PDA

View Full Version : New Astra is out anyone gonna get one?

Moomoo1511
23rd September 2004, 03:26 PM
I wanna get one if I have $$$ :) Its on the holden site, just saw one zip past me in brisbane :)

rjastra
23rd September 2004, 05:03 PM
I will when they bring out a SRI version. The 1.8l doesn't cut it for me.

Mitch
23rd September 2004, 05:04 PM
New Astra is out anyone gonna get one?

No :)

NEMO
23rd September 2004, 05:30 PM
If they bring out the 2 door I'll have a closer look...

Dregger
23rd September 2004, 05:31 PM
soooo tempting.....

Anonymous
23rd September 2004, 05:48 PM
I will when they bring out a SRI version. The 1.8l doesn't cut it for me.

AMEN BROTHER :)

OPC
23rd September 2004, 06:08 PM
only and i mean only if its the 3 door turbo and its gotta be red, or blue......

PaulTheBall
23rd September 2004, 07:22 PM
My girlfriend wants to get rid of her Excel and wants an Astra... so will wait and see. I hope they look a bit less Mazda-like in person than in the photos.

There is a good review of it on http://www.drive.com.au check it out.

imay
23rd September 2004, 10:00 PM
I've recently been catching up on reviews, etc., for the Astra H and I must admit that I'm a little disappointed. It's nothing like the Opel/Vauxhall version that's available overseas.
Keeping the 1.8 litre is great for us G owners as there will continue be an abundance of mechanical spares available for some time, but what happened to the engines available in Europe? Where's the turbo diesel? Where's the chassis dynamic control system? Where's the good looking wheels? Why are Holden's retaining those horrible looking ex-SRi wheels for the CDXi?
Don't want to sound like a traitor . . . but if I was in the market for the same size car at the moment, the new Golf 1.9 TDi is a better looking package, even if it is a few thou more.
To all the Astra G owners out there . . . I reckon that we've got the better "looking" package all round!

NUTTTR
23rd September 2004, 10:13 PM
I think my package is nicest :lol: :lol:

Degen-Astra
23rd September 2004, 10:26 PM
only and i mean only if its the 3 door turbo and its gotta be red, or blue......

Hell yes. Agreed!!

rjastra
23rd September 2004, 10:42 PM
Where's the turbo diesel? Where's the chassis dynamic control system? Where's the good looking wheels? Why are Holden's retaining those horrible looking ex-SRi wheels for the CDXi?

1. Australians don't buy diesels.
2. Most of the reports you see overseas are of the SRI version usually with the optional 18 inch wheels fitted. These are optional here as well.

mr_astra_retired
23rd September 2004, 11:44 PM
I think my package is nicest :lol: :lol:

Yeah the astra G is a sexy car :wink:

and I hope your talking about your car

anicorsa
23rd September 2004, 11:56 PM
Im happy with my Beep Beep for now... ;)

Might wait for a new corsa, if it ever makes it out here... :cry:

NUTTTR
23rd September 2004, 11:56 PM
hehehehehe
Well, of course i was.....

*cough*

Anyway, looks like my gf is going to get a CDX, lots of trouble finding an ultra-blue cd manual.... :( oh well!

Miss_Astra
24th September 2004, 12:10 AM
i dont think i like the new ones, ill stick too the one i have :D

Tom76
24th September 2004, 12:56 AM
I've recently been catching up on reviews, etc., for the Astra H and I must admit that I'm a little disappointed. It's nothing like the Opel/Vauxhall version that's available overseas.
Keeping the 1.8 litre is great for us G owners as there will continue be an abundance of mechanical spares available for some time, but what happened to the engines available in Europe? Where's the turbo diesel? Where's the chassis dynamic control system? Where's the good looking wheels? Why are Holden's retaining those horrible looking ex-SRi wheels for the CDXi?
Don't want to sound like a traitor . . . but if I was in the market for the same size car at the moment, the new Golf 1.9 TDi is a better looking package, even if it is a few thou more.
To all the Astra G owners out there . . . I reckon that we've got the better "looking" package all round!

It really is a shame that you appearantly won't get the CDC/IDS+ down there. That's what really make the new Astra stand out of the crowd. The normal Astra H chassis pales compared to one you get with the IDS+ (makes cornering and driving at high speeds much more stable and fun).

I just had a normal Astra H (without IDS+) as a replacement for a day, and i was SO disappointed about the chassis - so the IDS+ really spoiled me (can't imagine driving a car without it now...).

I'm not sure whether the Astras offered down there contain the normal IDS (i guess they do, would be too much of an effort to produce a special line up without), and the IDS+ is only 600€ as an option (I'd pay way more for it!). So i really don't get why they are not offering it.

NPR
24th September 2004, 03:00 PM
i duno i prefer the look of the "old" astra G . the H does look like abit mazda like. its lost its distinctive edge, in the pics atleast

extralarge
24th September 2004, 09:37 PM
New astra looks fine. But yes it is geared to be chic looking; holden having seen this has begun its marketing to the female audience.

The interior is great for its class and beats anything around its price range.

But 35mm taller than the astra classic is a pity. For the sole purpose of creating more head room and the end result of making the car look like a mini van. Taller cars look shorter in length and dont look as nice.

Performance is a loss too. Through the new astra manual is matched to a better gearbox, it isn't as quick as the astra classic.
New astra 0-60 9.8
Astra Classic 0-60 8.5

The car is stiffer and corners are even more enjoyable than before, though the new golf beats it by the slightest margin.

Worth a drive when it becomes available in november.

imay
24th September 2004, 10:10 PM
[quote]1. Australians don't buy diesels.

Go to the VW site (or Peugeot, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Opel, etc., etc.) and check out the figures for comparison of injection petol to turbo diesel.
Talk to anyone who has driven a modern turbo diesel in Europe. I'm sure they will tell you how surprised they were at the performance.
Why are all the Euro manufacturers releasing turbo diesel? Because it's an economical and clean fuel, and they have, at last, figured out how to make the oil burners GO, and go well!
I know Australians don't buy diesels . . . because we haven't been re-educated yet and they aren't offered to us anyway. They still reckon we are just a mob of convicts and not deserving of the latest technology.
As I stated in my original post: Check out the "standard" European features that our version of Astra won't be getting, even on the options list.
Huge step backwards by Holden's/Opel/GM in my opinion. Only JUST better than the rumoured rebadged el cheapo Daewoos!

I'll keep my Astra G (for now). When it's time to change, I'll be looking long and hard at the choices other manufacturers are offering.

NUTTTR
24th September 2004, 11:07 PM
I'd buy a new TDI golf and mod it!!! Man, they have serious power when that's done!

jch75
25th September 2004, 12:33 AM
[quote]1. Australians don't buy diesels.

Go to the VW site (or Peugeot, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Opel, etc., etc.) and check out the figures for comparison of injection petol to turbo diesel.
Talk to anyone who has driven a modern turbo diesel in Europe. I'm sure they will tell you how surprised they were at the performance.
Why are all the Euro manufacturers releasing turbo diesel? Because it's an economical and clean fuel, and they have, at last, figured out how to make the oil burners GO, and go well!
I know Australians don't buy diesels . . . because we haven't been re-educated yet and they aren't offered to us anyway. They still reckon we are just a mob of convicts and not deserving of the latest technology.
As I stated in my original post: Check out the "standard" European features that our version of Astra won't be getting, even on the options list.
Huge step backwards by Holden's/Opel/GM in my opinion. Only JUST better than the rumoured rebadged el cheapo Daewoos!

I'll keep my Astra G (for now). When it's time to change, I'll be looking long and hard at the choices other manufacturers are offering.

Its the same as all imports, they are always the cheapest models to cut costs and increase margin (with a new model). Its the same as how we never (perhaps until recently) get the real performance version from any manufacturer. By the time they get to us, they are tamed down. As I said early to someone, look at the 300zx when it first came to AUS, it was a nat asp 6 but back in japan they were running the twin turbo............................ why oh why?

rjastra
26th September 2004, 10:33 PM
Because it's an economical and clean fuel, and they have, at last, figured out how to make the oil burners GO, and go well!

Because diesel is significantly CHEAPER than petrol in those countries. Here it is more expensive than petrol. In fact the sums just don't add up for the new Golf Diesels. The KMs to recoup your additional expenditure on the diesel model is huge.

imay
27th September 2004, 09:58 AM
Because it's an economical and clean fuel, and they have, at last, figured out how to make the oil burners GO, and go well!

Because diesel is significantly CHEAPER than petrol in those countries. Here it is more expensive than petrol. In fact the sums just don't add up for the new Golf Diesels. The KMs to recoup your additional expenditure on the diesel model is huge.

Don't want to turn this into too much of an argument, other than I think you need to re-think your figures.
Diesel is cheaper here than PULP. Diesel is cheaper than petrol in Europe because petrol is incredibly expensive (and keeping in mind that European petrol is much higher grade than the crud we have). You think this trend won't flow on to Oz? Bet you will be seeing $2+/litre before too long.
Just using the new Golf as an example: The Comfortline 1.9 TDi is the same price as the equivalent 2.0 petrol model. The top of the range 2.0 petrol is more again. More than the Astra, yes. But more kit as well.
And as for performance: not a lot of difference unless you want to be doing a bit of street racing.

rjastra
27th September 2004, 02:17 PM
The Comfortline 1.9 TDi is the same price as the equivalent 2.0 petrol model.

Actually the equivalent to the old 1.9TDI is the 1.6L petrol.

Lets say it can deliver the 2L/100km better economy compared to the 1.6 (see website).

Use a average petrol price of $1/L and a difference in car price of $2500.

It would take at LEAST 100K km (conservatively) before you even recouped the additional expenditure of the diesel.

imay
27th September 2004, 03:20 PM
Hey rjastra, have a look at this,
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/2004/flash/default.asp
check out the specifications and prices, then re-check your figures.
I'm not suggesting YOU should get a diesel, as you obviously have something against them, but at least get your facts straight if you want to put forward an argument.

rjastra
27th September 2004, 07:04 PM
1.6L Trendline $25,490
1.9TDI Trendline $$27,990

1.6L Comfortline $27,490
1.9TDI Comfortline 29,990

Looks like $2500 to me :)

1.6L
0-100km/h, 11.4secs
Top speed 184 km/h

1.9TDI
0-100km/h, 11.1 secs
Top speed, 187 km/h

Now the 2.0L FSI engine (which you wish to compare the 1.9TDI with)

0-100km/h 8.8secs
Top speed, 212 km/h

Now... tell me which engine is comparible on performance to the 1.9TDI (77kw)?

I will repeat.... the diesel engine upgrade is $2500 over the equivalent petrol engine.

imay
28th September 2004, 10:44 AM
rj -- In this instance you're comparing the 1.6 petrol to the 1.9 diesel. I'm making my comparison with what I imagine to be the more popular consumer's choices: the base 2.0 petrol with the base 1.9 diesel, installed in Comfortline (mid-range) trim. We could always bring the 2.0 TDi and the 2.0 FSi into the argument . . . but then it would never finish.
I am also, from the beginning, comparing these engines against the AH Astra's ONLY engine available: the same 1.8 that my current Astra runs. At the release of this new model, that is the ONLY engine that Holden is offering OR considering to offer.
And you are making judgements with pure straight-line performance figures, i.e. 0-100 km/h and top speed. I'm talking about Australian general city and open road speed limits, with an added emphasis on fuel economy.
All I'm suggesting, is that with the range of engines, chassis dynamics and other "safety" and performance features on offer in the Euro model Astras, what Holden is offering is way short of the mark. It leaves me a little disappointed in what is on offer. For an investment of a couple of grand more, I'm merely suggesting that other new models, such as the VW Golf, appears to be better value.
As much as I like my current Astra, I may be looking elsewhere when it's time to change . . . but that's still 12 months away. So, let's see what's on offer then!

XXX-1.8T
28th September 2004, 11:24 AM
just to let u know u can chip the VW/Audi diesels to get 140kw and 400NM torque!!!

pretty good for a diesel :)

jhopkau
28th September 2004, 04:24 PM
I just purchased a 1.9TDI Golf Comfortline manual. Will fill you in on performance, economy etc when i actually get it in December. I test drove the 1.9 6Speed DSG Auto and it goes (in my opinion) as well if not better than my Astra did!!!. (Sold my Astra last week and now have to drive a 3cyl 1.0l Charade till then :( ) Can't wait till Dec.

Seus
28th September 2004, 10:39 PM

i thought it was because european countries tax the hell out of petrol and not diesel as it used to be an more industrial fuel
also diesel engines are more econmical as you say

being clean i think is a whole other story
correct me if i'm wrong but dosn't diesel emit more CO2?
and most importantly it gives off large ammounts of NOx which is very bad for photochemical smog which contributess to respiratory diseases

BoostedAstra
30th September 2004, 12:31 PM
on cars guide website: http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,10854499%5E21822,00.html

article of new Astra, which confirmed reason enough for me to talk my GF outta a new Astra......

"The old Ecotec engine does the job well enough, but is not inspiring. It used to be a class-leading powerplant, but not any more. "

Why oh why was a new engine not introduced? The new Astra should of taken the Maz 3 and smashed it to bits against the proverbial(spl) wall.For me it falls well short of my expectations regarding the Astra

Julian

Oldmate
30th September 2004, 01:16 PM
Just drove the new astra..
I like it but it would be good if they came out with a turbo model.
The steering controls will confuse a few people.I found it hard to use
(it was a CDXi) the CD hatch steering controls are better.
But aprat from that i thought it good.

Oldmate

woody
30th September 2004, 02:32 PM
Seus,

Diesel is becoming a more popular fuel source as what is called "Clean Diesel" is developed further and further. the Main Pollutants from burning Diesel are nitrogen and sulphur. progress is being made to creating even cleaner diesel. As of 31 December 2002 diesel engines were only allowed to produce 500 ppm of sulfur, effective as of 1 January 2006 this will be reduced to 50 ppm of sulfur.
And finally... clean diesel engine systems emit 20-40% fewer greenhouse gases than gasoline engines.

see http://www.dieselforum.org/factsheet/fastfacts.html

if you're interested.. :)