PDA

View Full Version : new member in melbs

djlech
12th November 2009, 11:02 PM
Hello,
I'm quite new to this forum and I'm looking to buy a vectra '99/00, my budget don't allow me to get anything better at the moment :(
I had Opel Corsa = holden barina in europe and after moving to Australia I still want to stay with this brand.
Hope I will get new car on days and will be able to share my knowledge on the forum :)

I don't know if I'm blind but if someone can show me topic on forum, where can I get info at what should I look while buying vectra, thx.

Sorry for my English I'm really trying hard :)

sooty
12th November 2009, 11:51 PM
Welcome mate, your English is fine, should get some more answers tomorrow morning

Nurb608
13th November 2009, 09:07 AM
Welcome mate, i'm sure some of the veccy b boys will be able to help you out.

btm
13th November 2009, 09:21 AM
welcome mate

if your budget is limited, why not go another corsa again?

nuggz
13th November 2009, 09:22 AM
Welcome!

If i were you, id either be looking for a 2.2 4cyl or the 2.6 6cyl
i would stay away from the 2.5

cars are getting on with age so there are alot of high K ones around, but you should be able to find one in the low 100's for a decent price.

Jerram
13th November 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi!

It all depends how much you have to spend really.

You should be able to get yourself a nice 4 cylinder 2.2 for between 5.5 and 7k, with the 2.6 Vectras starting from around 6.5k.

With the vectra it's definitely worth paying the extra money to get one that's been looked after; a full service history is definitely something you'll want to look for. Pay attention to the gearbox on test drive, and also see how it idles. If the idle is rough chances are it will soon need an Idle Control Valve clean/replacement. Also check the steering (power on full lock each side) and make sure it's not groaning.

Personally I'd go for the 2.6 (made in Belgium/Germany) as the 2.2 was made in Australia and some of the build quality can be a bit questionable.

delemonte
13th November 2009, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the site mate

+1... or are you really after a bigger make this time?

djlech
13th November 2009, 02:08 PM
welcome mate

To be honest I had two cars :) barina was my wife’s car and I had peugeot 406.
peugeot here is way too expensive that's why I prefer to stick to holden :)
barina is too small for me I need to have a car with boot where I can put pram.

Ice
13th November 2009, 04:36 PM
welcome mate ! Nuggz will sell his Veccy to you for $3000 ! (cheeky Grin)

nuggz
13th November 2009, 04:42 PM
welcome mate ! Nuggz will sell his Veccy to you for $3000 ! (cheeky Grin)

i will actually :p

CNBLU
13th November 2009, 11:18 PM
Welcome Matey!

Ice
13th November 2009, 11:22 PM
i will actually :p

haha....no not that one ;)

MatsHolden
13th November 2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome mate.

InsaneAsylum
14th November 2009, 10:07 AM
hmmm so tempting.... however my lack of budget prevents me from getting another car :D

SubZero
14th November 2009, 11:41 AM
welcome bro

djlech
17th November 2009, 12:15 AM
Welcome!

If i were you, id either be looking for a 2.2 4cyl or the 2.6 6cyl
i would stay away from the 2.5

cars are getting on with age so there are alot of high K ones around, but you should be able to find one in the low 100's for a decent price.
can you tell me what's wrong with 2.5 ?
i was asking on local forum in europe and people are saying 2.5 is the best :D and you can easily buy a lot of parts not only form dealer.
2.2 is rear in europe and v6 2.6 have a problem with parts only original parts you can get because this engine was only 3 years on market
I know that I'm here but I read that a lot of people is shipping the parts from UK.

nuggz
17th November 2009, 01:19 AM
can you tell me what's wrong with 2.5 ?
i was asking on local forum in europe and people are saying 2.5 is the best :D and you can easily buy a lot of parts not only form dealer.
2.2 is rear in europe and v6 2.6 have a problem with parts only original parts you can get because this engine was only 3 years on market
I know that I'm here but I read that a lot of people is shipping the parts from UK.

2.5 was a really rough engine
power delivery only came on after 4krpm and had huge flatspots, 2.6 is smooth with torque coming lower in the rev range. also a much easier engine to work on

i've got both at the moment, and the 2.6 is a better engine without question
the forums in europe like vvoc and such, the majority of them have the 2.5 and there will always be a bias towards it, but the ones that have had the 2.6 or driven it, will tell u its the better motor
who ever said theres an issue with parts probably hasn't tried very hard, the 2.5 and 2.6 and veccy c 3.2
are based on the same platform and use many of the same parts, the 2.6 was also in the omega

the 2.5 only came as an auto in aus as well,

nuggz
17th November 2009, 11:06 AM
But, dont take my word for it, take them all for a test drive! :D

fx48.215
17th November 2009, 12:27 PM
Hey welcome. Have you had much to do with astra convertibles? Would love to discuss them if you do.:D

djlech
22nd November 2009, 07:01 PM
But, dont take my word for it, take them all for a test drive! :D
took them all for test drive ;) and today bought 2001 veccy b js2 cd v6 2.6 with 133,000km for $8400.
Maybe bit pricey but I have seen 15 cars and this one was the first one in really good condition and without accident.
To be honest didn't think it will be so hard to buy a car here in good condition.

Nuggz if something will brake in this engine I will blame you :cornut:

hazrd
22nd November 2009, 07:04 PM
its ok mate the veccy b motor is as good to u as u are to it... nuggz breaks his intentionally :p

nuggz
23rd November 2009, 10:40 AM
yeah apart from the starter motor, everything else thats gone wrong has been due to me messing around :D

i take it you also took the 2.5 around for a spin? fair bit of difference ey

nuggz
23rd November 2009, 10:41 AM
Nuggz if something will brake in this engine I will blame you :cornut:

Vectra workshop at my house :p
but if u do have any issues/questions, feel free to shoot me a message

Vectracious
23rd November 2009, 01:36 PM
congrats on getting the Veccy djlech - looking forward to seeing it on a cruise!