PDA

View Full Version : WD TV HD Media Player

SSS_Hoon
19th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Just wondering does anyone have one of these, and what there thoughts on it are.

reason being i have some HD DivX files that wont play on my panasonic DVR as the res is too big for it. and dont really like watching it on the CRT monitor.

And hooking up the laptop to the tv is just too much time and effort.

Also is there any others out there that i should look at aswell.

SSS_Hoon

gman
19th August 2009, 11:44 AM
I have the Western Digital HDTV Media Player (small black cube-ish looking thing). Its great and I love it. Pic and sound is great.

Can be a little slow to load up sometimes when you connect a large drive via USB. It also seems to revert to the optical digital out for DTS rather than the HDMI for some reason so if the files have DTS then you'll need to use an external decoder/amp etc with an optical input.

Also, don't put anything on top of it, the little thing get pretty hot too...

SSS_Hoon
19th August 2009, 04:22 PM
how big of a HDD will it support?

its says on the website that a external audio device is requied for some sound.

so does that mean i can hook up a HDMI cable to my tv then a optical audio cable to my surround sound system?

Is there away around it so u dont have to do that at all have u found yet?

how much did u pay for yours and where was it from.

SSS_Hoon

gman
19th August 2009, 05:19 PM
how big of a HDD will it support?

its says on the website that a external audio device is requied for some sound.

so does that mean i can hook up a HDMI cable to my tv then a optical audio cable to my surround sound system?

Is there away around it so u dont have to do that at all have u found yet?

how much did u pay for yours and where was it from.

SSS_Hoon

As big as you hook up to it..It can read my 1Tb drive, eventually. It puts a file on the drive after the initial read which seems to be some sort of directory type file...
yes..I have HDMI to my TV and an optical feed to a Yamaha signal processor/amp with B&W speakers
Nope...If the file has DTS then it goes straight to the digital output, you can;t stop it, I tried everything.
Mine was v.cheap (just under AUS$100 IIRC)
I bought mine in HK at the Computer market here which is just down the road from where I live :) ...

SSS_Hoon
20th August 2009, 07:28 AM
sweet thanx for that gman.

now to find one i fairly sure JB HIFI had one for $160 i think it was. Then to convince the wife that we need it lol.

SSS_Hoon

gman
20th August 2009, 10:42 AM
No prob mate...Just tell her you really need it so you can send quality time with her watching her movies and family videos... ;)