PDA

View Full Version : why astra?

NPR
18th September 2004, 12:52 PM
im getting a first car in a few months and an Astra (city or maybe CD) is a possibility. What do u guys like about the car, and have u had any problems with it? any general comments would be greatly appreciated, thanx :) p.s. is the cd worth the extra couple of grand as opposed to just adding the $990 pack to the city?

Bernard Siong
18th September 2004, 04:09 PM
the cd has tracton control and ABS not sure if the city has it though,
are u buying brand new?
i suggest just get a second hand CD and plus the CD badge on the side looks way better then that city sticker haha

krayzastra
18th September 2004, 04:48 PM
Dude take the badges off, looks much better!!! Either city, CD, Classic or CDX am i missing anything? besides SRi, Turbo

gaero
18th September 2004, 04:52 PM
Dude take the badges off, looks much better!!! Either city, CD, Classic or CDX am i missing anything? besides SRi, Turbo

SXi the forgotten :cry: (& under estimated :twisted: ) astra

gaero
18th September 2004, 04:59 PM
im getting a first car in a few months and an Astra (city or maybe CD) is a possibility. What do u guys like about the car, and have u had any problems with it? any general comments would be greatly appreciated, thanx :) p.s. is the cd worth the extra couple of grand as opposed to just adding the $990 pack to the city?

In a couple of months who knows what will happen when new astra is around (same name car competing with each other :screwy: ) , so hang on and look around for a good priced CD

Bernard Siong
18th September 2004, 08:25 PM

u cant really badge the CD or the CDX

gaero
18th September 2004, 09:01 PM

u cant really badge the CD or the CDX

think u mean debadge, and ur talkn about the badge embedded in the side strip, u can get immey or opc replacements if that takes ur fancy.

Bernard Siong
18th September 2004, 09:17 PM
where can i get opc badges to replace the cd bagdes?

krayzastra
18th September 2004, 09:50 PM
Ask Dug74, again about all this stuff. His contact, Craig, can get gear from Opel, Vauxhall and Irmsher. So basically the euro arm of GM. And thats anything to, i'm pretty sure not just badges.

gaero
18th September 2004, 09:57 PM
where can i get opc badges to replace the cd bagdes?

check out ebay

immy (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72211&item=7922121806&tc=photo)

EDIT OPC Badge talk to Dug

i'm sure there are other places to get them from

krayzastra
18th September 2004, 10:02 PM
I think 'Snorl' is Dougs contact anyways, hehehe, so only one LMF

gaero
18th September 2004, 10:08 PM
:lol: :lol:

EDIT: sorry dug and craig, my bad, didn't know about the connection

GOZOFF
18th September 2004, 10:09 PM

Hmm..better off getting the CD than the Classic(its not called city anymore) or the SXi if you don't mind a 3 door the Classic(city) is very basic all it has is air con as standerd no power windows or mirriors nufin :(
The CD model has power everything plus abs and traction control as standard items as well as steering wheel controls for the stereo and alloy wheels it may cost 3 grand over the basic Classic but well worth it in value and im sure you could get it cheaper if you negotiate. :wink:

NUTTTR
18th September 2004, 10:11 PM
PLEASE buy the CD....... I saw a "classic" the other day, the blue is really nice, but the mirrors are plain black, power nothing.... crap tyres....
Seriously, beg on the street for the extra money to buy the CD!!! :)
Aaron

gaero
18th September 2004, 10:16 PM
The answer to the post topic "Why Astra?"

Question should be why not,

having this fight at the momment where someone wants to get a getz rather than a barina, only cause it is 2 grand cheaper, gives me the :evil: cause I know where the extra cash is going, and in a few years time I know which car is going to be easier to sell.

same applies for classic vs CD

SXi is in another ballpark :twisted:

astra_city
19th September 2004, 01:46 AM
firstly, with the Astra as my first car as well I can definitely recommend it - drives really nicely, has a good solid feel about it, with a strong engine/good dynamics for the class.

Now about the classic vs CD, it depends how much your parents (I assume) are willing to spend. We got the city for me, as at the time the CD was going to be about 4k more on the road and by that stage for us it started to lose it's value over cars like the 323 shades. Also depends if you are going to be doign any modifications to it. I knew that I would be getting some 16" wheels with high performance tyres for my 18th, so the alloys on the CD would be semi-wasted anyway. ABS is good, power windows are nice but traction control would just annoy me :P
So CD is nice if you're willing to spend the extra, and it may be a lot cheaper in comparison to when we went looking now, but also depends what plans you have for it etc. Just my opinion 8) Enjoy!

NPR
19th September 2004, 12:13 PM
i probly wouldnt be doing any mods, as 18990 is heaps as it is and i dont really have the cash for alloys (about $1000 i presume?) or any performance stuff. ill be stoked with whatever i get i reckon.

About buying second hand, ive been looking in the papers etc and most second hand Astra's are still going for 13 to 16 grand depending on kms etc. It seems as though its better value to buy new?

plus i reckon we can bargain them down hardcore coz they are bringing in the new model.

gaero
19th September 2004, 10:25 PM
About buying second hand, ive been looking in the papers etc and most second hand Astra's are still going for 13 to 16 grand depending on kms etc. It seems as though its better value to buy new?

u right about that, astras and barinas (there are other cars I know) seem to gain in value when u drive them out the showroom door :screwy: . seen most adds asking ~$18K for 01-02 astra city, can buy brand new for a ~$20K. saw a barina 02 asking ~$15 thats about drive away on a new one (less spec, but still)

krayzastra
20th September 2004, 12:46 AM
[quote] plus i reckon we can bargain them down hardcore coz they are bringing in the new model. [quote]

not really mate, cause they still keeping the Astra G/mk IV/TS in the line as 'Classic" range, so that in normal and CD spec levels, yeah

NPR
21st September 2004, 01:34 PM
hmmm so is gerneral concensus to try for CD over classic even tho you can add traction and ABS to classic for $990?
Astra Classic is the best car in the price range, but with the cd(driveaway) you are nearing Mazda 3 prices. (approx 25k) Thats why i reckon the classic would be better with traction control and ABS... any advice welcome

Moomoo1511
21st September 2004, 01:43 PM
Wait for the new astra :)

Anonymous
21st September 2004, 02:30 PM
its all about what your tastes are, if you dont mind not having the extra bits such as power windows airbags remote central locking cd player etc etc and what not then you can go for the city/classic, now for someone like me i love that stuff so i spent the extra money, once again its all about what you look for in a car, the classics/citys are allright but the CD is a very big leap in quality IMO

Degen-Astra
21st September 2004, 02:47 PM
What I have learnt when buying a car is to also look at the desirabilty of options on a car for re-sale value.

Say in 5 to 6 years time you come to sell your car, you place an ad for a car that has power nothing no ABS or other little touchs like color coded bumpers and the like...and that ad appears in a paper or whatever next to a car that has the full package and may have a few more thousand kays on the clock...

Think about which you would go for second hand?

OzStick
22nd September 2004, 05:34 PM

I'll add my 2 cents worth and say that you'd be better with a CD. Holden seem to be pushing the sub $20k market hard with the Classic which IMO will drop their resale value in the future and possibly make the CD even more desireable for the 2nd hand buyer when it comes time for you to sell.

Another option may be to hunt around for an ex-demo 2003 or 2004 Astra CD - dealerships will be caught in a hole as they still need to sell the current model and they obviously need demo cars for prospective customers to try.

They need to keep these cars for 2 months from when they are first registered to be entitled for a factory rebate (which is quite substantial) so the moment the new model Astra comes out they will be offloading the old model demos. You can usually do a really good deal on them and you end up with pretty much a brand new car for heaps less $$.

Cybulba
22nd September 2004, 07:18 PM
for me i found if u go to drive.com.au u can compair cars and u will find astra come with many options standard compared to many other cars..

when i was looking at cars i compaired

Astra SRi T
focus ST170
WRX impezza
Nis 200SX
toy celica..

I find the astra's have great build quality.. sterdyer and stronger then the jap cars.. mose of the jappers are just alloy oragamie

And basically it killed all the others on factory standard options and then more.

most of the others u had to pay extra for stuff which was standard on the astra..

lol and non had heated seats :)

plus it was way better for insurance... $2000 lower then all the rest..

Guess u could give it a go it can hurt...

NPR
24th September 2004, 02:56 PM
hmm well the new astras out now right, so you think the old model demo's will be going at the moment? i should probly look into that coz when we asked at holden about 2 months ago they said they had none....