PDA

View Full Version : Victoria - the fine state

AH08
28th August 2009, 12:40 PM
Bigger fines come in in November.
Using a mobile is now going to cost you 3 demerit points and $234.
Using an unmounted GPS, 0 demerit points and $234.
Illegal U turn, 2 points and $204.
Illegal overtaking, 3 points and $234.
P platers banned from using a mobile phone even with handsfree.

Oh , and for us bike riders...we haven't been forgotten......no pillion under the age of 8 will be allowed. I think this is a very sensible one.

mania
28th August 2009, 12:44 PM
There's a fine for unmounted GPS's? Hope WA doesn't have the same law - will have to find a way to mount my phone. Shame, as it fits perfectly on the dash under the windscreen without a mount obstructing my view.

sooty
28th August 2009, 12:45 PM
illegal overtaking? As in crossing double lines? :confused:

Wraith
28th August 2009, 01:19 PM
illegal overtaking? As in crossing double lines? :confused:

Yep, where it's not allowed from road line markings...

People who use City or East link need to watch out as well...I got caught not long ago with my Etag temporarlily suspended (which I was totally unaware of) and copped a $113 fine :mad: this is even though I've been using it right from the beginning (over 10 years now) and always paid my fees :mad3: I'm still disputing that one...good thing there's no demerit points with that one...

Here in Vic. it wont be long before there's a speed and or red light fixed camera at each and every single intersection across the state...we already have the most number of both fixed and mobile speed cameras compared to rest of Aust.

You definitely cannot afford to speed or do any other 'non legal' driving actions here in Vic.

Vectracious
28th August 2009, 01:24 PM
they should just get it over and done with and just fit every car with a GPS tracker and data recorder and be done with it.

For ****s sake this is a stupid bloody state sometimes and its to do with our even stupider labour government. John Brumby, the premier no one voted for - GTFO!

AH08
28th August 2009, 01:27 PM
they should just get it over and done with and just fit every car with a GPS tracker and data recorder and be done with it.

For ****s sake this is a stupid bloody state sometimes and its to do with our even stupider labour government. John Brumby, the premier no one voted for - GTFO!

Yeah, saw or TV awhile ago where the State Government have already been talking about doing exactly that.:mad:

ROCCO
28th August 2009, 02:48 PM
Get Kennet back in to power...the state was better then....

Vectracious
28th August 2009, 04:09 PM
get kennet back in to power...the state was better then....

+1

ChrisMaz
28th August 2009, 04:12 PM
P platers can't even use a hands free? :confused:

boorny88
28th August 2009, 04:15 PM
i feel sorry for the vics let hope WA dnt get lik this hay

MatsHolden
28th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Classic example of revenue raising is the fine for a non mounted GPS and NO DEMERIT POINTS!? I mean seriously.

GreyRex
28th August 2009, 04:52 PM
Classic example of revenue raising is the fine for a non mounted GPS and NO DEMERIT POINTS!? I mean seriously.

I'd love to see their technicalities when it comes to phones, with a GPS

"I see you were using your phone sir... that means fine and demerit points"

... "Ah, I was using the inbuilt GPS... not the phone"

In that case, oh... ah... wait a minute

Fun fun fun times :D:D:D

Calibrated
28th August 2009, 11:48 PM
bugger living in VIC.

HappySlapper82
28th August 2009, 11:54 PM
Bigger fines come in in November.
Using a mobile is now going to cost you 3 demerit points and $234.
Using an unmounted GPS, 0 demerit points and $234.
Illegal U turn, 2 points and $204.
Illegal overtaking, 3 points and $234.
P platers banned from using a mobile phone even with handsfree.

Oh , and for us bike riders...we haven't been forgotten......no pillion under the age of 8 will be allowed. I think this is a very sensible one.

Yeah that is already implemented in SA

Yep, where it's not allowed from road line markings...

People who use City or East link need to watch out as well...I got caught not long ago with my Etag temporarlily suspended (which I was totally unaware of) and copped a $113 fine :mad: this is even though I've been using it right from the beginning (over 10 years now) and always paid my fees :mad3: I'm still disputing that one...good thing there's no demerit points with that one...

Here in Vic. it wont be long before there's a speed and or red light fixed camera at each and every single intersection across the state...we already have the most number of both fixed and mobile speed cameras compared to rest of Aust.

You definitely cannot afford to speed or do any other 'non legal' driving actions here in Vic.

Red light cameras in SA have also been equipped to ping us for unregistered vehicles aswell

gmonkey
28th August 2009, 11:55 PM

Red light cameras in SA have also been equipped to ping us for unregistered vehicles aswell
how??

HappySlapper82
28th August 2009, 11:57 PM
how??

Not sure mate but there was a massive radio campaign about it months ago, telling us to watch out, bla bla, usual scare campaign

hazrd
28th August 2009, 11:58 PM
too bad if u have no plate on the car ;)

(not that i condone that sort of behavior)

AH08
29th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Just north of Bendigo they are trialing a speed and red light camera at a railway crossing (which is 80kph zone out in the middle of nowhere) to catch drivers speeding up to beat the trains......the penalty is quite steep 4 points for not stopping on the red lights AND 4 for speeding if you went over the speed limit. 8 points in one hit.:yikes:

AH08
29th August 2009, 10:33 AM
Not sure mate but there was a massive radio campaign about it months ago, telling us to watch out, bla bla, usual scare campaign

They did that here too, apparently the camera can recognize the number plate and check to see if it is registered or not.

2002_XC
29th August 2009, 10:55 AM
Just north of Bendigo they are trialing a speed and red light camera at a railway crossing (which is 80kph zone out in the middle of nowhere) to catch drivers speeding up to beat the trains......the penalty is quite steep 4 points for not stopping on the red lights AND 4 for speeding if you went over the speed limit. 8 points in one hit.:yikes:

At the same time, its for a good reason. Even after the Kerang rail crossing accident, motorists are still playing chicken with trains. If it makes motorists stop and think about what they are doing at crossings, it can't be a bad thing *runs and hides from everyone*

hazrd
29th August 2009, 11:09 AM
no need to hide from that Kylie lol, its a good thing.... i know ppl who had relatives on that Kerang train and it affected me just as much as them!

Im all for it if they wanna implement something like that all over the place, if it doesnt slow someone down, itll take their privileges away from them! (leaving only the really stupid people who drive without a licence)

2002_XC
29th August 2009, 11:14 AM
well exactly, and if you look at it from the other side, if motorists stopped speeding at camera intersections, they will remove the cameras. they cost the state 000 000 of dollars to put them up, if they dont make money from them, they'll stop putting them up!!

Wraith
31st August 2009, 01:48 PM

Well, here in Vic. they don't need to do that - they're already one step ahead...

If you don't renew your reg. your licence is suspended, or something to that end can't remember it exactly...

Saw/read an overhead banner on the Tulla freeway about a month ago which advertised the above...

EL BURITO
31st August 2009, 01:58 PM
Well, here in Vic. they don't need to do that - they're already one step ahead...

If you don't renew your reg. your licence is suspended, or something to that end can't remember it exactly...

Saw/read an overhead banner on the Tulla freeway about a month ago which advertised the above...
that is stupid, what if I was only using a work car, we have 3mths to renew if its not on the rd .

2002_XC
31st August 2009, 03:00 PM
that is stupid, what if I was only using a work car, we have 3mths to renew if its not on the rd .

It's is if you have any outstanding fines and warrants. It's not for unregistered vehicles.... unless you have a fine for not paying your rego, and haven't paid it, which would turn into an infringement court warrant..... blah blah blah. Here's the Media release about it

Registration Non-Renewal Scheme Continues

03 Aug 2009
The trial Registration Non-Renewal Scheme is set to continue, preventing fine defaulters with infringement warrants from renewing their vehicle registrations.
Deputy Premier and Attorney-General Rob Hulls said the scheme has proved effective to date and will remain in place.
Over the scheme’s six-month trial period 80 per cent of people have settled their fines.
“Altogether, four out of five people found a way to settle their warrants and renew their registration without any further action required,” Mr Hulls said.

“This trial encourages Victorians to fulfil their obligations and pay outstanding fines so they don’t wind up paying more.”
The sanction applies to people with one outstanding infringement warrant for vehicle-related infringements such as parking offences, speeding, running a red light and tolling offences.
Those worried they may be at risk of having their rego renewal blocked have options to prevent this course of action.
“There are measures in place to help people who are having difficulty paying fines – they can ask for extra time or apply for a payment plan to help manage their finances,” Mr Hulls said.

For more information or to pay your fines visit the Fines fairer and firmer website (http://www.fines.vic.gov.au/) or call Civic Compliance on 1300 396 851.

Nurb608
31st August 2009, 03:01 PM

I thought it was you couldn't renew your rego if you had outstanding fines?

edit: Great, beaten by the missus by 1 minute :p

2002_XC
31st August 2009, 03:02 PM
I thought it was you couldn't renew your rego if you had outstanding fines?

edit: Great, beaten by the missus by 1 minute :p

:cool: