PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bad_system_config_info

MrPerkasa
10th November 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi guys, HELP!

My boss's laptop wouldn't start. It stops at blue screen with BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO message.

When I tried to start it at Safe Mode, it stops when loading BTHIDbus.sys, then goes to the blue screen.

When I put the Toshiba XP Disc Recovery, it starts with a warning that hard drive will be formatted (no recovery tools whatsoever).

So now,
It won't start because it has corrupt configuration
I can't fix the corrupt config because it won't start

Can anyone advise where to begin? Taking it to a pro will only result in "We charge you this much to format it and reinstall windows"

Thanks in advance.

McTwistie
10th November 2009, 11:02 AM
Hmmm. You have to be carefull here. One wrong step and your data is toast.

I would:

1. Remove the laptop drive, and use an external enclosure to copy all of the data elsewhere. (A cd based WINPE system to network can do this too)
2. Run a data checker over the HDD. Looking for bad sectors or corrupt files. If this fixes some, reboot and hope. You can use the XP Recovery console to run a chkdsk if you have no other tools.
3. Try a NORMAL XP boot disk install - doing a Repair over the current installation. Reboot and hope.
4. Format the drive and start from scratch - Use the Notebook reinstall disk.
5. Get your cheap ass boss to pay an expert to save his data and maybe the notbook install. :P (Last resort for most)

There are always unknowns with this kind of issue. The BTHIDbus.sys error is not that usefull, often with these errors it is the NEXT device that fails - the system freezes before it can report what it was doing.

Good luck.

MrPerkasa
10th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you thank you thank you

Hmmm. You have to be carefull here. One wrong step and your data is toast.

I would:

1. Remove the laptop drive, and use an external enclosure to copy all of the data elsewhere. (A cd based WINPE system to network can do this too)
OK, I happen to have a 2.5" HDD enclosure somewhere

2. Run a data checker over the HDD. Looking for bad sectors or corrupt files. If this fixes some, reboot and hope. You can use the XP Recovery console to run a chkdsk if you have no other tools.

When you said "XP Recovery Console", you meant through the "Normal XP boot disk, right?

3. Try a NORMAL XP boot disk install - doing a Repair over the current installation. Reboot and hope.
Have to try to find a CD, will do this as well

4. Format the drive and start from scratch - Use the Notebook reinstall disk.

Noooooooo

5. Get your cheap ass boss to pay an expert to save his data and maybe the notbook install. :P (Last resort for most)

He actually has intructed me to get professional help, but my past experience shows that computer shops are not as willing as our employees in regard to trying fixing without formatting and reinstalling. All of them just want to "format and reinstall to working condition"

There are always unknowns with this kind of issue. The BTHIDbus.sys error is not that usefull, often with these errors it is the NEXT device that fails - the system freezes before it can report what it was doing.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot, Mc, will let you guys know how I go.

hazrd
10th November 2009, 11:31 AM
also make sure the enclosure u have is the same interface as the notebook HDD aswell i.e: SATA/IDE ;) before u go pulling everything apart

thats shocking how the computer stores over there just want to "format and reload" the shop i used to work insisted on backing up the data prior to any major HDD work on a PC or notebook

anyways, good luck

MrPerkasa
10th November 2009, 11:49 AM
also make sure the enclosure u have is the same interface as the notebook HDD aswell i.e: SATA/IDE ;) before u go pulling everything apart

DOH! My enclosure is IDE, I think my boss's laptop is SATA Thanks for reminding me.

Progress:
I found a Normal XP Pro Disc, but when I told the laptop boot from it and to do Repair, it can't find the HDD! Looks like when I told it to boot from CD, it does not power up the HDD, unless it is Toshiba XP Pro Disc (but Toshiba XP Pro Disc does not allow Repair, only Reformat & Install), Arrrggghh.

hazrd
10th November 2009, 12:04 PM
toshiba sucks balls :( lol
do u have a computer shop nearby? a SATA enclosure is only about 20 bucks i think, plus u can keep it and then write it off :D

MrPerkasa
10th November 2009, 12:53 PM
Ok, I am 70% there,

Managed to trick the BIOS to power the HDD while booting from CD.

Managed to ge tinto recovery console.

Now it is a matter of disabling the BtHidBus.sys.

However, I cannot find the right command, as it asks in the following format:

Disable service_name device_driver_name
(ref: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true )

Problem is, what is the Service Name?

Thanks guys.

McTwistie
10th November 2009, 01:02 PM
The service looks like a Bluetooth driver, but like I said, disable that and it most likely will not get to the real issue.

Grab yourself one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-to-SATA-IDE-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Power_W0QQitemZ120473811267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_15?hash=item1c0ccc7943

They are priceless for backups and troubleshooting drives.

Now that you have the console up, have you run chkdsk ? I would definately try that first.

hazrd
10th November 2009, 01:13 PM
do u have any idea how long ive been looking for something like that.. *clicks purchase* :D