PDA

View Full Version : A1GP Pull Out of Gold Coast Event

MatsHolden
21st October 2009, 10:29 PM
The A1GP have pulled out of this weekends Gold Coast 'SuperGP' event. Instead the main event now will be four 150km races for the V8 Supercars and is a full points championship round. The historic touring cars will also be up there supporting the event along with the Formula Fords, Mini Challenge and Aussie Racing Cars. A1GP is in all sorts of strife and probably won't be around next year the way things are looking.

kabel
22nd October 2009, 12:13 AM
Been rumoured this event was not going to happen.
GFC again ?

glider
22nd October 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm surprised its taken this long for the topic to pop up on here

so far:

-Terry Mackenroth will resign after the event
-QLD Government is considering legal action against the A1GP (they invested money in them, but its hard to sue a company thats broke)
-Dick Johnson and alot of the other greats will be there doing the circuit at race pace in their old cars
-as mentioned 4x 150KM V8 races instead of 2x 200KM

poita
22nd October 2009, 08:33 PM
the QLD gov pumped $11m into this, so no doubt there wil be action taken.

in good news, V8's are looking at taking over full control of the event :D

bender
22nd October 2009, 08:41 PM
the QLD gov pumped $11m into this, so no doubt there wil be action taken.

in good news, V8's are looking at taking over full control of the event :D

seen its more a v8 event now its kinda given me more of an urge to go.

but you'd think they'd drop the price a bit to get in as its still 95 bux to get in saturday, 105 sunday or something stupid and its 60 dollars for friday and even thats still a little expensive

imay
23rd October 2009, 11:38 AM
Not such a bad thing in my opinion. Why throw government support (A$) at international sporting events when our home grown organisations are struggling for a fraction of the same support.
There's plenty of good motor sport competition right here in this country. We already have world class competition and competitors. Encourage that and likewise encourage overseas tourists to come to our shores to see it. I don't believe we need to bring in sports organisations/events that are largely "unfamiliar" to the average Joe in the street.

That's my rant.

ChrisMaz
27th October 2009, 02:06 AM
Still an excellent event this year. I truthfully didn't miss the A1 at all. The V8's had two excellent and exciting races and it really did shake up the championship standings.

I agree with you imay. We have excellent motor sport here and the V8's are becomming more and more popular over seas as well thanks to Cable syndication as well as Computer games showing off the local cars and tracks. I don't see why you'd go elsewhere in the world for motor sport. Rally. F1. MotoGP. V8's (True V8 racing not circle tracks....) as well as top class formula ford.

Neeko
27th October 2009, 10:55 AM
SOOO lucky i went last year :)

Shaun
2nd November 2009, 02:54 PM
Was it a Sucessful event with out the A1 GP ? If so why dont the QLD Govenment and
AVESCO add it to the V8 Calander in 2010 . I think it would be an awesome event that could draw a great crowd still.

poita
2nd November 2009, 05:18 PM
AVESCO are looking at taking full control of the event next year.

bender
2nd November 2009, 05:23 PM
Was it a Sucessful event with out the A1 GP ? If so why dont the QLD Govenment and
AVESCO add it to the V8 Calander in 2010 . I think it would be an awesome event that could draw a great crowd still.

i hope so cause if they drop the race at qld raceway which by the looks of it they will :mad:, it'll be the only v8s event in the sth east of qld