http://www.ausmotive.com/images/VW-Golf-R-leak-02.jpg
http://www.ausmotive.com/images/VW-Golf-R-leak-03.jpg
http://www.ausmotive.com/images/VW-Golf-R-leak-04.jpg

nuggz
15th September 2009, 10:22 AM
$million question, front or awd?

Calibrated
15th September 2009, 10:23 AM
i do believe it is the 1st golf i would actually buy. with DSG of course.

Calibrated
15th September 2009, 10:23 AM
$million question, front or awd?
awd

sooty
15th September 2009, 10:30 AM
coming to Aus?

USC
15th September 2009, 10:30 AM
How much would this car cost?

EL BURITO
15th September 2009, 10:35 AM
so is this replacing the current v6 golf or slotting between GTI and R32

Calibrated
15th September 2009, 10:37 AM
so is this replacing the current v6 golf or slotting between GTI and R32
replacing the R32

Calibrated
15th September 2009, 10:37 AM
coming to Aus?
apparantly so

How much would this car cost?
i would think it will slot in under the S3. so i would say high 50's.

gman
15th September 2009, 10:47 AM
Like the look of it, but will be very sad if the R32 V6 Golf goes....

rjastra
15th September 2009, 11:12 AM
Like the look of it, but will be very sad if the R32 V6 Golf goes....

It's history... poor emissions and fuel consumption killed it in the end.

gman
15th September 2009, 11:29 AM
But it sounds so good...And imagine a Golf with the new R36 engine in it...Maybe a turbo or two....Go on, you know you;d drive it....

nuggz
15th September 2009, 11:35 AM
But it sounds so good...And imagine a Golf with the new R36 engine in it...Maybe a turbo or two....Go on, you know you;d drive it....

i'd only drive it if the drivers seat doubled up as a dunny :eek:

Vectracious
15th September 2009, 11:53 AM
Love it

Shame the sound of the V6 is gone though...

Wraith
15th September 2009, 12:23 PM
Also on the OzAudi forum here: http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22529

Has same running gear as Audi S3/TTS...power is at 198kw / 320nm according to info there...

Apparently is coming to Aust. (I'd say that's VW Australias' excuse for not bringing in the Scirocco) and as someone said above, should slot in just under the 5 door S3's price point - so I'd imagine around 60k on road and remember most items on VAG cars are an option, so I can easily see a well equipped one of these hitting high 60's or 70k no probs...and if VW want to compete with the Sti and Evo 10 with this variant (I think that's exactly how they'll want to market this car) then that price point is definitely what to expect, after all the outgoing R32 is at that price range...

imay
15th September 2009, 12:44 PM
From what I have been told by VW reps, all the above is correct. AWD, replaces the R32, around the $60k mark + options, direct competitor for the WRX and Mitsy Evo, and . . . . Ange is right again, sadly this is the reason the Sciroco will NOT be coming to Oz. VW feel (know) it will eat into the Golf sales too much. Bummer!

Still, now that my wife has collected her new Impreza I can see why the Subarus are popular. Luverly car to drive. Can't wait till she has run it in a bit so we can take it for a decent squirt through the Hills! New Liberty could very well be a contender for my convertible replacement . . . in years to come.

rjastra
15th September 2009, 12:49 PM
- so I'd imagine around 60k on road and remember most items on VAG cars are an option, so I can easily see a well equipped one of these hitting high 60's or 70k no probs...and if VW want to compete with the Sti and Evo 10 with this variant (I think that's exactly how they'll want to market this car) then that price point is definitely what to expect, after all the outgoing R32 is at that price range...

You have a bee in your bonnet about that don't you ;)

At the moment the R32 comes standard with highspec stereo, metallic, bi-xenons and leather upholstery. So what expensive options were you talking about? Someone on another forum just picked one up for about 55K on road.

The list price $55.5K +ORC at the moment.

btm
15th September 2009, 12:56 PM
i'd tap it

hazrd
15th September 2009, 12:57 PM
god damn

ill take 2 :eek:

Wraith
15th September 2009, 01:30 PM
From what I have been told by VW reps, all the above is correct. AWD, replaces the R32, around the $60k mark + options, direct competitor for the WRX and Mitsy Evo, and . . . . Ange is right again, sadly this is the reason the Sciroco will NOT be coming to Oz. VW feel (know) it will eat into the Golf sales too much. Bummer!

Still, now that my wife has collected her new Impreza I can see why the Subarus are popular. Luverly car to drive. Can't wait till she has run it in a bit so we can take it for a decent squirt through the Hills! New Liberty could very well be a contender for my convertible replacement . . . in years to come.

Oh no...thought I' never here that one Ian... :eek:

By the time that comes around, who knows what the Liberty will be like ??

Congrats again on the Sube, if only it were an MY09 WRX then you'd really be in for a fantastic squirt through the hills :)

Wraith
15th September 2009, 01:47 PM
You have a bee in your bonnet about that don't you ;)

At the moment the R32 comes standard with highspec stereo, metallic, bi-xenons and leather upholstery. So what expensive options were you talking about? Someone on another forum just picked one up for about 55K on road.

The list price $55.5K +ORC at the moment.

Hmmm, after checking out and pricing up 3 different VAG vehicles over the last 12 months (Audi TTS, VW Golf Mk5 Gti, VW Golf Mk6 Treadline) and having an end price of up to or over 25% more than the 'basic' price because of add ons/options - I wonder where that bee under my bonnet came from rj...I can also tell you that the R32 you've noted above sounds like the 'povo or basic pack' - Recaro seats, DSG, sunroof, electric drivers seat, sat nav. park assist and lots more are all optional extras...if the above R32 came with all those you'd be looking at well over 70k...if the above person got all that for 55k - awesome deal :thumbs:

Also I would dare say that just because someone picked up an R32 for 55k on road will not mean you will have the same deal with one of these new R20's when they arrive here...

The R32 is old news and VW struggled to ever sell them in any great numbers, so of course you could get a good deal on one, especially if it's already in the showroom, they're a poor seller !

I have no doubt the R20 in decent trim level will be at or over 60k, but I'm not knocking that price point, especially when compared to an Audi S3, Sube Sti or Mitsu Evo 10...it will come down to personal choice as is always the case :)

dub_sri
15th September 2009, 01:54 PM
I like it...

mania
15th September 2009, 02:09 PM
I love it... :). If it were 30k cheaper, I'd be there :p.

rjastra
15th September 2009, 02:16 PM
I can also tell you that the R32 you've noted above sounds like the 'povo or basic pack' - Recaro seats, DSG, sunroof, electric drivers seat, sat nav. park assist and lots more are all optional extras...if the above R32 came with all those you'd be looking at well over 70k...if the above person got all that for 55k - awesome deal :thumbs:

LOL at povo spec. It's fully loaded for the price. It's equivalent to the STi with its option pack as far as equipment is concerned.

All the stuff listed is mere fluff that isn't remotely essential (maybe DSG), or even better, not even offered by the competition ;) When you actually price the options they are of a similar price to the competition. I think Subaru price their sat nav at a similar cost to VW.

A STI Spec R is $10K more than a R32.

guy 27
15th September 2009, 02:21 PM
With this type of styling. Might be worth looking at.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v435/glennyale/EDITION%2009/100_4552.jpg

Calibrated
15th September 2009, 02:34 PM

jesus.

clean up isle 3

Wraith
15th September 2009, 02:49 PM
LOL at povo spec. It's fully loaded for the price. It's equivalent to the STi with its option pack as far as equipment is concerned.

All the stuff listed is mere fluff that isn't remotely essential (maybe DSG), or even better, not even offered by the competition ;) When you actually price the options they are of a similar price to the competition. I think Subaru price their sat nav at a similar cost to VW.

A STI Spec R is $10K more than a R32.

What I mean by 'povo pack' is basic spec or base spec. (have already mentioned that) there's still an options list as long as ones arm, somehow I think you know that...

Agree it compares favourably to an Sti, not so to a WRX or MPS3 though, especially with the equipment levels and price of the later...and as has been brought up by yourself before - resale value, the R32 will plummit like a rock...

Whether or not the additional options are 'fluff stuff' or whatever else you want to tag them is personal preference is it not ?? you may not want or see the value in them but others may see differently :)

I certainly would love to have Xenon or biXenon headlights and with adaptive cornering feature if it's part of the package, sat nav. a decent stereo, keyless entry and start, especially for a daily driver, again that's just personal choice and not having to pay extra for them is a great bonus :)

I suppose we could get into comparisons between an R spec Sti and an R32 but even at 10k more the R32 pales to an Sti but again each to their own as to what they prefer...

Wraith
15th September 2009, 02:57 PM

Absolutely totally agree...

And I think VW also agree as they've put the Sciroccos face on the new Mk6 Golf range !

IMHO without that, the new MK6 has got nothing else going for it externally looks wise, the MK5 looks heaps better o/a...

rjastra
15th September 2009, 04:01 PM
Agree it compares favourably to an Sti, not so to a WRX or MPS3 though, especially with the equipment levels and price of the later...and as has been brought up by yourself before - resale value, the R32 will plummit like a rock...

Really?
2008 cars: (cant go back earlier as there is a major model change for the japs before)

Evo MR 72K new.... best price 2nd hand private = 55K = 76% retained value
STi spec r 65K new ... best price 2nd hand prv = 53K = 81% retained value
R32 56K new... best price 2nd hand prv = $44K = 78% retained value.

Seems quite consistant with the competition.

TheOperator
15th September 2009, 04:19 PM
Really?
2008 cars: (cant go back earlier as there is a major model change for the japs before)

No offense but how did you get your numbers, i.e Carsales advertised prices?

I can promise you in the auto industry the retained value after 3 years for a volkswagen v's a subaru is a far different story ;)

Subaru 06 vintage Sti's run at 69% retained value verses 55% (if you lucky) for the VW R32 of same vintage :yikes:

The reasoning behind this is that dealers know that VW is seen as a premium brand in this country and hence consumers know the cost of ownership is far more expensive, hence harder to move off yards which leads to lower trade in / retained values.

mania
15th September 2009, 04:22 PM

It also doesn't compare with the price of a Getz :confused:? Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood you.. but imo this Golf R is in an entirely different league to any FWD, so not sure how the MPS3 got brought in to the conversation.

Wraith
15th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Really?

The figures you've noted above are correct...

I was going by my previous documented research on the MPS3 thread, where the Mazda was clearly ahead of not only the VW Golf Gti, but every other brand in its class, I therefore assumed the Sube and Mitsu hi po models would be similar over this VW...

As you've noted we can't go back further, but I doubt those percentage values will be the same after a 3 year depreciation period, I'll bet the Evo will be way ahead of both the Sti and R32 and Sti will be way ahead of the R32...

Lets do this excercise again in 2 years time ;)

Wraith
15th September 2009, 04:39 PM
It also doesn't compare with the price of a Getz :confused:? Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood you.. but imo this Golf R is in an entirely different league to any FWD, so not sure how the MPS3 got brought in to the conversation.

In that instance we're talking about equipment levels/options and total package vs price and how on the VW options can increase the price point by well over 25% in fact up to over 35% whereas on an MPS3 say, there's 2 specs, with not much if anything to add as options, it's all standard on the set price...hope that makes sense :)

Wraith
15th September 2009, 04:42 PM
No offense but how did you get your numbers, i.e Carsales advertised prices?

I can promise you in the auto industry the retained value after 3 years for a volkswagen v's a subaru is a far different story ;)

Subaru 06 vintage Sti's run at 69% retained value verses 55% (if you lucky) for the VW R32 of same vintage :yikes:

The reasoning behind this is that dealers know that VW is seen as a premium brand in this country and hence consumers know the cost of ownership is far more expensive, hence harder to move off yards which leads to lower trade in / retained values.

This is correct, but as rj said, he could only go back 1 year, as the new Evo and Sti are '08 releases :)

I'm with you Operator and have already said it, compare those 3 after 3 years and the VW will have dropped like a rock ;)

mania
15th September 2009, 04:44 PM
In that instance we're talking about equipment levels/options and total package vs price and how on the VW options can increase the price point by well over 25% in fact up to over 35% whereas on an MPS3 say, there's 2 specs, with not much if anything to add as options, it's all standard on the set price...hope that makes sense :)

Ah Ok, I was thrown off by your previous post where you point out that a lot of the optional extras, which do add to the price, aren't even offered by others. ie Sunroof. So perhaps only features they both share should be considered in extra vs standard?

Wraith
15th September 2009, 04:59 PM
Ah Ok, I was thrown off by your previous post where you point out that a lot of the optional extras, which do add to the price, aren't even offered by others. ie Sunroof. So perhaps only features they both share should be considered in extra vs standard?

Yes, that or what they have as standard vs price :)

rjastra
15th September 2009, 05:16 PM
2006 R32

* Private Sale 35,500 - $39,200
* Trade In Price Guide $28,700 - $32,400
* Average Km 45,000 - 75,000
Price Guide $56,490*

2006 STI
* Private Price Guide $35,200 - $38,800
* Trade In Price Guide $29,500 - $33,100
Price Guide $56,990*

All I can is you'd be laughing no matter if you bought a STI or R32 in 2006

On the topic of expensive options.... The euros tend to supply a base spec you can individually option. The japanese provide specification levels with few or no options.

For example:

Mazda 6 Classis $34K
Mazda 6 Sports luxury $43K
The $9K buys no performance or chassis upgrades.
Bose stereo, leather, sunroof, bixenons and 18" wheels (over 17") are the big items. Doesn't seem much cheaper an option route than specifying them individually as you do on the Golf ;)

Wraith
15th September 2009, 09:11 PM
2006 R32

Price Guide $56,490*

2006 STI
Price Guide $56,990*

All I can is you'd be laughing no matter if you bought a STI or R32 in 2006

On the topic of expensive options.... The euros tend to supply a base spec you can individually option. The japanese provide specification levels with few or no options.

For example:

Mazda 6 Classis $34K
Mazda 6 Sports luxury $43K
The $9K buys no performance or chassis upgrades.
Bose stereo, leather, sunroof, bixenons and 18" wheels (over 17") are the big items. Doesn't seem much cheaper an option route than specifying them individually as you do on the Golf ;)

Thanks for that info rj.

It does indeed seem values there are still fairly even, interesting - how's the Evo look amongst that group of 3 year olds ??

It is interesting though that once you venture into the lower priced hot hatch segment, the depreciation values are a different story with the MPS3 clearly leading the way...

With options or base/luxury specs on both European and Japanese cars respectively, the pricing varies according to their initial or market segment price points...

By that I mean the difference in pricing between a basic or luxury spec Mazda 6 is greater than that of the same 2 specs in the Mazda 3, even though the differences are similar and in some cases, the same hardware being added, eg. the higher spec stereo.

Same to for the Euro cars, optioning up say a typical Audi against the same options on a typical VW will result in a much higher pricing for those similar/same features on the Audi and if you compare the same options on a higher priced Audi model to a lower one, they'll cost more on the higher priced Audi vehicle and it's the same across the board for other brands...

What I've noticed is all these brands that have a very basic car and then a long list of options, like the VW's or other Euros, you end up paying alot more to get it to the same equipment levels as a same class Japanese car with similar trim level, a good example I keep going to is the afore mentioned MPS3 or even an SP25, in that particular segment or price point.

For the sake of comaparisons the Golf lines up with the Mazda 3, not the Mazda 6, the Mazda 6 would be in the class of the next model/s up in the VW line up.

As you know I recently checked out a Golf Mk6 Trendline and Comfortline variants, they are around 35k driveaway basic spec, by the time I optioned the Comfortline the way I wanted it (believe me you have to add lots to them as they come with none of the goodies you'd want and look totally ridiculous with the base wheels etc.) it came out to nearly 47k :eek: I'd added around 10k worth of options which increased further after ORC's were added and that's not including a sunroof or DSG either !!! to get it to a similar trim level as the Mazda (ie. SP25 or MPS3) ridiculous to say the least IMHO for such a car and that Comfortline Golf will be worth alot less than the Mazda in 3 years time.

I could probably get a deal to around the low 40's in that trim, but for that money I'd still be in favour of the Mazda as it still has alot more than the Golf, even after being optioned up like that...

For comparison, a luxury SP25 manual and without sunroof to keep things even is $36,300 drive away and that's a normal price, you could deal a much better price as I already have and an MPS3 luxury is $46,780 again normal pricing.

You go back to that basic Comfortline for 35k and compare it to a 35k Mazda 3 you'd have to really do a good workover or con on yourself to still pick the VW if it came down to spending 35k on one of those 2...

Ice
15th September 2009, 09:16 PM
I love it... :). If it were 30k cheaper, I'd be there :p.

haha count me in to....Wishfull though init !

Ice
15th September 2009, 09:18 PM

this has to go down in my top 5 cars......it is sooooo sexy !

rjastra
15th September 2009, 11:17 PM
You go back to that basic Comfortline for 35k and compare it to a 35k Mazda 3 you'd have to really do a good workover or con on yourself to still pick the VW if it came down to spending 35k on one of those 2...

But I have already told you that people are buying base spec 118TSI comfortlines for 30K drive away. Add sports pack (17inch alloys, sports suspension, tyre pressure system, privacy glass, sports seats) for $2500 and you essentially get a Mazda SP25 (base) spec car bar the sat nav (which is povo spec on the mazdas). Both cars are top of their class but to me the Golf has much more potential. APR will tune the 118tsi to 150kW/315Nm for about $1600. Making it a warm hatch steal.

Sit in a euro car with optional leather and you know its leather. Luxurious and smells wonderful. Sit in a low cost japanese car with leather an it looks and smells like vinyl :(

USC
15th September 2009, 11:38 PM
But I have already told you that people are buying base spec 118TSI comfortlines for 30K drive away. Add sports pack (17inch alloys, sports suspension, tyre pressure system, privacy glass, sports seats) for $2500 and you essentially get a Mazda SP25 (base) spec car bar the sat nav (which is povo spec on the mazdas). Both cars are top of their class but to me the Golf has much more potential. APR will tune the 118tsi to 150kW/315Nm for about $1600. Making it a warm hatch steal.

Sit in a euro car with optional leather and you know its leather. Luxurious and smells wonderful. Sit in a low cost japanese car with leather an it looks and smells like vinyl :(

VW is not luxurious......Audi, BMW, Merc are but sorry...I dont not consider VW to be luxurious....its just over priced for what it is. I have examined the Golf V Gti close up inside out before and was not impressed. Built quality of a mazda seems a lot better. Interior feels nice but apart from that, it does not impress.

Leather in my AH Sri-T was not better than in my SP23 Lux...but then again...Astra is not a prestige brand.

Wraith
16th September 2009, 08:34 AM
VW is not luxurious......Audi, BMW, Merc are but sorry...I dont not consider VW to be luxurious....its just over priced for what it is. I have examined the Golf V Gti close up inside out before and was not impressed. Built quality of a mazda seems a lot better. Interior feels nice but apart from that, it does not impress.

Leather in my AH Sri-T was not better than in my SP23 Lux...but then again...Astra is not a prestige brand.

I'm of the exact same opinion, the above is very true and people who look closely or thoroughly at both these brands and models will clearly see that too...

The new MK6 Golf range is a step up in design or looks and finish with the interior over the Mk5 IMHO, but again when compared to the latest Mazdas, it's no better and in my eyes the Mazda interior is far better looking and more stylish.

But again looks is subjective and people will see things differently, same goes with 'percieved' quality vs 'actual' quality :)

gmonkey
16th September 2009, 08:49 AM
i like this car, but it doesnt excite me in anyway by the way it looks.... its to well lets say theyve done it the volkswagen way, made it dull... gimme a scirroco however cause they did good on that :p

TheOperator
16th September 2009, 09:02 AM
2006 R32

Price Guide $56,490*

2006 STI
Price Guide $56,990*

RJ those numbers are general public Redbook and not the industry version!

For your interest the public version is a "possible" figure not an "actual". Believe me there is a huge difference between the two, and this often causes major "temper tantrums" when a euro owner gets a rude shock come trade in time at how much their pride and joy has dropped in value verses a similar priced japanese vehicle would have ;)

Don't get me wrong i love euro cars more than japanese, but i know from personal experience when it came trade in time my jap cars have always held there value far better (all these have been in 40 to 70k range).

But it didn't stop me buying my AH T for shits and giggles ;)

GreyRex
17th September 2009, 10:31 AM
Found this link: http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/09/15/volkswagen-golf-r.html

Volkswagen Golf R

World Premiere of Top Golf with 270 PS Performance: New Golf R consumes up to 21 percent less fuel
Frugal – Golf R with most powerful TSI ever consumes just 8.5 litres
Exceptional – All-wheel drive top Golf shows superlative handling
Distinctive – First sixth generation Golf to display new LED taillights
Wolfsburg / Frankfurt, 15 September 2009 – Automotive passion – even in 2009 it still has something to do with power and performance. At the IAA, however, Volkswagen is demonstrating – in the world premiere of the new Golf R – that fuel consumption values can even be corrected downward in the high-end sports car area. And indeed without even a hint of a compromise in dynamic performance. On the contrary. Traditionally each new R version of this model series bears the title “strongest Golf of all times.” With a power of 199 kW / 270 PS (at 6,000 rpm), the new Golf R is continuing in this dynamic tradition; the previous model transferred 184 kW / 250 PS to its all-wheel drive system. The highlight here: While the now retired Golf R32 processed 10.7 litres of fuel through its fuel injection system every 100 kilometres, on the new Golf R the figure is just 8.5 litres – 2.2 litres or 21 percent less! CO2 emissions were reduced from 255 to 199 g/km. Like all R models, this one was also conceptualised by Volkswagen Individual.
In parallel, its performance data advanced as well. The new Golf R sprints from 0 to 100 km/h – also via all-wheel drive – in 5.7 seconds. On the previous model, the stopwatch stopped at 6.5 seconds. The new model puts the 1,000-meter mark behind it in 25.4 seconds, while the already masterful Golf R32 shot past this mark in 26.7 seconds. The Golf R does this even better with the optional DSG gearbox, sprinting to 100 km/h in a sensational 5.5 seconds and requiring just 8.4 litres petrol per 100 kilometres (equivalent to 195 g/km CO2) at the fuel pump.
The enormous efficiency gain of the new Golf R is not based on some magical trick, rather it is the result of highly advanced downsizing. Its legendary predecessor generated its power from a displacement of 3.2 litres (“32”) and six cylinders. In the new model, this is done with four cylinders and 2.0 litres of displacement – a highly advanced direct injection petrol engine with turbocharging (TSI). At the fuel pump and on the winding mountain road, this high-tech alliance is superior to a classic six cylinder unit with multi-point injection. Proving that even the sound of a four cylinder can leave a strong impression are the fifth and sixth generations of the Golf GTI, which is also powered by a four cylinder TSI. And the Golf R exhibits an even greater “sound range.”
The TSI’s torque characteristic is just as impressive. By comparison: The six cylinder of the previous model developed a maximum torque of 320 Newton-meters at 2,500 rpm. And that was already remarkably good. The turbo four-cylinder direct injection engine of the new Golf R, on the other hand, transfers 350 Newton-meters torque to the crankshaft, which is also available starting at 2,500 rpm, but it can maintain this peak value up to 5,000 rpm. So the new car delivers a fascinatingly high level of basic dynamic performance. The Golf R32 and Golf R are really only equal in one discipline; they both have a top speed of 250 km/h (electronically limited on the Golf R).
TSI of the Golf R
The EA113 series direct-injection petrol engine is used in the new Golf R; its turbocharger makes it very flexible and variable right up into the highest performance ranges. The 1,984 cm3 TSI’s specific power is a respectable 100.3 kW / 136.6 PS per litre displacement, and its response is just as impressive. The engine’s power can be spontaneously summoned in the blink of an eye throughout its speed range. The engine also impressively underscores its potential acoustically. Visually too: Its two chrome tailpipes can be seen at the centre of the bumper under the diffuser integrated there – an “R trait” that the previous model also displayed.
The in-line four-cylinder engine develops its tremendous propulsive power via a turbocharger (up to 1.2 bar boost pressure) with intercooling. The engine, with a weight of just 152 kilograms, is controlled by a fully electronic engine management system with E-Gas. The cylinders of the four-cylinder engine have been equipped with reinforcing bolts, unlike less powerful TSI versions. Also designed to be stronger are the connecting rods, so that they can reliably transfer the engine’s high torque to the crankshaft. Last but not least the cylinder block was also reinforced to handle the aggressive engine forces.
New all-wheel drive on the Golf R
As standard equipment, the Golf R transfers the TSI’s power to the road via the latest generation of Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Compared to the version implemented in the Golf R32, the system underwent significant advanced development. Above all, power transmission between the front and rear axles – especially the all-wheel differential that operates in an oil bath – exhibits clear advances compared to the previous generation. The most important one: Activation of the all-wheel differential no longer requires a difference in speeds between the front and rear axles.
That is because, different than on the previous generation, for the first time an electric pump is used to build pressure. The electric pump supplies oil to a hydraulic reservoir whose working pressure is 30 bar. A control module computes the ideal drive torque for the rear axle and controls, via a valve, how much oil pressure is applied to the working pistons of the multi-plate clutch. The contact pressure at the clutch plates rises in proportion to the desired torque at the rear axle. The amount of torque that is transferred can be varied continuously with the magnitude of the pressure applied to the clutch plates. Compared to the previous 4Motion generation, the system operates independent of slip, since the system’s working pressure is always available. When starting up and accelerating, this prevents spinning of the wheels at the front axle more effectively, since the control module regulates the torque distribution based on dynamic axle loads. In extreme cases, nearly 100 percent of the drive torque can be directed to the rear axle. This results in further gains in active safety and dynamic performance.
Sport chassis and brakes on the Golf R
When it came to the chassis, development engineers were able to adopt the first-class system in the current production Golf. This means: In front the familiar McPherson strut suspension with helical springs and telescoping shock absorbers; and at the rear a multi-link suspension ensures that the standard ESP seldom needs to intervene. Nonetheless, the basic layout was transformed into a sport chassis with ride-height lowered 25 millimetres, and the springs, dampers and stabilisers were completely retuned to match.
The brake system was also modified for the higher level of driving performance on the Golf R. In place of a 16-inch system, a 17-inch brake system is used with internally ventilated discs all around and R-specific brake calipers painted a high-gloss black with R logo. In front the discs are 345 millimetres in diameter, and 310 millimetres at the rear. The electronic stabilisation program (ESP) was also modified. It can be switched to a new Sport mode via the ESP button. During very fast and curve-filled drives – as on a motorsport race course – the ESP system delays intervention, enabling even more responsive handling properties. The electro-mechanical power-assist steering of the Golf R was also given a sportier characteristic. If the sports car is ordered with the optional DCC dynamic chassis control option, the power-assist steering even assumes a specially tuned characteristic for each of the system’s driving modes (Sport, Normal, Comfort).
The chassis maintains contact with the road through its standard newly designed 18-inch alloy wheels (“Talladega” type) with 225/40 tyres. As an option, the same wheels are available in a 19-inch version with 235/35 tyres.
Exterior features of the Golf R
Like the first two generations of the Super Golf (I starting in 2002, II in 2005) and the new sister model, the Scirocco R, the new Golf R too sports a completely modified set of exterior and interior features. Volkswagen designers, led by Klaus Bischoff, have given the Golf R an independent image with a bundle of well-coordinated refinements. The Golf R unmistakably marks the peak of the model series, and the quality of its styling follows the basic postulate of “La Semplicità” set forth by the Head of Group Design, Walter de Silva.
Outside, the customisation includes new wheels and brakes as well as new bumper designs. In front, three very large air intakes characterise the Golf R in the bumper area; the louvres on the intakes are painted in high-gloss black, and standard LED strips that serves as daytime running lights are integrated in the two outer air intakes. Also painted in high-gloss black are the two louvres of the radiator grille. Placed on the right side of the grille is the newly designed R logo in chrome. Bi-Xenon headlights, included without surcharge, illuminate the way through the night. On its sides, the Golf R is identified by its Talladega wheels, side skirt extensions in car colour and mirror housings painted in high-gloss black.
It is also possible to recognise the Golf R as an independent top model at the rear. Along with the bumper with diffuser and tailpipes, R logo and larger roof edge spoiler, the newly developed taillights stand out. They operate with standard, distinctive LED technology. The taillight covers are also smoked.
Interior features of the Golf R
The sixth generation Golf, with its high-end interior materials, breaks through boundaries to the next higher class. The Golf R also benefits from this quality image; it is in a league of its own based on its power reserves. Additional special upgrades developed by Volkswagen Individual underscore the car’s high-class positioning.
A key equipment option here is the newly designed “Top Sport seat system” with its excellent ergonomic properties. The driver just sits down, adjusts the seat longitudinally and in height, adjusts the steering wheel, buckles up, and is ready to go. The seat fits as though tailor-made. Together with the similarly customised Golf GTI and Golf GTD, the Golf R sets standards here among the international competition. The centre panels of the sport seats are upholstered in the honeycomb textured grey-black “Kyalami” design – named after the race course by the same name in South Africa. The front edge of the seat is upholstered in Titan Black fabric, while the inside panels of the side supports are upholstered with crystal-grey “San Remo” micro-fibres. The rest of the seat components and the roofliner are coloured black. The new R logo is embroidered in the front head restraints as well. Motorsport shell seats for driver and front passenger are also available as an option. In this case, the centre seat panels are upholstered in the “San Remo” micro-fibre fabric. On the outside, the shell seats are covered with black leather.
All seams of the interior are in “Art Grey”; this is also true of the decorative seams on the three-spoke leather steering wheel. Perforated leather is used at the top and bottom of the steering wheel, ensuring maximum hand grip. The sides of the steering wheel featuring ergonomic motorsport attributes are covered by continuous leather. Spokes in fine black piano paint add an elegant aspect to complete the sporty image. The centre steering wheel spoke bears the new R logo. The fascinating material contrast of piano paint and chrome conveys an image of the passion for finesse and precision in every detail.
Other new design features include the R gearshift knob, carpet floor mats, aluminium door tread plates with R logo and the instruments with their blue pointers. Stainless steel sport pedals and R-specific instrument and door accents in “Silver Lane” style complete the customisation. Another standard feature on the Golf R is an automatic climate control system (“Climatronic”), “RCD 310” radio-CD system (4 x 20 Watt) including MP3 player plus dual tuners. The Golf R can be ordered in Germany starting at the end of this year.

Wraith
17th September 2009, 11:58 AM
That's quite a read and quite a marketing push...

Same engine/driveline on the Audi TTS is at 7.9ltrs/100km...

They're still calling the AWD in the VW's 4 motion, but this is the same Haldex 4 as employed by the latest Audi 4 potters, which is an improvement over previous Haldex units...

It all sounds pretty good and a definite improvement over the V6 R range, will be interesting to see the Aust. price point :)

mania
17th September 2009, 12:07 PM
345mm front brakes? Computer controlled AWD that can give anywhere up to 100% power to rear? Jap like power from a 2L with Euro like low-rpm torque?

Sounds very, very appealing ^.~

Liking the latest generation of DI turbo engines..

Wraith
17th September 2009, 12:27 PM
345mm front brakes? Computer controlled AWD that can give anywhere up to 100% power to rear? Jap like power from a 2L with Euro like low-rpm torque?

Sounds very, very appealing ^.~

Liking the latest generation of DI turbo engines..

Nothing new or special there mania, as said, it's the same as has been employed in Audis of late ;)

And yes the Haldex 4 can transmit 100% of power to the rear wheels, but it'll only do it in the extreme-est of circumstances...you can get an ecu tune done on the Haldex 4 to do this on a more regular basis :)

This particular 2.0ltr donk is indeed a gem, it can be tuned all the way to 278kw / 496nm as is without major hardware upgrades...definite improvement over previous 2.0ltr turbo engines in the VAG line up...

But they still pale compared to the latest Japanese high power 2.0ltr powerplants mania - the Mitsu MIVEC of the Evo 10 leaves it for dead, it can be tuned to over 320kw / 550nm without opening the engine or changing the turbo...

Evo 10's are running 10sec 1/4 miles with tuned MIVEC's and it's all been through remapping, exhausts, intercooler and intake upgrades only :)

mania
17th September 2009, 12:48 PM
I guess that's true, but I tend to think of those evo engines like GT30+ LETs... technical showpiece, not meant to be owned or driven ;). I guess my previous statement was a bit too enthusiastic - is still a lot of power from a smaller turboed engine though. Probably has twice the power the evo does at 2500rpm :p.

And I'm wayy behind on Audi tech. Kind of gave up being interested in them when I saw their Australian price range =/. EDIT: (Same thing that's probably going to make me lose interest in the Golf R :p)

Interesting about the remap. Would be nice for a tuner to add a "Bias" knob... so you could tune it on the fly.

rjastra
17th September 2009, 01:21 PM
But they still pale compared to the latest Japanese high power 2.0ltr powerplants mania - the Mitsu MIVEC of the Evo 10 leaves it for dead, it can be tuned to over 320kw / 550nm without opening the engine or changing the turbo...

Except the MIVEC engine of the EVO (and ralliart) is a complete gas guzzler.

Also:

Haldex controller

http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html

Wraith
17th September 2009, 01:24 PM
I guess that's true, but I tend to think of those evo engines like GT30+ LETs... technical showpiece, not meant to be owned or driven ;). I guess my previous statement was a bit too enthusiastic - is still a lot of power from a smaller turboed engine though. Probably has twice the power the evo does at 2500rpm :p.

And I'm wayy behind on Audi tech. Kind of gave up being interested in them when I saw their Australian price range =/. EDIT: (Same thing that's probably going to make me lose interest in the Golf R :p)

Interesting about the remap. Would be nice for a tuner to add a "Bias" knob... so you could tune it on the fly.

The MIVEC has very good low end power and torque too as have the new boxers of the Subes, they have full variable timing on both intake and exhaust sides now which helps alot with that. :)

Yep, tuning the front/rear power bias on the fly would be good - a bit like what you can do with Sube Sti's and Libertys :) Japs one step ahead again...

And yeah Audis are so hot, but damn the price points on all their range...I'm still keen on a TTS though, waiting for the MY10 face lift before making any firm decisions...:smile2:

Mk6 Golf R20 will definitely not be a cheap offering here in Aust. save your pennies and get an Audi instead ;)

Wraith
17th September 2009, 01:32 PM
Except the MIVEC engine of the EVO (and ralliart) is a complete gas guzzler.

Also:

Haldex controller

http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html

If you reaearch it's total technical specs, you'll quickly discover why rj.

Factory 'stoich' or AFR is very rich in setting, as it's been designed to expand the power envelope to a much greater power level...it also features a fuel pump and injectors that go way beyond the factory power level as well, obviously set up for easy and inexpensive future model power increases...

Simple remaps and exhaust enhancements not only result in massive power increases, but also return far superior specific fuel consumption figures as well ;)

Am aware of all the APR (and HPA) gear for the Haldex, there's a guy on the OzAudi forum getting one off stuff done by APR Aust. to his TTS ATM am watching with keen interest for the final results...

HPA are also setting up shop here in Aust. soon (in NSW) :cornut:

rjastra
17th September 2009, 02:47 PM
Mk6 Golf R20 will definitely not be a cheap offering here in Aust. save your pennies and get an Audi instead ;)

Jusdging by the prices being thrown round for the new MK 6 Golf GTI in Australia (not much change at all) I would expect the GOlf R (no such thing as the R20 etc anymore) to be roughly the same as the outgoing R32. Mid 55K + ORC. So roughly 10K less than a S3 or top spec STI/EVO X

New performance figures have the Golf R at 0-100 in 5.5/5.7 secs

Wraith
17th September 2009, 02:57 PM
Jusdging by the prices being thrown round for the new MK 6 Golf GTI in Australia (not much change at all) I would expect the GOlf R (no such thing as the R20 etc anymore) to be roughly the same as the outgoing R32. Mid 55K + ORC. So roughly 10K less than a S3 or top spec STI/EVO X

New performance figures have the Golf R at 0-100 in 5.5/5.7 secs

If that's the case, then it will definitely be competitive :)

We can only wait and see...

Performance is similar to S3/TTS...

Apologies for quoting R20 everywhere, can't get that designation out of my mind LOL :)

rjastra
17th September 2009, 04:48 PM
Apologies for quoting R20 everywhere, can't get that designation out of my mind LOL :)

Apparently all future "fast" VW models will be suffixed "R" only. No reference to engine capacity .

For instance:

Passat R36 -> Passat R

Wraith
17th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Apparently all future "fast" VW models will be suffixed "R" only. No reference to engine capacity .

For instance:

Passat R36 -> Passat R

Makes sense as maybe they don't want similarities between the VW models and Audis which have a letter R followed by a number designation...