PDA

View Full Version : New Playstation 3!!

poita
19th August 2009, 11:01 AM
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/21/0,1425,sz=1&i=211575,00.jpg

- more -
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NEW SLIMMER AND LIGHTER PLAYSTATION®3
TO HIT WORLDWIDE MARKET THIS SEPTEMBER
Lower Price to Further Accelerate Expansion of the PlayStation®3 Platform
Along with Extensive Software Title Line-up for Upcoming Holiday Season
Tokyo, August 19, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today unveiled the new
PlayStation®3 (CECH-2000A) (body color: charcoal black) computer entertainment system,
featuring an extremely streamlined form factor with a 120GB Hard Disk Drive (HDD). The
new PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system will become available in stores from September 1, 2009, in
North America, Europe/ PAL territories and Asian countries and regions at a very attractive
recommended retail price (RRP) of US$299 and €299, respectively. The system will become
available in Japan on September 3, 2009, at a RRP of 29,980 yen (including tax), and also
Australia and New Zealand with an RRP of AUD$499.95 and NZD$629.95. With the
introduction of the new PS3 system, SCE will also reduce the price of the current PS3 with
80GB HDD to a RRP of US$299 from August 18, €299 from August 19. Also in North
America, the price of PS3 with 160GB HDD will be reduced to a RRP of US$399 from
August 18. By launching a vast library of exciting and attractive software titles for PS3 this
holiday season and offering customers a line-up of hardware models and pricing to match their
preference, SCE will build on the momentum and further accelerate the expansion of the PS3
platform.
The internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors
and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned, achieving a
much slimmer and lighter body. Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the
internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately twothirds.
Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise.
While inheriting the sleek curved body design of the original model, the form factor of the new
PS3 system features a new meticulous design with textured surface finish, giving an all new
impression and a casual look. With the compact body and casual appearance, the newly
2-2-2-2 New Slimmer and Lighter PS3 to Hit Worldwide Market this September
- more -
introduced model will appeal to a wider audience who are looking to buy the best
entertainment system for their home.
Concurrently with the release of the new PS3 system, SCE will modify the PS3 brand
name from “PLAYSTATION 3” to “PlayStation 3”, and introduce a new “ ” logo,
which is engraved on the surface of the new PS3 system. By unifying under the familiar
“PlayStation®” name, which represents the entire PlayStation family, PS3 together with
PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) will further expand the PlayStation business,
and will continue to enhance the entertainment experience along with the ever-growing
PlayStation®Network.
The new PS3 continues to offer the cutting-edge features and functions of the current
models, such as the ability to enjoy high-definition Blu-ray disc (BD) movies and games, as
well as various content and services downloadable through the network. The new PS3’s
storage size has increased from 80GB to 120GB, and with the extra capacity users will be able
to store more games, music, photos, videos as well as various content and services available
through PlayStation Network. Having more than 27 million registered accounts around the
world, PlayStation Network offers more than 15,000 pieces of digital content, ranging from
game titles, trailers, and demos to more than 15,000 movies and TV shows via PlayStation
Store*1. PlayStation Network members can also download free applications, such as
PlayStation Home, a ground-breaking 3D social gaming community available on PS3 that
allows users to interact, communicate and share gaming experiences, as well as Life with
PlayStation, which offers users various news and information on a TV monitor in the living
room by connecting the PS3 to the network.
Since the launch of PS3 in November 2006, the number of BD-based titles has reached
more than 1,000 titles and downloadable PS3 games to 1,400*2 titles worldwide, with the
support from a broad range of third party game developers and publishers. In addition to this
extensive software title line-up, exciting and attractive new titles are to be released from SCE
Worldwide Studios, including Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, EyePet, Ratchet & Clank Future:
A Crack in Time, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, MAG, ModNation Racer, Gran Turismo 5 and
more.
2-2-2-2
- more -
Other features of the new PS3 include:
 PS3 system software update version 3.00
Concurrently with the release of new PS3, system software will be upgraded to version
3.00 on September 1. The update adds various user-friendly features such as the “What’s
New” screen, where users can quickly browse the new items available in PlayStation Store
as well as their recently played games directly on the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar), with short
cuts to each piece of content. PS3 will evolve continuously with the system software
updates, further improving the operability and enhancing the user experience available
through the network. PS3 owners will be able to enjoy new features by simply updating
the PS3 system software to version 3.00 via the “System Update” function on the XMB*3.
 BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature
The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync™ feature. By connecting
the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly
operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include “System
Standby” that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned
off*4.
 “Vertical Stand” for new PS3 (CECH-2000 series)
By utilizing the separately sold “Vertical Stand”, users will be able to set the new PS3 in
vertical position*5, making it easier to place the PS3 system anywhere at home. The
vertical stand will become available in Japan on September 3, 2009, at a RRP of 2,000 yen
(including tax) and in North America at US$24*6. Details regarding launch date and price
for Australia and New Zealand are still to be confirmed.
 Removal of “Install Other OS” feature
The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and
users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.
Along with a vast line-up of attractive and exciting entertainment content with the new
PS3 system, SCE will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of
computer entertainment.
4-4-4-4 New Slimmer and Lighter PS3 to Hit Worldwide Market this September
- more -
*1 Number as of end July 2009. Content within PlayStation Store will differ by region, please refer to the official
PlayStation.com site for further details.
*2 Includes PS one® classics and free of charge content (downloadable demos).
*3 Users will need to connect their PS3 to the network to use the function.
*4 Users will need to use BRAVIA TV that supports the BRAVIA Sync feature. For further information about BRAVIA
Sync, please refer to the official Sony site in each region.
*5 Users will need to use the separately sold “Vertical Stand” to set the new PS3 in vertical position.
*6 Release date of the vertical stand for North America will be announced when available. Release date and price of the
vertical stand for Europe/ PAL territories and Asian countries and regions will be announced when available.
Product Outline
PlayStation®3 (CECH-2000A)
Product name PlayStation®3
Product code CECH-2000A (Charcoal Black)
CPU Cell Broadband Engine™
GPU RSX®
Audio output
LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD,
DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Hard disk 2.5” Serial ATA 120GB *1
Inputs/
Outputs*2
Hi-Speed USB
(USB 2.0)
Networking
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1
IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Wireless Controller

Bluetooth®

AV output
Resolution 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i
(for PAL 576p, 576i)
HDMI OUT connector*3 1
AV MULTI OUT connector 1
Digital out (optical) connector 1
BD

DVD

CD
drive (read only)
Maximum read rate
BD × 2 (BD-ROM)
DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM)
CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz*4
Power consumption Approx. 250W
External dimensions
(excluding maximum projecting part )
Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
Mass Approx. 3.2kg
Included *5
PlayStation®3 system × 1
Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3) × 1
AC power cord × 1
AV cable × 1
USB cable × 1
*1 Hard disk capacity calculated using base 10 mathematics (1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes). System software versions 1.10
and later calculate capacity using binary mathematics (1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes), which will display lower capacity
4-4-4-4 New Slimmer and Lighter PS3 to Hit Worldwide Market this September
- more -
and free space. A portion of hard disk capacity is reserved for system administration, which varies depending upon
system software version, and is not available for use.
*2 Usability of all connected devices is not guaranteed.
*3 "Deep Colour" and "x.v.Colour (xvYCC)" defined by HDMI ver.1.3a are supported.
*4 Power changes depending on countries or regions.
*5 For certain regions, Euro-AV cable will be included.
Note: This product is not compatible with PlayStation®2 games.
New Logo
Vertical Stand (CECH-ZS1)
Product name Vertical Stand
Product code CECH-ZS1
Included Vertical Stand

CECH-ZS1

× 1
External dimension Approx. 88 mm x 18 mm x 260 mm (width × height × length)
Mass Approx. 115g
Supports CECH-2000 series
* The “Vertical Stand” is for the new PS3 system (CECH-2000 series) and cannot be used on the current model.
ENDS
For further information on PlayStation products, please contact:
Alexis Bicknell
Hausmann Communications
P: 02 8353 5731
E: [email protected]
Sarah Smith
Hausmann Communications
P: 02 8353 5747
E: [email protected]
More information about PlayStation products can be found at www.playstation.com.au or visit
the Virtual Press Office at www.scee.presscentre.com/au.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer
entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufacturers, distributes and markets the
PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable)
handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home
entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation
legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is an innovative handheld entertainment system that
allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an
advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power.
SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer
Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and
distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets
worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is an independent business unit
of the Sony Group.
# # #
Dolby is a trademark of Dolby Laboratories.
DTS is a trademark of Digital Theater Systems, Inc.
5-5-5-5 New Slimmer and Lighter PS3 to Hit Worldwide Market this September
HDMI, HDMI logo and High Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
Blu-ray Disc is a trademark.
The Bluetooth word mark is a registered trademark owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Sony
Computer Entertainment Inc. is under license.
PlayStation, PLAYSTATION, PS3, RSX, DUALSHOCK and GRAN TURISMO are registered trademarks of Sony Computer
Entertainment Inc. Cell Broadband Engine is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are
property of their respective owners.

BEK-46P
19th August 2009, 11:09 AM
I heard about the new console but didn't expect this.

It's a bit underwhelming, don't ya think?

hazrd
19th August 2009, 11:19 AM
ususally happens before a new platform comes out ;)

at least when i get my shit into gear and buy a PS3 i dont have to deal with owning a slab anymore :p

sooty
19th August 2009, 11:27 AM
Original 60gb with e-motive chip ftw.

poita
19th August 2009, 11:33 AM
wish sony would pull there finger out and realease the Play TV here already

will be slapping 500gb hard drive into mine straight away.

stuff buying a PVR then ;)

ChrisMaz
19th August 2009, 08:40 PM
I can get myself an original PS3 with one controller for 300 bucks. Worth it?

poita
19th August 2009, 08:44 PM
if its the one that can play ps2 games, fuk yesit is!!

ChrisMaz
19th August 2009, 09:35 PM
It seems it is....

Hmmmm...

ps3 or Car mods.

HappySlapper82
19th August 2009, 09:41 PM

If it's a working 60gig PS3 then it's worth a hell of a lot more than that so yes you should buy it

Hackstra
19th August 2009, 09:45 PM
300 go for it! mine cant play PS2 games is there any emulation software out that allows it on the 40gb ps3s?

HappySlapper82
19th August 2009, 09:45 PM
300 go for it! mine cant play PS2 games is there any emulation software out that allows it on the 40gb ps3s?

Not for PS3. It's hard wired on the 60gig

poita
19th August 2009, 11:29 PM
on the 60GB it's a combination of software and hardware that allow it to play ps2 games

gmonkey
20th August 2009, 12:15 AM
hope new one allows ps2 games, but it wont.. or know one will buy ps2s anyhmore, cant believe they still sell them :p

this reminds me of the psone re-release... which had heaps of problems with overheating :p

ChrisMaz
20th August 2009, 12:19 AM
hope new one allows ps2 games, but it wont.. or know one will buy ps2s anyhmore, cant believe they still sell them :p

this reminds me of the psone re-release... which had heaps of problems with overheating :p

And the habit of the top not staying shut and the laser deciding to crap itself :p

sooty
20th August 2009, 09:08 AM

The software/hardware required to play the psone and ps2 games are what cost the extra amount to bump the console up to $1k when they first came out. But it was so worth it :p

poita
20th August 2009, 09:29 PM
will not support ps2 games at all

ps2 has been pretty muched phased out
we are clearing our stock to get rid of em

wont be ordering anything anymore, and manufacturers arent making or supplying bits for them.

Septemeber 3rd still stands as the release date

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 10:11 PM
especially when you could slap it straight onto ebay with a few games and get almost $1000, yes.
ive seen new 60gb systems sell for over $1700 on ebay!
we paid $900 for ours, it was the only one left in target in c/town. they wanted $999 but we bargained with them.

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 10:35 PM
And the habit of the top not staying shut and the laser deciding to crap itself :p
this happened on all models of ps1.
but still nowhere as often as xbox/xbox 360 problems.

pete, thankyou for posting original post. i knew it was coming, just wasnt sure when.

haz, yeah they usually bring out a slim model when they are bringing out the next gen console. but the reason for sony doing this is to reduce costs and increase interest.
sony has been unable to reduce costs of the bigger console because as it is they are making a loss on each console. im unsure as to whether they will make profit off this newer size etc, but i doubt it, might just be a bit cheaper.

in my opinion, this newer size makes me think of nintendo, gamecube actually. smallish looking box.
the wii is selling huge amounts of units, and i dont think it can be denied that the wii is a "childrens" console, ie mainly childrens software.

maybe the ps3s new look is to make it look attractive to children, if you know what i mean... cute? although i dont think it looks cute lol.

ruth is looking forward to the new ratchet, and im looking forward to the new gt.

and pete, im with you...PLAY TV !!! hurry the fk up!

poita
20th August 2009, 10:37 PM
yer, we received our pos material at work today.
pre-order now for $499 and receive a free game ;) ;)

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 10:44 PM
just a bit more info for chris, you can play ps1 games on the 60gb too.
incase your wondering why in the hell anyone would want to play ps1 games,,,,
tomb raider 1 and 2
rage racer
pandemonium 1 and 2

also you can transfer your ps1 and ps2 game saves from your memory cards onto your ps3.

60gb also has 4 usb slots instead of 2 like on the 40/80gb models.
this helps when you have eyetoy/singstar/buzz plugged in while 2 or more controllers are charging.

also, 60gb is the only model that comes with sd/ms card slots, so you can put your mem card in straight from your digital cam etc and play movies, pics, music straight from the stick through your ps3.

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 10:56 PM
yer, we received our pos material at work today.
pre-order now for $499 and receive a free game ;) ;)
im extremely happy with my 60gb. the only way id upgrade is if they somehow improved update dl times with new models.
though i will be upgrading my hd one day.

ive read a fair bit about rumours on the net regarding ps3.
one rumour was that with how bad ps3 sales were, sony were planning on cutting ps3 short and bringing out ps4 much earlier than they usually release newer consoles.

another rumour was sony had a ad in the paper etc in japan for someone to work on making emulation cheaper and a next gen console.
speculation was that the emulation was to make the cheaper versions of ps3 to be able to play ps1/2 games.
and the next gen was speculated to be ps4 or psp2. but since then the psp3000 has been released so who knows.

poita
20th August 2009, 11:03 PM
the new psp is the PSPgo, will be released on 1st of October ;)

Not content with smashing records and raising standards in its previous PlayStation® (PS one®), PlayStation®2 and PLAYSTATION®3 incarnations, legendary racer Gran Turismo® makes its PSP™ debut with all the style, speed and supercars you could ask for – plus a whole lot more besides.
Buckle up and take a deep breath as you set out to trounce the opposition on amazing tracks across the globe. You’ll have your pick of jaw-dropping dream cars, all lovingly recreated to rev, roll and roar just as they would in real life. Perfect physics and intelligent rivals make for an ultra-realistic driving experience – and one you can enjoy any time, anywhere.

Key Features

• 800 cars with 4,500 colour variations
• 35 courses and 60 layouts
• Ultra-smooth, ultra-realistic action rendered at 60 frames per second
• Multiplayer mode featuring 4 players via ad-hoc mode
• A variety of gameplay modes
- Single player, featuring arcade mode, time trial, drift challenges
- Challenge mode, compete in over 100 driving challenges and prove your driving skills to unlock additional vehicles.
- Car dealership where credits gained from single player and challenge mode can be used to build up your garage.
• The unique and inimitable Gran Turismo franchise makes its first appearance on a handheld machine.
• More vehicles and more tracks than any other racing title on the PSP or even the main consoles.
• Trade vehicles and share your garage with friends to enhance the gaming experience.
• Highly detailed car models and track locations.
• Gameplay modes specifically designed to take advantage of the PSPs features including the car swap/trade mode and head-to-head multiplayer
• The most accessible GT product yet – it’s never been easier even for younger racing game fans to enjoy the world of GT.

http://i30.tinypic.com/1496plt.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/dvq68o.jpg

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 11:06 PM
print is too small for me to read lol. but i can remember talk of there being no game discs/carts. all downloadable.
and for those with no pc etc, you can go to eb etc and purchase there and you go home and put on your psp then....

poita
20th August 2009, 11:07 PM
click on the yellow bar above the picture, it will make it bigger ;)

ASTRAY
20th August 2009, 11:21 PM
click on the yellow bar above the picture, it will make it bigger ;)
yep confirmed, dl instead of umd. good sized inbuilt mem too, 16gb. most psp games are 300mb-800mb (some up to 1.5gb), so itd fit at least 10 decent sized games. i think gta lcs is around 500mb.

is that gt just a port of gt1 from ps1? they do that alot with psp games, just port it over to psp.
im also not a fan of the look of the pspgo, the slide out looks delicate.
also the psp3000 doesnt allow for pandora/magic mem stick trick. so pspgo wont either, it seems it operates off the same system. one rumour i read was this is the reason for sony going for dl games only.

poita
21st August 2009, 09:40 AM
psp will be d/l games through the software
if people can hack the iphone and get hacked apps to install on it, i dont see this as being any different

gmonkey
3rd September 2009, 04:26 PM
Picked up mandas ps3 slim today.... over hyped its not much smaller at all!! its lighter ill give it that but size wise its roughly the same, also it doesnt stand up vertical anymore (doesnt have the rubber feet) so yeh its good the is was only $570 with another controller and batman :p and that its a 120gb hdd. But dont be fooled by the size its not much smaller... ill put pic up now

boorny88
3rd September 2009, 04:29 PM
that sucks lol but the HDD is good lol

ASTRAY
3rd September 2009, 05:35 PM
Picked up mandas ps3 slim today.... over hyped its not much smaller at all!! its lighter ill give it that but size wise its roughly the same, also it doesnt stand up vertical anymore (doesnt have the rubber feet) so yeh its good the is was only $570 with another controller and batman :p and that its a 120gb hdd. But dont be fooled by the size its not much smaller... ill put pic up now
it was advertised as 2/3rds the size.
if it was a bus that was a third smaller, then yes you would expect a big difference, but a ps3 isnt that big to start with.

i think the important feature of the new ps3 is the price. at $499 there will be alot of kids with one under the tree this xmas.

gmonkey
3rd September 2009, 05:56 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs254.snc1/10135_156165928218_698123218_3542550_5104104_n.jpg

poita
3rd September 2009, 06:21 PM
to stand it vertical you have to buy a stand for it mate

DJM83
3rd September 2009, 07:02 PM
IMO it looks tacky, i has the 40GB version and i think they look a hell of alot better

poita
3rd September 2009, 07:04 PM
yer i have the 40gb also, gonna throw a 500gb in it soon
come on Play TV!!!!

ChrisMaz
3rd September 2009, 10:15 PM
After reading about the slim I regret not buying my mates 40gb original.

poita
3rd September 2009, 10:18 PM
the original was 60GB, the only one that played PS2 games, i wish i got one :(

adam_92
3rd September 2009, 10:26 PM
what are the new ps3's like compared to the old ps3's ? jb hifi has them for sale $494 with a hdmi cable and assasins creed, is this good or not ?

poita
3rd September 2009, 10:31 PM
the only differences between the new and old ps3

new console gains
- 120gb hard drive
- is smaller.

loses
-ability to install linux\

and as for that deal, depends on the hdmi cable.
but yer i would say worth it

adam_92
3rd September 2009, 10:42 PM
thanks poita and i didnt know there was a difference with hdmi cables i thought they all did the same job and i havnt got a clue what linux is anyway so chances are i wouldnt be installing it.

ASTRAY
3rd September 2009, 10:47 PM
the original was 60GB, the only one that played PS2 games, i wish i got one :(
:prrr: ner ner lol. i insisted on getting the 60gb before it became obselete because of the size of our ps2 game collection.
and the only downside of the 60gb is the hd size, but as you have pointed out its easy to replace and doesnt void warranty.
though ive heard its v easy to thread the screw if you dont use lots of pressure the first time you try.

hazrd
4th September 2009, 10:21 AM
eh, ill look into one now they have come down a bit in price

can get one through work pretty cheap ;)

JohnBu
4th September 2009, 12:42 PM
hazrd-

I'm thinking of getting one to use a media centre. I have no interest in games whatsoever.

How is it the slim as a Blu-ray player & media centre?

I'm assuming its got LAN and can play off a USB hard drive?

Price wise, its pretty cheap. not much more than a standalone Blu-ray player.

hazrd
4th September 2009, 02:48 PM
yeah ill probably use mine more for media than games. not sure about the USB hard drive, but i do know they have LAN connectivity which will also be a big plus for me

JohnBu
4th September 2009, 03:29 PM
Any chance of you finding out if I can connect a USB Hard-drive to play movies etc?

that way would save me the hassles of connecting the USB Hard-drive to my laptop to then move the files to the PS3.

I'm assuming the PS3 doesn't have a wireless card.

I don't have a LAN or router at home, so would prefer either to play media via USB.

pretty basic questions, but i don't know the answer. haha

chrissn89
4th September 2009, 05:00 PM
Any chance of you finding out if I can connect a USB Hard-drive to play movies etc?

that way would save me the hassles of connecting the USB Hard-drive to my laptop to then move the files to the PS3.

I'm assuming the PS3 doesn't have a wireless card.

I don't have a LAN or router at home, so would prefer either to play media via USB.

pretty basic questions, but i don't know the answer. haha
I know the PS3 has WiFi (wireless network)

MAD-16V
4th September 2009, 05:01 PM
You just need to make sure that the external hard drive is formatted to fat32 and not ntfs ,

I use a small 160gb usb drive on my 360 and my ps3 it works great.

poita
4th September 2009, 08:33 PM
what they said :)

IMO the PS3 is by far the best blu-ray player on teh market.

how many others can you get on the net, play games, listen to your music, stream video clips, look at youyr photos, record/watch HD TV (very soon) all for under $550 (with blu ray remote)

it also has an upscaling ability for dvd's ;)

hazrd
4th September 2009, 08:36 PM
it also has an upscaling ability for dvd's ;)

:confused: :o

poita
4th September 2009, 08:43 PM
will take a dvd and make it look better on teh screen.

not to blu-ray quality, but to better than dvd

hazrd
4th September 2009, 08:56 PM
sold!

poita
4th September 2009, 09:05 PM
if you are watching movies on it mainly make sure u get the blu-ray remote.
much easier to use than the controller.

hint on playing movies from external usb stick/hard drive

format it in FAT32 and put the files into a VIDEO folder (has to be in all caps)

also use XVID format on the files

ASTRAY
5th September 2009, 11:44 AM
ive watched movies on mine straight from usb, movie title just pops up under the movie icon.
as for upscaling, it also upscales ps2 games (the 60gb model anyway)
but in saying that, the ps2 upscaled ps1 games too.

HappySlapper82
5th September 2009, 05:42 PM
yer i have the 40gb also, gonna throw a 500gb in it soon
come on Play TV!!!!

If yours takes the same drive as a 60GB ps3 - group buy?

poita
5th September 2009, 05:53 PM
all they use is a 2.5" laptop hard drive

changing em over is a piece of piss, and its still covered under sony's warranty ;)

we do it at work

a 500GB is going for about the $120 mark from umart, give it a coupla months and i reckon they will be under $100

ASTRAY
6th September 2009, 01:21 AM
im up for group buy...
lets get a list together, and when it hits say 10, then we enquire about group prices.
1. HAPPY
2. ASTRAY

gmonkey
6th September 2009, 04:10 AM
if we convert the hdd can we move the files from our current hdd across?? so i can keep my save games and all my rockband downloads :p (dont want to download them again)

ASTRAY
6th September 2009, 03:35 PM
if we convert the hdd can we move the files from our current hdd across?? so i can keep my save games and all my rockband downloads :p (dont want to download them again)
yes, ps3 has a back up function
http://www.cnet.com.au/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive-339282375.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyQPW3bDS0&feature=related

poita
6th September 2009, 05:33 PM
im up for group buy...
lets get a list together, and when it hits say 10, then we enquire about group prices.
1. HAPPY
2. ASTRAY

honestly i wouldnt bother with a group buy mate.
the small amount saved would be chewed up by postage out to everyone

oneightoo
6th September 2009, 08:12 PM
hot tip

fat princess = awesome game

poita
6th September 2009, 09:15 PM
hot tip

so i keep hearing

gmonkey
6th September 2009, 11:11 PM
as is batman

HappySlapper82
7th September 2009, 01:03 AM
hot tip

It looks kinda lame? What is it about?

oneightoo
7th September 2009, 02:31 PM
thats what i said when i first saw it, then i played it.. it rocks..

kinda like a red vs blue capture the flag type game.. computer cartoon graphic gore..