PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding

hilary_1987
27th November 2009, 11:27 PM
For people who have colour coded their Astras how much approx has it cost you guys?

My step bro who does spray painting said he'd do all my car (side skirts, door strips, mirrors) inc. paint, primers, plastic primers etc for $550 thats also including re-spraying a spoiler that I have to put on which is currently black atm.

Just not sure if that price is good, reasonable or ridiculous? Help please :)

He can be a bit of dick sometimes, so just wasn't sure to take his word on the price

Tried to do a search for it on here but couldn't really find much out on prices

Thanks!

USC
27th November 2009, 11:48 PM
Thats really cheap...like reeeaaaally cheap. I hope he does a good job...

hilary_1987
27th November 2009, 11:58 PM
Thats really cheap...like reeeaaaally cheap. I hope he does a good job...

Ha so do I! He gets the paint and primers for cheaper cause he works for a car paints place, I hope he does a good job too, hes been doing on the side for a couple of years. But then I think if he ****s it up, its not going to be too obvious will it? Because its not going to be on a main part of my car. I wouldn't let him do any other part lol

USC
28th November 2009, 01:05 PM
hmm..is he experienced with colour matching and spraying plastic parts? its actually a bit harder than spraying metal as plastic cannot be sanded too much if he stuffs up...or it will change shape. Plastic also needs to be primed properly as they tend to look different in colour...and paint may also peel after a while...

Try get an independent quote as well and see how much it is. you dont want someone to learn on your car..even though he may be your step brother...unless u r prepared for any kind of result.

to give you an idea of price..I had a spoiler painted at a reputable panel shop a while ago and it cost me about $250 but they did a fantastic job.

Paint etc do not usually cost much when painting as you would not use much anyway - its mainly labour time for surface preparation and the spraying itself + quality of equipment.

One suggestion: Let him spray the spoiler you have off the car anyway and check the results before proceeding to other bits. Spoilers are usually a good test as they have curves etc.

AH08
29th November 2009, 12:19 AM
Cost me about $500 for my whole body kit to be painted, but that was because I prepared it ready for paint. My Astra's silver paint come in the standard code plus a lighter and darker flop to help match it. Take a colour chip out in the sun and hold it against your paint just in case its faded a lot.(which silver does), you may need to go lighter. Can't see why your S/B can't do it properly as you say he's a spray painter, so he'll know all this anyway..

USC
29th November 2009, 12:22 AM
Cost me about $500 for my whole body kit to be painted, but that was because I prepared it ready for paint. My Astra's silver paint come in the standard code plus a lighter and darker flop to help match it. Take a colour chip out in the sun and hold it against your paint just in case its faded a lot.(which silver does), you may need to go lighter. Can't see why your S/B can't do it properly as you say he's a spray painter, so he'll know all this anyway..

yep..prep cost the most. Oh I forgot he said his step bro was a spray painter...then he should do a good job!

adam_92
29th November 2009, 12:45 AM
yep..prep cost the most. Oh I forgot he said his step bro was a spray painter...then he should do a good job!

He is a she LOL :p

USC
29th November 2009, 12:57 AM

ha..oops..:p

daiflu
29th November 2009, 04:48 AM
My Astra's silver paint come in the standard code plus a lighter and darker flop to help match it. Take a colour chip out in the sun and hold it against your paint just in case its faded a lot.(which silver does), you may need to go lighter. Can't see why your S/B can't do it properly as you say he's a spray painter, so he'll know all this anyway..

Can't be lighter and darker on the flop. It's one or the other.
And silver doesn't fade more than any other colour, in fact in most cases it fades less due to lower pigmentation and higher aluminium content. You are more likely to have yellowing/clouding of the clearcoat which may make it appear faded.

AH08
29th November 2009, 12:08 PM
Can't be lighter and darker on the flop. It's one or the other.
And silver doesn't fade more than any other colour, in fact in most cases it fades less due to lower pigmentation and higher aluminium content. You are more likely to have yellowing/clouding of the clearcoat which may make it appear faded.

Wrong, the silver comes in the standard code and also comes in a lighter flop AND in a darker flop, we had all THREE held against the car to check for the right colour.
Silver DOES fade and I know this as I've owned 3 silver cars. Where did I say anywhere in my post that it fades more than any other colour....only thing I said was that it fades.

USC yes prep costs a lot, thats why I did my own prep and installed the body kit as I know how to from when I worked in a panel shop for about 4 years.

USC
29th November 2009, 02:42 PM
hmm....I am not so sure if Metallic / Pearl colours fade as much as solid colours. They may fade if you use crap quality clear coat. Some clear coats also tend to change colour in sun which makes colour appear faded.

daiflu
29th November 2009, 03:05 PM
Wrong, the silver comes in the standard code and also comes in a lighter flop AND in a darker flop, we had all THREE held against the car to check for the right colour.
Silver DOES fade and I know this as I've owned 3 silver cars. Where did I say anywhere in my post that it fades more than any other colour....only thing I said was that it fades.

USC yes prep costs a lot, thats why I did my own prep and installed the body kit as I know how to from when I worked in a panel shop for about 4 years.

Ah yea, sorry mate I get what you're saying there are avaliable different versions of the refinish code. This is true, and for more high end product lines, there will be even more. The flop is only one angle (110) remember, and there will be different versions based of hue, tone, chroma etc.. of all five standard viewing angles.
Was pretty early in the morning and I read your post wrong.

As for silver basecoats fading, very slightly (depending on pigment loading), but as said before, I think you'll find it's the clearcoat causing the difference in appearance, as aluminium flakes do not degrade when exposed to sunlight.

hilary_1987
30th November 2009, 12:37 AM

hmm..is he experienced with colour matching and spraying plastic parts? its actually a bit harder than spraying metal as plastic cannot be sanded too much if he stuffs up...or it will change shape. Plastic also needs to be primed properly as they tend to look different in colour...and paint may also peel after a while...

Try get an independent quote as well and see how much it is. you dont want someone to learn on your car..even though he may be your step brother...unless u r prepared for any kind of result.

to give you an idea of price..I had a spoiler painted at a reputable panel shop a while ago and it cost me about $250 but they did a fantastic job.

Paint etc do not usually cost much when painting as you would not use much anyway - its mainly labour time for surface preparation and the spraying itself + quality of equipment.

One suggestion: Let him spray the spoiler you have off the car anyway and check the results before proceeding to other bits. Spoilers are usually a good test as they have curves etc.

Yes I'm a she :D

Yeah thats a good idea getting another quote from a professional place, he resprayed his gf's car a couple of years ago and that did start to flake but I'm pretty sure its cause he used shitty acrylic paint and just wanted it to be done quickly so he could get sell it.

He did explain to me that a different type of primer would be needed cause its plastic and its slightly textured too so it would need a light sanding and a special primer and he said most of the cost would be from the labour put into it cause he gets the paint relatively cheap.

Not sure on how much experience he has actually he had with plastic, I know theres a risk of it flaking later on.

It all sounds so confusing 3 different colour matches and what not, the paints already in pretty good condition, its been well looked after but I'll still check for fading etc.

Might take that suggestion get him to do the spoiler then find a place to do the plastic bits cause their trickier, I don't want a job thats going to look good short term then have to get done all over again if its not done properly the first time.

USC
30th November 2009, 07:40 PM
Yes I'm a she :D

Yeah thats a good idea getting another quote from a professional place, he resprayed his gf's car a couple of years ago and that did start to flake but I'm pretty sure its cause he used shitty acrylic paint and just wanted it to be done quickly so he could get sell it.

He did explain to me that a different type of primer would be needed cause its plastic and its slightly textured too so it would need a light sanding and a special primer and he said most of the cost would be from the labour put into it cause he gets the paint relatively cheap.

Not sure on how much experience he has actually he had with plastic, I know theres a risk of it flaking later on.

It all sounds so confusing 3 different colour matches and what not, the paints already in pretty good condition, its been well looked after but I'll still check for fading etc.

Might take that suggestion get him to do the spoiler then find a place to do the plastic bits cause their trickier, I don't want a job thats going to look good short term then have to get done all over again if its not done properly the first time.

Is he using 2K paint? That needs special 2K primer or compatible primer and an oven to bake - else it may flake if moisture gets trapped and paint isnt dried yet.
Good luck with the colour coding :) Let us know how you go.

poita
30th November 2009, 07:43 PM
Ah yea, sorry mate I get what you're saying there are avaliable different versions of the refinish code. This is true, and for more high end product lines, there will be even more. The flop is only one angle (110) remember, and there will be different versions based of hue, tone, chroma etc.. of all five standard viewing angles.
Was pretty early in the morning and I read your post wrong.

As for silver basecoats fading, very slightly (depending on pigment loading), but as said before, I think you'll find it's the clearcoat causing the difference in appearance, as aluminium flakes do not degrade when exposed to sunlight.

pfff wat do you know about paints :p :p :p