PDA

View Full Version : Crank angle sensor

Doc
4th November 2009, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I popped in to get some information regarding replacing the crank angle sensor on a TS Astra. As this is a common fault I would of thought you'd have some info here. I have done a search here but cant seem to find anything???

CNBLU
4th November 2009, 12:10 PM
What engine buddy?

Doc
4th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Z18xe

CNBLU
4th November 2009, 12:22 PM
and what is it that you need to know?

Doc
4th November 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm after a guide on replacing the crank angle sensor.

DirtyHarry
4th November 2009, 02:18 PM
mate very simple.
1. unscrew the bolt
2. unplug the cable
3. take sensor out
4. put new sensor in
5. screw in the bolt
6. connect the cable

drive responsibly.

Doc
4th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Good stuff. Thnx m8.
Now where excactly is it?

DirtyHarry
4th November 2009, 03:40 PM
i believe its at the front lower part of the engine near the gear box/radiator

nuggz
4th November 2009, 04:02 PM
From TIS

it looks to be at the front just to the right of the downpipe
when your under the car

DirtyHarry
4th November 2009, 09:50 PM
mate its so easy to do it, ive unplugged the sensor and even taken it out a few times, as ive found that when you take the oil filter off, the excess oil drains past the sensor each time.
so i used to unplug it, plug the hole, drain the oil and then degrease that whole area.
youll also find that the new sensor should have a rubber o ring around it... (well youd hope, otherwise youll have a minor oil leak)

Doc
26th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Ok, Ive replaced the crank angle sensor and the coolant temp sensor and I've still got problems with this thing.
I hope someone here can help.

The engine just dies when hot at low revs and then wont start till it has cooled down. I've had it to a mechanics to get it checked for error codes with a tech 2 tool. No errors.

When it dies I get no engine light on the dash when I turn the ignition to the on position.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7486/011xb.jpg

Once she cools down I get full lights again with the ignition in the on position, and away she goes, no problem.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1396/012n.jpg

I'm hearing a click from the engine bay when I turn the ignition on when I get lights on the dash but not when they are out. I take it the click has nothing to do with it other than power to the system.

lithium
26th November 2009, 06:22 PM
it could be the coil pack - they can cause this sort of problem
have you looked here?

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63293&page=3

Doc
26th November 2009, 06:41 PM
Just reading that thread, a crook coil pack seems to make the engine run rough etc. Engine performes faultlesly until she dies or wont start. As soon as I get the engine light on the dash, it starts again and runs perfectly.

CNBLU
26th November 2009, 06:45 PM
cam sensor maybe?

if you dont have any codes it could be a tricky one.

Doc
26th November 2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah, theres a few maybe's that it could be. After already throwing money at it with no result, I'd like to narrow it down a bit.
Really pissed off with it.

CNBLU
26th November 2009, 07:12 PM
how does it idle?

have you cleaned the throttle body? changed spark plugs? maybe dislodged a vacuum hose somewhere?

Doc
26th November 2009, 07:23 PM
It idles and runs pefectly. I havent done any work on it recently either.

CNBLU
26th November 2009, 07:31 PM
i would have a mechanic check your throttle body or ICV (idle controlvalve)

Its definatly not any of your sensors as this would throw p a code

CNBLU
26th November 2009, 07:38 PM
Try this

http://www.astraownersclub.com/documents/technical/TB.pdf

Doc
26th November 2009, 07:59 PM
I hit that link and got this:

Bandwidth Costs Money!

Please do not support sites that steal our links and suck our bandwidth. You may still download our files but we would like you to have a look around on our site also.

To download our Technical Guides visit this page (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=138).

You may also get this page if you have privacy software or a firewall blocking the HTTP_REFERER. Please disable this software to use our downloads.

Your Details...

IP Address:
You Came From:
http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=519379#post519379

which technical guide was it pointing too?

CNBLU
27th November 2009, 12:24 PM
how to clean a throttle body

Doc
27th November 2009, 01:42 PM
Surley a TB could cause an electrical fault? (with no engine light in the dash I assume it has to be electrical)

lithium
27th November 2009, 03:08 PM
i think cnblu is trying to say that a dirty throttle body can cause the car to cut out at idle - which it can. Z18XEs are known to gunk up the TBs so you could try and give it a clean before trying something else :)

however it doesn't really sound like that's whats happening with your car. does the cutting out happen randomly, or only when the car reaches operating temperature, or only on hot days?

the reason i said coil pack previously is that while the normal symptoms of coil pack failure are dropping a cylinder and/or misfire, i believe cutting out when hot is also a general symptom of ignition coils starting to go bad (but not a typical one of Astra coils). it's just a guess though...perhaps now is a good time to call a Holden and talk to a tech and ask if they've seen this sort of problem before?

Doc
27th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Its a random fault. But it doesnt happen when its cold. I can leave it idling in the driveway and the fans will cut in and out but it wont fault.
I might have to have a chat with a Holden service person on Monday as you say.

CNBLU
27th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Yeh you should definatly take it to holden....:rolleyes:

*doc* ive got this random cutting out problem
*holden* hmm i really have no ****ing idea about astras
*doc* so what do you suggest?
*holden* We should start with a new AFM ($500) then an o2 sensor ($500) then if thats no good we could always replace the ECU ($2000). Would you like to leave your kidney as a deposit?