PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering 'stop-leak' fluid

delemonte
15th December 2009, 12:37 AM
Sorry this goes for longer than it needs to... :o

While giving my car a look-over while changing the oil and filter, I noticed what I believe to be a tiny leak from the steering rack... I have topped up the fluid (just with normal stuff - not a 'stop-leak' treatment) and will monitor it...

In the mean time, my question is: How do you feel about Power Steering 'stop-leak' fluid?

I'm hesitant to use any 'stop leak' additives for just about all applicable scenarios... be it for coolant leaks, oil leaks, whatever. The people who make the treatment stuff claim it's brilliant, the people who replace/rebuild the leaking equipment claim the treatments are terrible - surprise surprise! :rolleyes:

I've read a fair bit on the net and I've surprisingly found more good than bad talk about 'stop-leak' treatments in the case of Power Steering - and even from supposedly reputable sources including a couple of posts on this forum I found using the search function (aren't I a good forum-user?! :p).

Despite this, I've still got mixed feelings about it... One possible issue for instance might even just be that the rubber-swelling treatments might interfere with the seals in the pump and cause it to fail prematurely, but some of the treatments available even say 'conditioner to protect and extend PS pump life and/or all PS components'... Is this for real or is it like over-the-counter natural & herbal medicines/supplements where, as long as the product doesn't have seriously adverse effects, the manufacturer can claim anything they like about their product without any need to provide evidence.

I understand that in certain cases the risk is undeniably present; e.g. some manufacturers use a fluid more similar to auto-Xmsn fluid which is strictly not compatible with most 'stop-leak' treatments (Lucas' treatment is apparently compatible, however), but has anybody on here actually encountered issues themselves when using these treatments with generic/Japanese/Euro cars? Especially with an Opel?

Any light you can shed is much appreciated :)

I've added a Poll to this thread - and this applies to POWER STEERING only - not any other applications for stop-leak.

AH08
15th December 2009, 10:22 AM
Probably because I've had it bashed into my head since I was a kid from my father, (mechanic) that all these additives are a TEMPORARY fix, I prefer to do it right and have the problem fixed. Do you plan on keeping the car long? If you are, I would fix it properly......but that's just me

SKM_87
15th December 2009, 10:47 AM
do it properly

delemonte
16th December 2009, 12:29 AM
Moderator, plz delete this post

delemonte
16th December 2009, 12:36 AM
Probably because I've had it bashed into my head since I was a kid from my father, (mechanic) that all these additives are a TEMPORARY fix. I prefer to do it right and have the problem fixed.

My dad (a mechanical engineer) has always said the same thing. I too have adopted my Father's general opinions...

Do you plan on keeping the car long? If you are, I would fix it properly......but that's just me

Currently, I plan to drive the car until its last days...

As far as the longevity of the fix in the case of power steering, reports that I've read seem to be fairly positive if that means anything at all. My greatest concern I suppose would be that it might ruin other parts of the system that would otherwise be fine. One product recommends to use their 'stop-leak' product as preventative maintenance though... sure sooouunds safe :rolleyes: Who knows!? I'm hoping someone who has had experience will speak up here...

Without a doubt, my natural inclination is definitely to just do it right the first time... but I'd like to satisfy myself that I'm making the right choice. In the mean time I'll try get a quote for a proper fix. The first people I asked never got back to me.

Thanks for your replies so far! :D

fx48.215
21st December 2009, 07:49 AM
As an engineer,and someone who sold additives, I've always stressed that they were a temporary fix. Some additives will restore some flexability to a seal which MAY stop a leak. Even pepper and egg will get you home when your a couple of hundred k's from civilisation and got a hole in your radiator.