PDA

View Full Version : How do I change my Car horn !

Ice
6th August 2009, 07:20 PM
OMG ! the horn on my car is f**ken pathetic and need to change it before I do anything else. where can I get one from and how do I fit the damn thing.......

Jerram
6th August 2009, 07:24 PM
OMG ! the horn on my car is f**ken pathetic and need to change it before I do anything else. where can I get one from and how do I fit the damn thing.......

what does it sound like? Single tone or dual tone?

I know I'm enjoying my Dual tone on the Vec

xplosv57
6th August 2009, 07:25 PM
Haha yeah im thinking of doing the same, i'm just gonna wire up a horn from another car and slap it in, but since yours is new i don't know.........

USC
6th August 2009, 07:26 PM
get Mr Whippy tones and a loud speaker.

JasonGilholme
6th August 2009, 07:31 PM
search ebay or go to an automotive store.

Then you wire it up. lol Its not going to be plug and play.

xplosv57
6th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Or buy a car with a decent horn........

gmonkey
6th August 2009, 07:33 PM
you can buy horns from most car shops (whether good i dunno, i want a truck horn :p) all ya need to do is locate your horn (ussually just behind the front bar) unplug (should be a single positive wire one) take off bracket mount new horn, plug up positive wire, negative just realies on your chassis being earthered.. simple mod to do :p

did it to my past 2 cars :D

DirtyHarry
6th August 2009, 08:40 PM
about 3 ford falcon or bwm horns does the trick :-P

guy 27
6th August 2009, 08:42 PM
Get this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzi24mvVShU

Ice
6th August 2009, 10:09 PM
Get this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzi24mvVShU

yeah right !

my car would weigh 2 tonne !

gmonkey
6th August 2009, 10:13 PM
you'd think his windows would blow and panels would fall off that box :p

Ice
6th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Or buy a car with a decent horn........

oh piss off yah Pikey !

CNBLU
6th August 2009, 11:01 PM
the girly horn suits the diesel :p

sooty
6th August 2009, 11:44 PM
check the parts list in the astra section, there's the part numbers for the 'beefier' horns in there

GreyRex
7th August 2009, 08:28 AM
The horn in the turbo is awesome

I would've thought they'd be the same thoughout the range :confused:

I remember the horn in my Barina... I'd almost hang my head in shame if I had to use it

InsaneAsylum
7th August 2009, 09:38 AM
i want a horn that plays la cucaracia!!!

gmonkey
7th August 2009, 09:53 AM
I got dukes of hazard just got to install it at some point

EL BURITO
7th August 2009, 01:26 PM
The horn in the turbo is awesome

I would've thought they'd be the same thoughout the range :confused:

I remember the horn in my Barina... I'd almost hang my head in shame if I had to use it
I use it maby 500% more now in the ST compared to the Sxi

hazrd
8th August 2009, 01:07 PM
I got dukes of hazard just got to install it at some point

ur going the wrong way about it... why nurb stickers then? paint it red, slap numbers on the side, and weld the doors shut so you can only enter from the window :p

just buy a set of air horns or something pete? only question is, can they be hooked straight into where the std one is to save having to rewire everything...

xplosv57
8th August 2009, 02:14 PM
from the horns ive seen, just a simple power and earth so you can pretty much retrofit any horn into it!

PO15KA
8th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Not sure about CDTi's but my CD already has a second harness to hook up the second horn, all i need to get is the second horn and a double brackett from Holden parts.

chrissn89
8th August 2009, 10:25 PM
My horn is very loud and F**K off ish. Maybe have a look around the wreckers for some dual horns off of a TS astra.

AfterBurner
8th August 2009, 10:55 PM
Word of warning to Horn changers... It IS a simple change if using a STANDARD type horn as they draw low current.

IF you are going to fit AIR-Horns, you will need a relay that is powered by the old horn wire, otherwise, the next toot you give someone will weld your horn switch together & we all know what happens then...

Bonnet up & wires gettin yanked...

Do it the right way, save yourself some major embarrassment...:D

Ice
13th December 2009, 05:18 PM
ok so ive finally gotten around to it and Ive disconnected the horn and undone the bolt and have a replacement ready to go only ive now realized..oh f**k it doesnt fit so i put the old one back and now it doesnt f**ken work ? wtf ???? nothing has changed and its back to normal and the cables cant be put around backward so what the ? Any one able to help me out ?

guy 27
13th December 2009, 05:19 PM
canbus having a fit?

Ice
13th December 2009, 05:24 PM
canbus having a fit?

NFI ? diconnected the battery and still the same !

bender
13th December 2009, 07:03 PM
also you'll get defected if u dont have a plain horn as a novelty horn they dont class that as a warning device so your better off setting it up to a seperate switch ;)

Ice
13th December 2009, 07:11 PM
anyone ? f**ken stupid horn......i guess its better than that little pipsqueek of a thing.

guy 27
13th December 2009, 07:16 PM
checked the fuse?

hazrd
13th December 2009, 07:45 PM
stock astra horn seems fine? why did u change it?!

i will admit my calibra one kicks arse over it though :)

Ice
13th December 2009, 08:03 PM
checked the fuse?

fuse, checked and all is ok ;)

Ice
13th December 2009, 08:04 PM
stock astra horn seems fine? why did u change it?!

i will admit my calibra one kicks arse over it though :)

are you kidding me ? as someone on AON mentioned the indicator switch sounds more agressive, haha its pathetic ! i dont even want to use it, its that bad !

hazrd
13th December 2009, 08:06 PM
LOL
our one is pretty loud, scared the shit out of the old lady doing 40km/hr in the 80 zone on the nepean today :p

Ice
13th December 2009, 08:40 PM
LOL
our one is pretty loud, scared the shit out of the old lady doing 40km/hr in the 80 zone on the nepean today :p

swap ?

i just need some advice from someone....otherwise its to Holden !

AfterBurner
13th December 2009, 09:31 PM
Do u defo know the horn is fine??

Pull the horn out & hook up 12v across it.. Either way shouldn't matter...

If thats ok then its either the power to it or the switch/steering wheel...

Ice
13th December 2009, 09:55 PM
Do u defo know the horn is fine??

Pull the horn out & hook up 12v across it.. Either way shouldn't matter...

If thats ok then its either the power to it or the switch/steering wheel...

definately fine......

hazrd
13th December 2009, 10:28 PM
off to holdens it goes :(

guy 27
13th December 2009, 10:29 PM
i have not used the horn in my car once since i have owned it. want mine? :P

hazrd
13th December 2009, 10:30 PM
i dare you to change that by walking out to the garage and pressing it right now.. so u can at least say its been used once....

guy 27
13th December 2009, 10:35 PM
nope. i know it works though because everytime i pop the bonnet and someone is in the car they like to press it. scares the shit out of me everytime.

Ice
13th December 2009, 10:43 PM
you want to give me your horn ? ide like to atleast try it out though if your willing.

guy 27
13th December 2009, 10:50 PM
if it wasnt needed so the car would be roadworthy then yeah i would give it to you.
happy to come round though and see if it will work on yours if you like. just needs to be before tuesday arvo though.

UnKnOwN
13th December 2009, 11:08 PM
yea i would think the horn in all the range would be the same, im pretty sure my turbo and cdx are the same and they're pretty loud, typical of european horns

AfterBurner
14th December 2009, 09:40 AM
My Veccy B horn Astra Turbs horn are completely different... Veccy is quiet as, but noy faulty quiet...

ICE, throw a multimeter between ground & the horn wire, put it on DC-Volts, get someone to press the horn & see if it reads 12volts, if not the wire could be bropken smwhere or the horn in the sterring wheel is fuct or the fuse or something...

If you wanna spend $200+ to get 'Holdem Ransom' to check it, be my guest, but i would suggest you try the basics first...

Ice
14th December 2009, 09:42 AM
My Veccy B horn Astra Turbs horn are completely different... Veccy is quiet as, but noy faulty quiet...

ICE, throw a multimeter between ground & the horn wire, put it on DC-Volts, get someone to press the horn & see if it reads 12volts, if not the wire could be bropken smwhere or the horn in the sterring wheel is fuct or the fuse or something...

If you wanna spend $200+ to get 'Holdem Ransom' to check it, be my guest, but i would suggest you try the basics first...

should this not be under warranty ?

I literaly unplugged it for 3 minutes and then put it back.....f**ken wierd...

AfterBurner
14th December 2009, 10:03 AM
should this not be under warranty ?

I literaly unplugged it for 3 minutes and then put it back.....f**ken wierd...

How old is the car??? Or when was it purchased from the dealer??

Tried disconnecting the ECU for 5 mins?? Although i find it hard to imagine the ECU controlling the horn, but we all know how weird CANBUS is..

hazrd
14th December 2009, 10:34 AM
How old is the car???

Metro Blue MY09 John Deere CDTi

new car warranty FTW !!

Ice
14th December 2009, 12:19 PM
[/SIZE][/B]

new car warranty FTW !!

its 4 months old, haha

disconnecting the ECU ? not sure i want to do that....my have to take it to Holden.....
should i tell them what ive done or just remain innocent ?

hazrd
14th December 2009, 01:05 PM
if u havent changed anything, just unplugged, then replugged... remain innocent, how would they know? :angel:

AfterBurner
14th December 2009, 05:18 PM
Play dumb 4 sure... Do you wanna pay them or something???:yikes:

Ice
19th December 2009, 02:42 PM
ok problem solved !

i took the horn off again today to have another look before I did take it to Holden and at the back there is a screw which was loose....i tightened ti and tested the horn and i heard to tiniest sound......screwed it tighter and slowly the horn came back louder :) WOO f**ken HOO, only its still is pathetic, the thing works but ill be looking for a bigger one, perhaps off a veccy or something.

AfterBurner
19th December 2009, 02:56 PM
ok problem solved !

i took the horn off again today to have another look before I did take it to Holden and at the back there is a screw which was loose....i tightened ti and tested the horn and i heard to tiniest sound......screwed it tighter and slowly the horn came back louder :) WOO f**ken HOO, only its still is pathetic, the thing works but ill be looking for a bigger one, perhaps off a veccy or something.

Good stuff... hate to burst ur bubbole but Veccy horns or piss fart, on the B's anyhow... My Astra actually has dual horns, prolle y it's louder...

If you want decent hornage just go a set of air horns... That should fix ur problem, just use the existing wire to drive a relay (30amp) & Bob's ur uncle... You only need to run another power wire + some wires to the body for ground & to the relay & that's it...

Ice
19th December 2009, 03:00 PM
Good stuff... hate to burst ur bubbole but Veccy horns or piss fart, on the B's anyhow... My Astra actually has dual horns, prolle y it's louder...

If you want decent hornage just go a set of air horns... That should fix ur problem, just use the existing wire to drive a relay (30amp) & Bob's ur uncle... You only need to run another power wire + some wires to the body for ground & to the relay & that's it...

so your saying get an auto elec to do it, haha

Jerram
19th December 2009, 04:15 PM

Dunno what you mean there; on the CDs the Dual Tone horn was fine.

hazrd
19th December 2009, 04:52 PM
pete i gotta show u the horn on the SRi, its freakin loud man... although i am comparing that to a "non-euro" horn !!

Ice
19th December 2009, 04:56 PM
pete i gotta show u the horn on the SRi, its freakin loud man... although i am comparing that to a "non-euro" horn !!

I want to hear it too ! I got this poofy little beep beep barina thing.....so imbarrasing in my fits of road rage, haha

AfterBurner
19th December 2009, 06:57 PM
so your saying get an auto elec to do it, haha

Fark no man... Only need like 3 wires & ur done + 1 relay, same as a headlight relay...

The relay is there to absorb the switching current, otherwise you'll weld ur button together without it...

AfterBurner
19th December 2009, 06:58 PM
Dunno what you mean there; on the CDs the Dual Tone horn was fine.

My Veccy B JSII has only 1 horn & it aint that loud at all...:(

Ice
20th December 2009, 12:26 AM
Fark no man... Only need like 3 wires & ur done + 1 relay, same as a headlight relay...

The relay is there to absorb the switching current, otherwise you'll weld ur button together without it...

Auto Elec, haha

GreyRex
21st December 2009, 08:35 AM

I agree. I'm pretty happy with mine

Ice
20th February 2010, 01:56 PM
Finally got myself an omega horn delivered and just fit it in 5 minutes, cost me $18 delivered. direct swap and lets just say its alot better than the shit I had previously....finally I can use my horn as I please, haha

rodsfromday
20th February 2010, 09:38 PM
Fitted twin air horns!! Sounds better than what i had in!!

JR
22nd February 2010, 12:56 PM
My horn is very loud and F**K off ish. Maybe have a look around the wreckers for some dual horns off of a TS astra.

+1

i don't know bout u boyz n galz with an AH vesion, but the TS horn is pretty loud, well atleast mine is. its amazing how many people/cars u can scare!! bhahahaha