PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Mrs T
16th September 2004, 02:25 PM
Well was driving along a very well maintained local road :bang: on my way home on Tuesday night when i hit a pothole as pictured below.

The dimension was 620mm wide x 1070mm long x 105mm deep.

Major not happy jan, i didnt see it at all as the sun was in my eyes and it was just over a small crest i was travelling at between 40-45km/h, It blew my tyre instantly and damaged rim.

I have made a claim to my local council, has anyone had any experience with this before.

Dee
16th September 2004, 02:29 PM
HOLY FARK THAT IS A MASSIVE POT HOLE!!!!!!!!!

no i cant say i have had any troubles with them... qld roads arent that bad....

The Sentinel
16th September 2004, 02:38 PM
FARK.. that's not a pot-hole.. that's a crater.

If that thing was on the moon NASA would have given it a name!!!

I hope you can get $$$ out of the council.....

wishbone
16th September 2004, 02:59 PM
damn you should be able to get money outta the council no worries i reckon..
thats a big hole there.. never seen a pothole that big

opel_calibra
16th September 2004, 03:09 PM
my dad fell off his bike doing 100km/h because of a large pothole.. still waiting on a payout from the rta.. worst part is they filled the potholes within 4 hours of him coming off the bike.. dont hold your breath

OPC
16th September 2004, 03:38 PM
shheeesshh glen thats a faaarker sorry to hear it mate...

imagine what kinda damage a biker would get if they flew into that

Mrs T
16th September 2004, 04:06 PM
well upon picking up my car they have now told me that my wheel is buckled. This is going to cost me over $600.00! But i am starting to get the runaround by council now. :bang: Ahh i thought i would get rid of murphys law when i married and lost the name but looks like i didnt :bang:

Lj its peta not glenn :cry:

With this money i could have got powerchip :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anonymous
16th September 2004, 04:16 PM
man this is fuked up totally darn council yea i wouldnt count on them to pay out either man its just one of those things i guess.... :screwy: :cry: :bang:

GOZOFF
16th September 2004, 04:18 PM
Yeh take heaps of photo's of the pot whole and the surrounding area as proof that it was in that area cause when a claim is made the council sends there maintance squad to fill it up asap so they can say your full of shit basterds they are :evil: oh and have dates on it too. sorry to hear about it Peta hope you have a smooth claim and be remburst for whats rightfully not your fault.

dazza015
16th September 2004, 04:22 PM
I know this is a little of topic, but stay with me...

A couple of months ago, someone stole our wheelie bin from the footpath on bin day...no big problem we thought...rang the council only to be told bins are not replaced free etc etc we would have to pay!!!!

Long story short we ended the conversation with the customer service rep, and called the local counciller direct! Within a week we had a brand new bin free of charge.

Maybe you could try the same and see if you get a result that way

blackSRi
16th September 2004, 04:35 PM
Man I new you lot had a lot of hail in Sydney the other week, but dang....

If you have a GPS, whack the unit in the pic with the co-ordinates showing...

Mrs T
16th September 2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah well it happened about 5.30pm tuesday so when i got home the council was shut, i went down at about 8.00am and took photos then come home rang the council and reported it. I got the guys name i spoke to and everything.

The hole wasnt fixed until today, I took lots of photos (7 in total) and dropped a letter into the council but the photos didnt have a date on it i didnt think about it damn.

Thanks guys i really hope i can get my money back too. But i will just have to see what happens, i have spoken to a few people some say they have heard that they have and some they havent.

Well thats the thing as well we had a little rain and a little hail but that was over two weeks ago now, our area hasnt had anything that substantial

Anonymous
16th September 2004, 04:44 PM
you can also show recipets which would have dates on quotes for your wheel aswell i guess?

imad4u
16th September 2004, 05:40 PM
that pothole looks like the new pothole near coke in wentworthville... am i correct ? :|

macca
16th September 2004, 05:46 PM
Feck me

thats a huge one hehe

this happened to me in the UK the fukers never did pay me back the money tossers

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dregger
16th September 2004, 05:55 PM
good luck in getting your money back.....

but working in the insurance industry i kinda know what happens with councils.....and they wont pay.

They only way that they would have to pay is if they were aware about the pothole and failed to repair it within a reasonable period of time. As such this would make them responsable for the damage caused to your car due to negligence.

You would have to prove this, and trust me....you wont be able to get this proof even if it does exist.

You will only get your money if you prove negligence by the council.

same thing with tree branches falling onto cars!

sorry to bring the bad news. :(

macca
16th September 2004, 05:59 PM
ah that was it

they said to me in the UK

We have to know about it so they can blag it and say pfft we never saw it

biggest joke

we pay tolls and taxes so sort it out mofos

Mr T
16th September 2004, 06:37 PM
that pothole looks like the new pothole near coke in wentworthville... am i correct ? :|

No its the one at the end of Durham St at Oxley Park.

Its about 150 meters from the Blacktown/Penrith Council Border, I thought that we would end up in a "no its the other councils road" battle, but Penrith have admitted that they own that road.

I'm F#$%in' p!$sed, I pay $900 per year in Land rates, $243 per year in Car Rego, $90 every 3 years for licence and average 3 fines per year @ about 120 each = $1533 per year in Taxes that are suposed to be contributing to infratructure.

Then between peta and I, we pay over $20,000 in income Tax and about $4,000 in GST every year, and these tossers are incapable of providing a safe journey home for us so that we can go to work tomorrow and generate more Tax.....

.....oh....I have a solution... :idea: ... lets reduce the speed limit to make up for the traffic authorities incompetencies....

....oh hang on that road is already a 50 Km/h Zone (straight road, no houses - just horse adjistments, no street lights), lucky Peta was only doing 40 cause it was peak hour and the sun was in her eyes.

journo
16th September 2004, 06:55 PM
You may or may not luck out on this one.

Proof helps...
Generally the council CEO can approve a claim of upto $1000 and the council must decide using his advice for higher amounts.
THe figures can change council by council.

If you look to the Ulysses club... you will find some of their members crashed their bikes after hitting gravel on a corner.
The gravel had been put there by the council. (The gravel is supposed to get crushed into the bitumen by cars but bike tend to fall over when they hit it).
Despite all evidence the council told the rider to go get F.....d
The club had a court order enacted which impounded the road plant owned by the council.
Expensive way to prove a point but council coughed up.
This happened some years ago.

Good luck and if they say no send them a bill, one for every meeting they hold, addressed to the Council as correspondence in.
That way it has to be tabled.
The other option is to nominate council as a defendant in a small claims suit... no lawyers allowed.

Degen-Astra
16th September 2004, 06:56 PM
Good move with taking the picture straight away. Thats what a lot of people fail to do when they are trying to file claims against the council i work for. Also make sure you take pictures of the rim itself. As sometimes, dependent on the Risk Officer / Public Liabilty officer at the council, they may ask for proof.

The council will (in most cases) also have records of when you reported the hole and when it was attended to by the contractors/road works team.

Which council was it, as I may be able to check if they have a system which records that info and so on.
Do get the mayors contact details as well and explain your plight to him/her, if you live in that council area call your local councillor as well. Make them aware of the case.
Gentle pesistance usually works wonders.

If you need any more advice I can check with my co-workers in our risk management area about the issue.

Good luck. :)

Mrs T
17th September 2004, 08:53 AM
you can also show recipets which would have dates on quotes for your wheel aswell i guess?

I have supplied council with quotations and an invoice which was dated the 15th and 16th so i am glad that i attended to it straight away.

Which council was it

It was Penrith City Council NSW, I though it was best to attend to the issue as soon as possible so it would be harder for them to dispute. I appreciate your help i was going to give them a couple of days to get back to me and then contact the mayor but i might just ring up and try an make an appointment with him to make him aware of it.

And if all else fails i will take journos advice and send a bill every meeting.

I would like to give everyone a big thankyou for the advise and i guess thats what being a part of opelaus is about. Thankyou anyway :D

I will keep you guys informed about how things go and degen i will keep in touch and i may need you assistance thankyou for the offer

NUTTTR
17th September 2004, 08:26 PM
**** me!!!! now THAT'S a pothole!!!! Damn...... hope ya get the money back!

Jackson
21st September 2004, 11:19 AM
good luck, i wouldn't hold your breath, but you might be lucky !

corsaboy
21st September 2004, 01:00 PM
Just to be on the safe side onenutsmissus, I know you have said that you weren't travelling very fast when you hit that very nasty pothole, (My Corsa would've fasllen in and not been able to come out!) ....if it damged the rim pretty bad, (this is just a thought!) get your mechanic to check out the ball-joint coressponding to the damage tyre. Coz When I had rims on mine I hit a kerb, didn't do any damage to the wheel, but a month later, without warning my ball joint broke...I was so lucky it was at night and no one was on Comenarra Parkway, and lucky to drive it around the corner. I can only pray that this experience doesn't happen to anyone here! Believe me it's not fun. Better to be safe than sorry.

my 2c

Jackson
21st September 2004, 02:05 PM
yer that's good, get them to check everything !!

Mrs T
21st September 2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks corsa boy when i took it down to the tyre shop they had a good look but ill ask them to double check it when i pick my wheel up on friday. I was very concerned about the struts and so forth. :)

SSS_Hoon
20th October 2004, 04:47 PM
you ppl dun know potholes, drive to work everyday up and down bloody walgrove road now that is potholes for ya.its like playing pinball with your car your all over the road dodgeing them.

SSS_Hoon

MaximusSmurf
20th October 2004, 09:08 PM
thats no good bangin your wheel up like that. sorry u poor bugger. good luck with gettin some money off those stingy council bastards.

ALSO my girlfriend REALLY wants to know if your cars really pink?
Thanks.

Anonymous
20th October 2004, 09:14 PM
you ppl dun know potholes, drive to work everyday up and down bloody walgrove road now that is potholes for ya.its like playing pinball with your car your all over the road dodgeing them.

SSS_Hoon

90% of the stone chips on my car are from driving down wallgrove everyday :evil:

or when its raining sitting behind a truck and u get all the crap off the road infront of the tip..... my car wasnt white anymore :(

Nem
21st October 2004, 11:09 AM
Bah! Their country roads are the worst in Australia. Guess thats why they have some of the cheapest fuel in Australia too. You leave the NT and go to Qld and the road goes from a nice two way well maintained strip of bitumen to a single lane dirt shouldered pot hole inflicted excuse for a highway.

Dee
21st October 2004, 11:15 AM
Bah! Their country roads are the worst in Australia. Guess thats why they have some of the cheapest fuel in Australia too. You leave the NT and go to Qld and the road goes from a nice two way well maintained strip of bitumen to a single lane dirt shouldered pot hole inflicted excuse for a highway.

ok
no i cant say i have had any troubles with them... Brisbane roads arent that bad....

Nem
21st October 2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah I must say Brisbane roads are good :)

Thats a pot hole! I rekon they could loose an excavator in that. :shock:

SSS_Hoon
21st October 2004, 05:12 PM

SSS_Hoon

90% of the stone chips on my car are from driving down wallgrove everyday :evil:

or when its raining sitting behind a truck and u get all the crap off the road infront of the tip..... my car wasnt white anymore :(

yeah same here with the stone chips, i only had one on the front of my car now there are many, bloody trucks especially the cement mixers are the worst.

my car is red except when its raining from walgrove road it turns white.

SSS_Hoon

CAL.16V
22nd October 2004, 02:27 PM
on a similair subject,

i went and looked at a crx a while ago with a mate to buy and it had a mugen kit and rims and might even have been lowered a bit but he said he was driving and hit a massive pothole and the front bar came loose and smashed chunks out of it...

he said he reported it to the council and they ended up paying for it to get fixed...

so their may be hope