PDA

View Full Version : HSV Quality

Nurb608
12th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Well I went to open up my bonnet when I got home and I could feel a thin metal plate flapping around just next to the lever in the bonnet. Lifted up the bonnet and what did I find...... my bloody build plate had come off! HSV only stick them on :mad:

Guess I'm just lucky it was still floating around and I didn't loose it, still pissed though....tight ass's!!!

glider
12th November 2009, 06:17 PM
the only thing HSV contribute to and they couldn't even get that right :lol:

Nurb608
12th November 2009, 06:45 PM
the only thing HSV contribute to and they couldn't even get that right :lol:

lol, pretty much what I was thinking, waiting for the wheel caps and grill badge to fall off next.

mania
12th November 2009, 06:58 PM
Lucky the rest of the car's an Opel :p

Nurb608
12th November 2009, 07:14 PM
Seriously though, who the F..k sticks a build plate on using a crap self adhesive, in the engine bay where it gets the hottest!

PO15KA
12th November 2009, 08:31 PM
Seriously though, who the F..k sticks a build plate on using a crap self adhesive, in the engine bay where it gets the hottest!

KIA, HYUNDAI, PROTON....and HSV :)

Wraith
12th November 2009, 09:20 PM
Well I went to open up my bonnet when I got home and I could feel a thin metal plate flapping around just next to the lever in the bonnet. Lifted up the bonnet and what did I find...... my bloody build plate had come off! HSV only stick them on :mad:

Guess I'm just lucky it was still floating around and I didn't loose it, still pissed though....tight ass's!!!

HSV quality :confused:

This calls for a warranty call :p jk :D

Apart from the above mentioned bits on a VXR they have nothing to do with it LOL, looks like they took as much interest in putting those plates on as they did with the rest of the car, ie. not much...

They don't have much to do with any of their models bar assembling the kits and other HSV branding bits n pieces on Commos that are essentially supplied to them by GMH and all the bits come from other manufacturing companies Rory, they build nothing themselves only design the kits and other bits n pieces, which are begining to look more and more dubious :skep:

What did you do fasten that plate back on good n proper ?? rivets ?? :)

Wraith
12th November 2009, 09:21 PM
KIA, HYUNDAI, PROTON....and HSV :)

Well there you go, HSV joins the ranks of the Worlds finest in automotive know how :lol:

ROCCO
12th November 2009, 10:06 PM
call HSV and bitch about "loosing" your plate...see what they do.....might get some freebies outta them :-)

USC
12th November 2009, 10:16 PM
Its not just HSV. If I tell you how many parts are glued on a Ford...You would be amazed. Its pretty much all car manufacturers saving money.

btm
13th November 2009, 08:34 AM
wow, that is pretty bad...

Nurb608
13th November 2009, 08:49 AM
What did you do fasten that plate back on good n proper ?? rivets ?? :)

It's sitting in the glovebox at the moment, trying to figure out how to attach it properly without damaging the plate.

btm
13th November 2009, 08:51 AM
when all else fails... sikaflex :p

RobCDX
13th November 2009, 01:00 PM
aren't the build plates normally rivetted in?

btm
13th November 2009, 01:15 PM
that's what i thought... i think mine is?

Nurb608
13th November 2009, 01:31 PM

that's what i thought... i think mine is?

Thats what I would have imagined to. The original Opel one is rivetted but the HSV one wasn't for some reason, which is strange considering there are 2 holes behind it the perfect size for a rivet!

sooty
13th November 2009, 01:37 PM
But rivets are so expensive Rory, and now they can charge you an additional $30 to replace them :p

Ice
13th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Thats what I would have imagined to. The original Opel one is rivetted but the HSV one wasn't for some reason, which is strange considering there are 2 holes behind it the perfect size for a rivet!

yeah my HSV by design body kit tag is riveted on.....far out, you think theyde pay more attention to detail.

Nurb608
13th November 2009, 01:47 PM
But rivets are so expensive Rory, and now they can charge you an additional $30 to replace them :p

lol. i might just figure out where the rivits will come through and attach it myself, or ask for a new plate under warranty :D

Shaun
13th November 2009, 03:13 PM
Rory,
They arent put on @ HSV. They are done @ the holding lots or when the come off the ship.

hazrd
13th November 2009, 03:14 PM
Rory,
They arent put on @ HSV. They are done @ the holding lots or when the come off the ship.

thats even worse!!

Nurb608
13th November 2009, 03:26 PM
Rory,

thats even worse!!

That is shocking, do they even make it to Clayton???

Shaun
13th November 2009, 03:27 PM
That is shocking, do they even make it to Clayton???

Nope they dont go to clayton at all. They go to the port of the state they are intended for then shipped to the holding yard then off to the dealers yard.

mania
13th November 2009, 03:53 PM
Why would they need to go to Clayton? I'm pretty sure the pope of HSV doesn't bless their cars... so would be a bit of a pointless trip seeing as nothing physical needs to be done.

Then again, Clayton probably wouldn't blutack the build plate on :p

Shaun
13th November 2009, 04:00 PM
Why would they need to go to Clayton? I'm pretty sure the pope of HSV doesn't bless their cars... so would be a bit of a pointless trip seeing as nothing physical needs to be done.

Then again, Clayton probably wouldn't blutack the build plate on :p

Well if HSV were holding its own stock they could have been sent to Clayton but as far as im aware they clear the port of destination

GreyRex
13th November 2009, 04:01 PM
I wonder where the exterior badging for our VXRs was actually applied. In the holding yard or at the factory? I doubt they would've made it to Clayton

mania
13th November 2009, 04:06 PM
Factory I'm guessing. Otherwise they'd be a lot of Opel front grills lying around somewhere...

xplosv57
14th November 2009, 01:32 PM
How would they keep track of the build numbers if they weren't taken to HSV?? I remember asking someone at HSV about the VXR, i'm sure he mentioned somthing about the cars coming there for something...........

Either way, poor effort on the build plate front, don't DIY, take it back to Holden and get them to sort it out!!

Hoss
14th November 2009, 01:40 PM
The HSV plate on my 1993 5th Anniversary Senator was made of metal (like a compliance plate) and rivetted to the firewall. So much for progress!

Sometimes a DIY remedy gives a better result because of the thoughtful care that is taken by the owner.

PO15KA
14th November 2009, 03:23 PM
Sometimes a DIY remedy gives a better result because of the thoughtful care that is taken by the owner.

yep...they, HSV\Holden, didnt put much thought into it in the first place...not 100% sure they will put more thought the second time :(

imay
16th November 2009, 12:21 PM
Pretty sure that all imports (Opel, that is) land on the dock without some of the necessary bits'n'pieces for that country's marque (i.e. wheel badges, VIN plates, etc.). All other "stick-on" bits are added at the factory (same as Holden badging Chevy Luminas for Middle-East).
Wheel badges, VIN plates etc. are added at the Holden holding yard before being shipped off to the respective dealers.
Not sure about HSV, but can only imagine that it's all done at the same place, as HSV actually don't need to have any involvement in the Opel Holden Vauxhall VXR models, as they don't really have any other input.

MatsHolden
16th November 2009, 12:39 PM
Might just depend on the company... I know Holden exports the Commodore to overseas markets with the badges and all installed ready to go.

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autoblog/hirezpics/holden_exp03.jpg

PO15KA
16th November 2009, 01:18 PM
Might just depend on the company... I know Holden exports the Commodore to overseas markets with the badges and all installed ready to go.

yep, didnt Holden have some stock left (grilles, badges and body kits) for the Chevys and decided to realease a limited edition VE Commies but with Chevy badging and all that? or was it Pontiac, not sure ?

poita
16th November 2009, 01:22 PM
was pontiac stuff mate

MatsHolden
16th November 2009, 01:22 PM
yep, didnt Holden have some stock left (grilles, badges and body kits) for the Chevys and decided to realease a limited edition VE Commies but with Chevy badging and all that? or was it Pontiac, not sure ?

Yeah left over from the G8 exports after Pontiac was dissolved.

glider
16th November 2009, 06:57 PM

do they try and stop the brake discs getting surface rust before delivery? they look like they have something on them in that photo

USC
16th November 2009, 07:39 PM
lol. i might just figure out where the rivits will come through and attach it myself, or ask for a new plate under warranty :D

why are you making such a big deal out of build plates....just put some automotive double sided tape and stick them on again.
Go check another VXR and see if they are meant to be stuck on first....if not...rivets :)

Nurb608
16th November 2009, 08:14 PM
why are you making such a big deal out of build plates....just put some automotive double sided tape and stick them on again.
Go check another VXR and see if they are meant to be stuck on first....if not...rivets :)

When you pay $40k for a car, you'd prefer they don't just stick parts on :p.

GreyRex
17th November 2009, 08:58 AM

It shouldn't matter what you pay

Just shouldn't happen

ASTRAY
18th November 2009, 08:18 AM
take the car to holden and tell them that you lost the plate.

if they supply you with a new one you can use your current one in a boot install or even a keepsake for when/if you eventually sell her.

if they cant replace it, tell them you want some sort of compensation as a missing plate will definately make potential future buyers ask questions regarding whether its a real nurb etc. sure its got other nurb exclusive bits and peices, but they could all be sourced seperately.

ASTRAY
18th November 2009, 01:00 PM
It is based on the Holden Astra Turbo but gets the go-fast treatment by General Motors' white coats at Opel, which is why that brand's trademark "lightning" badge is on the steering wheel. The up-rated engine, brakes and suspension were engineered at the Opel Performance Centre in Germany but the car is assembled in Belgium.
HSV's input? Six badges (one on each wheel, plus the nose and tail), fitted in the phase between the docks and the dealerships.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=58336&vf=1

Shaun
19th November 2009, 01:55 PM
Rory i had a look under my bonnet this morning when i filled up the washer bottle and my HSV build Plate is actually held on by Rivets.

DirtyHarry
19th November 2009, 02:16 PM
maybe your car was in accident...hence why not riverted.

btm
19th November 2009, 03:22 PM
wasnt it brand new???

USC
19th November 2009, 04:05 PM

true...you think its different with other brands?? The fog surrounds on my mondeo xr5 was only stuck on with tape and they came apart...the fogs come as a whole assembly and cost nearly $500 EACH side!

Nurb608
19th November 2009, 04:38 PM

wasnt it brand new???

Yeah, brand new but with 150kms on it. If it was in an accident, they did an awesome repair, iv'e had that front end off and no sign of damage. I'm just unlucky :(

btm
19th November 2009, 04:45 PM
just damn unlucky!

USC
20th November 2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, brand new but with 150kms on it. If it was in an accident, they did an awesome repair, iv'e had that front end off and no sign of damage. I'm just unlucky :(

I dont think your car was in an accident. If it was Holden cannot legally sell you the car as brand new. I reckon they got lazy with a batch of VXRs and used double sided tape.

DirtyHarry
21st November 2009, 06:04 PM
they can sell the car brand new i believe as long as the cost of the repairs or something is up to a certain limit. however i think you have a right to ask the salesman at the time of the sale, whether it was and he is bound to tell you.

PO15KA
21st November 2009, 08:12 PM
they can sell the car brand new i believe as long as the cost of the repairs or something is up to a certain limit. however i think you have a right to ask the salesman at the time of the sale, whether it was and he is bound to tell you.

yes, thats true...there was a case couple of years ago where a VW Golf was damaged when being unloaded = new bonnet, side fender and bumper bar had to be replaced and resprayed...
whoever bought it noticed the bonnet not being symmetrical to the rest of the body and the paint of the panels was noticeably different...
nothing the buyer could do apparently...

kabel
21st November 2009, 09:32 PM
Both my VXR`s have no rivets on the build plate.

USC
22nd November 2009, 01:13 AM
yes, thats true...there was a case couple of years ago where a VW Golf was damaged when being unloaded = new bonnet, side fender and bumper bar had to be replaced and resprayed...
whoever bought it noticed the bonnet not being symmetrical to the rest of the body and the paint of the panels was noticeably different...
nothing the buyer could do apparently...

yeah..actually....I saw a Ford Territory at Courtney & Patterson Ford (By the way..dont go there...they are dodgy as!) damaged when being unloaded from the truck..a few days later, noticed they were repairing it at their own repair centre and it was going to be sold as brand new (an employee at the panel shop told me).

Nurb608
22nd November 2009, 12:22 PM
Both my VXR`s have no rivets on the build plate.

Ah cool, so it's not just me :D

PO15KA
22nd November 2009, 01:49 PM
yeah..actually....I saw a Ford Territory at Courtney & Patterson Ford (By the way..dont go there...they are dodgy as!) damaged when being unloaded from the truck..a few days later, noticed they were repairing it at their own repair centre and it was going to be sold as brand new (an employee at the panel shop told me).

yes, thats it! somewhere in the law it states that if the damage is not exceeding $$$ amount it can be sold as brand new :(

darkirv
22nd November 2009, 02:16 PM
ive notice the build quality deteriate over the years :S, even the hsv ve senator had a poorly made interior quite dissapointed

PO15KA
22nd November 2009, 04:10 PM
Ah cool, so it's not just me :D

there you go :) looks like case solved :)

btm
23rd November 2009, 09:11 AM
looks like case solved :)
yep, HSV cost cutting :p

Ash VXRoz
23rd November 2009, 10:09 AM
DAMN!! I should go check if mine is still there!!:D

btm
23rd November 2009, 10:27 AM
interesting that some VXRs were rivetted and some werent...

Ash VXRoz
23rd November 2009, 11:33 AM
Just had a look at mine. Its just stuck on as well! Im just glad its still there :p!!

Nurb608
23rd November 2009, 12:53 PM
Just had a look at mine. Its just stuck on as well! Im just glad its still there :p!!

Surprised it is considering how hot it is up there!

USC
24th November 2009, 10:34 PM
double sided tape is better than rivets....no holes need to be drilled.

u could always remove the tape and glue it back with polyurethane windscreen glue. It will never come out again..unless u run fishing line behind it.

Ash VXRoz
26th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Surprised it is considering how hot it is up there!

Yeah me too! Guess the Central Aus heat makes the glue bond better;)!

USC
26th November 2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah me too! Guess the Central Aus heat makes the glue bond better;)!

double sided tape actually does not like heat....:p...it dries up the glue and the thing pops off.

ope11
26th November 2009, 12:58 PM
car dealer's get awy with a lot even holden and ford,i've work with a few doing car detailing,u would be susprised at what go's on.:cool:

USC
26th November 2009, 01:04 PM
car dealer's get awy with a lot even holden and ford,i've work with a few doing car detailing,u would be susprised at what go's on.:cool:

I can imagine..when my brand new Sri-T was delivered, it had glue all over the silver on the dash and a massive stone chip that had been touched up dodgily on the roof. They also wrecked the rubber around my rear window and scratched my rear window with a knife when they removed the sticker.

I had them fix all those issues and replace the rear window.

Red AH SRI T
26th November 2009, 08:04 PM

The original Opel build plate is also a sticker. The silver plate riveted to the top of the firewall is the compliance plate fitted in Australia. These have now been done away with an replaced with self destructing white stickers, so if you try and tamper with them they just crumble and break up.

Maybe HSV should contact Opel and ask them for the glue they attach the build plate with?

cashie
5th December 2009, 10:00 PM
Mine is just stuck on too...

cashie
5th December 2009, 10:01 PM
interesting that some VXRs were rivetted and some werent...

Must depend upon the port they came into and who was sent to the docks to do the HSV work...
Talking of which, my front rotors look pretty poor where they sprayed the data dots, obviously this was also done here on the docks..

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/cashie5/Caliper1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/cashie5/Caliper3.jpg

USC
7th December 2009, 12:52 AM
What is that?? Like glue or something?

RobCDX
9th December 2009, 03:38 PM
that's heaps dodgey, looks like a seagull took a dump on it

Nurb608
9th December 2009, 03:47 PM
Thats what my strut towers look like in the engine bay too :(

MatsHolden
9th December 2009, 03:49 PM
What is that?? Like glue or something?

As he said, looks like DataDot spray which they spray on verious parts of the vehicle.

Shaun
31st December 2009, 10:19 AM
Correct it is Data Dot's . I have it on my VXR in the engine bay as well.