PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 54% Failure Rate!!

poita
25th August 2009, 05:43 PM
this has got to upset a few people!!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-360-54-2-percent-failure-rate-report

Admittedly, when we saw Game Informer's survey that pegged Xbox 360's failure rate at 54.2 percent, we were thinking that was a bit steep of a number, possibly bumped up a few digits from some possible sampling errors. So when we were gearing up to read Microsoft's statement responding to the data, we fully expected some harsh rebuttal of the number. Turns out we got disappointed. A spokesperson for Redmond pointed to its superior entertainment value, its "best warranty in the industry" and its "constantly improving design, manufacture, and performance." At no point is there a dispute or even direct reference to the findings, which is really something that could've helped public perception on a nagging issue. How about taking a page from Fujifilm, eh Microsoft?

BEK-46P
25th August 2009, 05:49 PM
Blonde question but failure rate at what??

In any case, it's time like this I'm proud to have always been a Sony man.

mania
25th August 2009, 05:55 PM
Red ring of death :p. I'm surprised it's not higher - everyone I know has had one on their console at some point.

Still, few complain because their warranty is so good - they pay all postage and get it back to you in under a week, no fuss, even if well out of the 3 year warranty period... made me regret buying HNormans useless extended warranty.

sooty
25th August 2009, 06:00 PM
:lol:
that is all:p

ChrisMaz
25th August 2009, 06:00 PM
The failure rate was so high because the first Gen 360's had such a high over heating rate. The newer generations have very few problems. The odd few do still get RROD but nothing like ones of old. And as another report said. 360 gets played 5 times more than PS3 and Wii.

*Epic 360 fan boy response*

Calibrated
25th August 2009, 06:09 PM
i've had my elite for 20 months now. never had a single problem

ROCCO
25th August 2009, 06:21 PM
bah consoles suck....get a mans toy....a PC and before you start flamming I don't see a XBOX or a Playstation thats able to run a PC game yet...i have seen however a PC that can play XBOX and Playstation games using an emulator....suck it ladies hahahaha

mania
25th August 2009, 06:26 PM
For the first year of a consoles life they > PCs for gaming. Seriously. Exception perhaps for the PS3 which was a bit late to this generation :p.

As they age though I agree, PCs take back over provided you keep on upgrading them / accept having to run games at lower resolutions.

poita
25th August 2009, 06:30 PM
console - buy game, go home, put in disc, play game

pc - buy game, realise your video card is powerful enough to run it, buy new video card, power supply isnt big enough for system, buy new poer supply, install game, ram and cpu too small, buy more ram upgrade cpu.

your $90 game has just cost you $1000.

hence why console is better for gaming :p

ChrisMaz
25th August 2009, 07:23 PM

I went two and a half years with my First Gen 360 before it died.

HappySlapper82
25th August 2009, 08:11 PM
The failure rate was so high because the first Gen 360's had such a high over heating rate. The newer generations have very few problems. The odd few do still get RROD but nothing like ones of old. And as another report said. 360 gets played 5 times more than PS3 and Wii.

Thats because 360's were half the price. Wii's are poo. You get what you pay for.

gmonkey
25th August 2009, 08:25 PM
myn died 3 times in 2 years :p

ChrisMaz
25th August 2009, 09:14 PM
myn died 3 times in 2 years :p

I'll give my usual spiel. "I BET YOU HAD IT STACKED BETWEEN YOUR DVD PLAYER AND YOUR PS3 WITH NO VENTILATION"

The end.

*Yes I know i'm wrong* ;)

ASTRAY
25th August 2009, 09:27 PM

you get longer lasting satisfaction out of playing ps3 :p
and i simply refuse to play with urine :D

pete about a year or 2 ago i done a count of all xboxs for sale on ebay
i broke them up into working and not working and came up with a similar percentage result.

sony ps3, 2xps2, 3xps1, tv, cd, amp, vid, dvd, 3xpsp, digi cam x 2 , car amp.... yep sony fanboy here :cornut:
neither have skipped a beat.

mania
25th August 2009, 09:43 PM
Who buys a console for stability... live life on the edge a little :cornut:

:o

ASTRAY
25th August 2009, 09:46 PM
This is to be expected. For the people that love Microsoft products, anything less than 100% failure rates are perfectly acceptable. It's good there are devoted sheeple to keep Microsoft in business on a money losing platform. I wondered where all the masochists were. They're buying Microsoft products. They get smacked around and continue to ask for more smacks. Please, Steve Ballmer, may I have another. I'm on my third XBox after the first two failed and I'm lovin' it. Hehe.

carab
25th August 2009, 09:51 PM
:prrr: sony.... lol i wont flame but in my experiances, excluding the old trusty trinitron TV which lasted 13+ years, all their new stuff is below par. BUT for another thread.

360's were all highly prone to overheating (as most know), there is a fix. Requires pulling the whole thing apart and reattaching heatsinks with proper mounting as the stock "X-clamps" are..... well s***. They come appart, overheat, ring of death.

Fixed a mates one, works a beute! :cornut:

mania
25th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Those sheeple are Microsoft's stockholders - not the consumers. The consumers have all got 1.54 consoles for the price of 1, and a platform with more money invested in it then they spend on it.

In this case, the consumers win :). At least until Microsoft give up at taking over the market..

ROCCO
25th August 2009, 09:56 PM
console - buy game, go home, put in disc, play game

pc - buy game, realise your video card is powerful enough to run it, buy new video card, power supply isnt big enough for system, buy new poer supply, install game, ram and cpu too small, buy more ram upgrade cpu.

your $90 game has just cost you $1000.

hence why console is better for gaming :p

Your joking right....someone who has custom build his or hers machine should know whether or not a game will work prior to buying and wouldn't have that problem

poita
25th August 2009, 10:04 PM
sorry forgot this rocco :sarc:

but u get what i mean right?

ChrisMaz
25th August 2009, 10:08 PM
Those sheeple are Microsoft's stockholders - not the consumers. The consumers have all got 1.54 consoles for the price of 1, and a platform with more money invested in it then they spend on it.

In this case, the consumers win :). At least until Microsoft give up at taking over the market..

I have to agree. I read an article once where Microsoft stated that even with the 360. All xbox development (Original and 360) will leave them at a loss for years to come.

ASTRAY
25th August 2009, 11:16 PM
I have to agree. I read an article once where Microsoft stated that even with the 360. All xbox development (Original and 360) will leave them at a loss for years to come.
unsure of wii and previous nintendo consoles...
but all sony consoles have ben sold for less than manufacture price. i dont mean r+r + manufacture divided by console quantity.
i mean sony sell the console cheaper than what it costs them to make the console.
eventually the consoles become money makers too, but that is years and years down the track.
the big money for sony/microshit/nuntendo is in software. thats how they can sell their consoles cheaper than cost.

ROCCO
25th August 2009, 11:22 PM
sorry forgot this rocco :sarc:

but u get what i mean right?

Of course....i was trolling...:D

gman
25th August 2009, 11:31 PM
My XBOX360 is 2yrs old (Halo edition) and never had a serious issue...It gets the most use of all my machines....

My PS3 is 2yrs old and never had an issue but then again it also basically never gets used except for playing Blurays...I'm still waiting for GT!!!!!!!!! :inncazato:

My PC is a "reasonably" serious gaming machine (:sarc:) and is mainly used for transcoding MKV files into MP4s to play on my XBOX360....

My laptop is purely for surfing and other web based activities...

I love my XBOX360 and it gets the most gaming use by a LONG way....

ASTRAY
25th August 2009, 11:40 PM
My XBOX360 is 2yrs old (Halo edition) and never had a serious issue...It gets the most use of all my machines....

My PS3 is 2yrs old and never had an issue but then again it also basically never gets used except for playing Blurays...I'm still waiting for GT!!!!!!!!! :inncazato: this year mate. sept i think.

My PC is a "reasonably" serious gaming machine (:sarc:) and is mainly used for transcoding MKV files into MP4s to play on my XBOX360....

My laptop is purely for surfing and other web based activities...pron :p

I love my XBOX360 and it gets the most gaming use by a LONG way....

MAD-16V
26th August 2009, 12:50 AM
My 1st xbox 360 died after 3 months of heavy usage ( Gears of war was just released ) , Had it repaired ( took 10 days ) - lasted for 18 months and then totally died.

I have an elite console now and it hasnt skipped a beat.

My PS3 is still solid ( original 60gb ) hasnt had a single problem , And I dont expect it to either.

DEE-80Y
26th August 2009, 08:26 AM
I still have a 1st gen 360 and only once had the RRoD which was out of warranty and still fixed within a week and I'm still playing it more than anything else.

I don't have a PS3 and will only buy one for BluRay. Each to their own, I used to have a PS2 and then got an Xbox for xmas and haven't touched a PS since.

Considering I play CoD4 online most of the time I am happy with my 360 and the amount of people to play against online.

I think I read somewhere that xbox has a bigger online community (correct me if I'm wrong), which is what I prefer.

When my 360 does die for the last time I will go back out and buy another one, sorry Sony you haven't won me over in the consols war or even the entertainment catagory.

ROCCO
26th August 2009, 12:38 PM
or you could go out spend the money on a decent pc and upgrade the drive to blu ray....in my case I have a HTPC with a blu ray drive...shits over anything sony or MS through at it....

mania
26th August 2009, 12:53 PM
Except for spontaneous multiplayer action - something pc's just can't touch. Most of my gaming is with friends or family, where consoles dominate. Few mates come around, family visits, etc - just pop in one of those games anyone can pick up, ie castle crashers/forza etc and everyone picks up a controller and has a blast. Computers aren't even in the ballgame for that. I'm guessing you've just never owned a console :p

Signed: an ex-pc gamer.

gman
26th August 2009, 01:10 PM
My PC has a Bluray drive and a HDDVD/Bluray drive...The PS3 is far superior for viewing a movie and streaming media...Tried it with the PC to my TV and quality was good, but the PS3 is better, easy and a PnP solution....

For games, I still prefer the XBOX360..Consoles are easy, simple and they work. The XBOX seems to have a greater variety of games (here in HK anyway) and for online play a console is far more stable/easy to setup than a PC connection. I tried playing online games with friends in oz via PC. We now use XBOX Live and COD4. Much more stable and easier to setup with no firewall, lost packet, punkbuster, version issues....Simple PnP...

As another very serious ex-PC gamer, I felt consoles are a bit like the "Cult of iPhone" for PC gamers. You just don't want to convert. But they just work... :)

MAD-16V
26th August 2009, 04:34 PM
If you are a gamer you should own a fast pc and the leading consoles , if you chose one over the other and constantly compare whats faster/better you are a fanboy.

Fact.

hazrd
26th August 2009, 04:36 PM
amen to that :D

poita
26th August 2009, 05:39 PM
If you are a gamer you should own a fast pc and the leading consoles , if you chose one over the other and constantly compare whats faster/better you are a fanboy.

Fact.

do my 386 and nes count?

ChrisMaz
26th August 2009, 05:42 PM
NES counts for sure. :cornut:

MAD-16V
26th August 2009, 05:47 PM
do my 386 and nes count?

Those systems are valid :)

ChrisMaz
26th August 2009, 06:10 PM
N64 takes the cake though. Goldeneye FTW

hazrd
26th August 2009, 06:21 PM
ohh goldeneye is awesome :cornut:

i remember taking my N64 to a mates place to play 4p battle on their MASSIVE 80cm tv :p

gman
26th August 2009, 06:58 PM

Fact.

So I have:

Fast PC
XBOX360
PS3
Wii

Where do I fit??? ;)

gman
26th August 2009, 06:59 PM
ohh goldeneye is awesome :cornut:

i remember taking my N64 to a mates place to play 4p battle on their MASSIVE 80cm tv :p

Goldeneye...

Loved the 2 player deathmatch and getting the Golden gun...One Shot kills...Then you could really boast:

:l33t:

poita
26th August 2009, 07:01 PM
So I have:

Fast PC
XBOX360
PS3
Wii
PS2
NES
N64 (with memory expander thingy)

Where do I fit??? ;)

sooty
26th August 2009, 07:07 PM
I have an Atari 2600 with frogger, and breakout + breakout remotes amongst other games...
:l33t::p

ASTRAY
26th August 2009, 07:52 PM
was going to post pics of all my stuff but ruth is being a sour bitch. "i dont want photos of all my stuff on there" fkn sook!

hazrd
27th August 2009, 11:12 AM
thats why u dont ask... u just do it :p

ROCCO
27th August 2009, 12:14 PM
LOL....this thread is beginng to suck...basically with your XBOX 360s yur trying to make them a PC by running them as a media centre or having the ablility to set them up as an extender...lol...consoles blow always have and always will...FANBOI OR NO FANBOI...fact is fact...deal with it

Kudrow
28th August 2009, 08:22 PM

Touch wood.

Kudrow
28th August 2009, 08:22 PM
I believe the first problems were also caused by some dry joints and poor solder being used on the internal components.

ChrisMaz
28th August 2009, 08:32 PM
I believe the first problems were also caused by some dry joints and poor solder being used on the internal components.

Correcto. Hence why the old over heating it after RROD made it work for about a week longer.

Kudrow
28th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Correcto. Hence why the old over heating it after RROD made it work for about a week longer.

MS does offer an extra 3 year warranty on RROD affected units however.

ChrisMaz
28th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeap. Mine died a month before it was out of the warranty. Mates died for the 3rd time outside of warranty :p

glider
28th August 2009, 08:38 PM
LOL....this thread is beginng to suck...basically with your XBOX 360s yur trying to make them a PC by running them as a media centre or having the ablility to set them up as an extender...lol...consoles blow always have and always will...FANBOI OR NO FANBOI...fact is fact...deal with it

love how everyone has ignored this :p

my 360 had the rrod on the friday before the halo3 release.. was not happy... was sent away and fixed as they do and have had no issues with it since

poita
28th August 2009, 08:40 PM
I have to give it to M$ though, they have accepted there is a problem and are fixing the consoles.

Good to see a major corp back up thre products, as dodgy as they are.

Kudrow
28th August 2009, 09:02 PM
I have to give it to M$ though, they have accepted there is a problem and are fixing the consoles.

Good to see a major corp back up thre products, as dodgy as they are.

It cost them millions to do it. I read it somewhere and can't find it. Only small pocket change to them though.

ASTRAY
30th August 2009, 06:21 PM
It cost them millions to do it. I read it somewhere and can't find it. Only small pocket change to them though.
yeah well they kind of have to.
back up their products, or lose severe amounts of customers

on alot of other sites people always compare ms "yeah sure we will repair/replace your xbox", to sonys "sorry its out of warranty etc"

every product has its cut of faulty units, whether its a tv or a computer.
id say almost all of the time every company tries to worm its way out of replacing etc if the warranty is over.

but a 54% failure rate is huge and could potentially see the death of that product/arm of that company. if not the entire company.

im just guessing here, but id say if microsoft didnt take on their repair/replace/long warranty scheme, it would have been the death of xbox and any other console ms bring out in the future, and would also see large drops in sales of all other ms products including their os.

so in a way, they really had no choice.
same would apply for any other company.