PDA

View Full Version : tranfer between computers

ASTRAY
22nd September 2009, 04:41 PM
gotta transfer many many gb from my desktop to my laptop.
any ideas?

poita
22nd September 2009, 04:48 PM
belkin usb transfer cable
hook both computer to same network and transfer files across the desktop
transfer all info to external hard drive

McTwistie
22nd September 2009, 05:17 PM
External HDD gets my vote. A 1TB (1000 gb) external drive costs less then $200 these days.

That way you get the data to your laptop AND you have a backup.

;)

poita
22nd September 2009, 05:24 PM
Jay harveys have 1tb hdd for $148 at the moment
they are western digital ones, well worth it.

out of all the options, defin the best one

delemonte
22nd September 2009, 05:28 PM
Really depends on what you have available to you. Obvious options are as follows:

Network file-sharing through a >1000Mbit network
Plug laptop drive directly into desktop motherboard (through use of adaptor if IDE, otherwise just via normal S-ATA)
Put laptop drive into a external 2.5" enclosure (USB 2.0, IEEE1394, eSATA) or vice versa using desktop HDD in external 3.5" case
A/A, PC2PC USB 2.0 transfer cable
Many many cycles using a removable disk :out:

Do you require to copy entire partitions including MBR, boot sector etc. as well so you can boot off the laptop drive afterwards (transfer entire OS & installation)? Or do you just need to transfer 'user data'?

Those are a few ideas.. If you want a more specific answer, you'll need to give more specific details.

ASTRAY
22nd September 2009, 06:10 PM
Really depends on what you have available to you. Obvious options are as follows:

Network file-sharing through a >1000Mbit network
Plug laptop drive directly into desktop motherboard (through use of adaptor if IDE, otherwise just via normal S-ATA)
Put laptop drive into a external 2.5" enclosure (USB 2.0, IEEE1394, eSATA) or vice versa using desktop HDD in external 3.5" case
A/A, PC2PC USB 2.0 transfer cable
Many many cycles using a removable disk :out:
Do you require to copy entire partitions including MBR, boot sector etc. as well so you can boot off the laptop drive afterwards (transfer entire OS & installation)? Or do you just need to transfer 'user data'?

Those are a few ideas.. If you want a more specific answer, you'll need to give more specific details.
just files, vids/pics.
i tried networking but cant seem to get it to work, not that i know what im doing lol.
ive opted for using the highlighted option, via a 1gb usb dongle. yep crazy, but its a way i know how to do it.
ill be screwed if i come across a 1gb+ file.

JohnBu
23rd September 2009, 02:33 PM
with the network, did you try it using a standard network cable..?

you need a crossover network cable- about $2 for a short one at MSY.

InsaneAsylum
23rd September 2009, 03:30 PM
you need a crossover cable and if you're feeling game configure static addresses like so:

PC
ip address: 192.168.1.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: blank

LAPTOP
ip address: 192.168.1.2

this setup should allow the 2 machines to communicate. you might need to share/map drives before you copy data over.

Ice
23rd September 2009, 04:01 PM
you need a crossover cable and if you're feeling game configure static addresses like so:

PC
ip address: 192.168.1.1

LAPTOP
ip address: 192.168.1.2

this setup should allow the 2 machines to communicate. you might need to share/map drives before you copy data over.

this is what I would suggest but how about a switch ? do you have one for your internet at home ?

ASTRAY
23rd September 2009, 04:57 PM
i tried the sharing over network thing but it didnt work.
at one point it prompted me to create a map disc but it wouldnt allow me to create on cd, the only option was floppy. but my lappy doesnt have a floppy.
now i think of it, i could have maybe created floppy, then burnt to cd... dunno....

desktop running xp
lap running vista.
might be the reason.
thing is im totally clueless setting up the sharing thing, so perhaps i done something wrong lol.
thankyou for your help anyway guys.

delemonte
23rd September 2009, 05:51 PM
Righto. Pitty you live so far away...

Do you have internet access on both the laptop and the desktop? If so (even if it is only one PC at a time - i.e. not both connected simultaneously), I'd be happy to remotely connect to your PC and configure your network appropriately so that you can transfer files.

I'll PM you my mobile number and you can just txt me if you're interested ;)

carab
23rd September 2009, 07:09 PM
Righto. Pitty you live so far away...

Do you have internet access on both the laptop and the desktop? If so (even if it is only one PC at a time - i.e. not both connected simultaneously), I'd be happy to remotely connect to your PC and configure your network appropriately so that you can transfer files.

you can use msn and just request through that, might save time and screwin around finding IP's ;)

Id personlly just rip the disk out and plug it in where i want but u do have to sorta know wat ur doing. My best recommendation as mctwistie and others have said, external hard disk. Backup is your best friend when u want it. Many can vouch when i say, its a sad sad day when it happens :o

hazrd
23rd September 2009, 07:30 PM
Many can vouch when i say, its a sad sad day when it happens :o

vouching here :inncazato:

ASTRAY
23rd September 2009, 08:55 PM
thanks guys. ill just get a external hdd.
might visit harveys tomorrow.
delemonte, thanks mate , i truly appreciate it, but i think the external thing sounds best for me.

delemonte
24th September 2009, 04:38 PM
you can use msn and just request through that, might save time and screwin around finding IP's ;)

True :cool:. Another good option might be to use TeamViewer or another *easy-way-past-firewalls-and-routers* VNC service.

delemonte, thanks mate , i truly appreciate it, but i think the external thing sounds best for me.

Roger that ;) No worries..