PDA

View Full Version : BOV

OPL-20T
15th September 2004, 04:54 PM
Open any performance magazine and you'll find dozens of ads for blow-off valves. Ones that go whoosh, ones that screech, ones that are recirculating ("plumback"), ones that are externally venting - and others that are half and half. As we have stated many times, most over-size super shiny blow-off valves (BOVs) do little more for performance than a non-leaking factory valve. However, that doesn't stop lots of people seeing them as a major performance accessory on turbo cars.

Manufacturers fit recirculating BOVs to achieve three outcomes:

****To reduce the noise caused by compressor surge on throttle closure
****To speed-up turbo response following gearchanges
****To reduce airflow metering problems caused by reverse flow back through the airflow meter on throttle closure

Most aftermarket designs are bought to make the loudest noise on gearchanges:

Anonymous
15th September 2004, 05:25 PM
Glad too see some else finds After Market BOVs are Wank, When 95% of Turbo Cars getting Around are Stock Boost or only 15-18 Pound Tops. I see the point of having it when ya running a T-66 on 35 pound, But thats a Different Story :)

Alfonzo
15th September 2004, 05:30 PM
You gotta admit though, they're awesome for attention seeking drivers.

Nothing turns a head faster than a deep growl and a crisp *psssshhh* :D

Jass
15th September 2004, 06:18 PM
Open any performance magazine and you'll find dozens of ads for blow-off valves. Ones that go whoosh, ones that screech, ones that are recirculating ("plumback"), ones that are externally venting - and others that are half and half. As we have stated many times, most over-size super shiny blow-off valves (BOVs) do little more for performance than a non-leaking factory valve. However, that doesn't stop lots of people seeing them as a major performance accessory on turbo cars.

Manufacturers fit recirculating BOVs to achieve three outcomes:

****To reduce the noise caused by compressor surge on throttle closure
****To speed-up turbo response following gearchanges
****To reduce airflow metering problems caused by reverse flow back through the airflow meter on throttle closure

Most aftermarket designs are bought to make the loudest noise on gearchanges:

You forgot the most essential.

EPA regulations do not allow a road registered vehicle to have a BOV installed as it doesnt meet EPA standards!

OPL-20T
15th September 2004, 10:23 PM
oh man jass u just changed my mind again
now i dont want one hee hee :p

NXA-16H
16th September 2004, 10:42 AM
Blow-off-Valve... More like Blow-Me Valve. :screwy:

Dave
NXA-16H