PDA

View Full Version : New Phone

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 12:43 AM
Quick Survey

Blackberry 8900 Curve (no 3G)
Blackberry 9000 Bold (3G)
Nokia E71 (3G)

Don't really want another Windows mobile device, and I definately do not want an iPhone.

Needs to be able to sync to MS Outlook with no issues....

gmonkey
12th September 2009, 12:51 AM
i hear the blackberry bold is great! mate got e71 didnt live up to what he expected..

Ice
12th September 2009, 12:53 AM
Quick Survey

Blackberry 8900 Curve (no 3G)
Blackberry 9000 Bold (3G)
Nokia E71 (3G)

Don't really want another Windows mobile device, and I definately do not want an iPhone.

Needs to be able to sync to MS Outlook with no issues....

I just selected the 8900 as I was going to buy one. Apparently the gprs is hardly any diff for BB services compared with the 3G although its still silly not to have that feature...nowadays anyway. The 9000 is far to bulky and heavy. go to GSM arena and read a couple of reviews and compare the BB's...i wouldnt bother with that Nokia.....have you thought about the new Nokia E72 or even the E52? looks very nice, has by far the best feature range.......

gmonkey
12th September 2009, 12:55 AM
Just in the blackberry range... stay away from the storm, i have one its absolute crud

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 01:04 AM
yeah have read all the reviews on GSM arena.

was leaning towards the curve because its smaller than the bold - but the lack of 3G was putting me off. Wasnt really thinking about the Nokia because my wife has an E66 and she hates it. But at the footy tonight my mate just got a E71 and he loves it. Played with it a bit and its quick and not laggy like the E66. Problem is it seems to suffer the same bug that my wife's E66 has about the camera application not closing properly...

Blackberry's are also more expensive still - Nokia on a $49 plan and I'm ready to throw my HTC TyTN II out the window.

can't see the E72 on the Optus website.... and on the Nokia website its still saying Coming soon....

Ice
12th September 2009, 01:22 AM
yeah have read all the reviews on GSM arena.

was leaning towards the curve because its smaller than the bold - but the lack of 3G was putting me off. Wasnt really thinking about the Nokia because my wife has an E66 and she hates it. But at the footy tonight my mate just got a E71 and he loves it. Played with it a bit and its quick and not laggy like the E66. Problem is it seems to suffer the same bug that my wife's E66 has about the camera application not closing properly...

Blackberry's are also more expensive still - Nokia on a $49 plan and I'm ready to throw my HTC TyTN II out the window.

can't see the E72 on the Optus website.... and on the Nokia website its still saying Coming soon....

im pretty sure ive heard the Nokia's have plenty of issues with software when they first come out.....maybe if your going the E71 wait a bit and see what other people think after a month or so once the novelty wears off. See the lack of 3G was also putting me off the 8900 despite the advice of others saying it didnt really make much diff....so typical of BB, the makings of such a good phone and they take out 3G ! they have another model out with 3G but it wont be here for a while and its...well I think its hideous......bahhh there are just so many choices out there, its a matter of weighing up all the pros and cons and just going for it and hoping you are lucky, haha, I look for weight and size of the handset and also a biggy is battery life and the customizability. features is an obvious one. I simply couldnt decide......I kept saying ill wait for it to come out in the shops and then bam......that Nokia E72 comes out and im hooked on that....but its not reached our shores yet.....grrrrr, Living in the UK did have its advantages. the 8900 is $600 on ebay brand new and unlocked...maight be an idea and then you can choose your plan, not be dictated by the telco's

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 08:14 AM
yeah - bought the TyTN outright because I couldnt be stuffed with plans - however can't really afford to shell out 600-900 on a phone outright - especially if I can get it on plan with no extra repayments....

Had a look at the E72 and it might be worth waiting for that - trackpad looks awesome and the Symbian 9.3 software also looks pretty good. Hopefully its available through all the telcos because I'm stuck with Optus as a carrier (which sucks because they are crap - last night at the MCG I kept loosing a signal repeatedly over about an hour - mates iPhone on Optus was doing the same thing too - Dad's BB9000 on Telstra kept a rocksolid 3G connection, so did my mates 3 E71 :rolleyes: )

Calibrated
12th September 2009, 08:18 AM
8900 Curve for sure. loved that phone to bits. no frills, just does exactly what it needs to do, and does it well.

BEK-46P
12th September 2009, 08:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you get an iPhone?

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 09:01 AM
I just don't like them - plus I don't want a phone for apps and games and all the associated rubbish you can get with an iPhone - it needs to have a good calender and contacts database (which after playing an iPhone I decided I don't like the way the calender works - windows mobile calendes and contact databases are superior), it needs to integrate with MS outlook properly and I don't like the onscreen keyboard (this means the HTC touch diamond 2 is also out of the question)

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 03:48 PM
8900 Curve for sure. loved that phone to bits. no frills, just does exactly what it needs to do, and does it well.

Ash - did you find the lack of 3G on the Curve any way a limitation?

poita
12th September 2009, 04:34 PM
no comment

gmonkey
12th September 2009, 04:41 PM
no comment just ban

Calibrated
12th September 2009, 10:03 PM
Ash - did you find the lack of 3G on the Curve any way a limitation?
nope, but then again we were with Telstra, so coverage was never an issue anyway. speed was fine. yes the bold (3G) had faster download speeds, but really, how often do you use the net on your phone? unless you wanted it for voice calling. but then the 8900 doesnt have a camera anyway.

the bold is also a great phone, but i just preferred curve.

however, i do LOVE my xperia x1.

gmonkey
13th September 2009, 01:00 PM
or in my case OA on the phone 24/7 :p

DEE-80Y
16th September 2009, 06:16 PM
So what did you decide on?

I will be picking up my BB bold 9000 tomorrow (hopefully), will let you know what I think of it once I've had a play around with it.

Vectracious
16th September 2009, 07:36 PM
just got my 8900 curve today. Love the size of it and the screen is prob the best I've ever seen on a mobile phone :D

I was happy to trade off the lack of 3G on the curve for the size of it. I've got wireless at work and at home I can log into so don't need3G - plus the fact that the Optus 3G network is basically a pile of shit and you're lucky to get a 2G signal out in Berwick means I don't care if I dont have it.

having a couple of issues with syncing via bluetooth at the moment, but I think the new desktop manager will fix most of those...

Vectracious
16th September 2009, 10:44 PM
crap...

one thing I didnt realise is that most of the blackberry apps out there only work if you have a blackberry data plan on your account. I realised this was the case for the email, but I thought that because I use gmail mostly I could just use the gmail for mobile java app that I had running on my old HTC.......

ba-bow

can only use it via a GSM data connection, not through wifi.

Its not too much of an issue because I can just browse to gmail through the browser and use it via that - just would have been nice if the app worked through wifi...

might just have to bight the bullet and get the extra BB email Internet services so at least I can use the blackberry email client....

Calibrated
17th September 2009, 06:32 AM
crap...

one thing I didnt realise is that most of the blackberry apps out there only work if you have a blackberry data plan on your account. I realised this was the case for the email, but I thought that because I use gmail mostly I could just use the gmail for mobile java app that I had running on my old HTC.......

ba-bow

can only use it via a GSM data connection, not through wifi.

Its not too much of an issue because I can just browse to gmail through the browser and use it via that - just would have been nice if the app worked through wifi...

might just have to bight the bullet and get the extra BB email Internet services so at least I can use the blackberry email client....

if you can write it off as a business expense (do you have an exchange server, etc?), i would look at getting BES. however the BB IS does the job just fine.

the native browser is good, but definitely download Opera Mini. much nicer.

as for App World, it doesnt work for Australia yet. however, there is a crack some guys have used on their 8900's to force it to work

http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/blackberry-general-discussion/5770-apps-world-australia.html

DEE-80Y
21st September 2009, 07:18 PM
Got my Bold 9000 yesterday, and I'm still trying to figure it all out as I'm used to Nokia's. But so far this is a good piece of machine, as I do alot of emails and invoices, this works well for me.

So far, so good. :D

btm
22nd September 2009, 09:08 AM
anyone still in the market for a 9000 bold?

it just so happens that i have a brand new one for sale if anyone is interested

ROCCO
22nd September 2009, 12:48 PM
Hey vectracious good luck getting the bluetooth working...Blackberrys in general a royal pain in the ass when it comes to bluetooth. I have a 8700G think I can transfer anything via bluetooth...nope...can't wait for next july....IPHONE TIME!!

Calibrated
22nd September 2009, 01:58 PM
Hey vectracious good luck getting the bluetooth working...Blackberrys in general a royal pain in the ass when it comes to bluetooth. I have a 8700G think I can transfer anything via bluetooth...nope...can't wait for next july....IPHONE TIME!!
:confused:

we never had problems using bluetooth on our 8900/9000's. everything from file transfers to bluetooth car kits and bluetooth radio's.

ROCCO
22nd September 2009, 03:31 PM
i've tried sending a file from the wifes N95 to my 8700G..keeps declining...driving me nuts

MatsHolden
22nd September 2009, 07:36 PM
I've got an E71 Pete, does the job. Then again, a phone is a phone to me.

Vectracious
23rd September 2009, 11:37 PM

no issues - hooks up to my Blueant Speakerphone in the car no probs - also syncs via bluetooth to my laptop - again no issues.

oh god - another iPhone :rolleyes:

gman
24th September 2009, 10:26 AM
I have to have Crackberry's because of work...had a Storm, broke it..Got a Curve and a Bold ATM (One for Oz and one for HK number) and they are good once you get used to them.

Had the same issue with Gmail that you did too, but had work change the plan and now it works fine but it is prone to locking up on the Curve. Bold it runs a bit better on though...

Vectracious
24th September 2009, 06:07 PM
MMS does not work. Called up Optus customer service on Tuesday morning - the plan I bought the phone on said "free SMS and MMS" - with no disclaimer about Blackberry's.

Cust Service: Oh, you need the Blackberry Data bolt on for MMS to work
Me: Why?
CS: Because MMS uses data, and the only way to send data through your blackberry is to have the Blackberry bolt on.
Me: So you guys are falsely advertising, and your shop assistants don't know the products they are selling because I was assured by the assistant that I would have free MMS and $5 capped worth of data from Optus Zoo.
CS: Please tell me where it says that you get free MMS
Me: http://www.optus.builtforbusiness.com.au/phone.php?phone_ref=Blackberry_8900_Curve
CS: I can't access that page, it says its forbidden
Me: ARE YOU SERIOUS??? YOU CANT EVEN ACCESS YOUR OWN WEB PAGES?

anyway, I ended up telling them the whole thing was ridiculous and I'm going back to the Optus World shop and I was going to return the phone.

Went in with my contract and a print out of the webpage and said to them that I either get a satisfactory outcome (MMS on my $59 plan or a different handset) or I'm not going to move the whole business over to Optus from Telstra, nor are am I going to move my home phone and Foxtel and possibly my home internet over to Optus either.

And as if by magic, they can get MMS to work on my phone in about 20 mintues for no extra money.... :rolleyes:

Calibrated
24th September 2009, 07:46 PM
optus is gay

Vectracious
24th September 2009, 09:25 PM
optus is gay

100% agree - only reason I went with Optus is because my business partners have both got fairly new iPhone plans with them which they couldnt break, whereas I was out of contract with Telstra.... :rolleyes: at Optus and :rolleyes :rolleyes: at iPhone

lfw089
24th September 2009, 11:36 PM
Go blackberry bold 9000!

just make sure you get the latest software update (easy to do, if you get one, I'll guide you through it) cos the older version of software tends to crash a little...

I've had mine for 8 months+ after having an iPhone (never again!) and I haven't been this happy with a phone in...well, ever!:D

lfw089
24th September 2009, 11:43 PM
if you're making big numbers on your phone bill every month (and I mean BIG numbers, I'm on 20+ hours a month), go vodafone and get the BB unlimited plan. $114 a month, unlimited data, Text and Voice (provided you don't youtube on your phone and all that crap). Best plan choice I ever made! along with the 9000 Bold

Vectracious
25th September 2009, 07:58 AM
already got the 8900 :D - despite the lack of the 3G, the size of it more than makes up for that. Plus, the only data I use it for is for gmail (the app, not through the blackberry email) and mms and the speed is fine with that because there are not a lot of graphics to display

gman
25th September 2009, 10:49 AM
if you're making big numbers on your phone bill every month (and I mean BIG numbers, I'm on 20+ hours a month)

So does $1500+ a month count as big numbers??? ;)

Thankfully I don't pay for either of my phones, work does and I use them as my only numbers both for Oz and HK.