PDA

View Full Version : Calder Park

Nurb608
10th August 2009, 03:15 PM
Well, even though the rumours of Calder opening back up for the street drags soon have been circulating, this may put a spanner in the works.

http://www.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=064367504&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1

The AMC is now in recievership after a creditors meeting a few days ago. Will be interesting to see what impact this has considering how much association the AMC had with Calder.

Whichever way it goes, not good news :(

[OPCSRi]
10th August 2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like it's the HWY it is then. GIVE US A GOD DAM TRACK TO HAVE SOME FUN ON YOU LAZY ARSE POLITIANS!!!

Nurb608
10th August 2009, 07:43 PM
lol. i'll do some more fishing, but unless they are gonna re-start operation drag safe, we might be in a bit of trouble.

[OPCSRi]
10th August 2009, 08:19 PM
As a mate just said on another forum. 'may as well just fill it all in coz it will never start up again'.

coyotte
9th September 2009, 10:01 AM
It will be a crying shame if it closes. Having worked there for a while in the late 90's I have some very fond memories of the place including the following (not in any particular order)

1. Seeing the HUGE Craig Lownes V8 crash which stopped the race.

2. Seeing Russell Ingall blitz a field of NASCAR drivers on the dome, before crashing.

3. Driving Peter Brock in a golf buggy down a steep embackment and almost rolling the thing while he was chatting to me about his veggie garden.

4. Having a laugh with Eric Bana before he hoped into a borrowed fans Commodore for a quarter mile drag race against Brockie.

5. Being quizzed at length by Mark Skaife about my "Opel" when he was at Calder filming a TVC for "Holden". (Nothing like being in the wrong place at the right time lol).

I love the place !

Nurb608
9th September 2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah agreed.

Had one of my good mates funerals there in the Chapel.

mr corsa
9th September 2009, 10:34 AM
and after the big crash 1/4 mile crash no wonder andra wont allow events there

MatsHolden
9th September 2009, 06:20 PM
Circuit still operates.

coyotte
10th September 2009, 09:52 AM
I loved the sound of the NASCARS going through the corrogutated iron tunnel at the southern end of the dome.
Seriously, there is no other better sound than an unrestricted V8, muffler free Nascar, whether its ideling, or at max revs !
I would love to see the Thunderdome re open.
Such a pity, seeing weeds, then shrubs grow between the concrete grandstand on the main straight.
The place could have been the home of motorsport in Victoria.
R.I.P.
I predict that when Bob eventually passes away, the place will be bull dozed, then suburbia will expand further north towards Diggers Rest.

Nurb608
10th September 2009, 10:01 AM
The residential expansion was the first nail in the coffin for Calder Park, bloody whinging neighbours. The plans for the residential subdivision directly opposite on calder park drive are already underway with developers already owning the land :(

coyotte
11th September 2009, 04:46 PM
Yep, Calder Park Drive, and the Thunderdome Car Park was kind of like the "Final Barrier".
Seperating suburbia from rolling pasture land, (see you later sheeps n' cows).......
I always thought once they lost the V8 Supercars it was only going to be a matter of time before corner apexes gave way to curb & guttering.

Nurb608
6th October 2009, 12:41 PM
And they're back :cornut:

http://www.calderpark.com.au/home.shtml

hazrd
6th October 2009, 12:54 PM
:D

Friday 6th November 2009

who wants to go?

Nurb608
6th October 2009, 12:56 PM
Me, pick me :D

hazrd
6th October 2009, 02:04 PM
ill chuck something up in the cruise thread when i get home ;)

xplosv57
6th October 2009, 04:32 PM
Ill do a few runs.......

Gotta go buy a pair of decent sprinting shoes first!!!

Just be aware that it'll be packed those 2 dates so don't expect to do too many runs!!

Nurb608
6th October 2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, with this coming back, everyone will be out, but being a friday night will be a little less than if it was on the saturday.

hazrd
6th October 2009, 06:26 PM
im just going to watch ;)

i dont think people would have a spare 3 days to watch me snail it down the 1/4...
plus i dont have a helmet..

coyotte
7th October 2009, 08:41 AM
Yep, I'll go (pending any work commitments).

Wraith
7th October 2009, 09:08 AM
Hmmm, my old stomping grounds...brings back memories of when I was a regular at the track as part of the Chev Off Road and Marine racing engines Drag car team there in the late 80's to early 90's...

Hope it does come back to life as I live in Taylors Lakes, I can easily get there if ever I want to :)