PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 911 GT3 RS Revealed

poita
1st September 2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/story/porsche_911_gt3_rs_revealed

http://carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/porsche_911_gt3_rs_1_wide.jpg

http://carsguide.news.com.au/images/uploads/porsche_911_gt3_rs_4.jpg

Another sellout Porsche has just been revealed in Europe.

This time it's the 911 that everyone dreams about - the road rocket GT3 RS.

Only 20 cars will come to Australia and the order book is already filled, although things could change as Porsche Cars Australia is also getting ready to roll out the regular GT3 and the Turbo at the top end of the 911 lineup. The GT3 RS is going to have a pricetag in the $335,000 range but that has no deterred drivers who want the ultimate in hard-edged 911 motoring.

"We're holding 20 orders at the moment. With a bit of luck it might be better than that, if we can get some extra supplies," says Michael Winkler, managing director of Porsche Cars Australia. "We've got an interesting year coming up in 2010. We've got the Turbo, the GT3 and the GT3 RS. They are very special cars, but in some cases we will be talking to the same people."

Related Coverage
Porsche 911 Turbo: first lookPorsche 911 RS replica — 1973: buyers guidePorsche 911 3.2 — 1984-1989: buyers guideTest drive: Porsche 911 Carrera 2 STest drive: Porsche 911 C2S CabrioletPorsche 911s for sale
Porsche 911 specs
What's your Porsche 911 worth?
First pictures of the latest RS - a model that tracks back to 1973 - show a car which is more extreme than ever before with a power upgrade, bigger wheels and tauter gearing over both the outgoing RS and the cooking-model GT3. "It's a lot more hardcore. It is a car very much for the extreme enthusiast. We're talking about the guy who wants to go to the track. And, around the world, collectors who want something which is built in such low numbers."

The key to the RS deal is a 3.8-litre flat six with a romping 335 kiloWatts. That's up by 11 from the regular GT3 and a full 26 kiloWatts more than the previous-generation RS. The engine also has lighter parts inside to make it respond quicker and rev higher.

There are shorter gears in the six-speed manual and different differential ratio, which hurts top speed but boosts off-the-line acceleration and punch out of corners.

Porsche says the RS is 10 kilograms lighter than the standard GT3 and it is easily picked with a giant carbonfibre rear wing and flared guards to cover wider front and rear tracks. It sits lower to the road and there are extra aero parts in the nose and a titanium sports exhaust.

Mechanical changes to the RS run deep, from active drivetrain mounts - to resist twisting forces in corners - to a lightweight lithium-ion battery and 19-inch alloy wheels with 245x35 front tyres and 325x30 rear rubber on 12-inch wide rims.

Porsche's active suspension management is also standard, but with sports settings for extreme driving. It's the first time the system has been expressly tailored to the RS.

Winkler says the RS will come in the first quarter of next year, soon after the regular GT3 and Turbo. "The other two cars will land before Christmas, but we'll wait to release them in January," he says.

The sales target for the GT3 is around 80 cars and he is not making predictions on the Turbo. "I'm just trying to be very prudent because the market has been quite difficult. It is very important not to over-stock the market."

[OPCSRi]
1st September 2009, 10:02 PM
This is one YUMMY car. always loved the GT series Porsche. can't wait wait to see one parked outside a cafe in Chapel St.:p

poita
1st September 2009, 10:04 PM
pretty crazy, 19x12 rims on the back!

USC
1st September 2009, 11:42 PM
Red is now the new silver (which took over chrome) ;)

Ice
1st September 2009, 11:48 PM
bahh old news, haha ide have one......ide not dare drive the thing for risk of someone looking at it..... ;)

Wraith
2nd September 2009, 08:23 AM
Performance mister no doubt !!!

However aweful/ridiculous looking rear wing, even worse looking red graphics and wheels and trims (what the hell are they smoking over there at Porker HQ ??? must be some good shit) :lol: and a 335k price tag :shocked: no thanks for me...

Hopefully it comes in 'normal' colours...

DirtyHarry
2nd September 2009, 08:35 AM
looks like a car youd find driving around cabramatta thining it was cool with an oversized rear wing and matching red colour coding.
haha

Orion_996
2nd September 2009, 08:41 AM
while the colour scheme is pretty "weird" the wing is there for a reason, the RS is pretty much a race spec track day car...

hazrd
2nd September 2009, 08:50 AM
Hopefully it comes in 'normal' colours...

took the words right out of my head lol... looks good, wings a bit "look at me i can fly!!!!!" though :p

btm
2nd September 2009, 09:03 AM
not a fan of the red really...

Wraith
2nd September 2009, 09:15 AM
while the colour scheme is pretty "weird" the wing is there for a reason, the RS is pretty much a race spec track day car...

I think we all know the purpose served by the rear wing, but that dosn't take away the end look/image result it gives the car...

Also lots of other even better hi po cars out there that don't have or need such ridiculously large wings to make em work ;)

Fact is, despite being a track car registered for the rd. it'll never need the input of that rear wing for the road, hence why it's so gimmicky and just makes the car look ridiculous on the road, along with that stupid colour scheme, it'll fit right at home with the P plater hoon bridgades with their boy racer Wrx's etc. hanging around the place...don't think that's the type of image the demographic buying this kind of car want to be associated with, but that's exactly what Porker have made it look like IMHO...

TheOperator
2nd September 2009, 10:14 AM
Wraith i think you will find this is not going to be available in "Normal" colours, lots of wild colors like Yellow with black wells, Orange with black wells etc ;)

I know when Dad went to enquire about new Turbo recently they tried to sell him one of these, he told the salesman apparently "i'm not trying to impress the hate backwards brigade, so you can keep it" :D

Wraith
2nd September 2009, 03:07 PM
Wraith i think you will find this is not going to be available in "Normal" colours, lots of wild colors like Yellow with black wells, Orange with black wells etc ;)

I know when Dad went to enquire about new Turbo recently they tried to sell him one of these, he told the salesman apparently "i'm not trying to impress the hate backwards brigade, so you can keep it" :D

Hahahaha LOL there you go !!! :lol:

Exactly as I thought, the backward hat bridgade is exactly the type who would find this things looks attractive...

Seriously only available in that colour or even worse with yellow highlights LOL now I know they've lost the plot at Porker land - must be from all the kicks in the head they've copped over the last 18 months from Nissan with the new R35 and more recently from the VAG group successfully shrugging them off...and good on them too !!! now VW and Audi can go full steam ahead and produce their ranges without being curtailed or held back by Porker who are living in fear of being overtaken by them as Germany's best ;)

BTW have you got yourself that yummie aluminium silver MPS3 yet ?? :)

TheOperator
3rd September 2009, 09:19 AM
BTW have you got yourself that yummie aluminium silver MPS3 yet ?? :)

Waiting on it to arrive, hopefully in next week or so :D

However i did ask about a white one, waiting on answer ;)

Wraith
3rd September 2009, 09:37 AM
Waiting on it to arrive, hopefully in next week or so :D

However i did ask about a white one, waiting on answer ;)

I've done that too !!! ie, ask about the possibility of getting a white MPS3 - and sorry to say definitely NO !!! :(

Mazda will not do any orders outside what's available...even if you offered to pay any amount extra or order 100 of them, they simply will not do it...

I've spoken to both a dealership and Mazda head office about this and both replied with the above...

They have a customer feed back thing going when you purchase one of their vehicles and if they get alot of people suggesting they would've liked a certain vehicle colour, they might decide to bring that colour in on the next scheduled model update or midlife of the model run, (Mazda run models for around 4-5 years) so at best I'd say your looking at approx. 2 years away and that's ' if ' white is selected - I believe it will be and will probably replace the 'celestial blue' colour...

You can always trade up and get a new white one in a couple of years, or if the 3rd gen MPS3 ends up also being an excellent machine, just update to one of those in white :)

Me if I get one, I'll be more than happy with the aluminium silver, after checking out another SP25 recently in white and then seeing an aluminium silver MPS3 on the road just a couple of days ago here at work, it looked much better than the white SP25 :)

Ice
3rd September 2009, 09:46 AM
you could always take the wing off and those terrible decals on the side should go aswell, otherwise it looks ok with the red.

GodsKnight
3rd September 2009, 10:31 AM
want