PDA

View Full Version : Holden Commodore Engine Line up change

DirtyHarry
4th August 2009, 09:17 PM
so..what do people think of this?

http://www.holden.com.au/resources/documents/Hi-Tech_Engines_Slash_Commodore_Fuel_Use.pdf

seems like torque has dropped on the base model and i wonder if the 3.0L base models will be slower?

admin please delete my post in the astra section.

[OPCSRi]
4th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Well it's better than what Fraud are doing. Stick a 4 banger in a Falcon.

USC
4th August 2009, 09:49 PM
yeh..The mondeo xr5 is heavy with an in line 5 turbo..imagine a falcon with a 4 potter turbo...

out of topic: Having been in a both a new mondeo and a focus and noticing the crap built quality..i really dont know about this new model. I mean how hard is it to get the dash aligned with the a pillars inside..noticed 2 focus`s with alignment problems with trims and panels.

Jerram
4th August 2009, 09:56 PM
mmmm only 290 lb-ft of torque in about a 1.8(?)t vehicle....

wonder why they haven't gone for a variable valve timing design?

stevedee3
4th August 2009, 09:56 PM
seems like torque has dropped on the base model and i wonder if the 3.0L base models will be slower?Six speed auto should help with that...

Jerram
4th August 2009, 10:00 PM
Six speed auto should help with that...

well I guess I hope it's a good one

Vectracious
4th August 2009, 10:30 PM
the Ecoboost engines are pretty good - or at least that is how they are reported. They are not the same engine that is in XR5 Mondeo - and from all accounts are going to be a lot more usable than the small V6 wants to put in the Commodore - peak torque at 5000rpm???? Holden is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this - the car will be crap to drive unless they perform a miracle with the gearbox calibration.

mania
4th August 2009, 10:40 PM
The article says peak torque is at 2900 rpm. :confused:

Vectracious
4th August 2009, 11:27 PM
The article says peak torque is at 2900 rpm. :confused:

hmm - weird - in the August wheels, they were talking about peak torque at 5700rpm (I didnt read the press release)

Well thats good then - people won't need to rev the crap out of them to get the car moving...

USC
4th August 2009, 11:32 PM
2900rpm is still quite high..

poita
4th August 2009, 11:33 PM
if its 5700rpm will be commodores getting around with vtec stickers......

mania
4th August 2009, 11:37 PM
Lol :lol:

2900rpm is still quite high..

It is... but it really depends. If 2000rpm has 80% peak torque it really doesn't matter does it... if it has 50%, it'll be a pig.

Vectracious
4th August 2009, 11:42 PM
It is... but it really depends. If 2000rpm has 80% peak torque it really doesn't matter does it... if it has 50%, it'll be a pig.

+1

we haven't seen a graph yet - it may not be that bad...

Senor Ed
5th August 2009, 08:02 AM
mmmm only 290 lb-ft of torque in about a 1.8(?)t vehicle....

wonder why they haven't gone for a variable valve timing design?

I'm about 95% sure the HFV6 from Holden does have variable valve timing and has had since its launch.

I know the base model 3.6 currently operating in the omega / berlina has it on the exhaust side and the 3.6 operating in the calais / sv6 has it both on the inlet and exhaust.

rjastra
5th August 2009, 09:21 AM
its 290 Nm not lb-ft (we use metric ;))

It's got VVT on inlet and exhaust cams and direct injection.
190kw from 3L is what BMW get out of their 3L I6 engine. So Holden's engine is right up their for output. It will also redline at 6700+rpm which is quite high.

The 3.6L unit in the SV6/Calais is close to the outputs of the 3.6L engine found in the Passat R36.

Vectracious
5th August 2009, 02:09 PM
I know the base model 3.6 currently operating in the omega / berlina has it on the exhaust side and the 3.6 operating in the calais / sv6 has it both on the inlet and exhaust.

Correct

The 3.6L unit in the SV6/Calais is close to the outputs of the 3.6L engine found in the Passat R36.

Pretty cool the way DI can bump up the figures - like when fuel injection first became common - the same engines were producing 20-30kW more overnight...

gmonkey
5th August 2009, 05:16 PM
cant wait for holden to put the stop/start tech in commonwhores... no more revving at the lights in nuetral! bahahah be great no more drone S-hit S-edans sitting at the lights droning out all noise everywhere... all because itll save you 1 liter of fuel each fill up :p