PDA

View Full Version : How much

sadavidsriturbo
14th October 2009, 10:48 PM
Ok thinking about selling the vehicle if i can get some decent money or maybe a part out ????

link

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17190&page=6

Car is in perfect condition 38,000 kms
How much should i expect/advertise for ????

I was thinking $36,000 with everything ??? Except will have standard wheels done in a satin black :confused:

MatsHolden
14th October 2009, 11:38 PM
No chance of getting $36k!
You could get them brand new on the road for less than that. Yes, you've done mods to it, but unfortunately it doesn't equal more value for your car when you sell it.

sadavidsriturbo
14th October 2009, 11:44 PM
No chance of getting $36k!
You could get them brand new on the road for less than that. Yes, you've done mods to it, but unfortunately it doesn't equal more value for your car when you sell it.

How much you thinking then ???

This is a private sale not trade in obviously.

MatsHolden
14th October 2009, 11:48 PM
How much you thinking then ???

This is a private sale not trade in obviously.

Yep, I reckon you'll be looking at around the $26k mark as a realistic price.

Seen a few around, one was an '06 with only 4000km on the clock for $27k and another with 30,000km on the clock for $26k.

sadavidsriturbo
15th October 2009, 12:23 AM
Yep, I reckon you'll be looking at around the $26k mark as a realistic price.

Seen a few around, one was an '06 with only 4000km on the clock for $27k and another with 30,000km on the clock for $26k.

Mine is an 07 with 37,500kms first registered 21/08/07 how can you say my car is worth the same as a standard SRI-T when i have spent over 15 k with out even including the gearbox

chrissn89
15th October 2009, 12:32 AM
Mine is an 07 with 37,500kms first registered 21/08/07 how can you say my car is worth the same as a standard SRI-T when i have spent over 15 k with out even including the gearbox
It might be 'worth' as you say $36k because of the $15,000 dollars worth of mods.

But this is a car and not an investment ie house. You can advertise it as $35,000 but in the end you'll only get what people are prepared to pay you.

People dont like paying for mods and in some cases devalues the car.

Id be saying around the $25k - $27,5000

CNBLU
15th October 2009, 12:32 AM
Asking price and selling price is completely different.

If you want to gloat then you put your price high.

If you want to sell then you have to make it what the market says.

sadavidsriturbo
15th October 2009, 12:45 AM
It might be 'worth' as you say $36k because of the $15,000 dollars worth of mods.

But this is a car and not an investment ie house. You can advertise it as $35,000 but in the end you'll only get what people are prepared to pay you.

People dont like paying for mods and in some cases devalues the car.

Id be saying around the $25k - $27,5000

Thats why i want to sell it before it looses anymore value and i spend more money on it ....

Asking price and selling price is completely different.

If you want to gloat then you put your price high.

If you want to sell then you have to make it what the market says.

I dont want to gloat but i also dont want to bend over for the purchaser.

34k would be a good buy in my eyes kinda fair for the both ????

CNBLU
15th October 2009, 12:50 AM
just have a look on carsales and compare. Mods should not add value, but only appeal.

sadavidsriturbo
15th October 2009, 12:55 AM
just have a look on carsales and compare. Mods should not add value, but only appeal.

I have...... any where from 24-26k for 07s

I think it should ad some value, obviously it is only worth what people are prepared to pay but it should be worth more than standard i also have all the standard parts

Keep'emRunning
15th October 2009, 07:21 AM
that's sad to hear.. what are you thinking of buying?

Greg K
15th October 2009, 07:38 AM
if you were in the market for a s/h SriT, and came across one for $36k, when others are $26-$27, would you pay $10k difference???

i know you have just put in a new gearbox and all, and you could use that to boost your car sell-ability (not necessarily value).

However, with the affordability of new cars these days, and the abundance of s/h cars, the value of cars are depreciating quicker

For $36k, you could get a brand new SP25, a new Golf TSI with DSG, a new Lancer VR-X, a new XR5... the price that you are after, is very competitive with new cars.

sadavidsriturbo
15th October 2009, 07:49 AM
that's sad to hear.. what are you thinking of buying?

Nothing im going to use it towards a house if i can sell it

if you were in the market for a s/h SriT, and came across one for $36k, when others are $26-$27, would you pay $10k difference???

i know you have just put in a new gearbox and all, and you could use that to boost your car sell-ability (not necessarily value).

However, with the affordability of new cars these days, and the abundance of s/h cars, the value of cars are depreciating quicker

For $36k, you could get a brand new SP25, a new Golf TSI with DSG, a new Lancer VR-X, a new XR5... the price that you are after, is very competitive with new cars.

I know what you mean about the new cars thats why im asking how much just a little shocked people are saying mods are worth nothing i might as well put most of the standard parts back on and sell the rest of the parts here ??

Greg K
15th October 2009, 07:52 AM
I know what you mean about the new cars thats why im asking how much just a little shocked people are saying mods are worth nothing i might as well put most of the standard parts back on and sell the rest of the parts here ??

thats prob the way to go mate... :)

you will prob find that you may get close to your target price. ie you could be lucky and sell the car for $28k then sell all the other bits and pieces on here.

GreyRex
15th October 2009, 08:46 AM
IMO mods are only for personal gain, or a potential sale 'advantage', but very rarely do they increase the value of the car

I'd say you could ask around 27K, then if you don't have any bites... take the mods off and sell it stock cheaper

I'm not trying to be harsh... im just trying to be real

I sold my previous car (Barina SRi) privately. The experience can be interesting. In the end I was lucky enough to find a guy that knew what the car was and pretty much didn't haggle me on the price (as opposed to 17-18yo girls all coming along with their parents and trying to go thousands below what I was asking)

That's why it's a good idea to buy a car that does what you want in the first place :)

I sort of get surprised when some people become devastated when they realise all the money they've spent on the car (along with the car itself), doesn't count for that much

SIMid
15th October 2009, 09:10 AM
U could always just advertise the price you want and see if there are any biters. Then you'll know if there are people willing to spend the money you want on a modified Astra.

Blueraven spent heaps on his TS-T and I think he only gained a fraction over the market price for what it was worth.

+2 -> Strip all the mods and sell her as a stockie.

TheOperator
15th October 2009, 09:14 AM
Mods don't add any value, they devalue your car in a buyers eyes and deter them from buying unless an enthusiast!

It's a sad fact i know, but most "normal" buyers out there would see your car and be instantly turned off because its been changed so much from standard and instantly have thoughts of a "boy racer" in the back of their minds. "Boy Racer" equals flogged or hard life to these people ;) Also the fact you have a new gearbox points to this and points to a hard life!

If i were you i would put it back to standard and sell the parts seperately and make more money ;)

I also find it interesting that people have quoted 24 - 28K as a private sale for 07, i have a MY09 and seriously thought i would struggle to get 29K? Not that i'm selling unless someone offered me that :eek:

GreyRex
15th October 2009, 09:38 AM
Mods don't add any value, they devalue your car in a buyers eyes and deter them from buying unless an enthusiast!

It's a sad fact i know, but most "normal" buyers out there would see your car and be instantly turned off because its been changed so much from standard and instantly have thoughts of a "boy racer" in the back of their minds. "Boy Racer" equals flogged or hard life to these people ;) Also the fact you have a new gearbox points to this and points to a hard life!

If i were you i would put it back to standard and sell the parts seperately and make more money ;)

I also find it interesting that people have quoted 24 - 28K as a private sale for 07, i have a MY09 and seriously thought i would struggle to get 29K? Not that i'm selling unless someone offered me that :eek:

These are asking prices remember. You aim high... you see how you go and then drop it if necessary.

Just imagine trading it. I reckon it'd be 17-18K. No surprises there

Ash VXRoz
15th October 2009, 01:00 PM
Mods dont add much "value" to the selling price of a car unfortunately. Iv sold all my previous cars with many mods for just a bit more than what the standard ones were going for at that time. The thing to remember about mods is that you can do them for your OWN enjoyment, while YOU have the car, but dont expect to get much back for them when selling the vehicle. As for the price of 36K, you can get an 07 VXR with good low mileage around that mark.

btm
15th October 2009, 02:16 PM
strip back to stock and sell all the mods seperately. would hopefully get a grand or two extra that way

glider
15th October 2009, 03:20 PM
U could always just advertise the price you want and see if there are any biters. Then you'll know if there are people willing to spend the money you want on a modified Astra.

Blueraven spent heaps on his TS-T and I think he only gained a fraction over the market price for what it was worth.

+2 -> Strip all the mods and sell her as a stockie.

At the time nik went just below market price at 18. Sorry David only way u will make money is to strip to stock. U won't get back any of the value of the aftermarket part's value while still on the car, but off the car you can sell each item for what you want

adam_92
15th October 2009, 03:36 PM
even though its sad to say +1 on stripping it back to stock will probably get you more money even though you should get $40k+ with that exhaust haha but seriously see what you can get as it is first.

sadavidsriturbo
15th October 2009, 05:40 PM
I might put it up on car sales for 34k and try my luck ill go down to 32k

I think thats more than a fair price ...

sooty
15th October 2009, 05:42 PM
I might put it up on car sales for 34k and try my luck ill go down to 32k

I think thats more than a fair price ...
Are you in a rush to sell it? if not, then why not.
But as others have said, what's fair, and what people are willing to pay are two COMPLETELY different kettle of fish.

boorny88
15th October 2009, 05:44 PM
i wud gladly take the intake and top hat off your hands lol

McTwistie
15th October 2009, 05:45 PM
Why not list the mods in order, and see what you can sell off for a profit ?

MatsHolden
15th October 2009, 05:55 PM

Just being realistic mate. It sucks but that's the way it is. Modifying cars is a waste of money, but we do it anyway because it adds to the enjoyment whilst we own it, but you can't get the value of your mods back when it comes selling time. Modifications can also have a detrimental effect on a cars value in some cases.

mania
15th October 2009, 06:11 PM
As others have said, mods aren't an investment by any stretch of the imagination. They're like taking a holiday to the Gold Coast or buying a new plasma tv... it's for your satisfaction, and when you're through with it you're never getting that money back. And cars themselves are nearly as bad.

Biggest problem is the old issue of every buyer having to assume that all cars have been awfully treated, which is why cars of even a few thousand ks - even where the owner knows they've only ever treated them well - cannot convey that to buyers and so they've depreciated thousands compared to when they were new.

Best bet is list the car for similar price of others of same ks, and sell the mods privately on here/ebay. LSD might raise the value by a few hundred, but exhaust/intercooler would most likely lower the value if anything.. best sell them privately and never mention they existed. Think yourself lucky for not spending $2k on new brakes ;)

Shame you need to sell it so soon after spending so much :(

CNBLU
15th October 2009, 10:43 PM
under 35k....

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=7666864&__sid=12309285415E&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_PriceSort_D ecimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Mod el_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%204294965530%204294897099&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=24&silo=1011

or

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=7595957&__sid=12309285415E&__Qpb=true&Cr=2&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_PriceSort_D ecimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Mod el_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%204294965530%204294897099&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=24&silo=1011

or

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=7710351&__sid=12309285415E&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_PriceSort_D ecimal%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cpCar_Mod el_String%7c0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201282%204294965530%204294897099&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=24&silo=1011

i know which one i would have and it aint an SRiT

sadavidsriturbo
16th October 2009, 09:54 AM
Fair enough.... i know what is out there id probably put a little more toward it and get an evo 8 or 9 if i wanted another car.

But in my defense its not like i have gone out like REDRED and put bar fridges and toasters in my convertible the mods i have are rather good and costly mods and also a great stepping stone towards handling some nice power all i want to recoup is 8k of my stereo and the rest comes with the car so basically

24k for the car
8k for the stereo which without the soundstreem stuff around owes me 12k
So 32k

you get;
stock wheels back on/but powder coated black
quaife lsd
lightened flywheel
uprated plate and organic clutch
fmic
Eibach springs
white line adjustable sway bar
3 inch zorst
pod set up/ also a spare 2.2 air box and couteny foam filter
turblue remap
other little bits bulbs/plug cover ect

clutch/lsd/flywheel/cooler/edit. only put on approx 2000kms ago and all the stock parts

Not a bad deal in my eyes.

lithium
16th October 2009, 10:38 AM
good luck with the sale mate - if you're in no rush it does sound good to put it up as is with all mods to see if you get any enquiries

unfortunately it's true that you'll never get the money back for mods. in fact more often than not mods will lower the value of your car because the buyer doesn't know:

a) how well the installation has been done. a lot of modifications are backyard jobs and while some of us (eg. me :D) do everything by the book and torque every nut to spec, others don't
b) what sort of quality the mods are. will they last as long as the factory part they are replacing?
c) whether the mods will have a detrimental effect on other parts of the car. eg. bigger wheels/lower profile tyres = more stress on steering rack, suspension components. stiffer rear swaybar = more vibration through body = squeaks and rattles. pod filter = altered A/F ratios = premature engine wear (probably not the case with a AFM car like the astra) etc etc
d) when something goes wrong eg. check engine light comes on - it's difficult to start looking for the problem with a modified car where you don't know everything that's been done to it

basically any parts that are not factory parts are an unknown for the buyer and therefore an additional risk. i know personally when looking for a second hand car i try to find an unmolested example as close to the factory spec as possible.

that said best of luck and i hope you can find a buyer who wants the same in an Astra T as yourself and will snap it up. and good luck buying the house you will find they are much better investments than cars :)

boorny88
16th October 2009, 10:48 AM
good luck mate but that 2.2 airbox you wanna sell it if so pm me i wudnt mind taking it off ya?

sadavidsriturbo
16th October 2009, 10:51 AM
I know 100% what everyone is talking about when it comes to mods and how it all works there are so many factors as to why and why not this car would appeal to someone, but i just wanted to get a rough idea what people would pay as this is an opel forum.

Rather than how it all works because i understand this......

I do have time on my hands so i am going to try my luck, but i also would like to get rid of it sooner than later.
As for the house situation im not buying for my self but investing with the parents the more money the better so im not fussed an im not going to rip myself off completely

good luck with the sale mate - if you're in no rush it does sound good to put it up as is with all mods to see if you get any enquiries

unfortunately it's true that you'll never get the money back for mods. in fact more often than not mods will lower the value of your car because the buyer doesn't know:

a) how well the installation has been done. a lot of modifications are backyard jobs and while some of us (eg. me :D) do everything by the book and torque every nut to spec, others don't
b) what sort of quality the mods are. will they last as long as the factory part they are replacing?
c) whether the mods will have a detrimental effect on other parts of the car. eg. bigger wheels/lower profile tyres = more stress on steering rack, suspension components. stiffer rear swaybar = more vibration through body = squeaks and rattles. pod filter = altered A/F ratios = premature engine wear (probably not the case with a AFM car like the astra) etc etc
d) when something goes wrong eg. check engine light comes on - it's difficult to start looking for the problem with a modified car where you don't know everything that's been done to it

basically any parts that are not factory parts are an unknown for the buyer and therefore an additional risk. i know personally when looking for a second hand car i try to find an unmolested example as close to the factory spec as possible.

that said best of luck and i hope you can find a buyer who wants the same in an Astra T as yourself and will snap it up. and good luck buying the house you will find they are much better investments than cars :)

sadavidsriturbo
16th October 2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe if we can keep it simple.

What would you feel happy paying for this car, i know this is going to vary greatly but it gives me an idea thanks ......

sooty
16th October 2009, 12:21 PM
I think Mat was pretty much on the money when he said $26k, depending on how the market is for them atm (many out there), i'd say $24-$27k
How much did you pay for it new?

gmonkey
17th October 2009, 05:49 AM
no offence to ya but at ur original price of $36k id honestly rather buy a s/h Nurb VXR or even a normal VXR

sadavidsriturbo
17th October 2009, 08:30 AM
I think Mat was pretty much on the money when he said $26k, depending on how the market is for them atm (many out there), i'd say $24-$27k
How much did you pay for it new?

I got it for 28k with the holden discount down from 32 i think.

sadavidsriturbo
17th October 2009, 08:37 AM
no offence to ya but at ur original price of $36k id honestly rather buy a s/h Nurb VXR or even a normal VXR

None taken.

I knew i wouldnt get 36k but i also dont want to advertise at 32 and only get 30 or 29 so what do you think is reasonable???

Going to ask a few friends if they or there g/fs are keen for it, if not advertise and maybe start at 33k ??

KingOfAstras
17th October 2009, 10:06 AM
I'm currently trying to sell my girlfriend's car. It's been tough but I've had a price offer that I am happy with. You can easily put the price high, and say you're open to negotiation, that way you get a decent amount of calls.

The rest of the sale comes when they have a look at the car, and then you talk about all the modifications (if any) and their positives, and trying to convince them your car is better than any other one on the market. If you do that right, you'll get close to what you're asking. Keep in mind that another common question most people will ask about a close-to-new car is the warranty and if the modifications you have done affects that.

My opinion, price it at 33k or more and just see how you go - letting viewers know that you are negotiable.

Most people have mentioned that they'd rather buy a used VXR over your car, most people don't know what a VXR is, and most people aren't looking for a VXR, they are looking for an SRi-Turbo - So again, see how you go.

Good luck!

hazrd
17th October 2009, 11:17 AM
None taken.

I knew i wouldnt get 36k but i also dont want to advertise at 32 and only get 30 or 29 so what do you think is reasonable???

Going to ask a few friends if they or there g/fs are keen for it, if not advertise and maybe start at 33k ??

personally, im with alot of the others... u would make heaps more if u were to remove the stereo gear, and sell it for a reasonable price...

sadavidsriturbo
17th October 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm currently trying to sell my girlfriend's car. It's been tough but I've had a price offer that I am happy with. You can easily put the price high, and say you're open to negotiation, that way you get a decent amount of calls.

The rest of the sale comes when they have a look at the car, and then you talk about all the modifications (if any) and their positives, and trying to convince them your car is better than any other one on the market. If you do that right, you'll get close to what you're asking. Keep in mind that another common question most people will ask about a close-to-new car is the warranty and if the modifications you have done affects that.

My opinion, price it at 33k or more and just see how you go - letting viewers know that you are negotiable.

Most people have mentioned that they'd rather buy a used VXR over your car, most people don't know what a VXR is, and most people aren't looking for a VXR, they are looking for an SRi-Turbo - So again, see how you go.

Good luck!

True that ill wait till the black wheels are on b4 i advertise other wise i may take everything off and sell.....But really i cant be bothered parting it out .

personally, im with alot of the others... u would make heaps more if u were to remove the stereo gear, and sell it for a reasonable price...

Like i said above i would consider a part out but then will need to outlay money and also need the services of at least 2 professionals to do it properly mechanic/lsd ,flywheel,clutch,front springs and Upholsters for the boot.

gmonkey
18th October 2009, 12:38 PM
ok so if you really want around 32000 advertise for 34000 or even your 36000 for a week or so, theres no harm in giving it a shot

EL BURITO
18th October 2009, 12:53 PM
Thats why i want to sell it before it looses anymore value and i spend more money on it ....

I dont want to gloat but i also dont want to bend over for the purchaser.

34k would be a good buy in my eyes kinda fair for the both ????
and I should have got over 20K for the Corsa when I sold it, but o' wait I got 11K and the purchaser wrote it off and got 20K

see how that is fair, but that is how car sales work you only get what others are willing to pay

part it all out, and sell the stock car