PDA

View Full Version : free WinZip alternatives...

PO15KA
10th September 2009, 05:25 PM
im looking for a free alternative to WinZip for Windows. easy to use and free... any suggestions?

gman
10th September 2009, 05:26 PM
I always use winrar....

Nurb608
10th September 2009, 05:35 PM
I always use winrar....

same :D

HappySlapper82
10th September 2009, 05:51 PM
I always use winrar....

Thats not free. The best free zip program atm is 7zip. It will unpack any format

Vectracious
10th September 2009, 05:51 PM
IZArc FTMFW!!!!!

http://www.izarc.org/

gman
10th September 2009, 06:09 PM
I take what your saying and yeah, strictly speaking you're actually right. But Winrar is shareware and so defined by its creator Alexander L. Roshal...

Shareware is different to Retail or Consumer Software, which refers to commercial software available only with the purchase of a license or through retail purchase in boxed form, which may not be copied for others, use in the public domain.

Shareware and in this case Winrar are offered as a trial version usually for download with certain features disabled and these only become available after a license is purchased. Once the trial period has passed the program should, but in the case of Winrar does not, stop until a license is purchased.

If the software never forces you by ceasing to function to actually register or purchase a license, which Winrar does not, there is almost no possibility of enforceable IP rights by the owner. As such you can if you don't purchase a license or remove it after the 40 day trial there is little to prevent you retaining the use of the trial version with limited functionality...I will leave it it the individual as to whether their conscience gets the better of them.

As always, Caveat Emptor......

PO15KA
10th September 2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you gentlemen, i will test IZArc first, then 7zip. :)

poita
10th September 2009, 07:44 PM
i use winrar for everything, have had it loaded for like 2 yrs.

just have to click the little box to say not to register.

but yer have also used 7zip

AfterBurner
10th September 2009, 08:15 PM
+1 WinRAR...

7zip worx also.

Calibrated
10th September 2009, 09:27 PM
i use winrar for everything, have had it loaded for like 2 yrs.

just have to click the little box to say not to register.

but yer have also used 7zip
same. 1st thing i used to do on work PC's was download winrar

McTwistie
11th September 2009, 05:10 AM
I moved from ZIP/WINZIP to WINRAR many years ago, then about 2 years ago discovered 7-zip. I have found it to be superior for a number of reasons.

1. It's free (Full Open Source = No shareware messages).
2. It has a native x64 version (very fast).
3. It's explorer (Right Click) integration is excellent.
4. It works with pretty much everything.
5. Windows xp/vista/7 all love it
6. It's a very small install

WINrar does have a prettier graphic interface though, and maybe supports a few of the wierder archive formats that 7-zip does not.

Cheers :)

hazrd
11th September 2009, 08:53 AM
IZArc FTMFW!!!!!

http://www.izarc.org/

^^
this man speaketh the truth, havent used anything else thats easier

+1 FTMFW :D