PDA

View Full Version : SRi-T Cruise Control issues

pugmanic
13th November 2009, 07:16 PM
G'day guys,

I've been thoroughly enjoying the cruise control feature on my Astra.

However, as i was cruising along the M5 today... it suddenly did not want to work at all.

Any suggestions? Fuse? ECU?

auzvectra
13th November 2009, 07:26 PM
did u have ur foot rested on the clutch pedal?
it has a very sensitive switch on it ;).

pugmanic
13th November 2009, 07:28 PM
Nah i didn't mate..

I've been using cruising control alot as i average around 700KM's / week.

Do these things have a short life expectancy??

mania
13th November 2009, 07:45 PM
It's all purely software, so the only things that can really go wrong with it are the stalk buttons/wiring and clutch switch. (Well and brake switch - but you'd see your brake lights on then).

That I know of at least.

auzvectra
13th November 2009, 08:07 PM
pretty sure it has a seperate brake switch ;).
from memory if there is a fault, like abs sensor playing up, cruise wont work.

imay
14th November 2009, 12:12 PM
Check your brake lights! Couple of years ago had to change a brake light globe on my wife's CD Astra and caused all sorts of weird electrical hiccups (Mr. Fixit put the globe in upside down - offset pins!), including no cruise control. Change the globe around the right way, took it for a drive and everything came good again.

auzvectra
14th November 2009, 12:59 PM
maybe that was the fault i was thinkin of ;).

delemonte
14th November 2009, 01:16 PM
Yeh, any significant fault will disable cruise control. My sister lost cruise control when her temperature sensor started playing up. Obviously there were other symptoms and she had warning lights showing up on her dash too...

pugmanic
14th November 2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure your right with the fault disabling cruise.

I ran an engine diagnostic check last month and found that there is a fault which is causing the traction control to disengage at speeds of above 80KM/h. I'm guessing this has something to do with the speed sensor.

I've got the diagnostic report to show where to look in the Holden manual, but havn't managed to get in contact with someone from Holden that is willing to locate the problem for me.

Would guys know of a friendly dealership i can call and quote the diagnostic report to?

Cheers

Keep'emRunning
15th November 2009, 08:29 AM
If it's both TC/ABs and cruise control, a faulty/intermittent wheel sensor would be one of the first suspects.

Might be as simple as a loose/dirty plug near the wheel hubs where the sensors are mounted & you can usually check without taking the wheels off (white plugs, so easy to distinguish)

DirtyHarry
16th November 2009, 08:36 AM
i would check the rear brake light globes first.
if one of them is blown cruise control wont work at all.
youll have to get someone to press the brake pedal for you (or jam it with something)
to see if the brake light works.

Nurb608
16th November 2009, 08:48 AM
My nurb sometimes has problems engaging cruise control after i've stopped somewhere. I just brake then it seems to work fine, must just be a touchy brake switch in mine.

Ice
16th November 2009, 11:42 AM
My nurb sometimes has problems engaging cruise control after i've stopped somewhere. I just brake then it seems to work fine, must just be a touchy brake switch in mine.

I have the same problem in my Nur.....Diesel. Sometimes it doesnt even want to work, try pushing in clutch or brake or accelerate and after a while it will usually start to work. Can I just go to Holden to have the latest firmware updated under warranty ?

imay
16th November 2009, 12:03 PM
I have the same problem in my Nur.....Diesel. Sometimes it doesnt even want to work, try pushing in clutch or brake or accelerate and after a while it will usually start to work. Can I just go to Holden to have the latest firmware updated under warranty ?

If your car is still under warranty most certainly contact your Holden dealer and get them to check it out. Not only is it frustrating, it's also rather dangerous, having cruise control that works SOMETIMES. Can only imagine the carnarge it could cause if it decided not to turn off when you needed it too!
It's all electronic, so there must be something amiss somewhere that needs to be fixed before it causes you serious grief.

Nurb608
16th November 2009, 12:56 PM

They should be doing that as part of your servicing too, but yeah, if you pop in to where you got your car from they will usually do it.

I've got the latest firmware on mine and it still does it every now and then, last time was the GOR cruise when we left the servo, was bloody annoying trying to stick to the slow speed limit without it, lol.

auzvectra
16th November 2009, 02:36 PM
on the h, cruise wont work till u press the brake once after strating/driving ;).
some safety feaure, there was a thread about it ages ago :p.

mania
16th November 2009, 02:45 PM
Ah, interesting. I think I've noticed that before, explains it.

Nurb608
16th November 2009, 03:43 PM
on the h, cruise wont work till u press the brake once after strating/driving ;).
some safety feaure, there was a thread about it ages ago :p.

Cheers Matt, not so worried about it now, still bloody annoying though :p

auzvectra
16th November 2009, 04:59 PM
Cheers Matt, not so worried about it now, still bloody annoying though :p

haha, all good ;).

pugmanic
16th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys,

Seems to be working fine now. Will chase whats causing my traction control to disengage @ highway speeds and get back to you.

Much appreciated

Z20LET
17th November 2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys,

Seems to be working fine now. Will chase whats causing my traction control to disengage @ highway speeds and get back to you.

Much appreciated

Hey mate, check your steering wheel when your driving straight. You might notice that it's slightly not central. If this is the case then it's the steering sensor that is causing the problem. Had pretty much the same problem a while ago. Have a read of the thread I started, http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17937 and should help you out. Good luck.

pugmanic
18th November 2009, 07:25 PM
Cheers mate!

I have exactly the same problem.

I just got a new set of Bridgestones and wheel alignment.. but noticed my steering wheel to still sit off centre.

I'm getting the steering sensor replaced tomorrow.

Can this also throw out the speed reading?

Z20LET
19th November 2009, 08:28 PM
There should be no need to replace the steering sensor as it just isn't able to communicate if the rack isn't aligned. Get the rack centred and it will fix your problem. I dont think it's possible to replace the sensor anyway as it's embedded into the rack. You'll just be wasting your money if you replace the sensor as the problem will still be there if you dont get the rack centred. I dont think it will throw out your speed reading, that's only done by different rime/tyre size.

pugmanic
19th November 2009, 10:12 PM
cheers mate,

turns out i had a faulty brake sensor.

My steering wheel is still off centre so i will get the guys to fix that up.

Thanks again for your help.

And yeh i think your right about the tyre size putting off my KM/h reading.. i ended up putting on $250 bridgestone adrenaline 205/40R17.. instead of 215.. The guy said im allowed 15mm up or down?

Shaun
19th November 2009, 10:53 PM
Either the stalk has failed or a fuse. But take it in to a dealer and have it checked.

J
20th November 2009, 01:47 AM
cheers mate,

turns out i had a faulty brake sensor.

My steering wheel is still off centre so i will get the guys to fix that up.

Thanks again for your help.

And yeh i think your right about the tyre size putting off my KM/h reading.. i ended up putting on $250 bridgestone adrenaline 205/40R17.. instead of 215.. The guy said im allowed 15mm up or down?

Glad to hear you've found the cause, pugmanic! Seems like the previous owner may have replaced the pads a bit too late at one stage... :eek:

I thought the stock tyre size is 215/40R17 and not 205/40R17 :confused:

delemonte
20th November 2009, 12:57 PM
I thought the stock tyre size is 215/40R17 and not 205/40R17 :confused:

That's right.. Stock is 215/40R17, as Pugmanic said