PDA

View Full Version : Hid lights

vivaaa
4th November 2009, 09:15 PM
hey guys iv got a holden viva and wanting to install some HID's on it

just a couple of questions......ussually cars with HID's have projectors in their lights my viva only has the reflector see pic... will this be a problem????????

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h108/real_mofo69/IMG_0155.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated as i want to install them asap :D

thanks in advance

ROCCO
4th November 2009, 09:22 PM
It won't be a problem as such. basically you need the HID that is designed for reflector set ups. for my Astra i too have the reflector type lens. i know I can get the H7R (r meaning reflector...blanked out on one side and a bit shorter)

You'd basically need to know the bulb type and look for the fitment with the R otherwise people are going to flash you nonstop due to being blinded.

A lot of Commo drivers do this shit thinking there cool....not knowing that its illegal. I'm not sure with the VIVA as to whether it has a CANBUs unit installed or not. Its something that you would need to look into as well. As with the Astra it has a CANBUS and you can't put just any type of HID in as sometimes they will flash and not stay on.
The computer thinks it a dicky globe due to the lower power usuage of HID over halogen.

vivaaa
4th November 2009, 09:59 PM
oh kk thanks for that, so im gonna look for HID;s that suite reflectors :D
and my bulb type is H7 so i guess is would be the same as yours

canbuss??????????? hmm ill do research on it considering i dont have a clue what it is hahha

mania
4th November 2009, 10:26 PM
H7Rs are just H7s with the top coated black, still just as unroadworthy and only a bit better... the bulbs are still a different shape and are unlikely to work well in a reflector.

Don't mean to be a party pooper though, it's perhaps worth trying ;). Just if you see any light on the treetops, please take them out..

MatsHolden
4th November 2009, 10:40 PM
Doesn't matter what type of HID ballast you use, it comes down to whether the headlight reflector has been designed for HID light reflection. The Viva's headlight reflectors wouldn't be designed for HID's.

vivaaa
5th November 2009, 01:25 AM
yer thats what i was thinkin hey...if i put them in the light is just going to reflect everywhere and blind ppl because i dont have projectors........but ppl say that they use them without the projectors and with reflectors just by using the H7R

im still gonna do some research and talk to ppl that have HID's while having refelctors and see how things turned out for them...............keep the advice coming, its really hhelping

UnKnOwN
5th November 2009, 07:18 AM
i doubt many of the ppl who have hids in reflectors will say anything bad about it because they dont get blinded by their own headlights

ROCCO
5th November 2009, 07:53 AM
guys your forgetting that the Astra can adjust the levels of there head lights. Currently I run mine on the level 1 setting....so its actually down a little bit more than standard. I havn't had any one flash me...yes there bright but there not blinding

rjastra
5th November 2009, 08:11 AM
You have H4 bulbs... so going for an HID conversion will probably mean you loose high beam

Forget this whole HID conversion idea and just get some Philip VisionPlus +50% or Xtreme +50% bulbs. Totally legal and the light is a bit whiter than usual

gmonkey
5th November 2009, 11:22 AM
+1 or spend the money and order the projector headlight setup pretty sure I saw it on www.ssv.com.au. Hid conversions are illegal unless car came with it as option. But u will find putting hid bulbs in a standard plug will be worse for light than normal bulbs in reflectors and also u may find u blow the bulbs as they are rated at 35w when standard plug is putting out 55w. Spend the $$ or don't bother with it.

Also if u got ur bulbs off ebay chances are they might not be hid anyway I've ordered a set in the past and they were just blue tinted 55w halogens

Wraith
5th November 2009, 01:07 PM
hey guys iv got a holden viva and wanting to install some HID's on it

just a couple of questions......ussually cars with HID's have projectors in their lights my viva only has the reflector see pic... will this be a problem????????

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h108/real_mofo69/IMG_0155.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated as i want to install them asap :D

thanks in advance

IMHO and AFAIK yes this is a problem and NO I wouldn't reccomend it in your case !

It dosn't matter if you get HIDs designed for basic reflector headlight assemblies (there's no such OEM equivalent, just aftermarket brands trying to cash in) on this sort of thing !

Also it dosn't matter if you have angle adjustment or not - with HIDs installed in normal reflector headlight assemblies, you are still going to cause exccessive glare/blinding to other road users...

My advice has always been, If you want the Xenon HID feature then at least go to the bother of acquiring projector lense equipped headlight assemblies, (it's what many of us here have done) it will cost you more and it still won't be complete or legal as they don't have the required washers and self levelling capabilities, but at least you cut out the glare and blinding to other road users...

imay
5th November 2009, 01:30 PM
As has been said previously . . . DON'T DO IT! Get the correct lens and upgrade to HID . . . OR just get replacement halogen globes. I've got the Osram Nightbreaker in my Astra and been relatively happy with them so far. Mind you, the Astra reflectors are CRAP so that's not helpful in creating a better low beam light output. High beam is OK, low beam is crap anywhere it is darker than your average lighted side-street.

CNBLU
5th November 2009, 01:34 PM
MCG lights FTW!!!!:cornut::cornut::cornut:

MatsHolden
5th November 2009, 05:47 PM
yer thats what i was thinkin hey...if i put them in the light is just going to reflect everywhere and blind ppl because i dont have projectors........but ppl say that they use them without the projectors and with reflectors just by using the H7R

You don't HAVE to have projectors for HID's, but only if the reflector itself is designed for HID, ie. some older lexus models, volvo models etc. Take the advice of upgrading to some quality halogen globes. :)

ROCCO
5th November 2009, 05:57 PM
MCG lights FTW!!!!:cornut::cornut::cornut:

Bugger that....the lights they used at the singapore F1....so bright the drivers think its day time :yikes:

Shay
5th November 2009, 06:01 PM
suzuki reno, in the U.S.
and the chevrolet Optra 5

both have the same body shape as yours and came with black projectors as a factory option. id look for some of them first...

(they are hard to find tho... i had a search on ebay last night and got nothing)

vivaaa
6th November 2009, 11:44 AM
hey guys iv decided not go with the HID's due to what all of you , well most have said

iv now looked into the Philips bulbs and now im either going to be getting the

crystal vision 4300k which im pretty sure is a crisp white light with blue just like i wnted in the HID's

or i can get the Diamond vision which is 5000k and mostly blue i think with a little bit of white

i think if i go the diamond vision it may attract the cops because its simply blue and another downside towards the diamond vision is the actual light it outputs is less the standard which isnt very safe for driving conditions

both these bulbs are "illegal" but im sure i could get away with one or the other...........

what do u guys think, should i go the crystal vision???

theres the link for the bulbs http://www.philipslighting.com.au/bulbs.html
go to headlight upgrades ;)

they r selling for 100bucks at autopro........

Jerram
6th November 2009, 11:51 AM
hey man, 4300 is in reality the yellower side of white. For a decent Blue you'd probably want 6k, but other people may have other opinions.

While you're at it you should grab some LED parkers, they always go down well (just not red ones like Shay)

rjastra
6th November 2009, 01:05 PM
hey man, 4300 is in reality the yellower side of white. For a decent Blue you'd probably want 6k, but other people may have other opinions.

The bluer the light the less it illuminates the road at night. In fact it becomes dangerous during bad weather.

Shay
6th November 2009, 02:01 PM
While you're at it you should grab some LED parkers, they always go down well (just not red ones like Shay)

OI! :p mine are white LED atm, had to put them in to take it over the pits a month back ;)

vivaaa
6th November 2009, 02:15 PM

so you rekin i should go for the diamond or the crystal bulb.....

during the rain i can always chuk high beams on.....it will make it equivalent to normal i guess or close to it :)

and LED parkers??? what r theyy like i know what LED's are but the parker lights.....

UnKnOwN
6th November 2009, 05:30 PM
ive used both of these and they're really good, except in the rain of course
and as for 4300k being too yellow.. i didnt think so, compared to the oem globes the difference is huge anyways coz oem is like 2800k? ill try take a pic later coz my cdx has 1 of each bulb in the low beams

MatsHolden
6th November 2009, 07:21 PM
In terms of a halogen bulb, the crystal vision at 4300k are what I would say go with. Stay away from the diamond vision... too blue, shit illumination.
Putting on the highbeam in the rain isn't really an option to overcome poor illumination as it will blind other drivers.
The parker globe will most likely be a W5W wedge bulb.

vivaaa
6th November 2009, 07:56 PM
ive used both of these and they're really good, except in the rain of course
and as for 4300k being too yellow.. i didnt think so, compared to the oem globes the difference is huge anyways coz oem is like 2800k? ill try take a pic later coz my cdx has 1 of each bulb in the low beams

why have u got one of each in???? wouldent u want the same hahaha

arhhhh i cant decide weather diamond or crystal......i just want it like the colour the new BMW's what and all those new euro cars with HID's....would that be closer to diamond or crystal

i defs wanna see some blue so it looks HID-ish

MatsHolden
6th November 2009, 08:36 PM
why have u got one of each in???? wouldent u want the same hahaha

arhhhh i cant decide weather diamond or crystal......i just want it like the colour the new BMW's what and all those new euro cars with HID's....would that be closer to diamond or crystal

i defs wanna see some blue so it looks HID-ish

I've got crystals in my projectors and they look white/blue when looking at the car on the road.

vivaaa
6th November 2009, 08:49 PM
I've got crystals in my projectors and they look white/blue when looking at the car on the road.

could u get a pic by any chance

MatsHolden
6th November 2009, 09:08 PM
could u get a pic by any chance

Ahh yeah, photos are a bit deceptive though, but i'll see what I can do.

MatsHolden
6th November 2009, 09:23 PM
Here you go.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/headlight1.jpg

vivaaa
6th November 2009, 09:56 PM
oh kk yer that looks pretty white hey but not alot of blue......may just be the pic tho

UnKnOwN
7th November 2009, 03:29 PM
1 blew and bought a pair to replace but i cbf replacing the other 1 coz the astra is a pain in the ass to change

UnKnOwN
16th November 2009, 02:44 AM
heres the pic... left is diamond vision, right is crystal vision

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/239/photo342f.jpg

Vectracious
16th November 2009, 07:53 AM
I ran diamond visions in the Veccy and Astra for years - yeah they look alright but the loss of illumination was a pain in the arse to live with.

As rjastra said, get some vision plus or something similar - yeah they are yellow but at least you can see better.

Or maybe its just a young thing - might be getting old.... :o

ROCCO
17th November 2009, 10:51 PM
Well you are driving a bus now?? Be it a very fast one....

Vectracious
18th November 2009, 08:32 PM
Well you are driving a bus now?? Be it a very fast one....

yeah I know, can't get anymore "old man" than a Passat. Yes, it might have been the fastest production VW so far (I think until the R20 is out), but I still have the little tin of Barley sugars rattling around the centre console :p

ROCCO
20th November 2009, 11:19 PM
lol...for some reason...the smell of mouth balls comes to mind....weird