the time and they all said they could get me a set in within the week or 2. Autobahn said 2 days so i went for that.

I'll take the locks off this weekend to see if its just a little bit of surface rust (most likely) and go from there.

Prolly try the tyre shops again.

Cheers hazrd ;)

Anyone else with brand/shop recommendations please let me know!

chrissn89
17th December 2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe try abit of metal/chrome polish like autosol, if its just surface rust.

AfterBurner
17th December 2009, 08:25 PM
Sounds like cheap & chatty chrome...

If ur worried, piss em off & get better 1's... Any tyre joint should suffice...