PDA

View Full Version : RIP Euro built Astras for Australia

cdxi
31st August 2009, 02:10 PM
According to Go Auto (www.goauto.com.au (http://www.goauto.com.au)) and confirmed by Holden, the new Mk VI Astra range will not be imported in to Australia. And, there will be no more imports of the current AH range. In July, 369 Astras were sold.

However, the suggestion is that the Astra nameplate will resurface in 2010 on the new small hatch to be built by Holden in South Australia.

I don't think any of us are really surprised by this news.

SIMid
31st August 2009, 02:13 PM
They're "cruzing" all the way from here-on.

mania
31st August 2009, 02:20 PM
I really hope they don't call the Australian built Cruze an Astra...

cdxi
31st August 2009, 02:26 PM
Too many $$ invested in the name so far for an Aus built sedan no to be called Cruze.

The hatch, however, could be another story although I recall reading somewhere where the Holden honchos said that Cruze would be the name stuck on the bum of all Australian built Delta vehicles, hatch or sedan.

poita
31st August 2009, 06:36 PM
According to Go Auto (www.goauto.com.au (http://www.goauto.com.au)) and confirmed by Holden, the new Mk VI Astra range will not be imported in to Australia. And, there will be no more imports of the current AH range. In July, 369 Astras were sold.

However, the suggestion is that the Astra nameplate will resurface in 2010 on the new small hatch to be built by Holden in South Australia.

I don't think any of us are really surprised by this news.

all old news, and discussed here before

dieselhead
31st August 2009, 09:01 PM
Bye-bye Holden, VW here I come :) The Cruze is too old and too heavy for my liking. Anyone knows the weight of the damn thing?

mania
31st August 2009, 09:07 PM
Old? It's a brand new chassis, brand new car isn't it?

I'll agree on heavy but, 1522kg for the diesel :yikes:

1.8's about the same weight as an astra but, 1367kg.

Anyone else wondering the future of OA now that the only new Opel offered here is in the shape of a combo?

USC
31st August 2009, 09:08 PM
Bye-bye Holden, VW here I come :) The Cruze is too old and too heavy for my liking. Anyone knows the weight of the damn thing?

As discussed in a different thread, the CD cruze petrol weigh 1367kg. I would imagine the CDX will weigh even more. thats heavier than a mazda 3 SP25 Luxury.

MatsHolden
31st August 2009, 09:10 PM
Old? It's a brand new chassis, brand new car isn't it?

Anyone else wondering the future of OA now that the only new Opel offered here is in the shape of a combo?

Yeah, it is a brand new chassis (Delta II) and brand new car, only released this year world wide.

Wouldn't think it'd have too much of an impact on the future of OpelAus as there are a lot of car clubs around devoted to cars that are no longer available...

mania
31st August 2009, 09:12 PM
As discussed in a different thread, the CD cruze petrol weigh 1367kg. I would imagine the CDX will weigh even more. thats heavier than a mazda 3 SP25 Luxury.

Same as an astra but - 1365kg from memory. Shame, if we were all content driving around in 0 star safety cars you could knock 300kg off easily...

poita
31st August 2009, 09:15 PM

So whos gonna give the bad news to the guys on the Delorean forum?

Even if Aus no longer brings them here this forum will be fine.

And as I see it, there will be more people looking for help/info as Holden cleans there hands of anything Opel ;)

dieselhead
31st August 2009, 09:27 PM
I agree, the forum will be alive and well. Especially after Holden brings over the Insignia ;)

In regards to the Cruze now: anyone can enlighten me, what exactly is new about the 1.8l petrol drive train? The engine has been with us for eons now.

mania
31st August 2009, 09:44 PM
Not that long? It's the vvt one so 4 years or so? How long has the 2L turbo been with us :p

dieselhead
31st August 2009, 09:54 PM
Oh sorry, I forgot about the VVT, what a pinnacle of engineering that is... Let me tell you, 104 kW and 176 Nm in a 1,400 kg car is absolutely nothing to write home about. I still believe this is the same old engine, carried over from Astra G, plus some new ECU and, lets not forget, VVT. The Delta II chassis, how new is that? Any more advanced that what Opel uses for the new I? Don't think so...

Vectracious
31st August 2009, 10:35 PM
Oh sorry, I forgot about the VVT, what a pinnacle of engineering that is... Let me tell you, 104 kW and 176 Nm in a 1,400 kg car is absolutely nothing to write home about. I still believe this is the same old engine, carried over from Astra G, plus some new ECU and, lets not forget, VVT. The Delta II chassis, how new is that? Any more advanced that what Opel uses for the new I? Don't think so...

Delta II is brand new - Delta was introduced in 2003 I think. It's as new or prob even newer than the Epsilon II which is what the Insignia is based on - itself is a successor to the Epsilon platform which was what the Veccy C was built on.

And anyway, the new 1.4 turbo which will be in the Cruze next year will sort out the power issues with the 1.8.

mania
31st August 2009, 11:06 PM
The Delta 2 platform is the same platform the Astra Mk6 (and Volt) is based on IIRC. So probably means handling / comfort will be similar in the two..

1.4L direct injected turbo should spruce things up a bit more too. If it manages anything close to VW's bizarreo child should be alright..

kabel
31st August 2009, 11:56 PM
Oh well...no more VXR`s...now let`s see what HSV will do with a local small car,if anything ???

Wraith
1st September 2009, 08:52 AM

Yep, bye bye GMH and hello Mazda for me (again) or maybe VW in future if they bring in the Scirocco :)

Shall look forward to what GMH have in 3-5 years time, maybe the Insignia coupe will be around by then ???

As for the Cruze, yes the petrol is underpowered and very sluggish from take off and thirsty for a 1.8ltr (as I've already evidenced from a friend of mine with one now for almost a month) especially the auto...

I do hear however that the oiler is a very good drive by comparison, so if you can do without all the kit (as it comes equipped same as the base model) and can live with the ask price being the same as the top model CDX petrol, just shy of 30k (no thanks for me) then the oiler is the go...

glider
1st September 2009, 03:48 PM

opel tend to keep their engines for a while...

the Z20 for example has been carried over all the way back from the calibra, starting with the c20 version (block is almost identical, all they have done is improve the design)

cdxi
2nd September 2009, 10:23 AM
Astra is now gone from Holden's website........

poita
2nd September 2009, 06:05 PM
Astra is now gone from Holden's website........

welcome to last month

all this info has been discussed in other threads, its nothing new.

thread closed