PDA

View Full Version : Springs - will Astra springs fit Veccy???

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:03 PM
Springs - are Astra & Veccy the same or similar at least???

ie. can i buy say Eibach's for an Astra G & put them in my Veccy B??

AzzA

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 10:16 PM
they will fit, but the veccy is slightly heavier is all.

courtesy of the old kings i had in my astra, and chris had in his veccy. my curiosity got me 1 day, same part number. just the veccy had a suffix for heavy duty :).

Shay
26th October 2009, 10:18 PM
oh thats gay, you're saying i could have got sportlines :mad:

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:27 PM
they will fit, but the veccy is slightly heavier is all.

courtesy of the old kings i had in my astra, and chris had in his veccy. my curiosity got me 1 day, same part number. just the veccy had a suffix for heavy duty :).

Beautiful, so if i get Sportlines for an Astra, it may lower my 2.2l Veccy a further 5-10mm i take it...

Woohoo, so hard to get decent lowered Veccy springs in OZ without paying thru the nose... If they don't do what i want, i'll just sell em straight away i spose, plenty of astra's here...

U think they will work OK with my standard shocks till i get new 1's??

Shay
26th October 2009, 10:32 PM
Beautiful, so if i get Sportlines for an Astra, it may lower my 2.2l Veccy a further 5-10mm i take it...

Woohoo, so hard to get decent lowered Veccy springs in OZ without paying thru the nose... If they don't do what i want, i'll just sell em straight away i spose, plenty of astra's here...

U think they will work OK with my standard shocks till i get new 1's??

try an extra 20mm at the back...
should still be 30mm at the front.

and the 2.2 isnt much heavier than the astras so you should be alright.

should be alright on std's for a while, but will def deteriorate a lot quicker.
if you want a decent shock to cope with the lowering but not really stiffen it up heaps id talk to greg about the Boge shocks. i have them in mine and are happy.

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 10:35 PM
well the front is gonna be practically the same weight.
if u can get the eibachs for the convertible, then they will prob be fine for the weight of the veccy.
think the veccy is like 100kg's heavier, so no major issue i spose, just load the car up with 4 big guys :p.

and i have no idea on the saftey or legality of this ;).
but theoretically they are sports coils neway, so they are 40%ish stiffer then stock (astra) 1's, so will still be stiffer then veccy 1's.

may just be the rebound is affected, not sure.

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:36 PM
try an extra 20mm at the back...
should still be 30mm at the front.

and the 2.2 isnt much heavier than the astras so you should be alright.

should be alright on std's for a while, but will def deteriorate a lot quicker.
if you want a decent shock to cope with the lowering but not really stiffen it up heaps id talk to greg about the Boge shocks. i have them in mine and are happy.

Cheers Shay, from the Eibach site though, the Sportlines for the Astra are fr=45-50mm rear=30mm.

U reckon the Veccy has a heaver ass-end?? so the back will go down as much as the front??

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 10:36 PM
they meant 5-10mm more then they would on an astra shay :p.

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 10:37 PM
longer wheelbase, so a lil more at the front, a lot more at the rear. more overhang :).

Shay
26th October 2009, 10:42 PM

ah i get it, im a R-tard, lol.

yeah you were right before mate.
will prob drop 5-10mm more than they would on an astra.

sorry to confuse you

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:42 PM

Sportline 20-65-001-01-22 Holden Astra G Sedan/Hatch 1.6 1.8 2.0 2.2

They fit the 2.2l Astra so i'm gonna give them a go, i realise with the stock shocks it will prolly be a different ride & when i replace the shocks it may go lower again, may not at all...

I have a set of Camber pins enroute from the US but will i need to adjust the camber u reckon after lowering???

Shay
26th October 2009, 10:45 PM
Sportline 20-65-001-01-22 Holden Astra G Sedan/Hatch 1.6 1.8 2.0 2.2

They fit the 2.2l Astra so i'm gonna give them a go, i realise with the stock shocks it will prolly be a different ride & when i replace the shocks it may go lower again, may not at all...

I have a set of Camber pins enroute from the US but will i need to adjust the camber u reckon after lowering???

new shocks wont actually lower it any more, infact if they are much stiffer they might raise it a lil bit.

the rear camber of the veccys is already adjustable, and the fronts wont need it.

sorry mate but you might have wasted a bit of cash there

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:48 PM
and i have no idea on the saftey or legality of this ;).
but theoretically they are sports coils neway, so they are 40%ish stiffer then stock (astra) 1's, so will still be stiffer then veccy 1's.

may just be the rebound is affected, not sure.

I won't tell if you don't...:D

What mechanic is smart enuff to recognise suspenion differences that closely anyhow?

+ i only really drive to & from work 95% of the time, the odd cruise when ppl actually show up...:p

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 10:51 PM
new shocks wont actually lower it any more, infact if they are much stiffer they might raise it a lil bit.

the rear camber of the veccys is already adjustable, and the fronts wont need it.

sorry mate but you might have wasted a bit of cash there

Only $30 odd... She's cool, maybe i can use them neway, just add a little camber to improve the veccy's already excellent handling ability - NOT!!!;)

Agree bout the shocks, i was in 2 minds when typing it...

Shay
26th October 2009, 10:56 PM
Only $30 odd... She's cool, maybe i can use them neway, just add a little camber to improve the veccy's already excellent handling ability - NOT!!!;)

Agree bout the shocks, i was in 2 minds when typing it...

dont dis it til you get the springs in, mine goes hard as....

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 11:06 PM
dont dis it til you get the springs in, mine goes hard as....

Yeah, i gotta do all the bushes in mine, has a little wander in the steering - that's another day & dollars... Do the important stuff first like make it look good...:D

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 11:19 PM
the veccy respond very well to decent shocks, cuts most of the yaw out, so it looses that u/steer mid corner they r very comon for ;).

dont get the 2.2L 1's unless it's spec for the vert, the 2.2L is a lighter engine, if y cant get vert 1's, get 1.8L 4 door sedan 1's. worst case, 2.0L turbo 1's :).

AfterBurner
26th October 2009, 11:26 PM
the veccy respond very well to decent shocks, cuts most of the yaw out, so it looses that u/steer mid corner they r very comon for ;).

dont get the 2.2L 1's unless it's spec for the vert, the 2.2L is a lighter engine, if y cant get vert 1's, get 1.8L 4 door sedan 1's. worst case, 2.0L turbo 1's :).

U talkin spring or shock??

auzvectra
26th October 2009, 11:28 PM
shocks on the 1st bit, coils on the 2nd ;)

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 09:56 AM
I spoke to the guy at Eibach, he told me that the Veccy & Astra springs are same front but the rear are totally different??? The astra rear is the balloon spring & the vectra is a straight wind???:yikes:

Anyone confirm or deny this??

auzvectra
27th October 2009, 05:40 PM
hhhhmmm, soz been a long time since i looked at em. i can confirm what he said bout the rears on the astra, and seems to make sense bout the veccy ;).

well i was 1/2 rite then :p.

auzvectra
27th October 2009, 05:40 PM
can u get the fronts only, n just stick some kings rears in?

nuggz
27th October 2009, 05:52 PM
to be honest

your buying astra springs for the veccy cos its hard to find decent springs
having springs with a different load rating, will most likely make it handle like shit and cause more bottoming out

your better off just getting kings

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 05:57 PM
to be honest

your buying astra springs for the veccy cos its hard to find decent springs
having springs with a different load rating, will most likely make it handle like shit and cause more bottoming out

your better off just getting kings

The overall weight is not drastically different is it??? Shouldn't affect handling that much + the kings only drop it 30mm if at all considerin g the sag already... I was after about 2" drop...

I may be gettin an Astra neway, leave the veccy to the missus...

nuggz
27th October 2009, 06:04 PM
The overall weight is not drastically different is it??? Shouldn't affect handling that much + the kings only drop it 30mm if at all considerin g the sag already... I was after about 2" drop...

I may be gettin an Astra neway, leave the veccy to the missus...

astra 2.2 runs a z22 block, which is alloy i believe
c22 is a cast iron block so will be a wieght difference

honestly if your just after looks
king super low springs

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 06:07 PM
astra 2.2 runs a z22 block, which is alloy i believe
c22 is a cast iron block so will be a wieght difference

honestly if your just after looks
king super low springs

Nuggz, do you know a ballpark figure for the Kings?? If not i'll call em..

I'm after both looks & performance, but don't wish to spend over $1K to do it...

nuggz
27th October 2009, 06:11 PM
Nuggz, do you know a ballpark figure for the Kings?? If not i'll call em..

I'm after both looks & performance, but don't wish to spend over $1K to do it...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Vectra-JR-JS-4cyl-1997-2003-Lowered-King-Springs_W0QQitemZ190341037924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5135bf64

thats the 30mm kit, u'd have to ask for a superlow one

for performance, rear sway bar for $200-300 odd

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 06:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Vectra-JR-JS-4cyl-1997-2003-Lowered-King-Springs_W0QQitemZ190341037924QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5135bf64

thats the 30mm kit, u'd have to ask for a superlow one

for performance, rear sway bar for $200-300 odd

Yeah, saw those on Epay... Cheers Nuggz...

I'll do the ring around 2moro.. Although hopefully the Astra im lookin at in the next day or so will be good n i can leave the veccy alone for the wife... Btw, apparently the Astra is "fully sick" :yikes: so i'm a little worried, lol... Price is OK though...

boorny88
27th October 2009, 06:42 PM
its fully sick subwoofer styles?

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 06:52 PM
its fully sick subwoofer styles?

Nah the Turbs bro, fully blows WRX's...:yikes: But not an STi... Go figure...:D

Shay
27th October 2009, 06:54 PM
TBH the 30mm drop doesnt look that bad.
The veccys always look high off the ground, you can have the tyres fully in the guards and it will still look higher than a dropped commodore or nissan 180/200/skyline...

can have a lookat the 30mm on mine if youve got 17's or nuggz if you have 18's for a reference.

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 06:57 PM
TBH the 30mm drop doesnt look that bad.
The veccys always look high off the ground, you can have the tyres fully in the guards and it will still look higher than a dropped commodore or nissan 180/200/skyline...

can have a lookat the 30mm on mine if youve got 17's or nuggz if you have 18's for a reference.

Like in ur avatar??? lol...

I have 17s.... My tyres atm seem more than 30mm off the gurads & it's original suspension afaik...

auzvectra
27th October 2009, 07:01 PM
on mine i had the kings, there was like -5mm gap btw tyres and arch with the 18's ;).

AfterBurner
27th October 2009, 07:04 PM
on mine i had the kings, there was like -5mm gap btw tyres and arch with the 18's ;).

Was that a 2.2l or 2.6l??

Kings super low or extreme low??

Cheers guys btw.. appreciate the thoughts & input...

Shay
27th October 2009, 07:07 PM
Like in ur avatar??? lol...

I have 17s.... My tyres atm seem more than 30mm off the gurads & it's original suspension afaik...

lol, thats a bit exaggerated....

well i too have 17s and on the back i dont have room to stick my finger between the wheel and guard, and on the front i can stick maybe 1.5 fingers between wheel and guard.

auzvectra
27th October 2009, 07:24 PM
2.6L, wit king lows.