View Full Version : New Golf GTD

TheOperator
28th October 2009, 01:21 PM
Interesting read for all the VW lovers here

Golf GTI diesel set for Australia
JEZ SPINKS
October 28, 2009 - 11:16AM

VW Golf GTI
The Volkswagen Golf GTD looks set to be heading Down Under as the efficiency push hits the hot hatch brigade.

Volkswagen Australia is planning to introduce a diesel version of its iconic GTI hot-hatch by the end of 2009.

The German brand has just released its sixth-generation Golf GTI locally, and believes Australia is ready for the GTD version already on sale in Europe.

“We are thinking about bringing as well this [diesel GTI] version into the Australian market,” says Volkswagen Australia boss Anke Koeckler.

“We have big competence in diesel and we have still a kind of USP [in Australia]; before at times we have had about 50 per cent of the [local] diesel market just with VW, even if that has changed a bit because competitors have seen there is a good opportunity with diesel.

“Diesel is [now] well regarded in the Australian market. And from the point of the environment, you have [with the GTD] a very great ratio on performance combined with [low] fuel consumption.”

The Golf GTD is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel. At 125kW it has 30kW less than the GTI but boasts an extra 70Nm of torque (350Nm).

Volkswagen’s GTD would follow diesel hot-hatches from Renault (Sport Megane dCi 175) and sister company Skoda (RS TDI).

The GTD is 1.2 seconds slower (8.1sec) in the 0-100km/h acceleration run, though offers a significant fuel economy advantage – 5.3 litres per 100km v 7.6L/100km (GTI DSG). Emissions are 139 grams (CO2) per km v 178g/km.

As with the GTI, the GTD is available with a choice of manual or dual-clutch auto gearboxes – both with six ratios.

Volkswagen says the GTD is “aimed at diesel drivers who value maximum dynamics”. In Europe it’s priced slightly below the GTI that starts at $38,990 in Australia for a three-door manual version.

The GTD sits on sports suspension and 17-inch alloy wheels.

It looks near-identical to the GTI with the same front bumper, honeycomb grille and headlights, though gets chromed stripes at the front instead of the iconic hot-hatch’s trademark horizontal red stripes.

Volkswagen Australia has yet to officially confirm the diesel GTI, though says it is much closer to signing off the business case than it is for the Golf-based Scirocco coupe.

“We are still considering Scirocco,” says Koeckler, “ but for now we are focusing on launch of GTI. Then we will see if there is still a need for the Scirocco.

“We always to make sure there is potential for volume for a car. If it’s only 200 or 300 cars, it’s not affordable [as a business case]. It still has to be a profitable for the dealers. We would need to sell 500 at least.”

Volkswagen’s fastest ever Golf, the 199kW R, will definitely be on the boat to Australia, due about mid 2010. The all-wheel-drive Golf R is claimed to sprint from 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds.

Calibrated
28th October 2009, 01:27 PM
of course there is still a need for the scirocco. different target audience to the golf.

i'll have an R20 Scirocco in white..

please.

rjastra
28th October 2009, 02:15 PM
I had a 20+min drive of a new VI GTI on the weekend. Very impressive.

btm
28th October 2009, 02:32 PM
i'll have an r20 scirocco in white..

+1

Wraith
28th October 2009, 04:39 PM
F*#K the Golfs, they are afterall one of the gayest cars ever made LOL...refer here:http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24664

Bring in the Scirocco already FFS VW Aust. that's what everybody wants...:yesnod:

mania
28th October 2009, 04:42 PM
Really cannot understand why they're not :(

The Mk6 Golfs have the same front at least. The old ones used to be so plain.

Wraith
28th October 2009, 04:48 PM
Really cannot understand why they're not :(

The Mk6 Golfs have the same front at least. The old ones used to be so plain.

Except for the front (as you said, it's almost identicle to the Scirocco) the side and rear profile of the Mk6 are even plainer than the old one IMHO...

Been and checked them out a number of times now, side on they just look like a plain block with wheels, there's no styling at all, very boring looking vehicle...

I suppose that's why on the Golf add, they only ever show it from front on angles - noticed that ??? ;)

mania
28th October 2009, 05:05 PM
Mm unsure. Found the old one to be so plain (besides from the wheels perhaps) that I find it hard to compare aesthetically to anything :p. You could well be right. In any case they definitely haven't changed the sides/rear by much.

gmonkey
28th October 2009, 07:07 PM
Tg uk hated this car. Said was sluggish and slow and very under done for price.

USC
28th October 2009, 09:59 PM
Except for the front (as you said, it's almost identicle to the Scirocco) the side and rear profile of the Mk6 are even plainer than the old one IMHO...

Been and checked them out a number of times now, side on they just look like a plain block with wheels, there's no styling at all, very boring looking vehicle...

I suppose that's why on the Golf add, they only ever show it from front on angles - noticed that ??? ;)

+1 New Golf is extremely boring! I reckon a Corolla has better lines!

Vectracious
29th October 2009, 07:55 AM
wait for the R20 :D

Wraith
29th October 2009, 08:46 AM
+1 New Golf is extremely boring! I reckon a Corolla has better lines!

Agree...

Both the Corolla and even the Yaris have better lines and look a whole lot better than any of the 'cooking' model Golfs...

Even something basic like my new Honda City VTiL kills a basic Golf in the looks department :)

cdti
29th October 2009, 08:52 AM
Pfft! 125kW/350Nm... Why don't they just put the greenbox on them from factory and make some decent power? My X-Trail has a Renault 2L diesel and it is 127 and 360 from factory. I'm still awaiting the greenbox for the Astra, but it is supposed to be 145kW/400Nm then. Bye Bye Golf.

Wraith
29th October 2009, 09:05 AM
Pfft! 125kW/350Nm... Why don't they just put the greenbox on them from factory and make some decent power? My X-Trail has a Renault 2L diesel and it is 127 and 360 from factory. I'm still awaiting the greenbox for the Astra, but it is supposed to be 145kW/400Nm then. Bye Bye Golf.

I suppose you could tune anyone of them that you get your hands on...

If your serious about TD then you need to get yourself something other than even an AH with a green box...although at least the AH is a cheap option unless you go for a TD Cruze...

The new TD powered BMW's will be available from from early next year, you could get yourself a base variant 1 series hatch (50k+) with the twin turbo 4 pot diesel donk that's rated at 150kw and 400nm stock, with a remap they go to 175kw and 500+nm...

Stock they run 0-100km/h in 6.9sec (factory claim)...

mania
29th October 2009, 10:33 AM
Impressive motor, but unless they've managed a decent 5500rpm+ redline quite hard to believe that 6.9s claim... especially considering RWD losses.

Clutch dump maybe?

USC
29th October 2009, 11:03 AM
Agree...

Both the Corolla and even the Yaris have better lines and look a whole lot better than any of the 'cooking' model Golfs...

Even something basic like my new Honda City VTiL kills a basic Golf in the looks department :)

yeah..I quite like the new City. Is VTiL the top of the range? or do they have a sport version?

oh..wait until the new corolla comes out in december :D ...Ive seen pics and they look HOT! There is even a hybrid potentially coming out but would probably not be released in OZ.

Wraith
29th October 2009, 11:52 AM
Impressive motor, but unless they've managed a decent 5500rpm+ redline quite hard to believe that 6.9s claim... especially considering RWD losses.

Clutch dump maybe?

Factory claims are nearly always exaggerated...

Most 'real life' verified tests fall anywhere from 0.5-1.2secs slower in the 0-100km/h sprint...

But yeah as said turbo diesels still need to come a long way before they've got any hope of matching petrol engines in acceleration times...whilst in gear acceleration at certain rev/speed points is excellent, most TD vehicles these days will have 0-100km/h acceleration times anywhere from 8.5 - 11sec hardly impressive, when you can get the same from alot of basic 4 pot petrol powered cars and those cars will have a similar fuel burn figure using petrol...

Wraith
29th October 2009, 11:56 AM
yeah..I quite like the new City. Is VTiL the top of the range? or do they have a sport version?

oh..wait until the new corolla comes out in december :D ...Ive seen pics and they look HOT! There is even a hybrid potentially coming out but would probably not be released in OZ.

Yes the VTiL is the top of the range, there's only one other the VTi and no sports model...

It's for one of the kids, but I like driving it too, (since I paid for it LOL) it's not a bad little sedan...:)

I'm looking forward to some of these new releases over the next 12-18 months too, any pics of this new Corolla...:)

cdti
29th October 2009, 12:25 PM
As suggested, the problem in getting the TD off the mark quickly is how fast they make it through the rev range, making gear shifts fairly quickly, as well as actually getting traction off the mark. Big torque low down (especially FWD) makes traction difficult.

I was similarly quick at the track the other day with a supercharged mini and a GTI Polo, both of whom used significantly greater amounts of fuel than I did at the track.

GreyRex
29th October 2009, 01:12 PM
As suggested, the problem in getting the TD off the mark quickly is how fast they make it through the rev range, making gear shifts fairly quickly, as well as actually getting traction off the mark. Big torque low down (especially FWD) makes traction difficult.

I was similarly quick at the track the other day with a supercharged mini and a GTI Polo, both of whom used significantly greater amounts of fuel than I did at the track.

What's your point?

They're turbo/supercharged petrol... you're a diesel

It's pretty much a given

mania
29th October 2009, 02:25 PM
To be similarly quick isn't though, which is his point.

rjastra
29th October 2009, 02:27 PM

Not sure what you have been smoking

Honda City:
http://images.paultan.org/images2/LHD-2009-Honda-City-1-Large.jpg

rjastra
29th October 2009, 02:35 PM
To be similarly quick isn't though, which is his point.

But they aren't are they? For example... the GTI vs GTD. The GTD is a moderately fast diesel yet is 1.5-2sec slower to 100 than the only modestly fast GTI.

In gears you say.... i reckon a GTI is just as fast in gears as the GTD and has a useable rev range twice as broad meaning you are less likely to be in the wrong gear at any particular time.

Fuel consumption is the biggie for diesels BUT they do have the advantage of:
1. No pumping losses due to no throttle plate
2. Diesel actually has 15% energy in it than petrol (and more carbon)

As manufacturers turn their engineering attention back to petrol engine efficiency then I think you will see the gap shrink. Apparently Mazda has some new petrol engines on the way that give a 30% fuel economy benefit over their current small car engines. Much easier to scrub the exhaust clean of a petrol car to.

USC
29th October 2009, 02:56 PM
The new Corolla Hybrid (New facelift will look the same but will not have the solar panel sunroof and blue interior - I have seen pics at a dealership..They have not posted pics on the internet yet):

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/0/F1241B0521FA7DC5CA257631000284B3/%24file/Toyota_Auris_HSD_Hybrid_Large.jpg%3FOpenElement&imgrefurl=http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F1241B0521FA7DC5CA257631000284B3&usg=__c1XKCJ6sUoyhWAOg-3w_ekyA7MY=&h=266&w=500&sz=29&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=_Jze8FXaHIpqPM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D2010%2Bcorolla%2Bhybrid%26hl%3Den%26r lz%3D1T4GGLJ_enAU319AU320%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Wraith
29th October 2009, 04:42 PM
Not sure what you have been smoking

Honda City:
http://images.paultan.org/images2/LHD-2009-Honda-City-1-Large.jpg

Yep that's the one and even in the worst colour it comes in (the pic you've decided to show LOL) it still looks better than the cooking model Golfs IMHO...especially side and back on, even in that frontal aspect it looks better...

As said soooo many times and I'm sure most people agree, if the Golf Mk6 didn't have the Sciroccos front end, it'd be a total blank on the looks radar ;)

If you seriously think a basic Golf is good looking, bar the front end, I'd say your on the weed :D (jk) :p

Wraith
29th October 2009, 04:48 PM
The new Corolla Hybrid (New facelift will look the same but will not have the solar panel sunroof and blue interior - I have seen pics at a dealership..They have not posted pics on the internet yet):

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/0/F1241B0521FA7DC5CA257631000284B3/%24file/Toyota_Auris_HSD_Hybrid_Large.jpg%3FOpenElement&imgrefurl=http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F1241B0521FA7DC5CA257631000284B3&usg=__c1XKCJ6sUoyhWAOg-3w_ekyA7MY=&h=266&w=500&sz=29&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=_Jze8FXaHIpqPM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D2010%2Bcorolla%2Bhybrid%26hl%3Den%26r lz%3D1T4GGLJ_enAU319AU320%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Nice, I like the wheels and other subtle changes, as mentioned earlier the current Corolla and even Yaris are quite attractive vehicles...

Blue lensed headlight panels, few vehicles withthis now means you don't have to get upgraded blue lensed bulbs...

mania
29th October 2009, 05:12 PM
"upgraded" blue lensed bulbs? Personally I think their light output's terrible :o

And I'd take the Mk6 Golf in looks over that thing any day :p. Because you know what? It does have the scirocco front end. ;) No point playing around with "if it didn'ts".

USC
29th October 2009, 05:51 PM
"upgraded" blue lensed bulbs? Personally I think their light output's terrible :o

And I'd take the Mk6 Golf in looks over that thing any day :p. Because you know what? It does have the scirocco front end. ;) No point playing around with "if it didn'ts".

yep..good luck and happy motoring...

I much prefer the look of the City ..at least it looks futuristic and different, The golf looks as ugly as cow poo and as boring as watching paint dry...and it has crappy VW reliability.

and the scirocco front end is actually nicer looking than the golf 6.

rjastra
29th October 2009, 06:09 PM
The facelifted corolla doesn't look much different to the current one. Maybe a nip/tuck with the bumpers. Hopefully there will be some new tech under the sheetmetal.. like an auto with more than 4 speeds and ESP standard :)

The current Corolla is a lot better styled than the old one. And I like the styling of the Yaris. Actually I think the Camry is better proportioned than either the new Liberty or Mazda 6.

RE: Honda City... whats the point of this car? It's in the price range of a Civic Sedan.

USC
29th October 2009, 06:20 PM
The new Corolla gets ESP standard. Auto box is not changing....that will come with new model..not facelift...manual gets 6 speed..same as pre-facelift I guess. Engine is same dual vvti .... it is not a new model...

yes, it does not look much different but it looks more sporty and aggressive.

Wraith
29th October 2009, 09:45 PM
The facelifted corolla doesn't look much different to the current one. Maybe a nip/tuck with the bumpers. Hopefully there will be some new tech under the sheetmetal.. like an auto with more than 4 speeds and ESP standard :)

The current Corolla is a lot better styled than the old one. And I like the styling of the Yaris. Actually I think the Camry is better proportioned than either the new Liberty or Mazda 6.

RE: Honda City... whats the point of this car? It's in the price range of a Civic Sedan.

Agree with the above, only I think the new Mazda 6 is a very good looking and well proportioned vehicle, if it weren't so big, I'd seriously consider one (the TD luxury variant) as a new daily drive for myself...

As for the Honda City - it was my missus' and her daughters decision in the end, not mine, everybody has their own personal preference ;) in their words/comments in the many weeks we went shopping around and leading up to the purchase of the City, the Civic sedan looks like a grandpas car, the Golf looks plain and ugly (remember not long ago I checked them all out extensively along with them), the Eos they loved, the Passat R36 they thought was ok (that's the one I really loved) the Mazda 3 SP25 sedan they loved, the Mitsubishi Lancer they were 50/50 about (I love both the VRX and Ralliart) we looked at a whole lot of others, but they just loved and chose the City in the end :)

I do like it alot as well, it's very well styled, has a beaut interior nice little docile economical engine - perfect for a young P plater and for the price has a very good interior an excellent aircon system and a very good hi fi install - way better than what's on the base model Civic sedan for a similar price and it also has very nicely suited alloys...:)

We also drove away with it for 24k neat ;) and we're all happy with that :)

Vectracious
29th October 2009, 09:58 PM

and thats the most important thing :)

Wraith
29th October 2009, 10:03 PM
yep..good luck and happy motoring...

I much prefer the look of the City ..at least it looks futuristic and different, The golf looks as ugly as cow poo and as boring as watching paint dry...and it has crappy VW reliability.

and the scirocco front end is actually nicer looking than the golf 6.

+ 1 except for the cow poo LOL :lol:

The City I've purchased is 2/3rds or less of the cost of a base model Golf and is so much better in alot of ways...

I certainly don't think the Golf looks like cow poo LOL but it is overall plain and boring to look at, a little too conservative for my liking and believe me, alot of young and older people alike think that too...

The 'dress up' bits on the Gti's look a little better but still do nothing for me, it's a totally different story with the Scirocco :)

As USC pointed out, the best looking part being the Scirocco's front end actually does look better on the Scirocco, what they've done on the Golf is copied it but also watered it down compared to the Scirocco, it's like a cheap rip...:skep:

IMHO VW should've kept the styling of the new Golf unique and not modelled part of it on the Scirocco...

USC
29th October 2009, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=Wraith;508806
IMHO VW should've kept the styling of the new Golf unique and not modelled part of it on the Scirocco...[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more :)

rjastra
30th October 2009, 11:37 AM

Except the Civic (and golf) come with ESP as standard. perhaps the most important safety feature on a p-platers car.

USC
30th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Except the Civic (and golf) come with ESP as standard. perhaps the most important safety feature on a p-platers car.

The civic only recently introduced it as standard. The thing is if you are not a good driver, you ll crash anyway.
There are millions of cars out there without ESP. All those VN, VP, VR and VS commodores and similar falcons hardly have any good safety features..like air bags etc.

Wraith
30th October 2009, 11:52 AM

We took that into account rj (and could've waited for next year when this feature will be included in the City) but agreed that for a docile 1.5ltr engined car that won't ever be driven like it was stolen or on a track LOL it didn't worry us in the slightest ;)

Wraith
30th October 2009, 11:53 AM
The civic only recently introduced it as standard. The thing is if you are not a good driver, you ll crash anyway.
There are millions of cars out there without ESP. All those VN, VP, VR and VS commodores and similar falcons hardly have any good safety features..like air bags etc.

Exactly... :)

rjastra
3rd November 2009, 07:14 AM

And in the news... what are those P platers driving when they kill themselves and 3 of their mates?

This whole b**shit about good drivers not needing active/passive safety devices is crap. ABS, ESP, Seatbelts etc etc are all their in the one instance in your live when your or someone else makes a mistake. You must be young enough still to think you are still invulnerable or are a great driver :)