PDA

View Full Version : Off to the drags!

Rhino
30th January 2004, 09:42 AM
Went down to the Kwinana Motorplex (Perth) on Wednesday...

Got down real early and had eight runs... nice.

Best - 14.6 @ 153 kmh
Worst - 15.1 @ 151 kmh

So pretty consistent with only a half a second deficit.

I wanted low 14s but everyone I tell seems to be happy enough for me.

Go the lil Astra!

Anonymous
30th January 2004, 03:21 PM
Dude, their some good times there. Well done.
Only a few more mods and you'll be into the 13's hopefully.

astra_city
30th January 2004, 05:56 PM
Yeah they're some great times! I know you've done turbo back exhaust and intake...if that's all then even more impressive.
Especially since the motorplex can be pretty slippery for street tyres, that's what my brother noticed when he dragged his car there a while back. Did you have any traction problems?

I'm gonna take my car down there soon, see what the mighty 1.8 is made of :D

mr_astra_retired
30th January 2004, 08:02 PM
14.6 -----> Impressive , also like to know what other mods besides exhaust and intake do you have.

With a few more mods that thing will be into the 13s , should give most cars on the road a scare :lol:

Rhino
31st January 2004, 04:24 PM
GReddy Profec B Spec II EBC

Running about a .7 bar (plateau)

Used to spike at .8 and then drop to about .6 and then slowly climb back up towards the top of the dyno run.

Wouldn't mind getting more boost but engine management is being a propper whore! I'm either gonna wait until someone else finds out what to do or leave it.

I'm happy enough.

Ideally -- MoTec. and high 200 hp to the wheels... That's a 4g investment I don't wanna make tho.

Anonymous
1st February 2004, 12:29 PM
Hey Rhino Good times very impresive. :D

But not quite STI times as you thought you would get :shock:

I guess he really was playing with you :lol:

mr_astra_retired
1st February 2004, 08:50 PM
Oh i wouldnt say playing , rhinos car is very quick , with a 14.6 and a STi would run about a 13.8??? So its quite possible with the early boosting of the astra . over the quarter the STI would win for sure but you never know what can happen on the street over a short distance :wink:

astra_city
1st February 2004, 11:42 PM
yeah true but STi's are beasts :D Although I do love the new model STi's...my dad used to have one (slightly modified that ran 12.9/13.0) whcih was an awesome car.

However stock, like the one Rhino beat accross the street, you have to get a good launch to get into the 13's. They really are pig's down low below 3500-4000. A unichip and exhaust makes them boost from a bit over 2000 though!

If he just slipped it from like 3k rpm and didnt dump..quite possible for the STi to be running in the mid 14's. And would definitley be beaten to 80/100km/h

Rhino
2nd February 2004, 10:30 AM
I guess he really was playing with you :lol:

Yeah I got beat! [ Rhino swallows a mouthful o' words ] :)

Good example is cruise last night tho. Rolling run with a modded VN SS, kicked his arse.

Drag from the lights - even!

Anonymous
2nd February 2004, 08:52 PM
Well done rhino it sure feels good to beat a Bogan in a commodore

Good to see you dont take me to seriously and yes they are good numbers that you pull

mr_astra_retired
2nd February 2004, 09:08 PM
LOL :lol: the commodore bogans must be used to gettin beat on the street now by 4 cylinders :lol:

Astra_Dan
8th March 2004, 05:43 PM
Rhino, can you remember what the temperature was the day you went down the quarter mile.

Just wanted to see how much difference the temperature makes on our car's. I ran down the Townsville dragway on Saturday night for a dismal 15.42 at 144km/hr. Was very dissapointed :cry:

I had 11 runs and posted mostly 15.5's with only two 15.4's. All I can put it down to is the temperature at the time which was 30'C(even with my last run being at 11pm), and a very slippery track. Or should I just face the fact that I can't drive :oops:

Has anyone else got any offical times for the Astra Turbo?

By the way I have got a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust and a Uni Filter with a custom heat sheild.

mr_astra_retired
8th March 2004, 05:49 PM
I havent as yet , but hopefully will go down to WSID to have a few runs .

Those times you got Dan could be a problem from the heat escpesially with a pod filter , heat soak is a real bitch , so maybe a cooler day is what you need .

Rhino
8th March 2004, 06:18 PM
I had 11 runs and posted mostly 15.5's with only two 15.4's.

Can't remember the temp. Definitely nowhere near 30 tho!

That's not so bad though. I posted 15s WITH a boost controller. Having been a couple of times though you learn a few things and then I got it down to 14.4.

Ouch! 11 runs. Fella you gotta let the mobile cool down! The first time I went down I did the same, got 8 runs in and stayed around the 14.8 - 15.1 area.

The second time I did two runs, parked up and left the bonnet open and went spectating for 15 - 20 mins so that the temp went ALL THE WAY down.

Or you can just flip the bonnet while you are in your lane waiting.

When your lane starts moving, your car will have enough time to get back up to normal operating temp for your next run - but won't be gasping!

My times only got better that night as I was giving the car a rest and the temp dropped.

You can try lowering your tyres to about 20psi also if traction is a problem.

astra_city
8th March 2004, 11:24 PM
Rhino and anyother Perth people
We should all try and go down to Motorplex one street meet and show the crowd what Opel Power is all about :D
Only problem is I'll be running with a stock Astra 1.8 with only induction done and Rhino will be running mid 14's with his Turbo haha. Still would be great fun!

Any of you going to sport compact meet this sat. night?? I'm gonna try and go down...although my school ball is this friday and depending how screwed i am after afterball will depend if i go. I've already decided to not enter in my go kart open meeting...which was very hard :(

tofo
9th March 2004, 02:50 AM
Rhino, can you remember what the temperature was the day you went down the quarter mile.

Just wanted to see how much difference the temperature makes on our car's. I ran down the Townsville dragway on Saturday night for a dismal 15.42 at 144km/hr. Was very dissapointed :cry:

I had 11 runs and posted mostly 15.5's with only two 15.4's. All I can put it down to is the temperature at the time which was 30'C(even with my last run being at 11pm), and a very slippery track. Or should I just face the fact that I can't drive :oops:

Has anyone else got any offical times for the Astra Turbo?

By the way I have got a full 3" mandrel bent exhaust and a Uni Filter with a custom heat sheild.
Motor mag always quote 15.22 @ 150.3

kosmik
10th March 2004, 09:58 PM
RHINO
Went cruising in Perth on Friday night... good results...

Went up against an '02 WRX STi and beat him twice! Was well chuffed. He was stock and not getting good starts... I realise that, but impressed none-the-less.

Then had a rolling run with another of the same build but modded (low 12s for the 1/4).

Here's what he had to say...

Quote:
The Astra went hard....definitely the most responsive turbo car I've seen in a long time!!

Going up to Pinnaroo Point, the Astra was next to me and Ryan nailed it, and I nailed it also....by the time my turbo spooled up, the Astra was already in front of me in my lane!!! I'm sure I would have probably caught it when the turbo came on full boost, but hey, too little too late.

Go the Astra!

I've replaced intake and exhaust, installed GReddy EBC - so don't try that stock!

- 215HP at the boots -

DO U REMEMBER POSTING THIS :?: if yes than:
DO U KNOW HOW FAST IS STOCK STI IS :?: if yes than:
WHAT BOOST DO U RUN :?:
the reason that im asking u is coz,i got 153KW AT THE WHILLS and i run 1/4 m in 14.01 and when i line up against an STI i got NO HOPE. :cry:
sory bro but i dont belive u :wink:

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 10:49 PM
Rolling start dude...

Rhino
11th March 2004, 11:49 AM
DO U REMEMBER POSTING THIS :?: if yes than:
DO U KNOW HOW FAST IS STOCK STI IS :?: if yes than:
WHAT BOOST DO U RUN :?:
the reason that im asking u is coz,i got 153KW AT THE WHILLS and i run 1/4 m in 14.01 and when i line up against an STI i got NO HOPE. :cry:
sory bro but i dont belive u :wink: [/b]

Yeah absolutely I remember writing that.

I don't know how fast a stock STi is, I know they're 195 kW
(Me 190kW - Now remember, FWD is the MOST efficient drive train)

I'm running .8 - .9 boost. about 14 psi I think.

4WD are good for launching but then become inefficient. Like I said, he probably didn't get a good start.

As for the modded STi - Like Paul said, did you line him up or was it a rolling start? When I beat Joe it was a 100km rolling start - that somewhat changes the scenario because it takes the launch advantage away. And as Joe admitted, his turbo hadn't spooled up yet. He would have creamed me but I don't plan on dragging ppl at 150+kmh! It's all in the start, rolling or at the lights... that's where you get beat.

Also, please note everyone that I'm not here to post bullsh!t - that's why I quoted what Joe wrote on another forum.

Some of you may want to check that forum out actually - Good bunch o ppl.
http://www.adultmovies.bz/~mandy/phpBB2/index.php

Rhino
11th March 2004, 11:52 AM
i got 153KW AT THE WHILLS and i run 1/4 m in 14.01

Sorry bro but i dont belive u :wink:

How did you pull that?
160 at the wheels only netted me a 14.404!

Did you mess with your tyre pressure?

Can you post your splits? I'll hunt mine down and see where we differ.

Anonymous
11th March 2004, 03:58 PM
a better indication of power is your terminal speed at the drags you will notice that wrx run low et but dont have very high terminal speeds the launch affects the et a big time ive been in a wrx with a full throttle clutch dump very violent

kosmik
11th March 2004, 04:38 PM
RHINO
160 at the wheels only netted me a 14.404!
THATS B COUSE U GOT TRACTION CONTROLL :cry:
DO U ACTUALY KNOW HOW IT WORKS :?:
IT APLIES BRACKES WHEN U START LOOSING TRACTION :cry:
stock STI puls about 13.08 or 13.09 not sure :twisted:
u saing that u do 14.404!
so tell me how does that work :?:

kosmik
11th March 2004, 04:41 PM
ultrabluesxi
at least u know what im talking about :D

kosmik
11th March 2004, 04:47 PM
RHINO
Can you post your splits? I'll hunt mine down and see where we differ.

any body can post splits :wink:
but how do i know they r yours :?:

Rhino
11th March 2004, 05:50 PM
THATS B COUSE U GOT TRACTION CONTROLL
DO U ACTUALY KNOW HOW IT WORKS
IT APLIES BRACKES WHEN U START LOOSING TRACTION
stock STI puls about 13.08 or 13.09 not sure
u saing that u do 14.404!
so tell me how does that work

Do I know what traction control does? Don't patronise me

Apparently it "APLIES [sic] BRACKES [sic] WHEN U START LOOSING [sic]TRACTION"

Did you know I've got a button to turn it off?

You really gotta learn how to read Kosmik. If we have established that a WRX / STi has a "violent" launch - and like I have said earlier - the guy gets a crap start, then considering we match on kW I'm gonna have a better run....

Yeah I know I've got traction control, yes I know how it works, it actually reduces engine power as well - doesn't appear that you knew that. I also have ESP which enhances torque steer - so I turn that off too - did you know that?

any body can post splits :wink:
but how do i know they r yours :?:

Cos I'm not here to waste ppls time.

kosmik
11th March 2004, 06:03 PM
RHINO
NO POINT TALKING ABOUT IT :roll:
THIS IS THE FACT:
stock STI puls about 13.08 or 13.09 not sure
u saying that u do 14.404!
how does that work ?

PS. IT'S LIKE ME SAYING THAT I BEAT A PORSHE, BUT NOT MENTIONING THAT IT WAS PARKED AT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD :wink:

Rhino
11th March 2004, 06:21 PM
You are doing my head in.

There are many factors to take into consideration and given those, on the encounter that I had with the guy - I won.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept?
Why do you quote figures like they're gospel?

The last I checked, I don't claim to have beaten anyone on the 1/4 or 0-100 or in an egg and spoon race.

All I claim to have done is:
1. beat a guy that got a crap start and then hold my lead
2. spool up and accelerate quicker than another one

Check the emotion and chip on ya shoulder at the door.

kosmik
11th March 2004, 06:35 PM
RHINO

All I claim to have done is:
1. beat a guy that got a crap start and then hold my lead
2. spool up and accelerate quicker than another one

than dont say that u bit the STI :roll:
NOTHING AGENST ASTRAS I GOT 1 MYSELF,BUT STI is STI :wink:

astra_city
11th March 2004, 11:25 PM
I don't get why people are arguing so much about this - it is perfectly possible and I don't doubt it one bit that Rhino would have beaten an STi off the line by quite a bit and been able to hold that lead upto a decent speed. At higher speeds the STi would have taken him sure, but he never said it wouldn't.

I love STi's - my dad owned a modified one until just recently when he sold it - but stock standard they are really pretty sluggish below 3800-4000rpm. A unichip and exhaust fixes that of course, but I assume this one was stock. If you didn't get a good slip off the line and bogged down to say 1500rpm like a normal takeoff...you could literally count the seconds before it boosted up in first gear. In that time Rhino would have pulled a decent lead. Oh and by the way, stock STi's run mid 13's - 13.5 approximately. Our one with Unichip and turbo back exhaust ran 13.0 at the motorplex...ahh what a beast that was :D

One other point..not everyone is the best driver out there either! ANd like I said you need a very good launch in a STOCK STi to get anywhere near those times....a bad launch would put you well into the 14's without question. Something that got me really frustratred was when I read in the latest Motor performance car of the year the performance figures for the Lamborghini Gallardo - 5.5secs 0-100 and 13.4 1/4 mile! :x I haven't read the article so hopefully something went wrong...but this is a low 4 second and 12 second car! Goes to show that the best times aren't always the time each person will achieve.

astra_city
11th March 2004, 11:38 PM
ok just re read whole post and it appears that it was a rolling drag.
Still this all applies. If it was off the line and he got a bad launch, 14 second 1/4's for the STi would be very reasonable estimates. Rolling, if he was below 3800/4000rpm when he booted it, turbo lag is still huge. by the time he was boosting, like HE said HIMSELF, Rhino would be quite a bit infront. If he had kicked it back to say 3rd gear and was in the boost zone, then yes, it would be all over. But if caught out in that dredded 0-4000rpm zone, the Sti will be the one doing the reeling in.
Why Subaru couldn't release the car with decent low down urge puzzles me...They should just releae them with a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and aftermarket chip - when we had that installed it was like another car!! Was boosting from a bit over 2000rpm 8) Will be good when the latest Japanese spec STi comes with the new twin scroll turbo and also the 2.5L STi.

tmov81
12th March 2004, 07:50 AM
I dont see why people are stressing so much...

There are so many external factors that cant be controlled [ie the other drivers psychological state (eg anxiety, arousal, anger etc), the condition of the other drivers car (eg thrashed and subsequent worn mechanics, poor/old oil, poor fuel, worn tires, additional weight in the car, centre of gravity), the weather (eg hot/cold, wet/dry, humidity) the individuals psychological state and car condition] all of these factors are going to have an effect beyond the manufacturers quoted flywheel power output not to mention that in a rolling start it is very possible that one driver will put the pedal to the floor before the other driver. So i dont see why some people are stressing out so much when there are so many factors. I know that i have boxed a non-STI WRX behind a bus when he had like 20km/h over me and ran out of room (it would have been a 100m run) Hell if i took out my spare tyre and back seats, had 10% fuel in my car (BP Ultimate of course) and ran a rolling start against an sti where i had a 1 second headstart on putting the pedal to the floor i know that i could give an STI a decent run for their money if some of the psych/environmental/car factors were in my favour too (such as a bus being in the STI's lane a couple of meters up the road :P)...

Rhino
12th March 2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys for your support.

Kosmic: Thanks for the attitude readjustment.

Jass
12th March 2004, 11:38 AM
Well my plan is to have the fastest Astra in OZ BOOOOOOOOAAAHHHHHHAAAAAA (evil laugh) but i think my funds will run dry way before :P

kosmik
12th March 2004, 05:17 PM
all i know is, if i had a drag with someboby and he or she had a shit take of or somthing else, than im not going 2 say that i won the race :?

simple is that :wink:

astra_city
13th March 2004, 04:45 PM
winning's winning :wink:
if they can't pull consistent times on the street then in the real world, you did win.