PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Rear Lights?

mmahle
28th September 2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've heard of sprays you can apply to your back rear lights to make them appear darker, I've also seen lights on ebay that are professionally blackened as well. I wonder if there is also a place where you can get this done to your existing lights? Going with the whole "stealth" theme, obviously don't want it to be too dark to become illegal.

I've seen some cars have it, I just wonder how they went about it. :)

tomtom
28th September 2009, 09:04 PM
I've ordered vinyl tail lights tint from ebay like...yesterday.

I woudlnt spray because youc ant remove it when you get defected.

Note "When" you get defected lol.

I'll let you know how it goes.

mmahle
28th September 2009, 09:19 PM
yeah, I think I saw them on ebay? Are they going for like $260 pounds or something? Completely black? Are those the ones? :)

They're nice, but I didn't want to go completely black, just a light tint that's all. :)

GodsKnight
28th September 2009, 09:30 PM
you can buy a product called Nightshade from supercheap specifically designed for doing this kinda work.

nuggz
28th September 2009, 09:31 PM
im not saying that its legal

but i've had tinted lights the past 2 years
and haven't had any trouble from cops

that said, you can still see through mine, and the reflector section was not done

im pretty sure if you run into a copper in a bad mood, they'd be able to pin you on it

mmahle
28th September 2009, 09:35 PM
you can buy a product called Nightshade from supercheap specifically designed for doing this kinda work.
Is it hard to balls up? lol
Like you need a steady hand to ensure even coats?
Hrrmm.. I wonder if anyone has used it.

GodsKnight
28th September 2009, 09:36 PM
i was nearly not cleared for rego when i did mine..lucky the guy just wanted me money and left it for another day haha..wont go back to him again

nuggz
28th September 2009, 09:39 PM
i have used/using it
gods has used it
jerram has used it

check out the car threads

GodsKnight
28th September 2009, 09:41 PM
its really easy mate just light coats and stay out of the wind and any dust!

tomtom
28th September 2009, 09:51 PM
yeah, I think I saw them on ebay? Are they going for like $260 pounds or something? Completely black? Are those the ones? :)

They're nice, but I didn't want to go completely black, just a light tint that's all. :)

wot? Fk no lol.

I bought TINT not taillights

It was like...$16 for 2 sheets of 20x60cm i think.

17% tint oromsething.

:p

Asif I would spend that kind of money on taillihgts omgawd. so muhc better stuff to get for that kinda dosh D:

MatsHolden
28th September 2009, 09:56 PM
The other thing you can get done for a more professional look is have them sprayed with a tint added to a clear coat. Works very well, with a beautiful gloss finish.

9090GO
29th September 2009, 01:03 PM
I have tinted lights on my car using Nightshade, so far no defect, no worrys.

Jerram
29th September 2009, 10:57 PM
yeah it's not too hard to do

hardest part is putting the tape (on part of the reflector) on straight.

I've had coppers sitting behind me for ages and they don't bat an eyelid. In any case there are darker oem lights out there on various models.

Jerram
29th September 2009, 10:59 PM
wot? Fk no lol.

I bought TINT not taillights

It was like...$16 for 2 sheets of 20x60cm i think.

17% tint oromsething.

:p

Asif I would spend that kind of money on taillihgts omgawd. so muhc better stuff to get for that kinda dosh D:

yeah you could buy like a paint gun to shoot at tailgaters. Always wanted to do that, but I guess I'll stick with my supermisting windscreen washers.

UnKnOwN
30th September 2009, 12:52 AM
what about these? i think they look sik
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200353377480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i asked the seller postage is 100 pounds and takes a month.. lol

MatsHolden
30th September 2009, 12:21 PM
what about these? i think they look sik
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200353377480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i asked the seller postage is 100 pounds and takes a month.. lol

You could probably get that done here with your OEM lights for less than the 500 bucks it would cost you to get those shipped over here.
That's like the tinted clear coat I as referring to.

aza28
30th September 2009, 12:48 PM
had these on my EX astraT - from Germany - and IMO they look miles better than the spray-on crap that i've seen (no offence to anyone who's used it).

i had no cop issues.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r265/aza28/Astra_7.jpg