PDA

View Full Version : Air con - do you reckon this is a rip off?

Taffy
20th October 2009, 05:54 PM
Air con is blowing hot air!

Been quoted $440 to 'hardwire a new diode' to the compressor (Barina btw). They also said some other stuff which I couldn't even make out. Seemed like they were trying to baffle me.

Has anyone got experience with air conditioning? What do you reckon, go for a second opinion or just cough up?

:eek::eek::eek:

boorny88
20th October 2009, 06:05 PM
go second opion mate

vectraguy01
20th October 2009, 08:52 PM
go to another place n see from them, wat has to happen, try 2 or 3 different companies, n if its the same answer then u now what needs to be done.

AH08
20th October 2009, 10:52 PM
When you turn the air con on do you hear a click from the compressor kicking in.

I found this a while back....might help, might not.

G'day.
I recently had a similar problem with the A/C on my 2001 Astra. Was quoted >$750 to get the electromagnetic clutch rebuilt, or more for a rebuilt compressor! Well I said bugger that, and looked on the net, and it brought me here.

I disassembled my clutch unit and found the diode you mentioned, tested it, seemed OK. There is a second inspection cover on the opposite side. Don’t think its user serviceable cos I had to break it to get it off.

Found a curious little resistor shaped component, found out it was a thermal fuse. Tested it for continuity, found it to be open circuited or 'blown'. Called SWE check, matched it, installed it (soldered it in due to being too big for both the retaining clip and original compartment) and she works a treat ... Cost me time and $30 for 10 fuses (minimum spend for public). Be-careful to match the temperature rating and try to get the current rating as close as possible.

Wraith
21st October 2009, 08:31 AM
go second opion mate

+ 1

go to another place n see from them, wat has to happen, try 2 or 3 different companies, n if its the same answer then u now what needs to be done.

+ 2

Can't go wrong if you do the above ;)

lithium
21st October 2009, 10:03 AM
When you turn the air con on do you hear a click from the compressor kicking in.

I found this a while back....might help, might not.

G'day.
I recently had a similar problem with the A/C on my 2001 Astra. Was quoted >$750 to get the electromagnetic clutch rebuilt, or more for a rebuilt compressor! Well I said bugger that, and looked on the net, and it brought me here.

I disassembled my clutch unit and found the diode you mentioned, tested it, seemed OK. There is a second inspection cover on the opposite side. Don’t think its user serviceable cos I had to break it to get it off.

Found a curious little resistor shaped component, found out it was a thermal fuse. Tested it for continuity, found it to be open circuited or 'blown'. Called SWE check, matched it, installed it (soldered it in due to being too big for both the retaining clip and original compartment) and she works a treat ... Cost me time and $30 for 10 fuses (minimum spend for public). Be-careful to match the temperature rating and try to get the current rating as close as possible.

yeah this sounds like what they are trying to do for you - they think your compressor is stuffed, and by doing the little fix above they can save your compressor. keep in mind a new compressor is a lot more than $440.

if you're unsure go second opinion :)

Petey
21st October 2009, 10:48 PM
That quote doesn't look too bad. The Opel sourced air con is a common fault as is the power window winders on these cars. Do a google search and you'll see that, both here and overseas.

My 01 Astra's a/c stopped working a few weeks ago. I thought it may need a gas top-up, or its a leak or compressor issue. It blew air with the fan on but didn't "click" on as per normal. Summer is approaching so thought I'd better get it sorted.

Rang Holden & they said to bring it in for a service & most likely the compressor would be stuffed. They'd replace the whole Compressor & re-gas it and would cost between $900 & $1100 to repair! Ouch.

Took it to my local Air Con place in Tullamarine for a quote. The guys there said they do 3 or 4 Astra's/Vectra's a week. They did a gas test to see if its at the correct level first. Then checked to see if power was getting to the compressor. It was a faulty clutch coil. They quoted $450 to remove the gas, replace the coil & re-gas.

Picked it up later in the afternoon and it was back to normal.

I was happy (not sure if that's the right word!) to pay a lesser amount to fix this issue than what Holden wanted!

guy 27
21st October 2009, 11:01 PM
My sister in law just got her aircon compressor replaced in her pug 206 a couple of months ago for $1500.
She went to use it yesterday and its gone again.

Aircon units are not cheap for euro cars. Its not a critical component of the car so if you can live without it till you decide to get another car its a good option to save some cash. Otherwise if you rely on it. Shop around a bit and find a price that suits you best.

Taffy
23rd October 2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I don't think I'll go down the DIY route after the trouble I had last time I tried something.

Took it for a second opinion today - $980 !! They say I need a new 'drier'? and a whole new compressor unit. They also put a hole in my key fob and they said that someone has taken off the 'service caps' for the A/C and not put them back on.

Going back to the first place now. :confused:

lithium
26th October 2009, 11:29 AM
the dryer should be replaced every time a re-gas is done. it's relatively cheap. the dryer is like an oil filter for your A/C.

it sounds like both people are telling you your compressor is stuffed. go with the first mob, they seem to think they can repair your existing compressor. the quote from the second mob is for compressor replacement.

Z20LET
26th October 2009, 09:47 PM
Hey mate, your compressor will more than likely be fine as the diode on the coil is the problem. The one on my astra sh*t itself not too long ago. I got a re-wound coil fitted with no diode so the problem can't reoccur and haven't had a problem since. If I remember correctly it cost me around $350 with a full re-gas as that needs to be done. For the compressor to stuff up it's more than likely that it has seized. If you can turn it over by hand i'd say the comp. is fine. Find someone that will change the coil for you as all the others that have offered to change the comp. are just after your money. No point getting a re-co'd compressor installed when yours is fine. Good luck with it.

Taffy
9th November 2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies they were a big help...I thought I'd write an update in case anyone searches in the future.

It's fixed now and it cost me £340 at a place called Red Devil radiators at Archerfield. They said they've seen this problem on over a thousand Astras and all it is, is a tiny diode 'grain of rice' which blows. They solder a wire to bypass it, where other places will insist on a new comp.

Anyway that place is highly recommended. End of story lol, Cheers.