PDA

View Full Version : Removing Canon Multipass software

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone had any experience with this piece of shit software you need to install when you buy a Canon Multifunction printer.

And just for a laugh - this is my email I sent to Canon technical support....

I had a Canon MPC 200 multifunction bubblejet printer for 5 years which just recently stopped working. I decided to throw it out as printers are very cheap to buy new these days (which is why I do not have the serial number) - the problem is that when I try to uninstall the Multipass software from the computer it will not uninstall. It keeps stopping at the "stopping service prompt" and does not proceed.
After some investigation, I discovered that you need to have the printer connected for the installation wizard to work - this is impossible as I have thrown the printer out and it no longer worked anyway. How do I go about uninstalling the multipass software as now I have a recurrent program where Windows XP throws up a "failed to load dll: MpDBIf.dll" error every time I open a window - and I have discovered this error is due to the multipass software still on my computer. I have tried reinstalling it/repairing it but again, it will not proceed because I do not have the printer attached to the computer anymore

Thank you for your enquiry

You will have to delete the folder containing the multipass software then check your add remove programs to see if the multipass Software is still installed and then try to remove it.

If this dose not work you will have to reinstall windows

I DON'T WANT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS - WHY CAN I JUST NOT UNINSTALL THE SOFTWARE?!?!??!!??!?!

InsaneAsylum
9th December 2009, 04:14 PM
pete, run regedit and search for canon multipass. delete all instances in the registry.
go to control panel - administrative tools. see if there's a service that related to canon multipass and stop it. then go to program files and delete the canon folder.
then reboot pc.

it should be gone without reinstalling windows.

who says "dose" anyway :(

Kudrow
9th December 2009, 06:16 PM
Meh, zero-fill :p

Kudrow
9th December 2009, 06:23 PM
You should be able to unregister the DLL file. Open Command Prompt:

regsvr32 /u filename.dll

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 06:24 PM
pete, run regedit and search for canon multipass. delete all instances in the registry.
go to control panel - administrative tools. see if there's a service that related to canon multipass and stop it. then go to program files and delete the canon folder.
then reboot pc.

it should be gone without reinstalling windows.

who says "dose" anyway :(

tried all that adrian - still getting the .dll error that I have to click OK on about 5 times each time I open a file explorer window (sorry, forgot to mention this is on an XP Pro PC)

Multipass no longer listed in Add/Remove programs, and I can't see any services or processes associated with it anywhere....

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 06:26 PM
You should be able to unregister the DLL file. Open Command Prompt:

regsvr32 /u filename.dll

Load Library ("MpDBIf.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found

carab
9th December 2009, 07:08 PM
Try RevoUninstaller. Does a scan of all left over fragments of files and registry junk. Failing that maybe try CCleaner which has a registry cleaning tool inside that. Else find someone with a canon printer... :mad2:

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 07:19 PM
U could also try running MSCONFIG & deleting out of the startup if it's still there...

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 07:23 PM
U could also try running MSCONFIG & deleting out of the startup if it's still there...

yeah have cleared anything related to canon multipass - its just this .dll

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Canon ****wits
Thank you for your enquiry

You will have to delete the folder containing the multipass software then check your add remove programs to see if the multipass Software is still installed and then try to remove it.

If this dose not work you will have to reinstall windows

That's actually one of the best C/S answers i've seen in a while... Maybe u can ask if they will supply the WINXP CD as you threw it away with the printer also...

I'm sure consumer affairs would have a field day with that response...

Where there's a will there's a way is my motto... There's plenty of options out there + the one's mentioned that may work anyway...

It may not necessarily be that DLL in particualr but an EXE calling on the DLL to run... Shouldn't b all that hard...

Kudrow
9th December 2009, 07:45 PM
[/I]consumer affairs

Nothing to do with them.

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 07:50 PM
Sorry, i meant "department of fair trading"

ROCCO
9th December 2009, 08:29 PM
general public always run off to fair trading when you don't get an answer you like. If you have tried absolulty everything and still no go...maybe you do need to format and start from scratch.
Bet you the PC hasn't had a good clean in year anyway. The user will prolly think you've upgraded the machine when they get it back..."wow its much faster"

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 08:38 PM
general public always run off to fair trading when you don't get an answer you like. If you have tried absolulty everything and still no go...maybe you do need to format and start from scratch.
Bet you the PC hasn't had a good clean in year anyway. The user will prolly think you've upgraded the machine when they get it back..."wow its much faster"

Think u missed the mark Rocco... Vectracious, from what i read, is saying that the Canon S/W that was installed with a printer cannot be uninstalled on HIS computer afaik... The need to have the H/W still plugged in is ridiculous & unheard of in my experience with computers over the past 13yrs of toying around with them...

The reason i mentioned Fair trading is that as far as i'm concerned it's an issue with the Canon S/W, not the PC or Windows itself, so really they should be accountable???

hazrd
9th December 2009, 08:44 PM
canon are a pack of dipshits

im with the others on having a crack with regclean or ccleaner !!

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 08:49 PM
yeah, my computer at home. Yes, I could reinstall windows but why should I? Computer and windows installation has been running fine so far and I just dont have time to do a windows reinstall.

I might just have to try and track down what's calling the .dll and fix it that way - or as afterburner said - see if I can track down somebody with a Canon multifunction and reinstall and remove with the computer connected to the printer.

I dunno why they designed it that you need the printer connected to the PC for this to work but you definately do - the uninstall program looked like it was trying to stop a process that existed between the printer and computer - but couldn't because it wasn't there.

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 08:55 PM
yeah, my computer at home. Yes, I could reinstall windows but why should I? Computer and windows installation has been running fine so far and I just dont have time to do a windows reinstall.

I might just have to try and track down what's calling the .dll and fix it that way - or as afterburner said - see if I can track down somebody with a Canon multifunction and reinstall and remove with the computer connected to the printer.

I dunno why they designed it that you need the printer connected to the PC for this to work but you definately do - the uninstall program looked like it was trying to stop a process that existed between the printer and computer - but couldn't because it wasn't there.

Bodgie coding... Actually most printer drivers install heaps of shit that isn't required these days, better off just manually installing the DLL files rather than using the Setup.EXE ... Norton's is the worst in my books for what i term 'Crapware'... Try uninstalling that & having a stable machine afterwards...

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 08:58 PM
Norton's is the worst in my books for what i term 'Crapware'... Try uninstalling that & having a stable machine afterwards...

Damn - and my Norton subscription is finishing in 2 days and I'm not renewing it so will have to uninstall that as well.

Maybe I should just do an install to Windows 7 and be done with it.... :(

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 09:00 PM
Damn - and my Norton subscription is finishing in 2 days and I'm not renewing it so will have to uninstall that as well.

Maybe I should just do an install to Windows 7 and be done with it.... :(

You poor BASTARD... I feel for you...

Looking best to do it... If the H/W can do it, i recommend Win7 over XP anyday...

I have run it successfully with as little as 1.6GHz Processor & 1 Gig Ram.. Works fine... Just need at least 256-512mb video to support Aero features etc...

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 09:02 PM
yeah - PC specced OK to run 7 - just need the time.

Running CCleaner now to see what that comes up with....

AfterBurner
9th December 2009, 09:11 PM
Try this 1, pretty sure it worked for me with a similar problem...

"Windows Care Uninstall Gold" - should be on torrents anywhere, isohunt etc..

Vectracious
9th December 2009, 09:35 PM
"Windows Care Uninstall Gold"

Will try this as CCleaner did nothing to fix the problem.

Vectracious
12th December 2009, 03:00 PM
Gave up and got Windows 7 Ultimate :D

hazrd
12th December 2009, 03:06 PM
installed and working now?

Vectracious
12th December 2009, 11:51 PM
installed and working now?

Yep all good, except it threw up a "Windows is not genuine" error which hasn't come back after several re-starts - which is weird because its definately genuine and went through validation no problem during install.... :confused:

hazrd
13th December 2009, 09:12 AM
easy fix... call microsoft, and they give u a new product key :confused: well i know they used to do that when the XP keys we had at the computer shop would fail?!

Vectracious
13th December 2009, 03:49 PM
nah - all good - I think because when i reinstalled Avast antivirus and ran a boot scan after the install - it cracked the shits about it - haven't had any issues after.

Loving Windows 7 though - even on my old Core2Duo which is a couple of years old now and only has 2GB RAM its running really well..