PDA

View Full Version : It's Official (apparently :) )

Nurb608
11th September 2009, 10:39 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8247971.stm

Sale of Opel and Vaux

gmonkey
11th September 2009, 11:02 AM
Wonder if we will get opel/vaux dealers appearing soon maybe?

nuggz
11th September 2009, 11:05 AM
Wonder if we will get opel/vaux dealers appearing soon maybe?

unlikely
just from a quick read
looks like they're more focused on stability rather than expansion for the time being

gmonkey
11th September 2009, 11:20 AM
but surely someone over here will try to get the rights to import and sell opel/vaux, the sales of the astra alone u'd be silly to pass up the opurtunity

EL BURITO
11th September 2009, 11:24 AM
Ok, so if GM only own 35% of Opel/Vaux that dose not give them a controlling share in the company.

gmonkey
11th September 2009, 11:26 AM
nope leaving it available to be independtly imported by another.. even though GMH will still try to claim its theres without a doubt

mr corsa
11th September 2009, 11:54 AM
Who cares

btm
11th September 2009, 11:55 AM
looks like they're more focused on stability rather than expansion for the time being
and so they should be... not really the right time or economic environment to be expanding globally

Wraith
11th September 2009, 12:02 PM
but surely someone over here will try to get the rights to import and sell opel/vaux, the sales of the astra alone u'd be silly to pass up the opurtunity

It's alot more complicated than that and as always, the dollar value or outcome that they would get is of primary interest/concern...

That said, with the continuing influx of cheaper Korean cars and the already well established Japanese brands controlling the market place, who'd want to have the more expensive (and not neccessarily better) Opels to compete here with them...not very good businesss sense...

nuggz
11th September 2009, 12:04 PM
and so they should be... not really the right time or economic environment to be expanding globally

very much so
i'll bet the next few years, they'll just be hoping to keep the factories running :rolleyes: (or the workers will be hoping they want to)

Wraith
11th September 2009, 12:04 PM
Who cares

Hate to sound cynical, but I too am loosing interest in GMH/opel product of late as well...

MatsHolden
11th September 2009, 12:07 PM
That said, with the continuing influx of cheaper Korean cars and the already well established Japanese brands controlling the market place, who'd want to have the more expensive (and not neccessarily better) Opels to compete here with them...not very good businesss sense...

That's a good point.

Not to mention the fact that most of the people that buy Astras have no idea who the hell Opel is. So a new brand coming into a country where most of the potential customers have never heard of the brand...

Vectracious
11th September 2009, 12:30 PM
+1 to Mat and Mr Corsa and Ange

Just because everyone here bought Astra's doesnt mean the rest of Australia will just because they are an opel. Also, if they do bring them here, the economics of it will prohibit ANY opel from competing on price against any of the Koreans or even some Japanese.

MatsHolden
11th September 2009, 12:32 PM
the economics of it will prohibit ANY opel from competing on price against any of the Koreans or even some Japanese.

Exactly... otherwise Holden would still be bringing the Astra in.

PO15KA
11th September 2009, 05:59 PM
so does this mean we can now start importing those 2 door coupe Astra G's and the wagons from NZ???

auzvectra
11th September 2009, 06:45 PM
That's a good point.

Not to mention the fact that most of the people that buy Astras have no idea who the hell Opel is. So a new brand coming into a country where most of the potential customers have never heard of the brand...

haha, i spoke to a chick in an opelised g vert that had no idea what opel was!!!

bender
11th September 2009, 07:18 PM
haha one of the pommy guys at work said to me a couple of weeks ago "WHY DO YOU HAVE AN OPELAUS STICKER ON YOUR CAR WHEN YOU DRIVE A HOLDEN" so i took him around the car and pointed out all the stuff the had opel written on it :D and yet he still didnt believe me

MitchSRi
11th September 2009, 11:47 PM
The arguement about economic downturn is not exactly true.

Fiat and Skoda recently launched out here are are selling in quite impressive numbers.

Likewise new model euro vehicles from VW/Ford/others are being pushed to the Australian market.

Keep in mind that Australia is not doing too badly in terms of world economics, so there is money to be made from Australian car sales.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Fiat/Skoda/Adeco look into selling Opels out here as a separate "niche" brand (like Skoda is now).

The Tigra, GT, Insignia, Astra, Corsa, VXRs are all cars Aussies might buy!

Exactly... otherwise Holden would still be bringing the Astra in. Not really, and people have missed this.

Holden have just forked out an absolute mint in order to get the Cruze platform off the ground. In order for the Cruze to succeed (and of course end up being built locally), they need to wipe out other choices from their range to increase interest in the Cruze.

After all if you have the option of a well built european car vs a cheap korean car assembled in Australia, then you pick the Euro car everytime.

HoldenAstra
11th September 2009, 11:50 PM
+1:d

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 12:19 AM
After all if you have the option of a well built european car vs a cheap korean car assembled in Australia, then you pick the Euro car everytime.

No they won't.....Joe Average will pick the cheaper alternative.

Its why they sold more TK Daewoo Barinas than Opel XC Barinas...

gmonkey
12th September 2009, 01:04 AM
guess got to remember joe bloggs doesnt know much about cars and that the new barina is a daewoo..

Vectracious
12th September 2009, 01:39 AM
guess got to remember joe bloggs doesnt know much about cars and that the new barina is a daewoo..

exactly - and there are a lot more Joe Bloggs out there than OpelAus members.. ;)

ASTRAY
13th September 2009, 07:54 AM
i take every opportunity to let people know the newer holden models are daewoos. except the commodores of course.
but really, if things kept getting bad in australia, how long would it be before holden decided to import a larger sized daewoo and rebadge it as a commodore.

Vectracious
13th September 2009, 08:52 AM
how long would it be before holden decided to import a larger sized daewoo and rebadge it as a commodore.

maybe something like the Daewoo Veritas? ;)

ASTRAY
13th September 2009, 10:31 AM
maybe something like the Daewoo Veritas? ;)
i dont know, but i think id be right in guessing holden would have some sort of input on the design of the car, ie exterior shape, to help it blend in with the "current" shape, to kind of fool the public.
to bring out a completely different shape would make a fair few people question its origin. so theyd have to blend it in somehow.
though im sure ford/toyota/mitsa would be quick to point out that a certain "all aussie" car had now resorted to sourcing cheap korean models.
ford would have a field day with it.
actually im quite suprised ford arent already having a field day with it.
i havent been to see any focus or fiesta or daewoo barina... but id say the euro focus and fiesta (is the fiesta euro?) would be much better quality than the barina and cruise. again this is only an assumption.

Vectracious
13th September 2009, 12:16 PM
i dont know, but i think id be right in guessing holden would have some sort of input on the design of the car, ie exterior shape, to help it blend in with the "current" shape, to kind of fool the public.

Was a tongue in cheek comment Jas :p - Daewoo Veritas is a V6 WM Caprice :p

http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpapers/automotive/GM-Daewoo-Veritas-2009-1-1024x768.jpg

ASTRAY
13th September 2009, 12:18 PM
Was a tongue in cheek comment Jas :p - Daewoo Veritas is a V6 WM Caprice :p

http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpapers/automotive/GM-Daewoo-Veritas-2009-1-1024x768.jpg
bah, good on ya, just goes to show how much i know about most cars lol.

and i guess im the one who was fooled.

gmonkey
13th September 2009, 01:49 PM
holdens input on their daewoo lineup = 0

its not made just for holden:p

rjastra
13th September 2009, 09:06 PM
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6580791/corporate/everybodys-happy-gm-gets-magna-and-gaz-to-save-opel/index.html

Under the agreement, and because of the government loans GM has received from the U.S. and Canada, Opel/Vauxhall can't sell cars in the United States, Canada, China or South Korea. Magna's Stronach may try to negotiate something with the Canadian government, but even then, he couldn't bring cars and trucks south across the 49th parallel and Canada's auto market is less than a tenth the size of the U.S.'s.

holdens input on their daewoo lineup = 0

And we all know thats untrue ;)

gman
15th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Magna specifically stated in their business plan that Opel will concenrate on Europe and specifically Russia in the short term to increase sales.

The sale doc is long and boring but basically, 2 or 3 plans to close, 3,000 to 3,500 jobs to go maybe and Opel/vauxhall to remain technical partners with GM and with the debt incurred through govt loans they will be servcing GM debt by using GM tech for a while....

Shaun
15th September 2009, 03:34 PM
The arguement about economic downturn is not exactly true.

Fiat and Skoda recently launched out here are are selling in quite impressive numbers.

Skoda's Lunch was in prep for Australia well over 2 years. Its just unfortunate that launched most of there product range just before or at the start of the down turn.

As others have said. I highly doubt Opel or Vauxhall products will be sold here as there own brand.

The best chance of the New Astra hitting Australia's Shore was if they were rebadged as Holden's again and we all know thats not going to happen. Setting up Opel or Vauxhall In Australia would be extemely costly to Opel or to an independent importer. Personally i think we will see an influx in Chinese Built cars like Great Wall Motor which has already started to build a dealer network.

rjastra
15th September 2009, 03:45 PM
Interestingly though.... GM China builds the "Insignia" there as a Buick. Perhaps they could send this to Australia (RHD of course) as a Holden using the Buick styling.

gman
15th September 2009, 04:04 PM
China is LHD though...

But they luv Buick's over there for some strange reason. Everytime I been to China there's Buick EVERYWHERE!!!!

MitchSRi
15th September 2009, 06:27 PM
Magna specifically stated in their business plan that Opel will concenrate on Europe and specifically Russia in the short term to increase sales.

The sale doc is long and boring but basically, 2 or 3 plans to close, 3,000 to 3,500 jobs to go maybe and Opel/vauxhall to remain technical partners with GM and with the debt incurred through govt loans they will be servcing GM debt by using GM tech for a while.... I don't understand why they would do this.

Europe in general is being hit bigtime by the global economic crisis, andd as such is probably the worst market someone to try and push for sales these days.

At least Australians are still buying new vehicles (I know of quite a few people buying new cars of late).

Shaun
16th September 2009, 12:05 AM
I don't understand why they would do this.

Europe in general is being hit bigtime by the global economic crisis, andd as such is probably the worst market someone to try and push for sales these days.

At least Australians are still buying new vehicles (I know of quite a few people buying new cars of late).

Because the cost of setting up here in Australia would cost millions if not billions
in investment. Setting up of a parts distribution centre alone would be I'm the tens of millions.
Then there's the dealer network. That a task in it's self . Australia is flooded with choice already. In a time where many families are struggling and many manfacturers are struggling to meet targets it would ne a gamble that's too high a risk.

As for sales motor vehicle sales are Down . I know of one dealer that sold two cars all weekend.

Nurb608
4th November 2009, 11:05 AM
And a backflip :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8341485.stm

nuggz
4th November 2009, 12:04 PM
And a backflip :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8341485.stm

interesting

even if opel does remain under the GM banner
opel in australia are probably still a thing of the past.

oh well.

gman
4th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Its not a done deal yet, unfortunately. There are many legal knots to untie to get this stopped now...

As for Opel in Oz, I wouldn't kill it off just yet...Depends on the products they get from Korea & Germany...With the AUD so high ATM, the old arguement of FX cost/risk falls away...

Shaun
4th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Very interesting. Will this open the Channel of HSV bringing the Insigina into Australia again?

gman
4th November 2009, 05:32 PM
Here's hoping...

If they continue to plan to keep selling the Commondoor into the UK, then a reciprocal deal for Vauxhall/Opel based cars could be back on

Nurb608
4th November 2009, 05:33 PM
Very interesting. Will this open the Channel of HSV bringing the Insigina into Australia again?

I like your thinking :)

Shaun
4th November 2009, 07:43 PM
Here's hoping...

If they continue to plan to keep selling the Commondoor into the UK, then a reciprocal deal for Vauxhall/Opel based cars could be back on
The deal of selling the VXR8 wasnt going to cease regardless of the sale of Opel i am lead to believe.