PDA

View Full Version : Letter from EPA

Majobie
30th September 2009, 09:31 PM
I received a letter from the EPA today ,apparantly a police office has reported my Astra as too noisy, I now need to get my Astra tested, what a waist of good police resourses, especially with all the drama going on in Melbourne at the moment!
Looks like the Magnaflow might have to go! Damn!!

guy 27
30th September 2009, 09:44 PM
Never knew that was the epa's job. Always though it was police discretion.

hazrd
30th September 2009, 09:45 PM
LOL
what the fatshit was too lazy to pull u over so he decided to have someone else send a letter instead? :rolleyes:

get one of those adjustable ones, that way u can piss them off, then get cleared by flicking a switch haha

Majobie
30th September 2009, 09:57 PM
The crazy thing is that I've had the system for over a year with no problems with the cops, when I had it installed I actually had a 2nd reso installed to quieten it down, I dont think it is too excessive, even my accountant misses reckons it aint that bad!
The letter is a Vehicle Test notice from the EPA Vic- enviromental protection act 1970 - section 55AC - Exhaust noise - I need to "obtain a Certificate of Compliance from a approved noise tester" otherwise I face a fine of $567 or if prosecuted a maximum fine of $6607 and de-registration of vehicle !! what a load of croc!

guy 27
30th September 2009, 10:01 PM
see if the place you got your exhaust from are licensed to do the testing. They will probably pass it without testing it as they should not let the car on the road if it is too loud as this could deem it to not be roadworthy.
If they can not try to get them to pay for the test or to quieten the system.

Jerram
30th September 2009, 10:53 PM
see if the place you got your exhaust from are licensed to do the testing. They will probably pass it without testing it as they should not let the car on the road if it is too loud as this could deem it to not be roadworthy.
If they can not try to get them to pay for the test or to quieten the system.

dude why don't you first buy a dB meter (you can get them from D/S for not very much) and check the level yourself?

MatsHolden
30th September 2009, 10:58 PM
dude why don't you first buy a dB meter (you can get them from D/S for not very much) and check the level yourself?

Because that still doesn't get him out of the little problem with the EPA...

MatsHolden
30th September 2009, 10:59 PM
Never knew that was the epa's job. Always though it was police discretion.

Yeah it's the EPA's job, when the cops have a blitz on they have the EPA blokes there with the testing equipment.

Jerram
30th September 2009, 11:00 PM
Because that still doesn't get him out of the little problem with the EPA...

yeah but if he reckons it's not that loud maybe the copper was just having a bad day (thus exhaust is within regulations). I mean you still have to do the check but at least you'll know if you need to change stuff to pass.

MatsHolden
30th September 2009, 11:05 PM
at least you'll know if you need to change stuff to pass.

True. Just have to find out the precedure they use... ie how many rpm, distance from the back of the car etc.

guy 27
30th September 2009, 11:40 PM
well for vic the noise levels are governed by ADR 28
comlaw (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/B7E93382837DE5B7CA25715D001C1747?OpenDocument)

from what I gather it is 90db when stationary and 78db when in motion.

DirtyHarry
1st October 2009, 08:05 AM
why dont you write a letter to them questioning why you have been selected, when at no time did a officer pull you over and even speak to you or look at your car. you could say that the officer could have been incorrect and picked your car by accident, in which case you should highlight, that if you bring your car in, are they going to pay for your expenses, your wages etc, when at no time did the officer pull you over and give you a defect notice?
and in the mean time if your exhaust is detachable, maybe put a standard muffler on there or something.

mr corsa
1st October 2009, 02:44 PM
i know for a fact that it wasnt a police officer but be more inclined to look at your neighbours as all they have to to is complain to the epa or council about your car being to loud and give your rego number to them and it starts from there

PaulyJ
1st October 2009, 02:54 PM
As its been reported by Police to EPA, the only way to get out of this is to get is tested by a licenced office.
You can't do it yourself, don't even bother writting a letter asking why.
If you don't comply, EPA will deem your car unroadworthy, and then you'll have to get a roadworthy cert aswell on top of it just to get the car on the road.

Speaking to the place you got your muffler in the first place may be useless too.
It was done a year ago, they'll just say when they gave it to you, it was compliant.

Keep'emRunning
1st October 2009, 03:27 PM
i know for a fact that it wasnt a police officer but be more inclined to look at your neighbours as all they have to to is complain to the epa or council about your car being to loud and give your rego number to them and it starts from there

can that actually be done? There's an idiot in our street with a commy ute with twin straightthrus who delights in thrashing his car past every 6am :devil:

PaulyJ
1st October 2009, 03:36 PM
Bag of nails at 5:55am :D

Majobie
1st October 2009, 04:53 PM
Just an update, went down to the exhaust shop and to cut a long story short, we are changing it over to a more "suitable" unit on Monday before I get it tested, he reckons that they complete the test at 3800rpm....so they probably get off by reving the sh1p out of your car!!
For those interested here is a link to the EPA http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/noise/motor_noise.asp

boorny88
1st October 2009, 05:02 PM
what you getting done to change it mate?

PO15KA
1st October 2009, 05:13 PM
As its been reported by Police to EPA, the only way to get out of this is to get is tested by a licenced office.
You can't do it yourself, don't even bother writting a letter asking why.
If you don't comply, EPA will deem your car unroadworthy, and then you'll have to get a roadworthy cert aswell on top of it just to get the car on the road.

Speaking to the place you got your muffler in the first place may be useless too.
It was done a year ago, they'll just say when they gave it to you, it was compliant.

well said mate ;) look, you got reported, you got a letter addressed to you...just do what is required from you and if you are 100% within the limits then stick it to them and seek some kind of explanation as to why your car was singled out.

PO15KA
1st October 2009, 05:19 PM
can that actually be done? There's an idiot in our street with a commy ute with twin straightthrus who delights in thrashing his car past every 6am :devil:

mate, my master bedroom is located at the front of the house (go figure out the stup!d design laws here!! who the builds a master bedroom at the front of the house with a minimum front yard lenght??) and each morning at 6AM and each night at 23:00 we get a d!khead dumping his buzz box accent or excel all the way to the end of the street... put it this way, he or she is lucky i am an easy going person otherwise.... %$#!!!

PO15KA
1st October 2009, 05:20 PM
Bag of nails at 5:55am :D

kurwa! i am tempted :D

kabel
1st October 2009, 09:43 PM
I received a letter from the EPA today ,apparantly a police office has reported my Astra as too noisy, I now need to get my Astra tested, what a waist of good police resourses, especially with all the drama going on in Melbourne at the moment!
Looks like the Magnaflow might have to go! Damn!!
So how do Harley`s comply then ?

hazrd
1st October 2009, 09:59 PM
haha thats a very valid point!

Jerram
1st October 2009, 11:21 PM
haha thats a very valid point!

I think it's different for motorbikes. I seem to recall earlier this year they were considering changing the laws for bikes and people had a whinge because their main argument was loud bikes are good for safety (you can hear them coming)

SIMid
2nd October 2009, 07:39 AM
people had a whinge because their main argument was loud bikes are good for safety (you can hear them coming)

So cars should be loud to warn pedestrians then (especially ones on the phone or using their Ipods)? ;)

Wouldn't it be easier to throw on another hotdog? I did when I had my Cali to quieten her down a little.

KingOfAstras
2nd October 2009, 09:16 AM
EPPPPAAAA EEEEEEEEPPPPAAAAAA

http://i23.tinypic.com/29fwifc.jpg

ads
2nd October 2009, 09:26 AM

most of the time they don't, they are defective. You should be counting your lucky stars that you don't live in WA. They HATE people with loud cars/bikes. I think that most Harley's don't have many mods over there because the coppers are way to strict.

NSW isn't that bad but it's still crap, I recall with my lancer it was reaching approx 130 dB on a good day (Tested by a cheapo dB reader)

I think the law back then, might be the same as now but you get fined X amount for being over the dB level and then additional money for ever 10dB over. I don't recall if there were points involved, but it's very stupid. Especially when I worked around the corner from the EPA testing area.

There was a story a few years back, where they tested this persons car next to a mountain face with the rebounding noise from the rock it amplified the exhaust noise resulting them in having a defective car.

LOL @ EPAAAA EEEPPPAA

Good luck!

lithium
2nd October 2009, 10:14 AM

Harleys with modified exhausts don't - they get defected too
a stock Harley isn't that loud

xplosv57
2nd October 2009, 05:31 PM
My mate and i got EPA'd once a few years back, they do a test at idle and at 3500rpm, and the tester have to be a certain distance away from the vehicle, new cars are from memory 89dB and older cars 95dB (i failed miserably at 128dB.....)

Majobie
2nd October 2009, 05:43 PM
My mate and i got EPA'd once a few years back, they do a test at idle and at 3500rpm, and the tester have to be a certain distance away from the vehicle, new cars are from memory 89dB and older cars 95dB (i failed miserably at 128dB.....)

Xplosv57, do you recall what the distance was that the tester did it from? also when you failed, what happens, do you get fined :blush: or told to go away and fix her up? I just bought a DB tester from tricky dickies and I'm getting 102db near the pipe at idle!

xplosv57
2nd October 2009, 05:50 PM
Xplosv57, do you recall what the distance was that the tester did it from? also when you failed, what happens, do you get fined :blush: or told to go away and fix her up? I just bought a DB tester from tricky dickies and I'm getting 102db near the pipe at idle!

Nah don't remember the distance, but have a look on the vic roads website, you might find something there.

Because i got it tested at a friends exhaust shop, they just fixed it on the spot and retested it, got an instant fine though from the police and had to get a rwc for the defect but once it was fixed, no hassles.

guy 27
2nd October 2009, 05:54 PM
as per the link i posted earlier

3.2 Microphone position.
3.2.1 The microphone shall be directed towards the orifice of the exhaust outlet and shall be
supported by a tripod or similar device not providing excessive acoustic reflection.
3.2.2 The nominal axis of maximum sensitivity of the microphone shall be substantially parallel
to the test site surface.
3.2.3 The height of the microphone above the test site surface shall be equal to that of the orifice
of the exhaust outlet + 25 mm but shall not be less than 200 mm above the test site
surface.
3.2.4 The distance of the microphone from the orifice of the exhaust outlet shall be:
3.2.4.1 in the case of a ‘Goods Vehicle’ or ‘Omnibus’ 1050 mm + 50 mm,
3.2.4.2 in the case of any other vehicle 525 mm +25 mm.

cbrmale
3rd October 2009, 02:15 PM
I used to work in the auto industry, and ADR28 applies to all cars, even if modified. The decibels allowed are not much, and almost all modified exhausts will fail. This results in a defect notice until the car is rectified.

To give you an idea, the db allowed under ADRs for a new motorcyle are seriously louder than what's allowed for a car under ADR28. Now if you've heard a new motorcyle with a stock exhaust, totally unmodified, you've got to be much quieter than that!

If you modify your car for test and modify it after the test, whoever reported you can report you again, and then you will be in serious trouble. And as far as motorcycles go, they get reported, tested and defected as well.

mania
3rd October 2009, 03:06 PM
Ferraris and that get by it with switchable exhausts, which only activate above the testing RPM... unfortunately those (xforce etc) are illegal as aftermarket additions :(.

Jerram
3rd October 2009, 04:36 PM

hey brew make sure that if the db meter has a windsock (which I think the DS ones don't) that it's fitted. The 102dB could be just a really loud exhaust, but it could also be exhaust gasses excessively "blowing" on the microphone.

AH08
3rd October 2009, 07:11 PM
Bikes (94db) are a different kettle of fish all together, when testing a bike the engine noise registers as well, while a cars (90db) motor is further away and shielded by bonnets/guards etc.. Harley Davidson (94db) has another couple of years to get their bikes to conform, that is why they have experimented with water cooling (V-Rod) as the old air cooled push rod pieces of shit can't be quietened enough. (before it starts,,,yes I have owned these piles of junk then woke up and went back to Jap bikes)
Back on topic
Have a look here as they are all pretty well standard in all states. Page 4 is offenses and fines.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/noise/08559VehicleNoise.pdf
or Victoria
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf
OP you do realize you have to pay for the testing, there is a fine involved and depending on how far you are over as to how high it is.

Majobie
8th October 2009, 09:46 AM
Ok Guys,

Got the Astra Tested yesterday at our local certified tester, the Guy was pretty good and explained a bit more, (the Astra passed as I put the standard back box on...)If I knew the procedure of the test I would not have bothered...
The tester only conducts the test, if it fails the 90db, they would advise on getting it rectified or replaced and you do the test again, the tester cannot fine or canary your vehicle...I wont be putting the magnaflow back on, but will be looking at other options to increase performance, but stay within the EPA rules...I dont think it's worth ticking these guys off!

hazrd
8th October 2009, 12:59 PM
thats good to hear mate

does anyone know if an exhaust above the db specs would void insurance? (just something that came to mind out of curiosity)

mmahle
8th October 2009, 06:24 PM
yeah, I put on a magnaflow, and I honestly just wanted a little grunt, but MAN it's LOUD! Sometimes driving it's a bit irritating listening to it. I know for sure that I'll get reported. I don't even thrash it, it's just LOUD as it goes from gear to gear. Catback make any difference?

I'm a bit worried now.... It gets attention, but not the sort of attention I want heh

Majobie
9th October 2009, 08:13 AM
yeah, I put on a magnaflow, and I honestly just wanted a little grunt, but MAN it's LOUD! Sometimes driving it's a bit irritating listening to it. I know for sure that I'll get reported. I don't even thrash it, it's just LOUD as it goes from gear to gear. Catback make any difference?

I'm a bit worried now.... It gets attention, but not the sort of attention I want heh

LOL _ I know what you mean !!! You'll need to fit another resonator/hotdog, when I had my Magnaflow first installed could not even hear the music!, remember people actually turning round to look and probably thinking . WTF is that!? anyway with the 2nd reso it wil give her a nice low tone, but still give you the grunt you need, without the attention!! They are not that expensive fitted I think I paid $70 or so fitted for the 2nd Hotdog at the time....

Anyway I got done on Burwood Highway - Burwood East by the Police/EPA - so best to stay away from that area as our cars are the same colour!!!

Keep'emRunning
9th October 2009, 11:57 AM
..i have a magnaflow as well, was really loud until the straight through centre section was replaced with an intermediate muffler. Quiet, but very nice sound now.

mmahle
10th October 2009, 12:24 AM
lol @ the hotdog comment, I'll ask for that one.
Well, I've decided I'm going to get it changed. It's really bad, and my partner doesn't even wanna be in my car now, she thinks I'm a hoon LOL. Funny that.

So what's better you think, another muffler or a hotdog? It's straight through system. I just don't wanna get caught and be back to square one you know?

PS: I've uploaded a video of the sound to my members car link. (click below). It's on youtube. Let me know what you think. (Remember when I'm playing it, it's with the windows closed...) heh

Majobie
10th October 2009, 08:52 AM
Checked out your video, mmm does have a nice drone - lol, if it bugs you probably best to get it back to the guys that installed it to see what they could do.....you have a nice ride though, like the twins!

Majobie
10th October 2009, 08:57 AM
PS: I've uploaded a video of the sound to my members car link. (click below). It's on youtube. Let me know what you think. (Remember when I'm playing it, it's with the windows closed...) heh

I'll put the Magnaflow back on and make a couple of videos to compare!

gmonkey
10th October 2009, 02:46 PM
get a varex, maybe an illegal aftermarket mod in some states (not in WA) but it will stop u getting attention cause of your drone.

when i got myn tested it was held by the guy 50cms away at a 45 degree angle at the same height as the tip and the car was held at 4500rpm.. i was told the max Db was 96db, i got 84

cbrmale
31st October 2009, 03:29 PM
thats good to hear mate

does anyone know if an exhaust above the db specs would void insurance? (just something that came to mind out of curiosity)

The answer is yes. If your car is unroadworthy, you have no insurance cover.

My previous car, a Hyundai Elantra, had a switchable muffler which exceeded 90db above 4,000rpm, but was still legal like the Ferrari. I do know that 90db is not very loud!

mania
31st October 2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know what insurance company you're with, but all the ones I know of will only void insurance if it's the part that caused the accident.

ie, fitting non ADR approved headlights definitely wouldn't void your insurance in the middle of the day, and they'd have to have good reason to void your insurance at night, ie glare from badly aligned headlights caused the other driver to hit you.

I think an insurance company would have a hard time proving that a loud exhaust note caused an accident =/, although if you neglect to tell them about the exhaust in the first place it might make their escape clauses.