PDA

View Full Version : Opelaus Logo

poita
16th October 2009, 06:21 PM
Well after the thread dragging out for a billion years these are the final 2 designs that I personally think suit OpelAus.

What do you think?

When printed it will jsut be the white areas, not the black.

Logo 1
http://i38.tinypic.com/2qwoncp.jpg

Logo 2
http://i37.tinypic.com/rargw8.jpg

hazrd
16th October 2009, 06:24 PM
number 2 for me :D

maloo97
16th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Hard to decide!

1 of each! :D

sooty
16th October 2009, 06:36 PM
I reckon 2 for car stickers, and 1 on the "spotted" cards (as a background behind where you write your screenname etc)

boorny88
16th October 2009, 06:57 PM
i like both personally but agree with ain

adam_92
16th October 2009, 09:24 PM
how long will this poll run for and when will the logo be decided ?

Jerram
16th October 2009, 09:34 PM
hmm can't really decide; tending to 2

but

why is there no "none" option?

hazrd
16th October 2009, 09:37 PM
because if u dont want either.... the only logical decision would be to... not vote....?

gmonkey
16th October 2009, 09:47 PM
hmm yeh needs a no vote thing to be fair.. I VOtED #2 cause it is sexiest :p

gmonkey
16th October 2009, 09:47 PM
i reckon 2 for car stickers, and 1 on the "spotted" cards (as a background behind where you write your screenname etc)
+1 .

jastra
16th October 2009, 09:57 PM
im tending to agree with logo 2 also!

SIMid
16th October 2009, 11:12 PM
I like Shays, reminds me of my old Cali. :p

But I'm not sold on the typeface though. :skep:

poita
16th October 2009, 11:48 PM
why is there no "none" option?

cause its a dickhead free poll :)

Shay
17th October 2009, 05:26 AM
I like Shays, reminds me of my old Cali. :p

But I'm not sold on the typeface though. :skep:

typeface as in font?
its the one brady told us was meant to be the new "opelaus font"

or the tacho face? which is my veccy :D

SIMid
17th October 2009, 12:25 PM
typeface as in font?
its the one brady told us was meant to be the new "opelaus font"

The font, just looks kinda old fashioned. Hence why I didnt use it on mine, and just butchered an existing font so it looks nothing like it suppose to be. :p

Speaking of cutting anything out of vinyl, it might be a bit of a bitch cutting out all those small numbers on the tacho (use to signwrite).

BEK-46P
17th October 2009, 12:41 PM
To be honest, neither of them are great.

The first option has potential. It's a good concept that could be improved with some development.

The second option is more legible but too generic.

AH08
17th October 2009, 02:23 PM
The font, just looks kinda old fashioned. Hence why I didnt use it on mine, and just butchered an existing font so it looks nothing like it suppose to be. :p

Speaking of cutting anything out of vinyl, it might be a bit of a bitch cutting out all those small numbers on the tacho (use to signwrite).

Totally agree with the above statement..........
Because of the difficulty of weeding the small no's and lines if you go with the "Tacho' idea, you will be better off to get them printed on clear and contour cut. I am a signwriter and do this daily and theres no way that I would sit there and weed them and still sell them cheap enough that people will want to buy them. When you select a design, (before asking everyone) ask whoever is making them how much ($) and can they do them.

mania
17th October 2009, 02:27 PM
It'd have to be printed on clear... still isn't that what most stickers are?

AH08
17th October 2009, 02:30 PM
It'd have to be printed on clear... still isn't that what most stickers are?
NO....it was originally stated that they were going to be cut vinyl.
I'd personally go printed and this would allow the use of colour.

sooty
17th October 2009, 03:12 PM
The poll doesn't say give us your opinion on whether you like the logo and how we produce them. It's not an open poll, you have three options as to which one best suits OA! One, two, or both! There is no none option! As god said, if you want to choose none, just don't vote, otherwise OA will never have a logo. We can't please everyone, so pick a preference or don't vote/comment! :)

SIMid
17th October 2009, 06:18 PM
AH08 and I are just stating a fact so that if Logo 2 or both go ahead, there will be issues if cut out of vinyl and if so, it may mean either alteration of the design or print them on clear (which costs more).

Just making some people aware, who don't know. :)

Shay
17th October 2009, 07:38 PM
logos will be used for more than just stickers...

quikenuf
17th October 2009, 08:43 PM
1 and 1 for stickers much better

mmahle
19th October 2009, 04:53 PM
I like 2nd better, but I agree with the above comments, not to diss the person who made the logo, but it would like nicer with a more racey font.

But that's just my 2c.
I still voted 2 though!

Shay
19th October 2009, 11:00 PM
I like 2nd better, but I agree with the above comments, not to diss the person who made the logo, but it would like nicer with a more racey font.

But that's just my 2c.
I still voted 2 though!

It would be better to announce this now rather than after someone has designed something, which wouldn't look good with their design.

The new OpelAus font is called Flux. You can see examples of it here: http://new.myfonts.com/search/flux/fonts/.

I can provide persons with font files for this font, however these requests are limited due to licensing costs for the actual font.

HoldenAstra
19th October 2009, 11:21 PM
none for me:confused:

HoldenAstra
19th October 2009, 11:25 PM
to the fisrt logo, it looks crack. I think making the Australia Map in Nurbergring sticker tyre will be perfect. you know what i mean,right?

to the second one, it has limit, Opel cars are limited below 7000rpm, it should be endless,lol

poita
19th October 2009, 11:26 PM
there was a thread open for many months to make suggestions and give ideas.

bit late now

SIMid
19th October 2009, 11:37 PM
to the fisrt logo, it looks crack. I think making the Australia Map in Nurbergring sticker tyre will be perfect. you know what i mean,right?

Cracked or crap? *LOL*

But I do like the idea in making the Map like the Nurb style. Too late now. :(

HoldenAstra
19th October 2009, 11:44 PM
it's never too late to make things right:D

SIMid
19th October 2009, 11:46 PM
it's never too late to make things right:D

Logo 2 seems to be the winner, so no point altering the first one. Cant keep floggin a dead cat.

poita
19th October 2009, 11:47 PM
it's never too late to make things right :D

its also never to late to learn to stop whigning

Nurb608
20th October 2009, 08:52 AM
to the second one, it has limit, Opel cars are limited below 7000rpm, it should be endless,lol

Not all!

simmy
20th October 2009, 02:55 PM
i say both
then whoever wants '1' can have '1'
whoever wants '2' can have '2'

whoever doesnt want either, can just deal with it :)
or stick with the old ones?

ASTRAY
20th October 2009, 07:05 PM
i choose number 2.

now time for my whinge.... lol not really, just my opinions.

i choose number 2 because it is clear to read, has character and serves its purpose. if it costs more, so be it. just looking at it tells you it is car related, even if you dont know what opel is.

number 1 looks great, but the letters are too close to each other and blend in together, making the words kind of unreadable.
love the concept, but its really just a sharp edged version of shays original which was unaccepted by admin.

JMZ
5th November 2009, 02:48 PM
So no-one's posted on this for a couple of weeks. What's the progress? Any idea on cost per sticker yet?

BTW, any sticker can be created on a cut-plotter no matter how fine the text might be. The guy who made my sticker frequents the Southbank (Brisbane) Markets on Friday nights and I've used his services a few times.

amez89
5th November 2009, 03:02 PM
i reckon #2. But i agree with Simon, the typeface isnt quite right...
#1 Is a good idea though, the lines are too 'hard' and square, in the pic of australia.
im doing graphic design at uni lol

adam_92
5th November 2009, 06:28 PM
isnt it pretty clear that logo 2 is the winner? when will this be decided???? does anyone know?

Shay
5th November 2009, 06:43 PM
just cos we cant here, doesnt mean admin arent talking about it ;)

for all those who dont like the font. what do you think would look better?
i just used what i was told too by the owners of the site...

ROCCO
7th November 2009, 01:07 AM
Logo 2 seems to be the winner, so no point altering the first one. Cant keep floggin a dead cat.

Yes you can you keep doing it till the head falls off then you flog it some more:D

SIMid
7th November 2009, 03:28 PM
Yes you can you keep doing it till the head falls off then you flog it some more:D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/lcdlove/cat_spins_fan.gif

poita
9th November 2009, 06:50 PM
jimbow i will talk to you about this soon ;) :)

JMZ
13th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Shay,

Clear out your PM box fella!

Oops, computer glitch.

Delete me!

JMZ
13th November 2009, 06:51 PM
Shay,

Clear out your PM box fella! Tried to reply to your email regarding Logo 1 but it bounced back.

Shay
13th November 2009, 07:55 PM
sorry mate. PM me again...

brissypat
13th November 2009, 08:43 PM
hi all, i love both of the final design concepts, with a slight bias to #2. Let me ask the question though, What are we wanting???? something that shows we are Opel enthusiasts? Or something that shows we are Aussie Opel enthusiasts??

Most people would like to think that they are individuals, but band together with a common interest, take the ford falcon GT super roo for example,thats an iconic all aussie identity, and most australian car lovers recognise it for what it is. Passive Advertising.........

I know i have not contributed alot to the Group/Forum since i have been a member, but may i make a suggestion?

I am seeing more and more often people are dumping the Frangipani flowers from the rear screens of their cars in favour of the stars of the Southern Cross, Picture the Blitz nestled neatly among those stars, the lightning bolt Prominent, Black stars and blitz with a white border,,,,,,Opelaus.com printed underneath.

I am a car sticker Hater, but i would pay to have that on my car.

Cheers,
Pat.

Vectracious
13th November 2009, 09:03 PM
the stars of the Southern Cross, Picture the Blitz nestled neatly among those stars, the lightning bolt Prominent, Black stars and blitz with a white border,,,,,,Opelaus.com printed underneath.

Sorry but I couldn't think of anything worse. Only cars that seem to have the Southern Cross on their rear window are 90's Falcadores with your local bogan behind the wheel - the same bogan that was probably at the Cronulla race riots a few years ago...

gmonkey
14th November 2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry but I couldn't think of anything worse. Only cars that seem to have the Southern Cross on their rear window are 90's Falcadores with your local bogan behind the wheel - the same bogan that was probably at the Cronulla race riots a few years ago...
or shay.... :p

Shay
14th November 2009, 02:45 PM
or shay.... :p

its gone now so STFU

adam_92
20th November 2009, 07:36 PM
is anything going ahead with this yet ???

[OPCSRi]
20th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Can we hurry up already and get this logo happening. :mad:

adam_92
20th November 2009, 10:05 PM
;517417']Can we hurry up already and get this logo happening. :mad:

couldnt agree more surely theres no chance of everyone suddenly changing there decision and goin for logo 1

sooty
20th November 2009, 10:15 PM
What's the hurry guys? It's in the works, things are happening behind the scenes. It's just a logo, days will continue to come and go without it

adam_92
20th November 2009, 10:25 PM
its not the fact of the logo its the stickers in my case and we all want to advertise the club a.s.a.p and we are just after updates as ther hasnt been any posts for a week and even that wasnt an update.

poita
20th November 2009, 10:57 PM
no i havent done anything about it, im actually waiting on someone else to create samples of both

AH08
21st November 2009, 12:30 AM
no i havent done anything about it, im actually waiting on someone else to create samples of both

I did.......and they are stuck on my gun safe.:D

poita
21st November 2009, 12:34 AM
oh awesome, glad you showed me how they turned out........

AH08
21st November 2009, 12:43 AM
I'll stick pics up tomorrow......if I remember.

poita
21st November 2009, 12:49 AM
yer would be nice

ads
21st November 2009, 01:24 AM
i like the 2nd!!

AH08
21st November 2009, 05:45 PM
Poita, the speedo one was for my own curiosity to see how it would go in cut vinyl.... size is 210mm W x 60mm H and the speedo no's are 4mmH and the speedo increment lines are under a mm thick. In other words, the whole thing is to small and you would loose bits every time you wash the car.
To get the No's to a reasonable size (9-10mm) the sticker would be around 500mm long.
If you PM me a postal address and a size you are wanting the stickers, I will cut and post a sample to you. (free of course) This will give you a much better idea of what your dealing with and if you want to continue with it or go another route.

The Australia one is one of the designs I did when the Australia one was posted but I didn't submit it cose I didn't like it. 235mmW x 210mm H

PS Before anyone jumps in... I'm not looking to get the job to do them.

adam_92
21st November 2009, 05:51 PM
both look quite good imo but like you said it could be a bit of a pain in the ass with the speedo being so small and fiddly

glider
21st November 2009, 06:05 PM
I like that first one... alot

adam_92
21st November 2009, 06:09 PM

yeah i do to... probably prefer that one to the speedo type.

ASTRAY
21st November 2009, 06:26 PM
+1 but it has the blitz, which isnt allowed :(

JMZ
21st November 2009, 08:38 PM
Poita, the speedo one was for my own curiosity to see how it would go in cut vinyl.... size is 210mm W x 60mm H and the speedo no's are 4mmH and the speedo increment lines are under a mm thick. In other words, the whole thing is to small and you would loose bits every time you wash the car. To get the No's to a reasonable size (9-10mm) the sticker would be around 500mm long.

Pretty much exactly what my contact said too.....

AH08's design of Logo 1 looks the goods. I think you might find it'd receive quite a number of votes.....if it was an option of course. Is it REALLY too late to include it if a decision hasn't yet been made?

+1 but it has the blitz, which isnt allowed :(

Huh? Why isn't the blitz allowed?:confused: It's quite profound in the original Logo 1.....

ASTRAY
21st November 2009, 10:54 PM
Pretty much exactly what my contact said too.....

AH08's design of Logo 1 looks the goods. I think you might find it'd receive quite a number of votes.....if it was an option of course. Is it REALLY too late to include it if a decision hasn't yet been made?

Huh? Why isn't the blitz allowed?:confused: It's quite profound in the original Logo 1.....
original logo 1 was just a zigzag, without a circle.
the blitz is the zigzag breaking a circle, which is what is in AH08s logo, and is what opel has a trademark on.

adam_92
21st November 2009, 11:03 PM
original logo 1 was just a zigzag, without a circle.
the blitz is the zigzag breaking a circle, which is what is in AH08s logo, and is what opel has a trademark on.

but will this still be classed as the blitz as it isnt actually a full circle being broken by the blitz but more of a curved line??

ASTRAY
21st November 2009, 11:35 PM
but will this still be classed as the blitz as it isnt actually a full circle being broken by the blitz but more of a curved line??
not completely sure, but would you like to be on the defending side if opel decided it was using their trademark?

adam_92
22nd November 2009, 12:29 AM
not completely sure, but would you like to be on the defending side if opel decided it was using their trademark?

im pretty sure i wouldnt haha and im sure its got something to do with the percentage of the logo used... someone correct me if im wrong but i think its if over 50 or 60% of the logo is used then thats when it breaks the copyright laws. but im not too sure about that one

found this on the other thread and it seems to kinda confirm what i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by btm http://www.opelaus.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=500953#post500953)
i thought we couldnt use the 'blitz' in the logo??

Not in it's entirety.

I think by law is that if you change 20% of a design, it's regarded as completely different. So wiping out the ring is more of less 40%.

The way I designed the first one is that it's not a solid element, the blitz and map are in multiple sections and are different in concept to the Blitz. :)

Shay
22nd November 2009, 03:45 AM
would still be seen as a copyright breach.

adam_92
22nd November 2009, 04:28 PM
would still be seen as a copyright breach.

ah right i guess that clears it all up. thanks shay :D

mmahle
22nd November 2009, 05:02 PM
But seriously, would a german company actually sue a "club" on the other side of the earth in Australia, when it was used for non-profit ? I see the legal technicality, but seriously tho....

ASTRAY
22nd November 2009, 05:10 PM
But seriously, would a german company actually sue a "club" on the other side of the earth in Australia, when it was used for non-profit ? I see the legal technicality, but seriously tho....
this was all discussed in the other thread, end result is no, we cant use it and admin have said "no blitz".

but to answer your question, who knows, but i wouldnt like to risk my posessions and freedom for the sake of a simple logo in a sticker design.

adam_92
22nd November 2009, 05:22 PM
who knows if they would sue the club but like ASTRAY said a few posts ago...

poita
22nd November 2009, 05:40 PM
ROFL ROFL at second logo, love how you put the $ sign instead of the 7

Shay
22nd November 2009, 09:13 PM
ROFL ROFL at second logo, love how you put the $ sign instead of the 7

yeah, why was that? lol
personally i wouldnt want to see logo 2 printed smaller than 400mm wide

ASTRAY
22nd November 2009, 10:14 PM
yeah, why was that? lol
personally i wouldnt want to see logo 2 printed smaller than 400mm wide
+1 shay, after all it is meant for the rear window and possibly front window.

glider
22nd November 2009, 10:17 PM
I know its all down to personal preference but I'm not prepared to put a big massive sticker like that on it... just reminds me too much of the big 'Unit' and 'Trust' stickers you see on back windows

as I've said, personal preference, so if others want to fine by me

with regards to blitz, can permission for use be obtained? and if not, original post logo #1 kinda has an issue...

poita
22nd November 2009, 10:20 PM
yer 400mm belongs to a unit sticker on a mini truck

Shay
22nd November 2009, 10:29 PM
my current opelaus.com is about 70cm.
UNIT and Skin are about 1m.

less than 40cm is pointless cos it cant be read unless you are standing right against the boot of the car.

and the copyright issue is the lightning bolt cutting a circle not the lightning bolt itself.

and opel was contacted about using their logo a they said a firm no

JMZ
22nd November 2009, 10:31 PM
im pretty sure i wouldnt haha and im sure its got something to do with the percentage of the logo used... someone correct me if im wrong but i think its if over 50 or 60% of the logo is used then thats when it breaks the copyright laws. but im not too sure about that one

found this on the other thread and it seems to kinda confirm what i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by btm http://www.opelaus.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=500953#post500953)
i thought we couldnt use the 'blitz' in the logo??

Not in it's entirety.

I think by law is that if you change 20% of a design, it's regarded as completely different. So wiping out the ring is more of less 40%.

The way I designed the first one is that it's not a solid element, the blitz and map are in multiple sections and are different in concept to the Blitz. :)

Wouldn't this all be solved by removeing the 1/4 circle from the design.? It'd still look good IMO.

I know its all down to personal preference but I'm not prepared to put a big massive sticker like that on it... just reminds me too much of the big 'Unit' and 'Trust' stickers you see on back windows

as I've said, personal preference, so if others want to fine by me

with regards to blitz, can permission for use be obtained? and if not, original post logo #1 kinda has an issue...

Yeah I agree, can't like stickers that dominate the rear windsheild. Already got a fully sick spoiler that does that!:rolleyes:

Shay
22nd November 2009, 11:05 PM
40cm really isnt that big. same width as my 17" laptop.
i did up an example pick.

what you see from the car behind, driving closer than you normally would...
***warning, big pic, 1Mb****

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/shayward06/examples.jpg

poita
22nd November 2009, 11:10 PM
pic is only 399kb shay :p

see im thinkin about side windows, not rear.

but i see what you mean.

Shay
22nd November 2009, 11:13 PM
pic is only 399kb shay :p

see im thinkin about side windows, not rear.

but i see what you mean.

thats why i voted both...
logo 1 would be perfect for the sides

AH08
22nd November 2009, 11:16 PM
What about the Australia one inside a square.

adam_92
22nd November 2009, 11:47 PM

i kinda like the yellow 1 but i edited it a bit on paint so its not the best quality but you get the idea

poita
22nd November 2009, 11:53 PM

i kinda like the yellow 1 but i edited it a bit on paint so its not the best quality but you get the idea

maybe you both should read the whole thread before posting'

take special notice of the very first post

ASTRAY
22nd November 2009, 11:55 PM
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: :deadhorse:

adam_92
23rd November 2009, 12:11 AM
iv read the whole thing several times and iv just realised that yellow design is similar 2 logo 1... sorry

Well after the thread dragging out for a billion years these are the final 2 designs that I personally think suit OpelAus.

What do you think?

Logo 1

Logo 2

Shay
23rd November 2009, 12:17 AM

Think thats more the point petes getting at.
that people were given the chance to design something, and that time ended ages ago.

no use :deadhorse:

ASTRAY
23rd November 2009, 12:18 AM

What do you think?

Logo 1

Logo 2

ChrisMaz
23rd November 2009, 12:19 AM
:emo:

This is getting nowhere fast.

However I'm all for both designs. And after having a 70cm OPELAUS.COM sticker across my rear window I honestly don't have a problem with either being relatively large.

adam_92
23rd November 2009, 12:45 AM
yeah guys i get the point but people are starting to get bored and making more designs in boredom and the yellow 1 is very similar to the logo 1 but just the proper australia outline not a sharp-edged unrealistic australia that some unintelligent people might not get at first glance

just my 2c

ASTRAY
23rd November 2009, 12:56 AM
yeah guys i get the point but people are starting to get bored and making more designs in boredom and the yellow 1 is very similar to the logo 1 but just the proper australia outline not a sharp-edged unrealistic australia that some unintelligent people might not get at first glance

just my 2c
yellow = not happening. black and white only.
bored = just dont visit this thread, spam thread is for boredom.

adam_92
23rd November 2009, 01:03 AM
yellow = not happening. black and white only. it wasnt the fact of the yellow it was the australia outline i was more favouring over the sharp edged outline
bored = just dont visit this thread, spam thread is for boredom. ok

Vectracious
23rd November 2009, 01:30 PM
due to complaints received about this thread and the fact that Pete's post at the start of the thread seems to be unclear (thanks Jas for the big red letters :p ) it has been closed until further notice - Logo 2 seems to be the winner with 70% of the vote.