PDA

View Full Version : New Vic road laws

AH08
18th October 2009, 08:02 PM
Effective from Nov.

New penalties
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/MediaReleaseTougherpenaltiesforserioustrafficoffen ces.htm

guy 27
18th October 2009, 08:05 PM
Makes sense.

Quick question though I was always under the impression that the driver was always fully responsible for all passengers in the car wearing a seatbelt regardless of age.

Does this mean that now if a passenger is over 16 and not wearing a seatbelt they are the ones that get fined rather than the driver?

ChrisMaz
18th October 2009, 08:05 PM
Wow thats a lot of increased revenue...

But after reading this

"Drivers caught speeding at 30-35 kilometres per hour over the speed limit will face fines of approximately $380. This fine is $70 more than the current fine."

W.A that would be about $750+

poita
18th October 2009, 08:06 PM
QLD has just had a change too

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb74670b62f0269/Pdf_qld_road_rules_11_sept_09.pdf

Key changes include:

fog lights — turn off fog lights in clear weather. If you drive with fog lights on in clear weather you risk being fined A$40
single centre line — don't U-turn. If you do a U-turn over a single continuous centre line you risk being fined A$180 and three demerit points
seatbelts — all passengers must wear them. If you drive with a passenger of any age without a seatbelt or child restraint you risk being fined A$300 and three demerit points
wheeled recreational devices — if you ride one when and where they are not permitted you risk being fined A$40.

AH08
18th October 2009, 08:08 PM
New laws here too http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/MediaReleaseNewRoadRulesToImproveSafetyOnVictorias Roads.htm
(http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/MediaReleaseNewRoadRulesToImproveSafetyOnVictorias Roads.htm)
Yeah we're getting the no U-turn law too.

mania
18th October 2009, 08:17 PM
Wow, I didn't realise WAs fines were so much higher then the rest of the country. We've had the 'driver responsible for passengers' law for a while... retarded imo. Know of a P plater that had the book thrown at them for a combination of offences, all of which were the result of his drunk passengers.. despite him being responsible. I personally prefer to keep my attention on the road rather then inside the car :rolleyes:

hazrd
18th October 2009, 08:32 PM
Makes sense.

Quick question though I was always under the impression that the driver was always fully responsible for all passengers in the car wearing a seatbelt regardless of age.

Does this mean that now if a passenger is over 16 and not wearing a seatbelt they are the ones that get fined rather than the driver?

i read it that the driver got the penalty?

New laws here too http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/MediaReleaseNewRoadRulesToImproveSafetyOnVictorias Roads.htm
(http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/MediaReleaseNewRoadRulesToImproveSafetyOnVictorias Roads.htm)
Yeah we're getting the no U-turn law too.

"He said the changes included preventing overtaking and U-turns over single unbroken dividing lines. Motorists will be able to perform a U-turn or overtake across broken dividing lines, or where there are no centre lines at all"

:eek: i thought that wasnt allowed here already? thats just common sense!! at least they will still be allowed at traffic lights unlike nsw...

mania
18th October 2009, 08:45 PM
i read it that the driver got the penalty?

If it's like WA, both the driver and the passenger gets the penalty. They double dip :p

Jerram
18th October 2009, 09:29 PM
Wow thats a lot of increased revenue...

But after reading this

"Drivers caught speeding at 30-35 kilometres per hour over the speed limit will face fines of approximately $380. This fine is $70 more than the current fine."

W.A that would be about $750+

is that WA law because people go out of town and try and burn things up in the desert? Or am I making a delicious stereotype?

AH08
18th October 2009, 09:46 PM
Hazrd, It wasn't illegal to cross a single continuous line in Victoria, people & the Shire complained in our town to the cops about drivers doing u turns in the main street over a continuous line and the cops replied with "we cant do anything, its not against the law" so the Shire got Vicroads to put double lines right thru the town.

hazrd
19th October 2009, 04:25 AM
lol fair enough... at least something was done though!

MatsHolden
19th October 2009, 01:25 PM

Nah, it's always been if the passenger is over 16 then it is not the driver who would be fined if the passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt. If the passenger was under 16, the driver would be fined.

Now the driver gets the fine no matter what age the passengers are.

guy 27
19th October 2009, 02:40 PM
Nah, it's always been if the passenger is over 16 then it is not the driver who would be fined if the passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt. If the passenger was under 16, the driver would be fined.

cool thanks for the clarification.

dub_sri
20th October 2009, 10:00 AM
Vicroads announced this morning that they are making it so you CAN now use a smartphone for GPS, as long as it's in a cradle.

Sense prevailed on that one...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/vicroads-backdown-on-mobile-gps-ban-20091019-h4d0.html

Jerram
20th October 2009, 11:14 AM

I actually quite support this law, because what it's attempting to stop is people overloading cars (eg. 6 people). By making the driver take the blame it will hopefully lessen the chance of accidents like one we had recently in my area where a car with 6 teenagers (some not wearing seatbelts) crashed into a house; one girl died.

guy 27
20th October 2009, 09:30 PM
Just found an article that is relevent for here.

Source Gizmodo.com.au

So this whole GPS app on your phone situation is one big clusterf%*k of confusion, isn’t it? First there was talk that it could be illegal, then it wasn’t, then VicRoads said they were going to make it illegal in Victoria, and now they’re saying that it will be illegal, except if you use it in a cradle. Feel like buying a dedicated satnav yet?

According to Cade Lucas at The Age, the Victorian road authority has backed down on plans to make all use of GPS in mobile phones while driving illegal. It will now be legal if you have your phone in a dedicated cradle.

You can still use Bluetooth handsfree, as well as controlling music (but not video) while the phone is cradled as well, but all other uses of the phone while driving are illegal. Should you be caught once the rules come in on November 9, you’ll be looking at a $234 fine and three demerit points.

At least common sense prevailed…
Their source. The Age: article here. (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/vicroads-backdown-on-mobile-gps-ban-20091019-h4d0.html)

mania
20th October 2009, 11:07 PM
Interesting that it has to be a commerically made cradle. Means hardcore fibreglasses etc won't be able to make it part of their custom dash... likewise the person that made a cradle for his ipod underneath the handbrake would get in trouble. Still, at least the law makes sense this time around..

Vectracious
20th October 2009, 11:43 PM
I saw this change....

http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.go...e_parking.html (http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.gov.au/13_rule_parking.html)

so basically, if you're in a 2 hour zone and your time is up and there is a stack of parking spaces in that section, you cant just move your car to the next space, you need to move it to a completely different road or parking section!!!! WTF???!?!?!?! I love how they don't justify it anywhere on the page as to why this has changed - and can imagine all the parking inspectors and local councils rubbing their hands together at all the extra parking fines its going to bring them.......

What a friggin nanny state we live in.... :mad:

poita
20th October 2009, 11:44 PM
hahaha nice post, and delete and repost :p

Vectracious
21st October 2009, 12:09 AM
hahaha nice post, and delete and repost :p

shutup - I just saw this thread here after I posted my original one.. :p

mania
21st October 2009, 12:21 AM
It'll probably be due to their monitoring as much as anything. So the inspector can just enter down the plates of the cars in each zone without worrying about individual bays. How long are you allowed to be away from the bay before it resets though? Surely in a 2 hour zone you're allowed to come back every 90 minutes for a 10 minute stay ad infinitum.. if you're not it's pretty stupid.

Nurb608
21st October 2009, 10:49 AM
At a guess i'd say that the 2hr parking rule was brought in as Alex said in regards to recording the number plates. The old method of marking the tyres became an issue when people wanted to start sueing for damages to their vehicles so this was the only option left.

Vectracious
21st October 2009, 01:37 PM
The old method of marking the tyres became an issue when people wanted to start sueing for damages to their vehicles so this was the only option left.

People sued because of some chalk marks???

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Nurb608
21st October 2009, 03:01 PM
People sued because of some chalk marks???

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

People will sue for anything these days. Same as people putting flyers under your wipers and people asking for new blades, arms or even windows in some cases.