PDA

View Full Version : Lexus's new SuperCar

aza28
22nd October 2009, 10:36 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already (please delete if it has).

the numbers on this thing are pretty impressive but its a got a hefty price tag to go along with it. Would anyone be willing to pay AUS$400K for a lexus??????

Taken from Carpoint.com.au --

One of the stars of the 2009 Tokyo motor show is undoubtedly the all-new Lexus LFA, a V10-powered supercar that shows Toyota's luxury brand is serious about performance.

It's got all the makings of an exotic performance car -- an aggressive, aerodynamic form, a cabin crafted from carbon fibre reinforced plastic, and extensive use of lightweight metal components, such as magnesium, titanium and aluminum alloys -- and 'that' 10-cylinder engine.

The two-seater supercar is scheduled to go into production at the end of 2010 and is powered by a 4.8-litre V10 with an eyebrow-raising 9000rpm redline. Only 500 units will be produced and eventually sold.

Peak power from the Lexus-developed 10-cylinder lump -- known internally as the 1LR-GUE -- is 412kW at 8700rpm and the engine is recessed deep into the engine bay to improve weight distribution. The full tech specs are as follows:

Engine: V10
Displacement: 4805 cc
Maximum power: 412kW @ 8700rpm
Maximum torque: 480Nm @ 6800rpm
Transmission: Six-speed ASG (Automated Sequential Gearbox)
Maximum speed: 325km/h
Acceleration (0-100km/h): 3.7secs

The front-mounted V10 engine drives the rear wheels via a new six-speed automated sequential gearbox -- complete with steering wheel paddle shifters -- that has a quartet of selectable driving modes (from chilled out to flat out) and is claimed to deliver upshift speeds of 0.2 seconds.
Furthermore, the new V10 engine features titanium valves and ultra-light rocker arms with a "diamond-like coating" that, combined with an integrated lower crankcase, helps to keep pumping losses at high revs to a minimum.

In essence, the engine should deliver solid acceleration until it butts heads with the rev limiter.

Lexus claims the bespoke 10-cylinder powerplant cranks out 90 per cent of its 480Nm of torque between 3700rpm and 9000rpm which, together with its low-slung form and light 1480kg kerb weight, would help account for its 325km/h top speed.

The exhaust system creates a "unique, exciting and inspired soundtrack" via equal-length exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust system, not to mention a multistage titanium main muffler. The induction acoustics haven't been neglected either, with 10 individual throttle bodies linked to an acoustically tuned surge tank.

Matching the engine's blistering 3.7sec 0-100km/h acceleration are "track-sized" carbon ceramic disc brakes at each corner of the LFA, which combine with an electronically controlled braking system to provide "ultra-powerful yet stable" deceleration.

The Japanese supercar makes use of dry sump engine lubrication to reduce oil surge under high G-forces, and the car's balance has been optimised by placing weighty components (such as the transmission and fuel tank) inside its 2.6-metre wheelbase.

Meanwhile the lighter components, such as the radiator and electric fans, are located behind the rear axle. This would explain the need for the bold air vents located above and below the trailing edges of the doors.

Even the driver's seat has been positioned as far inboard as possible to lower the car's centre of gravity, and Lexus has managed to achieve a front-to-rear weight distribution of 48:52.

The LFA features front double-wishbone suspension and a rear multilink suspension setup that, together with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), "provide a high level of vehicle stability and preventative safety without interfering with the driver's intentions, especially when sport driving."

The Lexus LFA's dimensions are as follows:
Length: 4505mm
Width: 1895mm
Height: 1220mm
Wheelbase: 2605mm
Track (front/rear): 1580mm / 1570mm

Weight: 1480kg
Seating: 2

With an exterior design that appears to have a similar profile to the Toyota Supra of the late 1990s, albeit with more modern styling cues, the Lexus LFA's design is the result of detailed aerodynamic engineering.
Measuring just over 4.5 metres long, the Japanese two-seater super coupe features a flat underbody and a significant rear diffuser to promote a smooth airflow underneath the vehicle. A speed-controlled rear wing helps increase downforce over the rear axle and "allows precise vehicle response at all vehicle speeds" says Lexus.

The interior of the two-seater supercar boasts a cutting-edge digitised instrument panel that is linked to a directional control pad on the steering wheel to cycle through its various systems.

The LFA also appears to have a system similar to the Lexus RX series 'Remote Touch' Haptic Interface. Leather bucket seats speak of Lexus' luxury heritage and a leather-on-carbonfibre flat bottom steering wheel.
Production on the Lexus LFA will begin at the end of 2010 and sales are expected to begin in 2011. Pricing is expected to be around €250,000, which is about A$405,000 or US$375,000. There is also talk of a track-focussed special edition model in 2012.

pics here:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/sports/lexus/lexus-lfa-supercar-17139

Wraith
22nd October 2009, 11:19 AM
LF-A has been around and on the cards for some time now...

Yet another Japanese masterpiece that's going to shake the Euro supercar establishment on an even greater level than the R35 GT-R has... ;)

Ice
22nd October 2009, 11:31 AM
well its not the prettiest but I can see it will grow on me. now to the question of me buying it if money wasnt an object....thats probably a no but its an alternative for others who dont want a Porsche or Nissan GT or Ferrari for eg.

Wraith
22nd October 2009, 11:40 AM
well its not the prettiest but I can see it will grow on me. now to the question of me buying it if money wasnt an object....thats probably a no but its an alternative for others who dont want a Porsche or Nissan GT or Ferrari for eg.

Yes, it's an interesting one regarding the coin...

If money were no object then I suspect that person would not buy one of these as he/she could have anything, unless they were a bit of a collector (like J Leno) and got one anyway, since they'll be an exclusive limited run vehicle, so definitely a collectable there...

If I only had 400k to spend on a single vehicle, I'd definitely get an Audi R8 V10 over anything else for that amount of money...although fully optioned I'd need more than 400k.

400k won't/can't buy you anything decent or should I say 'highly desirable' from the Lamborghini or Ferrari stables ! You'd need well over 1/2 million for that ;)

BEK-46P
22nd October 2009, 11:43 AM
For some reason I found myself comparing the front end to the face of one of those wrinkly dogs...

sadavidsriturbo
22nd October 2009, 11:48 AM
What an ugly badge otherwise a nice looking vehicle .

rjastra
22nd October 2009, 12:53 PM
Its USD400,000! It's way way more expensive than any of its competitors.

Wraith
22nd October 2009, 01:30 PM
Its USD400,000! It's way way more expensive than any of its competitors.

Only when or if the $USD recovers...

We're almost at parity with the $AUD ATM and story goes we will be for the 1st time in decades by Christmas :)

Perfect time to buy up a few thousand $USD for my O/S March '10 holiday :cornut:

btm
22nd October 2009, 01:35 PM
Perfect time to buy up a few thousand $USD for my O/S March '10 holiday :cornut:
only going higher by then wraith... 1.10 is my guess

rjastra
22nd October 2009, 02:37 PM
Only when or if the $USD recovers...

We're almost at parity with the $AUD ATM and story goes we will be for the 1st time in decades by Christmas :)

LOL.. you don't get it.... 400,000USD in the USA gets you about TWO Porsche 911 Turbos or 4+ Nissan GTRs

Wraith
22nd October 2009, 03:36 PM
only going higher by then wraith... 1.10 is my guess

Even better :cornut:

Wraith
22nd October 2009, 03:37 PM
LOL.. you don't get it.... 400,000USD in the USA gets you about TWO Porsche 911 Turbos or 4+ Nissan GTRs

Oh I see, apologies rj, I thought your were talking in terms of buying one here in Aust. :)

I definitely see your point with the above...

Jerram
22nd October 2009, 03:54 PM
styling harks to the GTR in some aspects

would be a great car, but I've never been a fan of Japanese 'luxury sports'

USC
23rd October 2009, 01:06 AM
I wouldnt never buy a lexus for USD$400,000..give me Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsches anyday....even base model :D

gmonkey
25th October 2009, 09:14 PM
http://ww2.lexus-lfa.com/index.html

check out the configurator

Shaun
26th October 2009, 08:24 AM
It looks like an evolution of a Toyota Supra.

Greg K
28th March 2012, 10:18 AM
Toyed with a blue LFA this morning on my bike... OMG what a car!!! The sound is beyond incredible!

Feelinlucky75
28th March 2012, 10:26 AM
They sound like an angry f1 car to me... Awesome piece of automotive beauty....

benzino
28th March 2012, 06:37 PM
but... that price... for a lexus...

I guess you are really buying into exclusivity though, having a quick look at lexus' website and all 10 designated for oz are sold...

poita
28th March 2012, 08:01 PM
There is one in Bundy.

Droooooooooooooool

benzino
29th March 2012, 05:45 PM
for the same price you could have a Gallardo for the weekend and a GTR as a daily with $150k spare for fuel and hookers

Feelinlucky75
29th March 2012, 06:20 PM
In my fantasy world though it fits perfectly... Not like ill ever own one though...

benzino
29th March 2012, 06:45 PM
but I guess if you have that much money to throw at a car, you can do whatever the **** you want

still an aventadictator is only $40k more... hahahaha

Feelinlucky75
29th March 2012, 08:38 PM
but I guess if you have that much money to throw at a car, you can do whatever the **** you want

still an aventadictator is only $40k more... hahahaha

True... It is such a weapon as well... Maybe one for opposing weekends... Just to mix it up a little lol....