PDA

View Full Version : New MPS 3

Pages : [1] 2

TheOperator
4th August 2009, 09:39 AM
So who has seen it in the flesh, driven and / or laid down the cash for one? What's your opinion on it?

First one arrived last Friday (i work for a company that owns tons of dealerships across most brands among other things) and have to say it is nice :D

Drove it and is a massive leap forward over the old model, it's like night and day the difference ;)

I already had the option on the first one we got months ago as long as my Mrs liked it (as it is meant to be hers :cornut:)! Drives it in next day or so, so hopefully have it next week at latest :D

If not may have to consider letting go of my 09 SRI -T which i didn't want to do so have to think hard :confused:

GreyRex
4th August 2009, 09:49 AM
I sat in a new black one at a dealership recently. Thought I may as well have a look. This one had the bose and xenons

I'm sick of people going on about the front 'mouth'. On the base models it's a little over the top, but on the MPS I think it looks ok

I'd have to drive it to really say any more, but it all just seemed 'ok'. Nothing was really bad about it, other than the red/black plastic in and around the cabin; i thought those days were over!!

SSS_Hoon
4th August 2009, 10:05 AM
do they still have the top mount, or have they moved for a front mount now?

i dont mind the new shape actually not bad, but it aint no SSS that is for sure LOL....

SSS_Hoon

Neeko
4th August 2009, 10:21 AM
do they still have the top mount, or have they moved for a front mount now?

i dont mind the new shape actually not bad, but it aint no SSS that is for sure LOL....

SSS_Hoon

top mount ;)
definitely aint a barina either :rolleyes:

TheOperator
4th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah top mount, hence the scoop now rather than just a "power hump" ;)

Also has flared out guards and bigger rear wing than before!

Ice
4th August 2009, 12:23 PM
I like the the stock 3's come with Sat nav.....I felt like a doosh with my portable one, haha although he probably did too after i hosed him at the lights :)

Wraith
4th August 2009, 12:57 PM
So who has seen it in the flesh, driven and / or laid down the cash for one? What's your opinion on it?

First one arrived last Friday (i work for a company that owns tons of dealerships across most brands among other things) and have to say it is nice :D

Drove it and is a massive leap forward over the old model, it's like night and day the difference ;)

I already had the option on the first one we got months ago as long as my Mrs liked it (as it is meant to be hers :cornut:)! Drives it in next day or so, so hopefully have it next week at latest :D

If not may have to consider letting go of my 09 SRI -T which i didn't want to do so have to think hard :confused:

Funny you brought this thread up again...

I was actually at Mazda in Brighton last Sunday checking it out :)

They have 2, one in 'winning red' and the other in 'aluminium silver' - must say the aluminium silver colour looks HOT !!!

I love the standard features/kit on the car, it is the only Mazda 3 variant fitted with a smart keyless entry system and push button start...

I've booked in for a test drive in the coming weeks as soon as they get a spare demo in :)

O/A I'm still uncertain on the external looks but it is growing on me especially in the above mentioned colour :) agree with Miz. on the red/black interior trim - looks a bit naff, but not really a total turn off...

I'm curious as to how well it drives, as I'm familiar with the previous model...ask price is still a little high IMO for the luxury pack variant...

I believe Imay is also looking at one :)

Greg K
4th August 2009, 01:44 PM
i test drove one on the weekend... all i can say is WOW!!! Its a great car to drive... very refined and rounded compared to the older MPS. However, the older MPS had a rawness about it which was fantastic and the forgettable "sleeper" looks. The new MPS3 drives a lot better with taller gear ratios and handles pretty well, but is missing that edge the older model had.

The seating and ergonomics of the interior are IMO better than the previous model. Im not a huge fan of the red/black interior, but works well with the overall shape and colour of the car (the demo car was aluminium). The push button start and keyless entry features are pretty sweet too!

O/A, its an impressive package. Price "seems" to be high, however it is still cheaper than the older model when IT first came out...

TheOperator
4th August 2009, 01:52 PM
Funny you should mention the aluminium colour, thats the colour i'm hopefully getting all going to plan, i think it looks awesome :D

The drive if you are familiar is to me anyway a combination of RX8 and old MPS in other ways.

It does everything the RX8 does well as in handles very neutral until finding close the limit (which i will say is at stupid speeds) while having the brutal turbo rush of old without really torque steering. In fact the power delivery doesn't seem quite as brutal but a glance at the speedo will show its still just as rapid.

I'm going to make a big claim, but for me this is a much better allround vehicle than the GOLF GTi and R32 for less money.

My personal opinion with the model MPS is that i wouldnt waste my money on the luxury as the main differences before just aren't there now (i.e full leather v cloth trim, bose sound system v one that is still impressive for factory).

I'd spend my money on upgrades to performance and stance rather than 4K retail for luxury.

Lastly if the dealers want to make a sale keep this in mind, the base MPS costs them $33239 ex GST (i will keep holdback to myself so they make a bit ;))

Greg K
4th August 2009, 01:56 PM
the new MPS is quicker than the previous model (albeit not by much), but as you say, the older model did feel quicker!!

Oh and Aluminium is my fav colour too :) (out of the available colours)! I just wish Mazda brought them here in white!

gman
4th August 2009, 02:13 PM
the new MPS is quicker than the previous model (albeit not by much), but as you say, the older model did feel quicker!!

Oh and Aluminium is my fav colour too :) (out of the available colours)! I just wish Mazda brought them here in white!

Any pics of the Aluminium colour???

Greg K
4th August 2009, 02:37 PM
Aluminium MPS

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps2.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps3.jpg

Aluminium MPS with aftermarket lip kit

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps5.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps6.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps7.jpg

My fav colour

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/1983GregK/MPS/mps4.jpg

GreyRex
4th August 2009, 02:43 PM
You watch... the first update will include darkened tail lamps and black rear diffuser, almost the same as the previous shape.

Neeko
4th August 2009, 02:50 PM
oooh damn.... thats actually incredibly hot.
love the colour!

sooty
4th August 2009, 02:57 PM
Marmite car
*U...G...L...Y....you ain't got no alibi":lol:

gman
4th August 2009, 03:08 PM
NICE colour!!!! :thumbs:

rjastra
4th August 2009, 03:49 PM
It's only faster to 100km/h because there is one fewer gear change (longer gearing). The car weighs 50kg+ than the old model and now is heaviest in class.

Hideous styling....much worse than old model in my opinion.

DirtyHarry
4th August 2009, 04:09 PM
yeah i dont like the styling either.

Wraith
4th August 2009, 04:51 PM
Any pics of the Aluminium colour???

More pics of aluminium silver and full article :)

Note that the MPS 3 with luxury pack also gets clear front side repeaters - they look heaps better than the amber ones on the rest of the Mazda 3 range :)

Interior is superb o/a :)

http://www.caradvice.com.au/35640/mazda3-mps-first-steer/

Wraith
4th August 2009, 05:04 PM
Funny you should mention the aluminium colour, thats the colour i'm hopefully getting all going to plan, i think it looks awesome :D

The drive if you are familiar is to me anyway a combination of RX8 and old MPS in other ways.

It does everything the RX8 does well as in handles very neutral until finding close the limit (which i will say is at stupid speeds) while having the brutal turbo rush of old without really torque steering. In fact the power delivery doesn't seem quite as brutal but a glance at the speedo will show its still just as rapid.

I'm going to make a big claim, but for me this is a much better allround vehicle than the GOLF GTi and R32 for less money.

My personal opinion with the model MPS is that i wouldnt waste my money on the luxury as the main differences before just aren't there now (i.e full leather v cloth trim, bose sound system v one that is still impressive for factory).

I'd spend my money on upgrades to performance and stance rather than 4K retail for luxury.

Lastly if the dealers want to make a sale keep this in mind, the base MPS costs them $33239 ex GST (i will keep holdback to myself so they make a bit ;))

That may be a big statement - but you could be right ;)

We'll wait and see what reviewers think...

I'll be test driving one too as mentioned, but can't compare it to a Gti unless I drive one of those as well...

BTW it is a well regarded fact that the MPS3 is the best drive of any Mazda model, including RX8 and MPS6, not sure where the MX5 fits in though...

Aluminium is the colour IMHO for one of these, the 'indigo blue' looks ok as does white, but we won't get the white - maybe 2nd edition/series ?? but IMHO the aluminium looks better :)

rjastra
4th August 2009, 06:53 PM
more tests

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=64485&vf=2&pg=1&IsPgd=0

Luxury = xenons, bose, sensor wipers and rear view mirror

USC
4th August 2009, 06:56 PM
Hideous styling....much worse than old model in my opinion.

.....dunno about hideous mate....I think it looks hot!!!

Are you guys aware that this new MPS has actually gone down in price!! YES It has..and has more features!

bgr400
4th August 2009, 07:03 PM

Are you guys aware that this new MPS has actually gone down in price!! YES It has..and has more features!
Agreed, the new model looks awesome! Can't wait to drive it

Neeko
4th August 2009, 07:44 PM
Bose sound system isn't the greatest.

Wasn't happy with the system that was in the mazda that i tinted today. they may have updated the later one though.

Wraith
4th August 2009, 07:58 PM

Yep, your right, but it's only around 50-100 bucks less...:skep:

Still I agree, you get more car and a much improved and better interior and drive for a slightly less outlay than he previous model, definitely a good thing :)

Wraith
4th August 2009, 08:03 PM
Bose sound system isn't the greatest.

Wasn't happy with the system that was in the mazda that i tinted today. they may have updated the later one though.

Your right too !

It ain't the greatest, but it's not that bad either...certainly alot better than alot of other even more expensive car types factory stereo systems ;)

It packs around 240watts and features a sub amongst the 10 or so speakers...

Thing is Bose factory systems on other cars like Audis arn't the greatest either - but having heard both the Bose system in a new TTS and the Bose in the MPS 3 I may wrong or it may be the acoustics of the car, but the system in the Mazda sounded much better than that in the TTS...

Neeko
4th August 2009, 08:53 PM
i actually preferred the stereo in the stock mazda 6.

had 6x9s front and back... bose system didnt.

best sounds system i have ever heard was in my dads A5. i just went wow!
with a sub in every door you cant complain :cornut:
Bang & Olufsen FTW

Wraith
4th August 2009, 09:16 PM
i actually preferred the stereo in the stock mazda 6.

had 6x9s front and back... bose system didnt.

best sounds system i have ever heard was in my dads A5. i just went wow!
with a sub in every door you cant complain :cornut:
Bang & Olufsen FTW

The B&O is definitely better than Bose - at least the ones they're putting in cars anyway...

Audi are considering B&O across their whole range now, not just some of their models :)

Neeko
4th August 2009, 09:26 PM
The B&O is definitely better than Bose - at least the ones they're putting in cars anyway...

Audi are considering B&O across their whole range now, not just some of their models :)

good decision IMO.

back on topic, mazda 3 might be growing on me. I have actually had my own ideas about its smile. using either vinyl or painting it you could cut across the top 2 corners and give it an agressive look.

Wraith
4th August 2009, 09:35 PM
good decision IMO.

back on topic, mazda 3 might be growing on me. I have actually had my own ideas about its smile. using either vinyl or painting it you could cut across the top 2 corners and give it an agressive look.

Hmmm, already looks aggressive enough IMHO, I would be trying to tame it down/hide it a bit...

Mazda have achieved what they set out to do and ie. make it stand out more compared to the previous model being either too conservative or too similar looking to the rest of the Mazda 3 range...kudos on them, thing is the result is either one you like or hate, don't think there's any middle ground with this car, (looks wise) although I do think that if you like it a little it will definitely grow more on you and I suspect if people drive one, they'll fall for it despite reservations on its looks...:)

That's what happened to my mate who has the outgoing model, he test drove it, it blew him away and he bought one that same day...

He'd also test driven the Focus Xr5T and Golf Gti, but was undecided and not convinced on both of those, says alot about the outgoing MPS3 and this new one by the reviews so far is alot better - can't wait to test drive it myself :)

Wraith
6th August 2009, 01:12 PM
Few more pics of different colours...love the aluminium silver and the celestial blue looks nice too, for those who want to hide 'the lines' the black seems to do just that...

http://i25.tinypic.com/hrls41.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2qxbzo1.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/iegrhj.jpg

I've got a whole collection of pics at a very large size to get a very good idea of what the car looks like all over, but they'll take ages to load up...

Wraith
6th August 2009, 04:15 PM
For those interested, a very thorough and very favourable new MPS3 review...

Link:http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2009/small-passenger/mazda/mazda3/mazda3-mps-16036

Article:

words - Stephen Ottley
Mazda has applied lessons learned to its updated hot hatch

What we liked
>> Aggressive new styling
>> Well priced and equipped
>> So much power and torque

Not so much
>> Too much power and torque
>> Interior trim won't age well
>> Steering lacks feel at the limit

Overall rating: 3.0/5.0
Engine/Drivetrain/Chassis: 4.0/5.0
Price, Packaging and Practicality: 3.0/5.0
Safety: 3.0/5.0
Behind the wheel: 4.0/5.0
X-factor: 3.0/5.0

About our ratings

OVERVIEW
-- Once more with feeling
Mazda made quite an impact when it joined the hot hatch brigade back in 2006 with its first generation Mazda3 MPS (Mazda Performance Series). Its 2.3-litre turbo four-pot pumped out an amazing 190kW and 380Nm to put its rivals to shame.

Unfortunately, front-wheel drive Mazda couldn’t quite get all that grunt to the road as smoothly as the likes of the (45kW less muscular) Volkswagen Golf GTI and all-wheel-drive Subaru Impreza WRX. But as first efforts go, the 3 MPS was a worthy offering.

Now the Japanese company is back for another crack at setting the benchmark for hot hatches with the new generation model. A lot has changed since 2006 too. The Mazda3 has become one of Australia's most popular cars, Mazda has grown considerably and there are seemingly more hot hatch offerings than ever.

Indeed, competition hasn’t stood still -- the new Golf GTI set to touch down in Australia by the end of the year and an all-new megane RS is not that far away. That means the new 3 MPS needs to ramp up its real world skills without losing the appealing aspects of the out-going model.

With that in mind Mazda has taken a careful approach to the new model, focusing on improving the weak areas and leaving the strengths alone. That means the engine remains untouched but the chassis has been re-engineered, the gearbox tweaked and exterior re-styled.

Interestingly though, Mazda has set its expectations significantly lower for this model. While the company was aiming for 130 sales per month when it launched the previous generation in 2006, this time around it is after just 70 units. Perhaps it’s a sign of the times or some overly optimistic thinking first time around… More than anything, we reckon, it’s a sign of just how competitive the market for hot hatches has become.

PRICE AND EQUIPMENT
-- More gear, less money
As before Mazda is offering two grades for the MPS, a base and Luxury model. The basic model is priced from $39,690 (price guide not including statutory and government charges) and the Luxury starts at $43,290. Mazda says those prices represented a $300 and $400 saving over the previous generation.

Both models enjoy the same upgrades as the rest of the Mazda3 range. That means a new 4.1-inch colour information/navigation screen, Bluetooth connectivity, ambient temperature gauge and trip computer are all on the equipment list. And add to that dual-zone air-conditioning, cruise control, drilled aluminium pedals and footrest, auto headlights, leather wrapped steering wheel and gear shift, six-disc in-dash MP3/WMA-compatible CD player with AUX-in jack, eight-way adjustable driver's seat, power windows and mirrors, keyless entry and ignition and tilt and telescopic steering wheel adjustment.

Both versions feature combination leather/cloth seat surfaces. The extra money for the Luxury model, instead buys you auto dimming rear view mirror, auto bi-xenon headlights with Adaptive Front-lighting System, premium BOSE 10-speaker sound system and rain sensing front wipers.

MECHANICAL
-- Same power but more grip
Having decided that 190kW at 5500rpm and 380Nm from 3000rpm was enough, the Mazda engineers instead worked on transferring that performance to the road via the front tyres. However, they did manage to lower the fuel economy and emissions slightly. Combined fuel economy is down to 9.9L/100km from 10.0L and CO2 emissions have dropped three grams from 238g/km to 235. For the record, fuel tank capacity was also increased by five litres.

But the real crux of the changes are centered around the drivetrain, including changes to the chassis, gearbox, brakes, wheels and tyres, exhaust, driveshafts and suspension.

The chassis has been stiffened and reinforced around the front cowl. But while the body-in-white is lighter than the old model, additional equipment means it actually weighs in 50kg heavier.

Both the front and rear suspension has been overhauled. At the front the MacPherson strut layout now has a stronger crossmember made from stamped metal that allows for thicker cross-arm and crossmember bushings for increased lateral rigidity. The multi-link rear suspension also enjoys improved lateral rigidity courtesy of a revised centre member.

In order to improve corner stability and control the coil spring rates, both front and rear have been charged; the front is now softer while the rear is firmer. These work with improved dampers for further ride and handling improvements. Both front and rear stabiliser bars are thicker too, for flatter cornering.

Further improvements have been made to the ride and handling via new, larger tyres. Dunlop 225/40R18 rubber sits on 18-inch wheels, similar to the RX-8. In addition to being wider, the new tyres feature a more rigid sidewall to help improve responsiveness.

Braking has also been improved to cope with the increased performance. The front ventilated discs have been increased to 320mm in diameter, the sold rear discs measure 280mm.

In an admission the old model struggled with torque steer Mazda has stiffened the drive shafts in a bid to combat the problem.

The six-speed manual transmission is largely carried over but receives some important tweaks. The ratios have been widened to make better use of the car’s bountiful torque, while sixth gear has been altered to improve fuel economy at high speeds. The shift action has been improved thanks to new synchronizers on first, second, third and fourth gear.

PACKAGING
-- Forsaking subtly for aggression
Though the MPS features the same basic new look as the rest of the Mazda3 range (see original review), Mazda has taken steps to ramp-up the aggression of the new hot 3.

Mazda’s decision to take a conservative approach to the styling of the first generation MPS wasn’t universally well received. In the latest version the designers have added a large WRX-style bonnet scoop, new front quarter panel and bumper, areo-style side skirts, reprofiled rear bumper and larger rear wing.

Inside there are all the usual hot hatch treatment with leather/cloth sports seats, sports pedals and leather steering wheel and gearshift trim. Once again, the MPS benefits from the upgrades to the new generation model 3 including the swoopy new dash with integrated satnav screen.

In keeping with its ‘Zoom-Zoom’ philosophy, the dash now includes a turbo boost gauge between the large round speedo and tacho. Mazda claims it “heightens the car’s high-performance feel” and while it’s a nice touch it’s hard to notice when driving.

The biggest disappointment with the interior is the patterned trim used on the seats, doors and dash. The red dots on a black background does nothing to improve the looks and will almost certainly date quickly. What ever happened to good old fashioned aluminium and perforated sports leather, eh Mazda?

SAFETY
-- All the usual acronyms
Both the active and passive safety features of the Mazda3 range are carried over to the MPS. That means Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA).

The Mazda engineers have tweaked the DSC system specifically for the MPS and true to its performance name the system can be switched off to allow an unadulterated flow of power. Fair warning, though, with all that grunt under the bonnet you’ll need to be both confident and skillful to turn DSC off.

Passively there are six-airbags (front drive and passenger, front side and front and rear curtain), and active head restraints in addition to the usual safety structures and crumple zones built into the chassis.

COMPETITORS
-- No shortage of opposition
As mentioned above, there is plenty of competition in the hot hatch segment from both Japan and Europe. While the battle is close, the VW Golf GTI is widely held to rule the roost, despite its power deficit, and a new, more advanced model is due before Christmas.

In addition to the VW the MPS has to fend of challenges from fellow front-wheel drivers the Renault Megane RS Cup, Skoda Ocatvia RS, Honda Civic Type R and Ford Focus XR5. And given price and performance the Subaru Impreza WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart must also be considered. They have similar levels of power and torque but, more importantly, have the advantage of all-wheel drive traction.

ON THE ROAD
-- Does power corrupt?
Torque steer was the biggest handicap of the first generation 3 MPS and despite the company’s best efforts it remains an issue. In fairness to Mazda, it has done a great job minimising it on the new model. It remains to be seen if any manufacturer can transmit 190kW and 380Nm through the front-wheels any more efficiently.

In many ways the biggest problem with the Mazda3 MPS is the engine, or more precisely just how good the engine is. Mazda’s ability to extract so much performance from the 2.3-litre four-pot is very impressive. It enjoys a great combination of low-end torque and high-end power to give an uninterrupted delivery of power. And the midrange performance is nothing short of astonishing, with Mazda claiming real-world testing has shown the car to be quicker accelerating from 80-120km/h in third, fourth and fifth gears than a Porsche 911 Carrera or BMW M3.

So trying to get that amount of power to the road through wheels that are turning, braking and absorbing bumps was always going to be a difficult task. But it is the only major disappointment on an otherwise impressive offering.

The gearbox is hard to fault with a good action, feel and throw and the brakes are strong and consistent. Suspension is well sorted, firm without being harsh. On the downside while the steering is direct it does lacks feel and feedback, just like the regular Mazda3.

Pushing the MPS to the limit around a track (a former driver training facility just outside Canberra) the car impressed with its abilities but to get the most out of it required a delicate touch. Unlike the less powerful VW Golf GTI that can be grabbed by the scruff of the neck, the Mazda demands more respect to get the most out of it.

Under brakes the car remains stable, the turn-in is sharp and the mid-corner grip is strong but corner exit is where the MPS needs special attention. Push the right pedal too hard or too soon and the DSC will kick-in and lead to understeer. While it’s true that any car will react badly if you mash the throttle, against its rivals like the Golf GTI, WRX and Ralliart, the MPS is left wanting.

Once it’s straight though and you can get on the power the MPS wants for nothing. It is brilliantly quick point-to-point thanks to that brilliant engine. It’s so impressive in this respect that you can forgive the torque steer and the steering complaints.

While it may be harder to drive on the limit than some of its rivals, that may not be a negative for a lot of drivers -- the better you drive the more the MPS rewards you. And the rewards are well worth the hard work.

JohnBu
6th August 2009, 05:03 PM
review appears to be similar to the old one..

more powerful, but not as composed as its rivals, namely GTI, XR5 & Megane.

I suppose thats what happens when you try and cram 190kW through the front wheels.

having said that, I wouldn't mind own one of these, however all reports say the GTI is still the better all round car. I'm not saying it just because I also own a GTI.. haha

I will ECU tune my GTI shortly, but not convinced it will make it a better car like it did with my SRiT...

The GTI will need some suspension work to make use of the power, as it's already struggles putting down the power when going 8/10s through corners.. extra power will make it even worse...

Lets hope the MPS3 has reduced their real world fuel consumption compared to the old model.

Wraith
7th August 2009, 09:02 AM
review appears to be similar to the old one..

more powerful, but not as composed as its rivals, namely GTI, XR5 & Megane.

I suppose thats what happens when you try and cram 190kW through the front wheels.

having said that, I wouldn't mind own one of these, however all reports say the GTI is still the better all round car. I'm not saying it just because I also own a GTI.. haha

I will ECU tune my GTI shortly, but not convinced it will make it a better car like it did with my SRiT...

The GTI will need some suspension work to make use of the power, as it's already struggles putting down the power when going 8/10s through corners.. extra power will make it even worse...

Lets hope the MPS3 has reduced their real world fuel consumption compared to the old model.

Agree John...

My concern if I were to be seriously looking at one of these is its fuel burn as I'd be driving it daily, mate of mine with the outgoing model always complains about that side of it, but he does flog it all the time...that though is his only complaint, otherwise he absolutely loves the thing :)

He too like most other owners can't understand what all the fuss is about the torque steer issue...according to reviews so far, this new MPS3 is much better off in this regard, so I doubt most end uses would find any complaints...

Lets wait and see how the VW Scirocco R with 200kw and 350nm and FWD compares...it's only a matter of time before other FWD hot hatches etc. are at similar power and torque levels and I doubt they're all going to adopt the 'Revoknuckle' setup ;)

I just keep thinking of one of these new MPS3's with a quick remap to 225kw and 440nm, imagine its already impressive in gear acceleration with that little added extra, just take it easy on the corners :cornut:

GreyRex
7th August 2009, 09:12 AM
Agree John...

My concern if I were to be seriously looking at one of these is its fuel burn as I'd be driving it daily, mate of mine with the outgoing model always complains about that side of it, but he does flog it all the time...that though is his only complaint, otherwise he absolutely loves the thing :)

He too like most other owners can't understand what all the fuss is about the torque steer issue...according to reviews so far, this new MPS3 is much better off in this regard, so I doubt most end uses would find any complaints...

Lets wait and see how the VW Scirocco R with 200kw and 350nm and FWD compares...it's only a matter of time before other FWD hot hatches etc. are at similar power and torque levels and I doubt they're all going to adopt the 'Revoknuckle' setup ;)

I just keep thinking of one of these new MPS3's with a quick remap to 225kw and 440nm, imagine its already impressive in gear acceleration with that little added extra, just take it easy on the corners :cornut:

If you're not seriously looking, why would you take one for a drive?

Neeko
7th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Agree John...

And that's already at 6.1seconds 0-100. With a rear wheel drive setup and same power figures at the rear wheels it'd launch right into the 5 seconds.

This thing would already have quite impressive in gear acceleration as is.:cool:

rjastra
7th August 2009, 10:35 AM

3 out of 5 is not a very good overall rating at all.... I don't really think Mazda "get" performance cars. All current ones (MPS6, MPS3, RX8) have all seemed to missed the mark in at least one important area. Even with the MX5 they have been dishing up the same meal for the last 20yrs and have never really ever gave it any serious performance.

Neeko
7th August 2009, 10:37 AM

3 out of 5 is not a very good overall rating at all.... I don't really think Mazda "get" performance cars. All current ones (MPS6, MPS3, RX8) have all seemed to missed the mark in at least one important area. Even with the MX5 they have been dishing up the same meal for the last 20yrs and have never really ever gave it any serious performance.

where are those ratings from?

GreyRex
7th August 2009, 10:42 AM

The review above ^^^^

Wraith
7th August 2009, 11:33 AM
If you're not seriously looking, why would you take one for a drive?

Why not ???

As always, for the simple curiosity and love of cars in general...why not try and test drive all types of cars that 'can be' accessed that are of interest to you if your a car buff ??

You may be in the market for one, you may be comparing or you may just want to try one out...at least then you can make a judgement call or factual opinion on a certain type yourself if it comes up in conversation :)

Remember it's no skin off the dealers noses, that's what they're there for :)

Wraith
7th August 2009, 11:38 AM
This thing would already have quite impressive in gear acceleration as is.:cool:

It does...

Did you read the part in that literature which states Mazdas claim that in gear acceleration from 80-120km/h in 3rd, 4th and 5th is quicker than a Porker 911 or M3 :eek:

And who could resist adding to that as nearly all of us do with a least a software upgrade :)

Wraith
7th August 2009, 11:46 AM

Read the long article in my post above Neeko, it's a Carsales.com.au review, authors name is there... :)

Interesting how he states one of the things he liked = "so much power and torque"

Then one of the things disliked = "too much power and torque" LOL :lol:

Must be that ever talked about torque steer issue...I think we all know that in at least 90% of everyday driving conditions, it won't be a problem (we can all relate to it in 'some' ways with our turbo Astras) most of the time on roads is spent driving in a straight line and not taking corners like your on a race track...review above does state that it seems to handle well at the limit which on public roads you'd never reach anyway :)

Wraith
7th August 2009, 12:03 PM

I think and I do say 'I think' Mazda are leaving that (ie. the 'get' part)to a new future RX7 ;)

Anybody can think what they want of the above offerings from Mazda, I agree they ain't epic, but they do offer good to very good substance and value for money o/a and do have 'some' class leading points in all of the above mentioned models...they are far from next to useless...

They are certainly more than competitive to anything we have from Opel/GMH...;)

rjastra
7th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Inext to useless...

They are certainly more than competitive to anything we have from Opel/GMH...;)

Some of GMs products

Chevy Cobalt SS > MPS3
Solstice turbo > MX5. It was even outselling the MX5 NC in the USA. ;)

new RX7? lol.... how many times has that been reported on. Nissan are on the 2nd gen 370Z and still nothing from Mazda.

DirtyHarry
7th August 2009, 01:29 PM
**** yeah

Hackstra
7th August 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not massive on it, but i sspose it takes a while for cars to "grow on me" EG: 2008 WRX. The aluminium colour is very different, looks like they forgot to paint it. I'll check back in here in 2 months and it'll have grown on me for sure

btm
7th August 2009, 02:39 PM
still has ridiculously ugly lines imo

Hackstra
7th August 2009, 02:49 PM
still has ridiculously ugly lines imo

Yeah true, bit 'out there'. But i sspose the same could be said about the new integra

Wraith
7th August 2009, 03:04 PM
Some of GMs products

Chevy Cobalt SS > MPS3
Solstice turbo > MX5. It was even outselling the MX5 NC in the USA. ;)

new RX7? lol.... how many times has that been reported on. Nissan are on the 2nd gen 370Z and still nothing from Mazda.

Ah yes, but where are those cars in Oz. ???

I should have been more specific, Opel/GMH cars available to us here :)

BTW Chevy Cobalt IMHO = plain/boring to look at, just my opinion...excellent running gear though...

I too wouldn't hold my breath on a new RX7, but never say never...;)

Wraith
7th August 2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not massive on it, but i sspose it takes a while for cars to "grow on me" EG: 2008 WRX. The aluminium colour is very different, looks like they forgot to paint it. I'll check back in here in 2 months and it'll have grown on me for sure

You need to see it in the flesh...it does look bland in pics :)

When I checked it out last weekend, it was both in overcast and under sunlight conditions - looked great in the shade and when the sun hit it, the metallic flakes really stood out, very nice colour :)

Don't think there's any middle ground with the new Mazda 3 range design, you either like it or not...the front end still dosn't sit well with me, although it is growing on me depending on the colour of the car...

What I like about this new MPS3 is the total value for money package you get, it's packed with features/kit and performance and is at a decent quality level for a very competitive ask price :)

TheOperator
7th August 2009, 04:33 PM
What I like about this new MPS3 is the total value for money package you get, it's packed with features/kit and performance and is at a decent quality level for a very competitive ask price :)

That was exactly what i was getting at originally when i made the claim it was better than the current Golf Gti and R32, dollar for dollar and what you get its not even close ;) However that could change with new GTi!

The reviewer on the other hand seemed to be up and down and all over the place and for me one of the worst reviews i have seen in some time. For example, is it only me but if you are buying a true Hot Hatch (FWD) you wouldn't even be considering a WRX or Ralliart Lancer, so why even mention them :rolleyes:

As Wraith i think mentioned why say you line the Power and Torque then on next like say you don't :rolleyes:

I'm not a Golf hater but it really seemed like he owned one and didn't want to admit this is in same league or better! The only thing that makes the Golf impressive is the DSG box but for the massive extra cost doesn't get my vote ;)

rjastra
7th August 2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not a Golf hater but it really seemed like he owned one and didn't want to admit this is in same league or better! The only thing that makes the Golf impressive is the DSG box but for the massive extra cost doesn't get my vote ;)

What's the "massive" extra cost? The Golf GTI is of a similar price to a MPS3.

USC
7th August 2009, 08:46 PM
The interior of the golf is nicely built. but the quality on the exterior is not great.
Golf are also full of weird problems (as reported by a mate who owns one)..wiper stop working for no reason, then starts again etc..

DSG is a great box but how long will it last?

What is impressive with golfs is fuel economy...especially on the gti.

dieselhead
7th August 2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry guys, but I can't see a Mazda stirring any passion in me, regardless how much torque and power the MPS might have... I believe that when you are looking to buy a hot hatch and you want it so much that you part with $40k +, looks and badge plays an important role, along with performance and handling. If it wasn't so, we'd be all driving second hand Imprezas and that would be the end of it :D

Goes without saying that 3 MPS is tremendous value for money. Having said that, would I pay $10k extra for a Focus RS or a Scirocco R? Yes, yes I would!

USC
7th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Having said that, would I pay $10k extra for a Focus RS or a Scirocco R? Yes, yes I would!

then, you are a sad sad man...

Focus RS looks hideous. Scirocco looks ok - but they are the sort of cars where parts would be very hard to source in australia.

dieselhead
7th August 2009, 11:18 PM
You have to source the whole car first, none of the two being available here yet. RS hideous? Come on, I would admit is pretty, well, porn, but not hideous.
A brilliant alternative to the MPS would be the Golf GTI Pirelli. With a $2k remap from APR you get 229 kW in a car that's way classier and just as fast.

rjastra
8th August 2009, 10:54 AM
A brilliant alternative to the MPS would be the Golf GTI Pirelli. With a $2k remap from APR you get 229 kW in a car that's way classier and just as fast.

Yes... it has the detuned S3 engine. So can take a large power increase.
Actually a 1-2yr old S3 would make a better hot hatch than a new MPS3.

USC
8th August 2009, 09:29 PM
Yes... it has the detuned S3 engine. So can take a large power increase.
Actually a 1-2yr old S3 would make a better hot hatch than a new MPS3.

seems like you are really against the mazda or any japanese car...:confused:

I would buy a corolla ascent over an s3:p

Red AH SRI T
8th August 2009, 09:48 PM
the new MPS is FUGLY! Just look at this pic

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2009_geneva_2010_mazda3_mps_image_003.jpg

How much plastic do they wanna whack on the front of it?

VILE!

HIDEOUS!!

*VOMIT*

USC
8th August 2009, 11:44 PM

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2009_geneva_2010_mazda3_mps_image_003.jpg

VILE!

HIDEOUS!!

*VOMIT*

LOL....cars these days are not the same as they used to be...so much plastic I agree...and cheap yacky silver paint inside......at least the MPS does not have much inside.

gmonkey
9th August 2009, 12:58 AM
ugliest car ive seen EVER!

Wraith
9th August 2009, 10:51 PM

VILE!

HIDEOUS!!

*VOMIT*

That is very awkward angle and it does make it look very ungainly...suppose even with a totally good looking car, you'd be able to find an angle that'd make it look not so good, like I've done on many an occaision with my Calibra ;)

From many other different frontal viewpoints it looks alot better, check out some of the pics in the links on the previous pages and in real life it's not that bad :)

I'm starting to see more and more new Mazda 3's on the road each week, so I think it's fair to say it's new looks have been recieved well...the SP25 sedan is a real good looker IMO :)

With regards to this new MPS 3 each to their own, like it or not, no one could dispute that it's one very good to excellent overall piece of kit, at a very good to excellent driveaway price (on my 2nd check out visit yesterday, I was able to get $45,900 driveaway for the full spec luxury model after only 5 minutes of negotiating) lets see anyone try and get anywhere close to that for a full spec new Mk6 GTi when it comes out or the dreamers that still think they'll get an RS Focus for anywhere under 60k driveaway and that's ' if ' it ever comes here...as far as I'm concerned if I were to go to that price point, I wouldn't even look at an RS Focus, for that coin I'd seriously consider an Sti or Evo, both overshadow the RS Focus and both have heaps more potential in terms of performance if that's what the main consideration is in that category...

IMHO the only other hot hatch out there that's worth considering against the MPS 3 is the XR5T Focus at 42k driveaway, but which was available not long ago at just $32,900-$33,200 driveaway - none left now at that deal (maybe Ford will do it again ??) at that price it was the best thing going in our local hot hatch World...

I'll bet that if anyone here actually went to look at an MPS 3 in the flesh and even check it out all over they'd see it isn't that bad at all, take it for a drive and it'll leave you thinking twice about whether or not to buy one, I guarantee you as I found out yesterday, it is a very tempting car...:)

It's no Audi S3 that's for sure, but at a fraction of the comparison new car cost it shines, sorry but I just ain't interested in someone elses ex thrashed S/H 1 or 2 year old Audi S3 or whatever else, if I was buying that sort of car, I'd want it brand new and an S3 at 72k or more just dosn't cut it at all for me, nor would any hatch/station wagon for that kind of money, a sleek coupe different story...;)

mania
10th August 2009, 01:45 AM
I'm sorry I can't refrain from posting any longer... imo, in all variants, it's amongst the worst looking cars on the road. It's selling well - but much like the Nissan Micra, I'll never understand why/how. I can only put it down to handbag appeal, or some other factor that I just don't get.

Technically, I'm sure it's a brilliant car. Price/performance likewise. But I just don't get it..

Btw, on trying to find more pictures of the mps to form my judgement (I've only seen one in the wild), I stumbled across this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3322265391_5aee21bbe3.jpg?v=0

I almost prefer it :p

Each to their own though :)

gmonkey
10th August 2009, 01:49 AM
i preffer it lol

ya only know it looks like a sad face this way because you know its a parody to the original, but i bet if they released it that way you wouldnt notice it as much :p

mania
10th August 2009, 02:03 AM
Actually, looking at more pics, I think I have to say it's only the red that I absolutely detest. It seems to bring the smile out. Silver on the first page actually hides it reasonably well think..

Wraith
10th August 2009, 09:11 AM
Actually, looking at more pics, I think I have to say it's only the red that I absolutely detest. It seems to bring the smile out. Silver on the first page actually hides it reasonably well think..

That's correct...I too thought the same thing after seeing the 1st one in the metal earlier this year at the int. motor show, it was in the winning red colour and made me lose interest as well, very different story with the other 3 colours on offer :)

You have to see them in the metal for an accurate picture, but it does depend alot on the colour of this thing, I've seen one in black and both the smiley front and bonnet intake are almost hidden in that colour...

In aluminium silver it blends in well, in celestial blue it stands out but looks nicer than the winning red duco...

That photochop above with reverse smile reminds me a bit of a new Fiestas LOL...

mania
10th August 2009, 10:41 AM
Haha it does actually!

Your thoughts on colours sound the same to mine. If it was only released in Black, nobody would have noticed it. Just like how I didn't notice that Peugoets look like Baleen smiles until I saw a new mazda 3 in red. White and Blue both show it quite a lot, but it's not as car-breaking as in red. Silver is the go I think :).

lithium
10th August 2009, 10:57 AM
rofl at the frowning :mad: MPS3! hahaha that's gold :D
the styling is definitely polarising. personally, if i wasn't getting a bit sick of powerful front drivers, i'd buy it solely for the bang-for-buck performance and not for the looks...it's not a bloody handbag after all. plus you can't see the outside of the car when you are driving it!

rjastra
10th August 2009, 11:19 AM
it's not a bloody handbag after all. plus you can't see the outside of the car when you are driving it!

But you can see the hideous 1980s inspired red trim ;)

gmonkey
10th August 2009, 11:19 AM
gimme a ralliart sportback for cheaper anyday or a xr5 or a gti for that little bit more over this! (if your spending that much money on a brand new car you dont want a car you can drive and go "geez i look like a tard in this smiling peice of plastic"

only positive i can think of it is the fact it will be most commonwhore drivers that will bag you out for it and well, all they will see of this car is the boot and its the back of the car that is hot! :p

JohnBu
10th August 2009, 12:16 PM
With regards to this new MPS 3 each to their own, like it or not, no one could dispute that it's one very good to excellent overall piece of kit, at a very good to excellent driveaway price (on my 2nd check out visit yesterday, I was able to get $45,900 driveaway for the full spec luxury model after only 5 minutes of negotiating) lets see anyone try and get anywhere close to that for a full spec new Mk6 GTi when it comes out

so what was your opinion for the car?

$46k driveaway is alittle expensive I think.

I would like the option of full leather.

So what price did you offer them, and at what price would you pay for one?

GTI will be prob be $48k for manual, non leather, standard 5 door when it first comes out.

I was going to wait for the Mk6 GTI about 6 months ago when I got the Mk5, but didn't like my chances of picking up a reasonably priced Mk6 when it first came up without going on a 6+ month waiting list.

The supply vs demand curve worked against me. It should work in your favour with the MPS3

Wraith
10th August 2009, 12:31 PM
plus you can't see the outside of the car when you are driving it!

That's very good point and it's exactly what I was thinking when I drove one on the weekend, it's a car that keeps the driver entertained, it's beautifully powerful and smooth and the way the dash cluster looks and lights up with a central digital display of the turbo boost is a very nice touch, I found myself looking at the dials more than not, they're just so nice, the gear level is also located perfectly, not too far over to the left, or forward or too low like it is in many other cars, making for easier manual trans driving when conditions become more demanding :)

Agree with rj on the interior colour, but in my view I'm only bothered by it on the 2 dash trims, IMO it works quite well on the door cards and seat inserts, the 2 dash trims can be replaced anyway with a couple of trims from the SP25's spare parts bin and then the entire dash will look a whole lot smarter with matching silver trims, that's what I'd do with one of these...:)

Wraith
10th August 2009, 12:38 PM
gimme a ralliart sportback for cheaper anyday or a xr5 or a gti for that little bit more over this! (if your spending that much money on a brand new car you dont want a car you can drive and go "geez i look like a tard in this smiling peice of plastic"

only positive i can think of it is the fact it will be most commonwhore drivers that will bag you out for it and well, all they will see of this car is the boot and its the back of the car that is hot! :p

Each to their own, I certainly don't feel that way and there are many others on here as well as well as out there that like it :)

You are right with the other visual kews on this thing though, the rear is ok and fully side on, this new MPS 3 has a very attractive profile...

The pics on the 1st page with an aftermarket lip kit fitted to front rear and sides also seems to be a decent looks enhancer :)

Ralliart Lancer and new MY09 WRX are definitely also worth considering as they are almost in the same price point...all comes down to a personal choice and exactly what one needs or wants to achieve with the car they decide on in the end...

As stated earlier an XR5T when they were on special earlier this year is by far the best choice in this category, despite any short comings for around 33k driveaway no one could complain !!!

lithium
10th August 2009, 12:56 PM
That's very good point and it's exactly what I was thinking when I drove one on the weekend, it's a car that keeps the driver entertained, it's beautifully powerful and smooth and the way the dash cluster looks and lights up with a central digital display of the turbo boost is a very nice touch, I found myself looking at the dials more than not, they're just so nice, the gear level is also located perfectly, not too far over to the left, or forward or too low like it is in many other cars, making for easier manual trans driving when conditions become more demanding :)

Agree with rj on the interior colour, but in my view I'm only bothered by it on the 2 dash trims, IMO it works quite well on the door cards and seat inserts, the 2 dash trims can be replaced anyway with a couple of trims from the SP25's spare parts bin and then the entire dash will look a whole lot smarter with matching silver trims, that's what I'd do with one of these...:)

oh you've driven it! what are your impressions? is it a bit of a handful with the much discussed excessive torque through the front wheels?

Wraith
10th August 2009, 01:08 PM
so what was your opinion for the car?

$46k driveaway is alittle expensive I think.

I would like the option of full leather.

So what price did you offer them, and at what price would you pay for one?

GTI will be prob be $48k for manual, non leather, standard 5 door when it first comes out.

I was going to wait for the Mk6 GTI about 6 months ago when I got the Mk5, but didn't like my chances of picking up a reasonably priced Mk6 when it first came up without going on a 6+ month waiting list.

The supply vs demand curve worked against me. It should work in your favour with the MPS3

I havn't written up a full description yet John, because I only got my hands on one for about 10mins. took it round the block a few times (Essendon Airport area) and got it up to 90km/h...reason was because they only had one MPS 3 there (in celestial blue) and it was booked out for the whole day for prespective buyers to test drive, I managed to 'squeeze in' the quick fang whilst they were waiting for the next customer to show up, I'm booked in for a test drive at Mazda in Brighton, but am still waiting to hear from them as to when they can fit me in...I'm telling you this thing is hot popular ATM, the bloke who came in and took it for a 40min test drive before me had a 2 year old Honda Accord Euro, when he got back he filled up the paperwork and traded up the Accord...

What I can attest to so far is that it feels and drives very smoothly and the power is intoxicating even though I didn't get a chance to open right up...I've only ridden shotgun in the outgoing model, but could instantly tell this new one is far smoother and also seemed more responsive, the interior in terms of the dash dials and gear level works extremely well, can't comment on the Bose sound system, didn't fire it up - but was surprised to see the subwoofer is a part of the spare wheel hold down assembly...I didn't know that one LOL...

If I were to compare it to say an Audi TTS, just from a performance perspective only, it feels stronger, but not as quick, probably in part to the DSG on the Audi, it actually felt as strong when taking off as the BMW 135i I test drove bur that 2 was an auto with the 6spd. steptronic, both the TTS and BMW seemed to build up speed a little quicker, but the o/a seat of the pants feel behind the wheel is just as entertaining and the dials red/blue light up with white needles are a delight to look at, I'll have a much better idea when I get the chance to give it a longer more thorough drive...

The 45.9k driveaway price I got is very good IMO from a comparison point of view, ie. what else you can get out there for a similar price, all things considered, it is most definitely not in the league of the aforementioned TTS or 135i BUT at half or less than half the price it most certainly is more than at least half as good...if that makes sense :)

The interior seat leather/cloth inserts is an individual choice and is actually something I prefer for a daily driver...the SP25 luxury model is full leather...I like it that way because full leather is too cold in winter and too hot in summer and when it begins to wear (as they all do) it looks and feels totally crappy - so not my choice of interior for a daily driver...

I'm not at any final conclusion or decision on one, BUT if I did want one, I'd try to get down to 45k (ie. for the full features luxury pack) driveaway (not sure if that's possible ATM as the interest and uptake is high) but all things considered I feel that's a very good amount to pay for what you get :)

You could get the normal package model for just under 43k driveaway if you tried and I'm sure alot people would be more than happy with that...

For me though, I'd want the full kit :) one thing I don't like is you can't get a sunroof on the new Mazda 3 hatch (all models) but you can on the sedans, at least that saves one spending another 2k though LOL...

Oh and yeh, wait time is not too bad on one of these, Mazda Aust. are able to get em in pretty quick from the land of the rising sun, expected ETA on new orders is only 4-6 weeks, it took twice as long as that for me to recieve a locally produced HSV LOL :)

Wraith
10th August 2009, 01:24 PM
oh you've driven it! what are your impressions? is it a bit of a handful with the much discussed excessive torque through the front wheels?

So far can only give a description as above/previous page - hope that helps for the moment :)

I'd say the Operator could possibly shed more light and I'll have to get in touch with fellow member 'Imay' in S.A to see if he's test driven it yet, I believe he too may have been interested in exporing it further as I'm doing :)

TheOperator
10th August 2009, 03:00 PM
Thought i'd throw some light on the torque steer question.

I have driven new MPS several times now at length and i have to say for a FWD car with that much power torque steer is so close to non-existent i really found it to be a non issue ;)

Anyone that has driven the old car would know how "violent" the power delivery was and this is what caused the car to try to swap lanes when really giving it some curry! My best example so you can see what i'm saying is entering a 2 lane roundabout on a bypass which has a sign posted speed of 90km/h with no one around at sign posted speed in 3rd then powering out of roundabout and having wheel spin and fighting the front wheels all the way to 140km/h.

Car was fast but even on track i found myself feathering the throttle much like 500+hp Series 7 Rx7s i drove on same track to keep it under control.

Now with the new car i couldn't find this problem. Yes it had some very minor torque steer but nothing a very quick minor flick of the wrists didn't fix and powered on nicely.

With same example as above in 3rd there was no violent wheel spin, just quick flick of wrists and car gripped and took off out of roundabout to well past 160km/h at same point.

I've found out that the new MPS is significantly faster than old one round Nurburgring and think that when i get a chance at the track in one soon (Mazda Corporate drive day) i'm going to find out the same thing and kill my old MPS 3 time round Oran Park.

Too all the knockers, go drive one and you will forget what it looks like and realise that it is a bargain for total package.

DirtyHarry
10th August 2009, 03:17 PM
well i guess no one is disputing that the car puts a "SMILE" on your face...and also the car.

Wraith
10th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Interesting Operator, as what you've described above is pretty much exactly what I've hinted on as well with my short burst in one so far, ie. it's alot smoother than the old one (based on only my experience riding shotgun on the outgoing model) but was just as fast if not faster and certainly felt very strong from the seat of the pants perspective...

I too think most people who don't like it 'may' change their mind after seeing it in the metal, just checking out its look up close and checking out the features without even taking it for a drive, afterall we all know by now the MPS 3 packs decent performance...

dug74
10th August 2009, 06:42 PM
Well as an owner of the old 3MPS for over 2.5yrs now...

I have driven the new 3MPS..as our club was invited to the official opening and track day on the 21st July in canberra.

I have also done 2 test drives on the road at dealerships...1 by myself :D

Anyways...

I personally dont like it....i prefer the *brutal* animal that my car has....not the refined feel....why would i want a fast camry.

Also...the front end....its horrible..

Rear....boot button right in the middle (yuk) also the remote button in the rear tail light. (yuk)

The interior...well sat nav and a few other trinkets are nice...if you like gadgets.

Too many buttons for my liking....and the steering wheel has buttons everywhere.

Now...the drive...well it was very nice to drive and gets to speed well, handling is a little better than previous model.

As for speed....old and new model both do 0 - 100 in 6.1 secs...so its not faster.

The way it does this....its 60kgs heavier...but due to different gear ratios you dont need to do 2nd to 3rd...so its on par with previous model.

Also it gets off the mark better....more traction due to different LSD.

Now for colours

Aluminium Metallic
Black Mica
Celestial Blue Mica
Velocity Red Mica

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/armthehomeless/aluminium.JPG
http://www.ozmpsclub.com/armthehomeless/blackmica.JPG
http://www.ozmpsclub.com/armthehomeless/cellestialblue.JPG
http://www.ozmpsclub.com/armthehomeless/velocityred.JPG

Celestrial blue is a nice colour, but I could live with seeing that in my garage everyday.

Velocity Red is hot at night....horrible in the sunlight...it looks orange.

Black...well its black and I personally dont like it...as it makes the plastic stand out more.

Aluminium Metallic...best colour of the lot and would be my choice and I hate silver cars.

The red/black trim inside looks rather cheap..but a nice trick is to ask them to replace it with the SP25 trim...its brushed aluminium.

Now....i dont like the mailbox on the bonnet as its no longer a sleeper and it screams RICE...WRX.

Price is actually cheaper than previous model and the luxury pack gets 10 speaker BOSE with sub, bi-xenon lights, and also adaptive front lights (15 degree).

The difference if your looking is rather simple...Luxury only has 1 headlight and no yellow/orange around the headlamp, std model has 2 headlights (high/low beam halogen)

Will i do the upgrade.....NO

Most current 3MPS owners wont upgrade as its the same engine and power under a different skin and doesnt justify the 20K required to get into it.

Will wait for the series 2 model...hopefully they will drop the blue and bring white.

Now for official videos and pictures from the Official Drive day back on the 21st July at Sutton Park

959AVO4TE6g

CUD-PN-Skps

6NYGLndrTvQ

For those who wished it came in white...

hpnssntGrt0

dug74
10th August 2009, 06:43 PM
More Targa car pics:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/3747554111_7c92f51b18_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/3748364766_04b5b8db89_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2517/3747581643_f6a0a21a9e_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3748376130_249370a17f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/3747563849_62af25ccf1_b.jpg

That's what you call soft......
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/3748359212_7ef47cd711_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3747558433_6d9bbbf100_b.jpg

dieselhead
10th August 2009, 08:19 PM
With regards to this new MPS 3 each to their own, like it or not, no one could dispute that it's one very good to excellent overall piece of kit, at a very good to excellent driveaway price (on my 2nd check out visit yesterday, I was able to get $45,900 driveaway for the full spec luxury model after only 5 minutes of negotiating) lets see anyone try and get anywhere close to that for a full spec new Mk6 GTi when it comes out or the dreamers that still think they'll get an RS Focus for anywhere under 60k driveaway and that's ' if ' it ever comes here...

IMHO the only other hot hatch out there that's worth considering against the MPS 3 is the XR5T Focus at 42k driveaway, but which was available not long ago at just $32,900-$33,200 driveaway - none left now at that deal (maybe Ford will do it again ??) at that price it was the best thing going in our local hot hatch World...

Just check carpoint.com.au or casales.com.au, you will find a few Golf GTI Pirelli at about $46k drive away-no more to pay ;) I said that before, a $2k APR remap takes that engine to 229 kW. Combined with a 1,360kg car, DSG gearbox and traditional GTI handling, that is one explosive combination, the best hot hatch you can buy this side of $50k. A perfect sleeper, too-who would believe looking at it that is a 5.5 seconds to 100 km/h car?!
Oh, do I have to mention that GTI's interior is 3-4 leagues above anything that Mazda can do?

I'm giving up waiting for the RS, here's hope I'll find a Pirelli in January when the lease on my CDTi is up.

USC
10th August 2009, 11:23 PM
Just check carpoint.com.au or casales.com.au, you will find a few Golf GTI Pirelli at about $46k drive away-no more to pay ;) I said that before, a $2k APR remap takes that engine to 229 kW. Combined with a 1,360kg car, DSG gearbox and traditional GTI handling, that is one explosive combination, the best hot hatch you can buy this side of $50k. A perfect sleeper, too-who would believe looking at it that is a 5.5 seconds to 100 km/h car?!
Oh, do I have to mention that GTI's interior is 3-4 leagues above anything that Mazda can do?

I'm giving up waiting for the RS, here's hope I'll find a Pirelli in January when the lease on my CDTi is up.

**** man, im sick of hearing VW is better than mazda..blah blah blah....
whos cares????

They are both exciting cars and I like both....but I think the pirelli looks crap with painted bottom skirts..does NOT suit the golf...needs to look like the traditional GTI with black bottom skirts.

Ok, I think we have all made the point..the smiley mazda is not so attractive but it does not look as bad as some of you KEEP saying....give it a break..I am SO SICK OF THIS.

Vectracious
11th August 2009, 12:37 AM
*throws toys out of cot*

If you want people saying how much they love the new Mazda3 - go the the Mazda 3 owners club forums or whatever :rolleyes:

Dieselhead is just making a valid point - Golf interiors shit all over any Mazda3 interior.

Dieselhead - go for the Pirelli or Mk VI GTI next - would have got the Pirelli if I didnt need the extra room the R36 wagon offered.

USC
11th August 2009, 12:43 AM
So don't read the threads!!! If you want people saying how much they love the new Mazda3 - go the the Mazda 3 owners club forums or whatever :rolleyes:

Dieselhead is just making a valid point - Golf interiors shit all over any Mazda3 interior.

Dieselhead - go for the Pirelli or Mk VI GTI next - would have got the Pirelli if I didnt need the extra room the R36 wagon offered.

fair enough. Golf shits all over any car actually... NOT

Vectracious
11th August 2009, 12:48 AM
fair enough. Golf shits all over any car actually... NOT

I don't think anyone has claimed the Golf is the best car in the world in this thread.... :confused:

You might get that over on vwwatercooled though ;)

Apex
11th August 2009, 07:35 AM

Drove a 6M GTI-30 with a 300hp map on the weekend, minus the fact it had absolutely no traction in first or second it was one hell of a car, strong power fit a Quaife LSD and you’d have a R26 eater.

I wouldnt say the VW is leagues ahead in the interior department, the Mazda is bloody good and a lot more exciting, in the Golf its same old same old.

USC
11th August 2009, 08:30 AM
I wouldnt say the VW is leagues ahead in the interior department, the Mazda is bloody good and a lot more exciting, in the Golf its same old same old.

+1

I like how mazda offers free sat nav..even though its pretty small.

Apex
11th August 2009, 08:42 AM
I just like the way the Mazda interior is funky, has lost a lot of the “chav” of the gen one MPS, upgrading from Mk-5 to a Mk-6 Golf would have you feeling almost cheated in interior stakes.

Wraith
11th August 2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting guys it is all a case of each to their own :)

Interesting comments by Dug above who will probably give us a better run down than anyone else on the performance side of things between old and new MPS3's and interesting how comments on regarding upgrading are what I've heard from the majority of current MPS3 owners, however as mentioned I believe it's more a case of not being a good fanancial move rather than not liking this new one over the old one, looks aside this new one IS the better car for slightly less money than the old one ;)

As you here would know I am a fan of the outgoing MPS3, when I was at the dealership on Sunday there was one there so it was easy to put the 2 together and compare from a visual perspective to me the old one just paled away, the new one looks heaps better o/a and contemporary, I don't know how well it will date or not, but it certainly leaves the outgoing model looking very plain and dated by comparison, I like the comment on the interior dash trims as that's exactly what I'd do with one and have mentioned the same in omne of my posts :)

A series 2 would be interesting to see what Mazda get up to with this car, but that'll be at least 12-18 months away :(

Wraith
11th August 2009, 09:16 AM
I just like the way the Mazda interior is funky, has lost a lot of the “chav” of the gen one MPS, upgrading from Mk-5 to a Mk-6 Golf would have you feeling almost cheated in interior stakes.

Agree, new MPS3 interior along with all the features completely leaves the old model for dead - but each to their own...if one prefers less features or design innovation, well that dosn't make sense to me, but to them :rollyeys1:

Wraith
11th August 2009, 09:36 AM

Golf GTi interior is nice in terms of quality and finish, but honestly speaking it is not 3-4 leagues better than the new MPS3 - please before making exaggerated comments GO CHECK ONE OUT and better still drive it - then come back here and make some honest comments ;)

I can honestly say being thoroughly familiar with them that not even a BMW 135i or Audi TTS interior is 3-4 times better, they are definitely twice as good or better as an honest comparison, which makes a Golf GTi interior less than that over the interior of the new MPS3...

Perilli Gti is very nice, didn't even think of that one, but now that I am I don't really like the yellow colour on the Gti, I know it's all got to do with the Pirelli corporate colour, but it's a shame that variant is limited to just one colour choice...

Hopefully we'll see the Scirocco R and/or the Golf GTi R20 land here and get to compare those to MPS3 and other hot hatches like the new Megane which is due here at years end...

As for enhancements, for less than 1k the MPS3 can be mapped to 225kw / 440nm (at least that's the deal for the outgoing model) whilst it dosn't have that beautiful DSG I'm sure that this new one will be a great drive with its improvements over the old one in traction and handling...:)

USC
11th August 2009, 09:39 AM

and exterior..the Golf VI non gti looks yuuuukkkkk...its like VW pulled out the design from their 90`s portfolio.

GreyRex
11th August 2009, 09:56 AM
Golf GTi interior is nice in terms of quality and finish, but honestly speaking it is not 3-4 leagues better than the new MPS3 - please before making exaggerated comments GO CHECK ONE OUT and better still drive it - then come back here and make some honest comments ;)

I can honestly say being thoroughly familiar with them that not even a BMW 135i or Audi TTS interior is 3-4 times better, they are definitely twice as good or better as an honest comparison, which makes a Golf GTi interior less than that over the interior of the new MPS3...

Perilli Gti is very nice, didn't even think of that one, but now that I am I don't really like the yellow colour on the Gti, I know it's all got to do with the Pirelli corporate colour, but it's a shame that variant is limited to just one colour choice...

Hopefully we'll see the Scirocco R and/or the Golf GTi R20 land here and get to compare those to MPS3 and other hot hatches like the new Megane which is due here at years end...

As for enhancements, for less than 1k the MPS3 can be mapped to 225kw / 440nm (at least that's the deal for the outgoing model) whilst it dosn't have that beautiful DSG I'm sure that this new one will be a great drive with its improvements over the old one in traction and handling...:)

Pirelli can be had in yellow, as well as silver, dark grey, and possibly others. But they all have the same Pirelli yellow/tyre tread interior

Wraith
11th August 2009, 10:22 AM
Pirelli can be had in yellow, as well as silver, dark grey, and possibly others. But they all have the same Pirelli yellow/tyre tread interior

Awesome, didn't know that...I love the grey and red duco colours on the Mk5 Golf Gti...:)

mania
11th August 2009, 12:06 PM
and exterior..the Golf VI non gti looks yuuuukkkkk...its like VW pulled out the design from their 90`s portfolio.

Still looks a heck of a lot better then a 3 though :p

rjastra
11th August 2009, 01:21 PM
Golf Gti Interior: It does look classier than the Japanese competition
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/vw_audi_performance/2010_volkswagen_gti_revealed_car_news/2010_volkswagen_gti_revealed/vwgolf_gti_10_6/1962833-1-eng-US/vwgolf_gti_10_6_cd_gallery.jpg

chrissn89
11th August 2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/vw_audi_performance/2010_volkswagen_gti_revealed_car_news/2010_volkswagen_gti_revealed/vwgolf_gti_10_6/1962833-1-eng-US/vwgolf_gti_10_6_cd_gallery.jpg
looks like they forgot one thing tho, the brake pedal. Those crazy Germans ******* *rollseyes*

MatsHolden
11th August 2009, 01:28 PM
Was in a new 3 the other day (be it not an MPS) and I swear the interior feels more 'flimsy' than the previous 3. Also noted that the ergonomics weren't the greatest in terms of layout of things like door handles!

USC
11th August 2009, 01:28 PM
I dont know about classier...those seats covers look like tea towels. The dash looks like in a 1990 car...sorry but the new golf is plain BORING.

Neeko
11th August 2009, 01:29 PM
looks like they forgot on thing tho, the brake pedal. Those crazy Germans ******* *rollseyes*

in germany zee car brakes yoo!

MatsHolden
11th August 2009, 01:29 PM
The dash looks like in a 1990 car...

Agree. Although the quality of materials and fit and finish would be there, not much good if it's not appealing to look at.
Cruze interior design leaves that for dead.

Mind you that wouldn't be enough for me to not consider one.

Wraith
11th August 2009, 02:49 PM

Hmmm, perceptions are different amongst different people, like USC that dosn't look classier to me either, however having seen and felt it in the flesh (ie. MK 5's) it does have a higher quality to it, but in terms of looks and layout and the way everything lights up, the new MPS3 is way nicer IMHO...

Also unless you opt for the full leather, you've got to admit that tartan cloth interior looks miles worse than the red poker dot trim some people here are complaining about on the MPS3...

In fact now that I think of it, no ones mentioned the white poker dot leather colour scheme in the white Nurb. VXR's...I think it's not bad but wonder what some people here would make of that comparison, whilst they're knocking every other part of the new MPS3...

Agree with Mat on the Cruze interior - very nice and better than alot of cars that are much more expensive, to be totally honest, that's what I've been comparing the new MPS3's interior to for my own purposes and am at the honest conclusion in my opinion anyway the Mazda is better...

Mat you need to drive the new MPS3 to appreciate how it all works ergonomically as I've stated in one of my previous posts, everything especially the gear lever is in the right place for enjoyable/easy/effortless motoring ;)

dug74
11th August 2009, 05:27 PM
I seriously like the drive and gear stick position of the new 3MPS.

Colours...well a little boring.

Im bias towards the MPS tho...being an owner of MPS forum :D

Mazda didnt point the sales towards current MPS owners, but they did listen to what previous MPS owners liked and disliked about the old model.

Many drivers were turned off by the brutal boost on acceleration and torque steer, both I love about the car.

The car is more refined to accomodate for the general public = more sales.
Many ppl wanted the MPS to stand out instead of being a normal 3 with big wheels and a spoiler.

I think the *in ya face* sporty look has attracted a lot of attention and would explain why since its release on 21st July 2009...its sold 53 cars in 10 days.

I would buy one....in white...but its not worth my time or money as it has the same performance with a few adjustments.

I will be looking at the new Renaultsport Megane R250 as my new car.

I also dont know why ppl bag the Mazda, as for a japanese car its up there with the euros for trim, build and its more reliable.

Each to their own, but things will only get better for Mazda as the MPS model progresses...it took Evo and STi....4 or 5 gen models to become good....mazda has almost done it in 2 gen....well we wait and see what the 3rd gen is like....2014 maybe

Happy Motoring
duglet

dieselhead
11th August 2009, 06:35 PM
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the tartan in GTIs. However, the Pirelli gets some very interesting trim, that I like very much. I also agree that there's nothing exciting about Golf's interior and is no Audi, however I like the sober German feel of it.

Back on topic now, I would say that the previous version of the 3 MPS is better looking, the new one is trying too hard to look sporty in my opinion. I don't get it, why would Mazda design such an ugly car?! Do they think if Subaru can get away with it, they can do it, too? ;)

gmonkey
11th August 2009, 08:58 PM
the tartan is an acquired, acquired purely cause the fact that you couldnt afford the 2k for leather interior (which might i add is damn good leather!) love the pirrelli tyre trim :p

GreyRex
11th August 2009, 09:07 PM
the tartan is an acquired, acquired purely cause the fact that you couldnt afford the 2k for leather interior (which might i add is damn good leather!) love the pirrelli tyre trim :p

Have you sat in and/or felt the trim on the Pirelli? It's umm... interesting

USC
11th August 2009, 09:43 PM
Looks you would be sitting on croc skin...:cornut:

dieselhead
11th August 2009, 09:59 PM
.... and that is a bad thing because? :) A dead crock's skin, so it should be safe.

USC
11th August 2009, 10:33 PM
.... and that is a bad thing because? :) A dead crock's skin, so it should be safe.

yeah..it will feel like sand paper under your arse..HAHA

Vectracious
11th August 2009, 10:36 PM
yeah..it will feel like sand paper under your arse..HAHA

LOL - do you drive around with no pants on?? Truck drivers would have interesting view!! :p

USC
11th August 2009, 11:57 PM
LOL - do you drive around with no pants on?? Truck drivers would have interesting view!! :p

I love driving in the nude.....:thumbs:..should get one of those pirelli GTi for extra comfort, massage and an orgasmic drive:D

Wraith
12th August 2009, 08:39 AM
Have you sat in and/or felt the trim on the Pirelli? It's umm... interesting

That's a good question...

Has anyone actually checked out and/or driven the Pirelli Gti ?? I'm interested in the feel and o/a ergonomics of those seats...

Just from a visual picture perspective, to me they 'look' not so comfortable (ie the surface) and the end look is bit weird to me, not being biased just going by my impressions from the pics - as always need to check out the actual thing in real life to make an accurate assessment and comments...

Wraith
12th August 2009, 08:57 AM
I seriously like the drive and gear stick position of the new 3MPS.

Colours...well a little boring.

Im bias towards the MPS tho...being an owner of MPS forum :D

Mazda didnt point the sales towards current MPS owners, but they did listen to what previous MPS owners liked and disliked about the old model.

Many drivers were turned off by the brutal boost on acceleration and torque steer, both I love about the car.

The car is more refined to accomodate for the general public = more sales.
Many ppl wanted the MPS to stand out instead of being a normal 3 with big wheels and a spoiler.

I think the *in ya face* sporty look has attracted a lot of attention and would explain why since its release on 21st July 2009...its sold 53 cars in 10 days.

I would buy one....in white...but its not worth my time or money as it has the same performance with a few adjustments.

I will be looking at the new Renaultsport Megane R250 as my new car.

I also dont know why ppl bag the Mazda, as for a japanese car its up there with the euros for trim, build and its more reliable.

Each to their own, but things will only get better for Mazda as the MPS model progresses...it took Evo and STi....4 or 5 gen models to become good....mazda has almost done it in 2 gen....well we wait and see what the 3rd gen is like....2014 maybe

Happy Motoring
duglet

All fair comments Dug...

I think alot of people here forget or don't want to believe the simple truth about the reliability aspect as you've mentioned above which applies to most Japanese cars and is a very important consideration when choosing a new vehicle...

However don't know about going for a new MPS3 in white...the main complaint of this new Mazda 3 (all variants) has been that front end styling, both from pics I've seen and from seeing/checking out SP25's in the metal in the white duco, that front stands out more on the white than on any other colour IMHO...

I've now seen all of the range in all of the colours in the metal and IMHO my conclusion is that 4 colours do a good job of masking or making the front end less prominent (if that's what someone wanted) they are black, dark grey (can't remember the name of that colour) indigo blue and aluminium silver...in fact with both the black and dark grey, the front end dosn't stand out that much at all...

All that aside I don't think too many people have any complaints about the look of the new Mazda 3 hatch or sedan side on or rear profiles, in fact from some angles it can look quite hot :)

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 09:06 AM
I think alot of people here forget or don't want to believe the simple truth about the reliability aspect as you've mentioned above which applies to most Japanese cars and is a very important consideration when choosing a new vehicle...

Have you forgotten Ange that the reliability of a car is directly proportional with the amount of soft feel plastic they use in an interior. Jap cars which have a tendency to use more brittle plastics (Subaru Impreza is a good example) must therefore be completely inferior. ;)

Wraith
12th August 2009, 09:16 AM
Have you forgotten Ange that the reliability of a car is directly proportional with the amount of soft feel plastic they use in an interior. Jap cars which have a tendency to use more brittle plastics (Subaru Impreza is a good example) must therefore be completely inferior. ;)

Actually yes, I've forgotten that's the main 'judgement tool' used by many to gauge vehicle reliability amongst other things LOL :)

GreyRex
12th August 2009, 09:24 AM
That's a good question...

Has anyone actually checked out and/or driven the Pirelli Gti ?? I'm interested in the feel and o/a ergonomics of those seats...

Just from a visual picture perspective, to me they 'look' not so comfortable (ie the surface) and the end look is bit weird to me, not being biased just going by my impressions from the pics - as always need to check out the actual thing in real life to make an accurate assessment and comments...

I've only sat in the Pirelli. The seat trim is very similar to the FPV trim... it felt like pleather (a combination of plasticky leather). How will it age... don't know. Did it look dated... yes. Did it feel 'premium'... no. Just my opinion though

Wraith
12th August 2009, 01:07 PM
I've only sat in the Pirelli. The seat trim is very similar to the FPV trim... it felt like pleather (a combination of plasticky leather). How will it age... don't know. Did it look dated... yes. Did it feel 'premium'... no. Just my opinion though

Thanks for that run down Miz.

What you've described above is pretty spot to what I've already written on the feel I got from looking at those pics...interesting

Also interesting as previously mentioned how some find that interior more attractive just from a visual perspective than that of the new MPS3...I'm still of the complete opposite opinion, just shows how varied and different tastes we all have :)

rjastra
12th August 2009, 02:13 PM
Also interesting as previously mentioned how some find that interior more attractive just from a visual perspective than that of the new MPS3...I'm still of the complete opposite opinion, just shows how varied and different tastes we all have :)

The Pirelli edition is the MK 5 Golf. We are talking about the new Mk VI GTI. And judging by the look/feel of a new Mk 6 golf interior I can guarantee it will have a much higher quality feel than the MPS3.

USC
12th August 2009, 02:25 PM
The Pirelli edition is the MK 5 Golf. We are talking about the new Mk VI GTI. And judging by the look/feel of a new Mk 6 golf interior I can guarantee it will have a much higher quality feel than the MPS3.

what the use of having quality feel interior when the exterior looks dated??

rjastra
12th August 2009, 02:40 PM
what the use of having quality feel interior when the exterior looks dated??

Wasn't it you who said who cares what a car looks like as you spend most of the time sitting in it driving... could be mistaken though ;)

USC
12th August 2009, 03:06 PM
Wasn't it you who said who cares what a car looks like as you spend most of the time sitting in it driving... could be mistaken though ;)

nah...wasnt me....I care about the interior after I have decided that the exterior looks nice and well built.:)

Wraith
12th August 2009, 03:11 PM

The MK6 interior definitely looks like it has a higher quality to it, from the pics...

However (again from pics regarding the Mk6) the new MPS3's interior is IMHO much better and much more modern looking, both static and when all the dials, and other gadgets are lit up...

I havn't driven a MK5 and don't know about the MK6, but in the new MPS3 as I've already mentioned, everything works exceptionally well, especially the gear lever position...only the handbrake seems to be a little too far over to the left, which isn't a problem at all except maybe if doing an incline hand brake start, that's the only thing I could question about its interior ergonomics...hill start assist feature would be a nice option on ANY manual, I think we'll see this eventually become common :)

Wraith
12th August 2009, 04:28 PM
Here's some pics of the MPS3's interior for comparison (as far as pictures show anyway) and more external pics of one in aluminium silver under varying light conditions...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2qx6r5y.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2wf1s2a.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/1z4vcz4.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/21m4y7l.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/28223rr.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/25g9c1l.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/oa7mte.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/28ldjd5.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2yzakw0.jpg

USC
12th August 2009, 05:08 PM
Looks nice! The handbrake would not be a big problem..I wonder if the MPS has hill assist...then it would definitely not be a great deal having it far on the left.

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Looks nice! The handbrake would not be a big problem..I wonder if the MPS has hill assist...then it would definitely not be a great deal having it far on the left.

thats crap ergonomics. Is the RHD market not big enough for Mazda to be bothered making the handbrake interchangeable on which side it is on?

If it was a Golf that did that you would be jumping up and down saying how crap it was... ;)

mania
12th August 2009, 07:22 PM
People have lower expectations of Jap interiors :p. I like it. The handbrake is just plain lazy though :(. Actually prefer the VE's handbrake..

sooty
12th August 2009, 07:28 PM
Actually prefer the VE's handbrake..
lol, that's saying something.
Steering wheel looks cheap and tacky, and the handbrake is just plain lazy, other than that the interior looks alright i guess. Still doesn't make up for how HIDEOUSLY ugly it is on the outside.
It's like they found some cheap scrap metal, and decided to make a car out of it, then went....well, it could definitely look worse, designed the new mazda 3, stood back and went, yep....all that technology and we've managed to make something uglier than something made from discarded scraps, lets sell it!:thumbs:

USC
12th August 2009, 07:35 PM
LOL...you guys make me laugh.

How about the indicator stalk on the left for the VW?? How lazy is that?

Talking about scrap metal to make the mazda 3, the seats of the golf looks like they have been made out of scraps from an Op shop.

The Boring interior looks like they ripped it off a 1989 nissan pulsar.

The exterior of the golf VI looks like the retarded brother of the golf V.

VW in general are rubbish..starting with their air cooled beetle..that was the worst car ever made. loud, slow, ugly and completely unreliable.

They may have improved on noise, and speed but they are still unreliable.

USC
12th August 2009, 07:36 PM
....all that technology and we've managed to make something uglier than something made from discarded scraps, lets sell it!:thumbs:

and that is faster than most cars on the road:cornut:

sooty
12th August 2009, 07:39 PM
and that is faster than most cars on the road:cornut:
so if they can manage the technology for speed (and not fuel efficiency :rolleyes:), how can they make such a hideously ugly car? Btw, you drive an sp23 yeah?

mania
12th August 2009, 07:46 PM
The general problem area:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2vttr2p.jpg

chrissn89
12th August 2009, 07:58 PM
The general problem area:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2vttr2p.jpg

the blond driving :confused:

glider
12th August 2009, 07:59 PM
and shes from Victoria?

mania
12th August 2009, 08:29 PM
Haha sorry no, I just thought that section best shows up what's wrong the exterior. Namely the face (http://i27.tinypic.com/ojktpf.jpg) (crudely sketched on for emphasis). I know it's all old news, but I just can't see how people can find it appealing :confused:.

USC
12th August 2009, 08:40 PM
so if they can manage the technology for speed (and not fuel efficiency :rolleyes:), how can they make such a hideously ugly car? Btw, you drive an sp23 yeah?

not anymore...currently driving a mondeo XR5...people think Im crazy cos i talk to my car all the time...lol..shes got voice control.

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 09:06 PM
How about the indicator stalk on the left for the VW?? How lazy is that?

not anymore...currently driving a mondeo XR5....

Does a Mondeo have the indicator stalk on the right hand side?????

Claiming VW is unreliable is clutching at straws really. They are not perfect, not by any means, but i reckon you see more Fords on the side of the road with their bonnet up.

USC
12th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Does a Mondeo have the indicator stalk on the right hand side?????

Claiming VW is unreliable is clutching at straws really. They are not perfect, not by any means, but i reckon you see more Fords on the side of the road with their bonnet up.

Im not saying fords are great..Im actually not a fan ....most fords are made cheaply as well, including the XR5....only driving/thrashing this car for a short period of time.

Well..someone was talking about laziness when mazda left the hand brake on the left side...then I raised the issue with VW`s indicator stalk.

Look mate, now you start bagging fords...looks like you are more interested in personal attacks. Grow up and open your mind to something different...the new MPS. It may not look very pretty according to some people but it is a fast car and well built. every car would have their +ves and -ves. Unfortunately, i see more -ves with VW`s than with mazdas.

dieselhead
12th August 2009, 09:46 PM
Looking at those MPS pictures there's only one work that comes to my mind: yuk! I'm not a Mazda fan, but I admire cars well put together, good looking and fast no matter the badge. How can you compare that thing to other cars from the same manufacturer, such as RX-8 and MX-5?! The new 3 looks like bloody caricature in comparison... It looks so bad that it makes the new WRX handsome!
I wouldn't buy one even if it was the fastest, most reliable and the most powerful hot hatch on the planet. Fortunately I don't need to toss too much making that decision since none of those instances is true :)

Anyone knows, how's the resale value of the previous 3 MPS? Something to take into account when spending $40k plus on a car, don't you think?

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 09:58 PM
Look mate, now you start bagging fords...looks like you are more interested in personal attacks. Grow up and open your mind to something different...the new MPS. It may not look very pretty according to some people but it is a fast car and well built. every car would have their +ves and -ves. Unfortunately, i see more -ves with VW`s than with mazdas.

LOL - if I wanted to personally attack you, i would have called you a f*cking idiot - but I didn't. :rolleyes:

You raised the issue with LH indicator stalks, when there are several manufacturers with several models all selling cars with LH indicator stalks in Australia - but VW is the only crappy manufacturer for doing so. :confused:

I don't actually have a problem with the MPS - and if you cared to read you'd see that I haven't bagged it out (much). I've also defended Jap cars several times on the forum - even had one member cry and leave about me calling him bigoted against Jap cars.

I have seen several Fords on the roadside lately - its just an observation - apologies if it doesnt fit in with your "VW is crap" mantra.

If anyone should be opening their eyes and growing up it's you. Your repetitive "VW is crap" sounds like a little toddler who didn't get his way - what happened - all set to buy a GTI and something happen to shatter your dreams??? ;):D

USC
12th August 2009, 10:24 PM
"I" sound like a toddler...please, dont make me quote how many times you and many others here keep repeating how crap the mps is.

The indicator stalk was ONE point - and was a point I made in regards to the comment about the mps having the hand brake on the left...not everything is perfect on any car!

I maintain my opinion on the reliability issue with VW. No VW or Ford will ever be as reliable or well built as a Mazda.

mania
12th August 2009, 10:32 PM
Isn't the Mazda 3 mostly built from the Ford parts bin though? Same platform as the focus =/.

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 10:36 PM
"I" sound like a toddler...please, dont make me quote how many times you and many others here keep repeating how crap the mps is.

Personally I've said 2 negative things about the MPS - the handbrake position and a comment about how VW interiors have better plastics than Mazda. I even used that as a dig at all the Euro-philes saying that the feel of the plastics used by many Jap manufacturers is proportional to the quality of the car. Otherwise the car is fine - styling is subjective so thats for each individual person to decide. My mate has the new Maxx Sport - have driven it and been in it several times - its a great car with lots of standard features and fresh styling. But the plastic they've used on some parts of the dash is a bit bitsy. Doesnt mean the car is crap just because of that, which I've never said in the first place!

And look - its pretty simple and I've said it before - if you cant handle people criticising a Mazda - go to the Mazda forums. Dunno why you expected everyone to like it on OpelAus.

MatsHolden
12th August 2009, 10:38 PM
thats crap ergonomics.

Also noted that the ergonomics weren't the greatest in terms of layout of things like door handles!

Exactly the sort of thing i was talking about.

poita
12th August 2009, 10:49 PM
the mazda forums arent exactly a welcoming place, thats for sure

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 10:52 PM
the mazda forums arent exactly a welcoming place, thats for sure

must be to do with Mazda owners..... :p

I'm sure people would know of what happened over with the Seppo's when a tuning company got jack of all the Mazda owners continually whining and complaining about everything and pulled support for their products and tunes........ :eek::eek:

rjastra
12th August 2009, 11:11 PM
http://mazda3revolution.com/wp-content/gallery/2010-Mazda3-Interior/2010mazda3int-4.jpg

Looks like they swap the handbrake for LHD markets.... its always located away from the driver

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 11:13 PM
http://mazda3revolution.com/wp-content/gallery/2010-Mazda3-Interior/2010mazda3int-4.jpg

Looks like they swap the handbrake for LHD markets.... its always located away from the driver

ROFLMAO - well there you go!!!

Should we delete the last two pages then!!!! :D

mania
12th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Doesn't make any sense :confused:. Will have to try it in real life, maybe if it was on the drivers side it would be more awkward. Or maybe studies found the drivers side tray was used more then the handbrake?

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 11:17 PM
Doesn't make any sense :confused:. Will have to try it in real life, maybe if it was on the drivers side it would be more awkward. Or maybe studies found the drivers side tray was used more then the handbrake?

dunno, but i have to admit I did find it awkward driving my mates 3 having to reach over to the handbrake.

But then again, it's used twice each drive (by normal people - not PaulyJ) - so maybe they've done it for a reason.

poita
12th August 2009, 11:18 PM
u will knock you drinks out of the cup holder wen goin for hand brake turns!!!

mania
12th August 2009, 11:21 PM
dunno, but i have to admit I did find it awkward driving my mates 3 having to reach over to the handbrake.

But then again, it's used twice each drive (by normal people - not PaulyJ) - so maybe they've done it for a reason.

No hills in Melbourne then ;)?

Vectracious
12th August 2009, 11:24 PM
No hills in Melbourne then ;)?

called quick feet :)

Last time I used a handbrake for a hill start was probably about 7 years ago - and I've had manual cars for over 10.

mania
12th August 2009, 11:42 PM
Tell that to the L plater you're teaching :p

USC
12th August 2009, 11:48 PM
dude - I am not a hardcore mazda fan...If i was, I would have bought the MPS or an MX5...but just admiring what they have come up with.

a lot of new cars have automatic hill assist these days...so hand brakes are not used for that purpose.

anyways...bed time..yawn yawn...

Vectracious
13th August 2009, 12:10 AM
Tell that to the L plater you're teaching :p

tell them what?

next L plater I'll be teaching is about 15.75 years away from his L plates and by that time who knows what we'll be driving.

coyotte
13th August 2009, 06:53 AM
I'd do a pearl custom paint job on the front grille (turning it into a set of TEETH with BRACES). Include "SMILE" personalised plates, then SELL IT to an DENTIST ! lol...

rjastra
13th August 2009, 07:48 AM
There is a MPS3 group test in this months Motor. MPS3, wrx, Megane 225, XR5

MPS3 wins. "Its mid-range urge makes it a blindinglt-quick cross-country tearaway with a decent - not great, but decent - blend of ride and handling.

Second was the Megane: The Megane is ultimately the better driver's car for its more involving chassis, the rock-solid relationship it builds between the road and your bum, and for providing the sensation you're steering something with a bit of spunk.

MPS3 = head car
Megabe = heart

Wraith
13th August 2009, 08:42 AM
There is a MPS3 group test in this months Motor. MPS3, wrx, Megane 225, XR5

MPS3 wins. "Its mid-range urge makes it a blindinglt-quick cross-country tearaway with a decent - not great, but decent - blend of ride and handling.

Second was the Megane: The Megane is ultimately the better driver's car for its more involving chassis, the rock-solid relationship it builds between the road and your bum, and for providing the sensation you're steering something with a bit of spunk.

MPS3 = head car
Megabe = heart

Interesting result :)

What's a Magabe rj :confused: just kidding :lol: new Megane looks ok...

Back to the MPS3 and all the other Mazda 3 variants and the hanbrake question I brought up in the 1st place...so it seems there is logic to it as it is mirror'd over from RHD to LHD vehicles, so there's a reason for it to be where they've placed it...

When I drove it last weekend I didn't get a chance to try doing a hand brake start, that would be the only real test for it, otherwise it presents absolutely no problem at all in its location...

At the end of the day you either like the car or not, looks are subjective (imagine the crap outgoing Megane model owners have to put up with that is what you call a seriously ugly car IMHO) for those that do and acquire one, there's no doubt they've have got one of the best cars in its class o/a, that's the bottom line ;)

rjastra
13th August 2009, 09:05 AM
An interesting point was that torque steer was still an issue with the MPS3 and that it was still difficult to launch.

Wraith
13th August 2009, 09:15 AM
An interesting point was that torque steer was still an issue with the MPS3 and that it was still difficult to launch.

That is interesting and one that I don't agree with after my brief sprint in one last weekend, BUT as already said I wasn't given the chance to really 'give it the beans'...

My 1st impressions left me very impressed - absolutely loved the way it drives :)

Will get back to you all after a more thorough test drive on that one ;)

Also noting Operators and Dug's driving experience with it, they too seem to think torque steer is not an issue with the new MPS3...

TheOperator
13th August 2009, 09:51 AM
Also noting Operators and Dug's driving experience with it, they too seem to think torque steer is not an issue with the new MPS3...

That's correct i found it a non event / not a issue.

My advice is to take what motoring writers say with a grain of salt, they all have their own preferences and agendas ;) Go drive things for yourself and then make a educated choice on your own behalf :D

I'm fortunate enough to drive nearly all makes and variants regularly through work and have no brand loyalty, if it's good to me it's good, if it's shit to me it's shit! The reason i say this i find regularly that i don't agree with writers, but then again i also don't expect a 40K MPS to be a 400K Porsche ;)

Wraith
13th August 2009, 11:06 AM
and have no brand loyalty, if it's good to me it's good, if it's shit to me it's shit! The reason i say this i find regularly that i don't agree with writers, but then again i also don't expect a 40K MPS to be a 400K Porsche ;)

With the above statement, you are a 'true' car enthusiast :)

That is exactly the way I am with cars, I have my favourites and try to tell it as it is, but absolutely no brand loyalty which IMHO is not worth anything however each to their own , but being honestly subjective is a rare thing and to be expected on car forums...;)

Wraith
13th August 2009, 03:19 PM
Looking at those MPS pictures there's only one work that comes to my mind: yuk! I'm not a Mazda fan, but I admire cars well put together, good looking and fast no matter the badge. How can you compare that thing to other cars from the same manufacturer, such as RX-8 and MX-5?! The new 3 looks like bloody caricature in comparison... It looks so bad that it makes the new WRX handsome!
I wouldn't buy one even if it was the fastest, most reliable and the most powerful hot hatch on the planet. Fortunately I don't need to toss too much making that decision since none of those instances is true :)

Anyone knows, how's the resale value of the previous 3 MPS? Something to take into account when spending $40k plus on a car, don't you think?

Stop writing crap, if it were the fastest, most reliable and most powerful hot hatch on the planet, you'd buy one and be a singing fan boy about it too :p

Your 2nd question is a good one and out of interest I've checked out red book valuations...

Worse case or cheapest MPS3 would be a MY06 sports pack (non luxury model) now valued at $27,900-$30,700 and had a new car cost of $39,990 before ORC's...if you work out the average of those 2 figures and then a percentage loss from an o/a driveaway cost of around $43,650, that's a 32-33% loss - I honestly thought it would be alot more of a loss on a 3 year old MPS3...

Compare that to a MY06 Mk5 Golf Gti 6spd manual...now valued at $24,400-$27,200 and had an identicle new car cost of $39,990 before ORC's...I think that says it all in so far of all thinking the Golf Gti has better resale :rollyeys1:

Compared to a MY06 XR5T Focus now valued at $19,990-$22,300 and a new car cost of $35,900 before ORC's...

Seems MPS3 is in fact the better long term investment after all compared to a Gti or Xr5T- surprise, surprise, that makes it even more attractive now :)

Edit: after further resale research I'll list more info for anyone interested - at least now we'll be able to compare all the FWD hot hatches in this respect...MPS3 is top of the tree with resale (again even I'm surprised) the Reno Megane is worst falling in value more than the all the others...definitely something to keep in mind, especially people who purchase vehicles for private use with long term finance...

MY06 VXR now valued at $24,500-$27,300 and a new car cost of $42,990 before ORC's...

MY06 Megane sport 225 now valued at $18,700-$21,100 and also had an identicle new car cost of $39,990 before ORC's...

mania
13th August 2009, 03:46 PM
Stop writing crap, if it were the fastest, most reliable and most powerful hot hatch on the planet, you'd buy one and be a singing fan boy about it too :pActually for me looks play a big part, perhaps for others they don't.

But I really don't think I could live with it even if it were all of those things... which it nearly is. I mean, it's the most powerful (and fastest, to be a bit redundant) fwd hatch on the local market, would be up there with reliability, and likely has good resale. Don't see me rushing out to buy it though.. still would much sooner buy a polo, golf or VXR. Or allowing awds, evo/wrx for that matter. I mean, I'd probably enjoy it if I was given one, but to buy one with me own money? :rolleyes:

Wraith
13th August 2009, 04:16 PM
Actually for me looks play a big part, perhaps for others they don't.

But I really don't think I could live with it even if it were all of those things... which it nearly is. I mean, it's the most powerful (and fastest, to be a bit redundant) fwd hatch on the local market, would be up there with reliability, and likely has good resale. Don't see me rushing out to buy it though.. still would much sooner buy a polo, golf or VXR. Or allowing awds, evo/wrx for that matter. I mean, I'd probably enjoy it if I was given one, but to buy one with me own money? :rolleyes:

It was just a bit of tongue n cheek, hence the :p emocon :)

As always each to their own with any car, I don't know if I want either one either, but at the end of the day I love all it has to offer as an overall package (especially the performance) for the asking price and don't mind its looks, further to that now that I know it has good long term resale value, it reinforces my liking to it :)

TheOperator
24th August 2009, 09:40 AM
Just a quick update.

Finally got my Mrs to drive the MPS and to put it bluntly she nearly raped me to buy it for her :D

So now i'm just waiting on availability of Titanium colour (which she chose without any pushing from me) :cornut:

DirtyHarry
24th August 2009, 10:08 AM
now you see, the saying that fast cars attract women is true.

TheOperator
25th August 2009, 09:19 AM
now you see, the saying that fast cars attract women is true.

When the said women used to own a WRX with a 2.5 stroker motor, straight cut ppg gearbox, coilovers etc and i had nothing to do with it i can't say it's generally true ;)

Wraith
25th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Just a quick update.

Finally got my Mrs to drive the MPS and to put it bluntly she nearly raped me to buy it for her :D

So now i'm just waiting on availability of Titanium colour (which she chose without any pushing from me) :cornut:

Congratulations :)

Your colour is aluminium silver yes ?? my fav colour too for this new MPS3 :)

Saw close up pics of a white one yesterday very HOT which surprised me as I didn't think it would look so good in white, pity Mazda Aust didn't opt to bring in this colour, maybe on a 2nd run or series 2 hopefully...

This new MPS3 is slowly gaining momentum and favouratism compared to when it was 1st released...

It's been getting rave reviews from all the major publications, Motor, Wheels, a couple of U.K publications I've read and even Edmunds gave it the big thumbs up :thumbs: it's a winner ;)

Wraith
25th August 2009, 12:37 PM
Here's some good information from a member of the OZMPS forum, desregarding his personal comments, there's a whole heap of interesting info on the new MPS3 :)

This technical review is aimed at the existing MPS community; it assumes you’re already familiar with the first generation Mazda 3 MPS and focuses on what is new for the 2009 model.

In the lead up to its Australian launch, OzMPSclub was invited to sample the new generation Mazda 3 MPS at the Sutton Road circuit just outside of Canberra. Targa Team drivers Rick Bates and Brendan Reeves were on hand to show off a bunch of new MPSs, and to show us how to get the best out of them.

I could save you a lot of reading and just say the new generation Mazda 3 MPS is bigger, stronger, faster, more economical, better equipped and costs about the same as the previous model. That’s it in a nut shell. Or, if you like details, read on, as I have lots of details to share.

The preview photos that have been floating around the web have prompted a fair amount of debate about the looks of the new 3 MPS, so lets deal with the styling first.

It’s not all about fashion. There are sound engineering reasons that contributed to the styling. The clay modellers spent 304 hours in the Miyoshi wind tunnel optimizing the shape millimetre by millimetre to minimise turbulence and eddies on each part of the body. The grille opening is 70% of the previous model’s size and the frontal shape directs unwanted air smoothly over the body. There’s also a reason for the shape of the bulging rear tail lights, which provide a cleaner separation of airflow and reduce drag-inducing eddy currents around the back of the car.

All the design effort has resulted in a body shape that cuts through the air more quietly and has a coefficient of drag that is down from 0.34 to 0.32. The improved aerodynamics are also responsible for the official fuel consumption figure dropping from 10.0 L/100 km to 9.9, which would add up to a few bob in your pocket over the life of the car. For Dashhawk users, the frontal area is 2.217m2.

While we’re discussing aerodynamics, no one will have missed the bonnet scoop that feeds the top mount intercooler. The stated aim of the new scoop is to reduce heat soak, allowing more consistent engine output. It also frees up grille space for more fresh air to be ducted to the intake.

Beyond the intake is essentially the same turbocharged direct injection engine and intercooler as before, still delivering 190kw and 380nm of torque. What has changed is the intake volume and boost pressure control that “suppresses sudden torque peaks for smoother, more linear torque characteristics.”

The gearbox has a taller 6th gear ratio for a quieter ride and improved fuel economy on the highway. In fact all the gears are taller, with ratios chosen so when you flat change at 6,000 rpm, the engine is dropped right back into the sweet spot of the torque curve. The shifter is moved closer to the driver and slightly higher. Outboard of the gearbox are stiffer axles which are intended to minimise torque steer.

The new car is slightly heavier, but the body shell itself is actually lighter. So how does a body that’s bigger and stronger get to be lighter? The entire car was given the Jenny Craig treatment with a “gram-by-gram” weight reduction program. The greatest single reduction came from increased use of 1,480 MPa ultra-high tensile steel, saving 11kg.

Body rigidity is a big deal when it comes to handling, and Mazda have paid a lot of attention to it. The list of strengthening changes is huge and includes additional spot welds, larger corner radii, stronger gussets, larger tunnel, stronger joints to the rear suspension towers and strut bars on the front towers. The result is a 48% improvement in diagonal displacement around the tailgate area. It also translates into an 11% improvement in NVH levels. But don’t ask for a sunroof, the engineers don’t like what a sunroof does to body rigidity, so it’s not on the options list.

Mazda is aware that the FWD platform of the 3 MPS could earn it some demerit points against RWD and AWD competitors and have gone to a lot of effort to provide a car with better handling balance, greater ability to get the power to the ground, and importantly, advice on the correct driving technique to get the best from this car.

The big news in the suspension department is revised spring rates which are softer at the front and firmer at the rear. These changes are aimed at improving the handling balance. And they work; chucking the cars through the undulating back section of the Canberra circuit under the expert tuition of Rick Bates revealed that a bit of trailing brake going into some corners will help the car retain a neutral balance. From there, it’s possible to induce some over-steer which allows you to get on the power earlier and find a much quicker way through the corner. Enthusiasts may no longer need to put a larger rear sway bar near the top of their mod list.

Speaking of sway bars, the mounting span has been increased to improve roll linearity, and there is also a stronger cross member, thicker cross-arm and the bushes have been optimised to improve lateral rigidity. There’s that word again!

Driver input is via a new electro-hydraulic power assisted steering system (aka EHPAS), which adjusts control to vehicle speed and steering angle. As a free bonus, there’s a reduction in the amount of power being robbed from the crank by the power steering pump.

There are larger wheels and tyres to compliment the new suspension, with 18 x 7.5 RX8 style rims running 225/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 2050s. Not only do you get more rubber on the ground, you also have a bigger and cheaper range of tyres to choose from when you need new rubber, compared to the rare and expensive 215/45/18s of the previous model. Brakes remain unchanged simply because they’re so good they don’t need improving.

So how does it perform? Testing the all important 0-100 km/h turned in a best of 6.1 seconds, however 6.3s can be done consistently. But like previous MPSs, the in-gear acceleration is where this car really does the business and it will still blow the doors off a BMW M3 accelerating from 80-120 km/h in any gear. What that means on the road is phenomenal overtaking ability.

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said about Mazda’s torquey direct injection turbo engine, but if you like the effortless push in the back from any rpm like a V8, without the high fuel consumption, get an MPS. With all that torque available - changing gears is optional.

Like I mentioned earlier, the technique for getting the best from the 3 MPS is to keep it balanced and keep it smooth. Chose your lines to straighten the car up as much as you can between corners. In the words of Rick Bates, “brake in a straight line, power in a straight line.” Although it’s usually true for any car, our laps on the skid pan proved that the most unspectacular laps were the fastest.

Brendan and Rick demonstrated that leaving the DSC turned ON is not only safer, it’s also quicker in terms of lap times. That’s useful information transferable to the street. It’s also your evidence that there’s nothing to be gained by turning DSC off.

My only criticism is the change to twin exhaust outlets. It seems the stylists finally scored a win over the engineers. There’s no need for an inline four cylinder engine to run a twin exhaust, except for the wank factor. It adds weight, it adds cost and the t-piece at the split would not flow as well as a straight single pipe.

So that’s one cross in the negative column and a whole bunch of crosses in the positive column. The 3 MPS just got a whole lot better. If you’re worried about the styling, don’t be. It took me about half a day to get used to it, and trust me, it looks a lot better in real life!

mania
25th August 2009, 12:58 PM
99% of that is just a marketing spiel. ie he goes on about mm by mm aerodynamic testing - yet its drag is nothing special. More then an astra station wagon, same as an astra 5 door. They could have easily fixed its styling flaws and kept the same coefficient..

And a whole paragraph on electric hydraulic steering? Prettty sure Mk4 Astra's had that, as do Mazda 2s, as do at least half the cheap cars you care to name - and they're all speed sensitive. That's why it's used.

Also I'm curious - does this car feature one of the first modern turbo engines that doesn't have a flat torque curve? - "In fact all the gears are taller, with ratios chosen so when you flat change at 6,000 rpm, the engine is dropped right back into the sweet spot of the torque curve."

I'm pleased the oz mps club like the car though, if they didn't it wouldn't have much hope would it :p.

EDIT: And the talk about weight reduction is nice and all, but I'm pretty sure the kerb weight is within a few bags of flour of 1500kg. So again, it just sounds like marketting speak. I think the writer must have just swallowed everything he was told at the test drive :p.

Wraith
25th August 2009, 01:08 PM
99% of that is just a marketing spiel. ie he goes on about mm by mm aerodynamic testing - yet its drag is nothing special. More then an astra station wagon, same as an astra 5 door. They could have easily fixed its styling flaws and kept the same coefficient..

And a whole paragraph on electric hydraulic steering? Prettty sure Mk4 Astra's had that, as do Mazda 2s, as do at least half the cheap cars you care to name - and they're all speed sensitive. That's why it's used.

Also I'm curious - does this car feature one of the first modern turbo engines that doesn't have a flat torque curve? - "In fact all the gears are taller, with ratios chosen so when you flat change at 6,000 rpm, the engine is dropped right back into the sweet spot of the torque curve."

I'm pleased the oz mps club like the car though, if they didn't it wouldn't have much hope would it :p.

EDIT: And the talk about weight reduction is nice and all, but I'm pretty sure the kerb weight is within a few bags of flour of 1500kg. So again, it just sounds like marketting speak. I think the writer must have just swallowed everything he was told at the test drive :p.

Your missing the point mania...

It's a comparison to and highlighting the improvements over the 1st MPS3 model ! re-read opening comments ;)

Besides, if you compare it to all those vehicles you've mentioned above, it'll be better than them and even their newer models in many if not most regards ;)

Still the haters will persist :p

Check out white, probably win you over :swg:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2qksb69.jpg

chrissn89
25th August 2009, 01:15 PM
still the haters will persist :p

check out white, probably win you over :swg:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2qksb69.jpg

Oh my, wow thats very sexy. Love it in white :D:cornut:

This car is slowly growing on me. One of my mates have a the new SP25 in the silver colour, it looks better every time i see it.

mania
25th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Haha, perhaps if the photo was taken from above of the roof, or below of the undercarriage... or even the back. Photo's of the front only vary in degrees of wtfery :p. Just me though, styling is a personal thing..

And ok he's comparing it to the previous car, but you have to ask:

Extensive aerodynamic testing: nets a worse drag coefficient (0.32 vs 0.31).
Extensive weight reduction: yields a heavier car.
Extensive styling: returns an overstylized, uglier car (imo).

What were Mazda's engineers on :p?

Wraith
25th August 2009, 01:42 PM

A successful recipe if the current sales figures and previously mentioned favourable momentum gaining are anything to go by ;)

And if Mazda Aust. had that white colour available, they'd have more sales/orders, as it seems most people who like one and have already got one would've elected for white and alot of people who didn't like it initially, now say thety'd buy one if it was available in white...

Wraith
25th August 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh my, wow thats very sexy. Love it in white :D:cornut:

This car is slowly growing on me. One of my mates have a the new SP25 in the silver colour, it looks better every time i see it.

Same here, liking this new Mazda 3 shape more and more everytime I see one, which isn't difficult as just like the last model, they're starting to appear everywhere...a sure sign of a successful vehicle model when sales are strong ;)

mania
25th August 2009, 02:04 PM
Same here, liking this new Mazda 3 shape more and more everytime I see one, which isn't difficult as just like the last model, they're starting to appear everywhere...a sure sign of a successful vehicle model when sales are strong ;)

I'd never question they have a successful vehicle model ;). Same as prius's, commodore's, smart's, micra's - all successful vehicle models :). Personally I don't want any of them though =/

Anyway I have to apologise, think I'm in a bad mood - snapped at the drive through operator because she kept on trying to upgrade my meal :p

Wraith
25th August 2009, 02:27 PM
I'd never question they have a successful vehicle model ;). Same as prius's, commodore's, smart's, micra's - all successful vehicle models :). Personally I don't want any of them though =/

Anyway I have to apologise, think I'm in a bad mood - snapped at the drive through operator because she kept on trying to upgrade my meal :p

LOL no probs. everyone is entitled to opinions, we can't all like the same things :)

I'm wrapped this new MPS3 appeals to me, because it certainly is one excellent package for a very good purchase price, if I were to seriously consider one :)

In the past I too have not gone for certain vehicles based purely on looks, even though they were a great o/a package and at a decent price...

MatsHolden
25th August 2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry couldn't resist. :p

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/mps3car.jpg

Milo
25th August 2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry couldn't resist. :p

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/mps3car.jpg

HAHA LOVE IT!
a friend at work got the sp20/23 model and i give him soooo much s--t about the face on it,he just denies it has a face! :rolleyes:

mania
25th August 2009, 02:41 PM
Rofl :p

MatsHolden
25th August 2009, 02:52 PM
In fairness, all cars have faces. It's a fact that the we subconsiously associate the front of cars with the human face. ie. Adjusting the angle of the headlights can make a car look more aggressive or more friendly, just like how a person looks more aggressive when they frown.

It's just that Mazda have been a little less subtle with their execution of the current design. Looks more like it's been spending a night on the wacky tobaccy...

Greg K
25th August 2009, 03:10 PM
And if Mazda Aust. had that white colour available, they'd have more sales/orders, as it seems most people who like one and have already got one would've elected for white and alot of people who didn't like it initially, now say thety'd buy one if it was available in white...

+1

i would buy one in white today of Mazda brought it out here!

rjastra
25th August 2009, 04:12 PM
Ahhhh MAzda's ongoing b*shit about the way it prunes weight... yet all their cars are getting heavier - lol.

As for quality... go round the back of a new MPS3... open the hatch then close it. Watch the spoiler wobble around. Or, look at the dash near the sat nav and notice the amateur job of covering the slot for the sat nav SD.

Wraith
25th August 2009, 04:24 PM
+1

i would buy one in white today of Mazda brought it out here!

Same here !!!

It's still top of my list (have to check out another 2 choices still) however after seeing it clearly in white, that would've sealed the deal as far as I'm concerned, in my eyes it looks very good in that colour, would be even better in the metal as I've seen an SP25 sedan in that white...it's metallic and looks awesome under sunlight :)

Wraith
25th August 2009, 04:29 PM
Hey Mat, work your magic on this...and I'll just wait to see what the knockers think, oh it's an Opel concept so it's all good even though it has Audi concept headlights, Hyundai coupe styling, big gaping front mouth and all :lol: :D :p

http://i30.tinypic.com/2ljkn0h.jpg

lithium
25th August 2009, 04:51 PM
As for quality... go round the back of a new MPS3... open the hatch then close it. Watch the spoiler wobble around. Or, look at the dash near the sat nav and notice the amateur job of covering the slot for the sat nav SD.

agreed. these two epic problems along with the lack of soft touch plastics inside the cabin show the poor quality of the new MPS ;)

MatsHolden
25th August 2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Mat, work your magic on this...and I'll just wait to see what the knockers think, oh it's an Opel concept so it's all good even though it has Audi concept headlights, Hyundai coupe styling, big gaping front mouth and all :lol: :D :p

http://i30.tinypic.com/2ljkn0h.jpg

I'll wait until the production version.. :p

Wraith
25th August 2009, 04:59 PM
agreed. these two epic problems along with the lack of soft touch plastics inside the cabin show the poor quality of the new MPS ;)

Have you actually checked one out Lithium ??

The only 'non' soft touch or hard plastics are well out of reach where the sat nav is located up high and back on the dash...

The main console has a pretty good quality feel to it - especially considering the cars price point and compared to other vehicles in it's price range !

For comparisons sake, go look at a 100+k Merc SL/K say and tell me it dosn't have just as much hard plastics in and around the cockpit area...

Wraith
25th August 2009, 05:01 PM
I'll wait until the production version.. :p

Ha you see - that's my point LOL too many brand biased haters here ;)

I'll bet if that thing above is released that way, the MPS3 knockers will say that open gaping mouth is the most beautiful thing they've ever seen :lol:

MatsHolden
25th August 2009, 05:04 PM
Ha you see - that's my point LOL too many brand biased haters here ;)

Hmm brand knockers? I did point out that ALL cars have faces, not just the Mazda 3. :cool:

lithium
25th August 2009, 05:12 PM
Have you actually checked one out Lithium ??

The only 'non' soft touch or hard plastics are well out of reach where the sat nav is located up high and back on the dash...

The main console has a pretty good quality feel to it - especially considering the cars price point and compared to other vehicles in it's price range !

For comparisons sake, go look at a 100+k Merc SL/K say and tell me it dosn't have just as much hard plastics in and around the cockpit area...

haha, it was said in jest Wraith :D i was having a go at rj (no offense meant rj) :)

i haven't checked out an MPS or any of the new Mazda 3 range so i'm not qualified to comment at all on this thread. when the time comes to buy a new car (looking like 2 years from now) we will probably be looking for something a bit larger than the 3 - although these new MPS3s will be around 30k then so they will be mighty tempting

i just find it amusing when people associate 'quality' with the colour of the plastic or how much the boot squeaks when you close it. to me the number one factor in a cars quality is the strength and longevity of the engine, then drivetrain, then chassis. i've always been a big believer in the engineering of Jap cars, but i won't open that can of worms here - i'm happy to have polka dots on my interior if it means the computer isn't mounted on the engine and the insulation on the electrical commponents won't crumble into dust in 5 years time!

dug74
25th August 2009, 05:59 PM
Haha, perhaps if the photo was taken from above of the roof, or below of the undercarriage... or even the back. Photo's of the front only vary in degrees of wtfery :p. Just me though, styling is a personal thing..

And ok he's comparing it to the previous car, but you have to ask:

Extensive aerodynamic testing: nets a worse drag coefficient (0.32 vs 0.31).
Extensive weight reduction: yields a heavier car.
Extensive styling: returns an overstylized, uglier car (imo).

You mean like this???

http://www.canadiandriver.com/galleries/2010/images/mazda/2010_mazdaspeed3/2010-mazda-mazdaspeed3_pw-019-4124.jpg

I personally am not a fan of the new 3MPS...but after seeing the pictures in white..

I have decided..if Mazda Australia bring white here...I have already signed.

Just with have T10 tint and shadow chrome OEM wheels.

As for the OzMPSclub.....course we love it...

More and more members have joined in the last month....123 to be exact.

Many have the new MPS and are loving it.

Anyways....i didnt expect many on here to like mazda....but it outsells your astra..even in the older style that was around for 6yrs. :p

Happy Motoring
duglet

mania
25th August 2009, 06:07 PM
Hah, I've definitely watched too much house :p

"McDonald's makes a better hamburger than your mother because they make more?"

dieselhead
25th August 2009, 09:16 PM
The Mazda 3 sells so well down under because there's something wrong with the local's taste in cars I reckon ;) I mean, in UK the Focus, a real hatch that looks like a proper car and not like a CARS character, outsells the 3 10:1. Vauxhall's hatches are also selling much better than anything Mazda there.

rjastra
25th August 2009, 11:17 PM

LOL... what I was indirectly saying is that Mazda is trying to compete in a market segment where these are oversights. It simply isn't about having the most power in the class. Otherwise you could spend the same and get a more powerful WRX.

USC
25th August 2009, 11:41 PM
The Mazda 3 sells so well down under because there's something wrong with the local's taste in cars I reckon ;) I mean, in UK the Focus, a real hatch that looks like a proper car and not like a CARS character, outsells the 3 10:1. Vauxhall's hatches are also selling much better than anything Mazda there.

Thats because they are a lot cheaper to service as parts are readily available and made close by (if not in the UK itself). Mazda would be an import and expensive.

Wraith
26th August 2009, 09:23 AM

AFAIK from recently reading U.K car publications on the MPS3 the Mazda range (or at least the MPS3) is only available there or brought in or imported in limited numbers...a bit like the VXR here, so there would never be too many around anyway...

Also AFAIK Mazda Aust. planned/expected the new MPS to sell around 70 units per month, it has already exceeded that, could just be initial uptake but as Dug's mentioned on the previous page there's been alot of new members joining the OZMPS forum as of late, so the car's popular already and same can be said for the rest of the Mazda 3 range as they're already appearing everywhere just like the last model :)

Wraith
26th August 2009, 09:25 AM
Hmm brand knockers? I did point out that ALL cars have faces, not just the Mazda 3. :cool:

Sorry Mat, not directly pointed at you :)

Wraith
26th August 2009, 09:41 AM
haha, it was said in jest Wraith :D i was having a go at rj (no offense meant rj) :)

i haven't checked out an MPS or any of the new Mazda 3 range so i'm not qualified to comment at all on this thread. when the time comes to buy a new car (looking like 2 years from now) we will probably be looking for something a bit larger than the 3 - although these new MPS3s will be around 30k then so they will be mighty tempting

i just find it amusing when people associate 'quality' with the colour of the plastic or how much the boot squeaks when you close it. to me the number one factor in a cars quality is the strength and longevity of the engine, then drivetrain, then chassis. i've always been a big believer in the engineering of Jap cars, but i won't open that can of worms here - i'm happy to have polka dots on my interior if it means the computer isn't mounted on the engine and the insulation on the electrical commponents won't crumble into dust in 5 years time!

Fair enough Lithium...:)

Just gets a bit tiring reading all the comments regarding hard plastics, boot rattles, shaking bits or whatever and all the rest of the 'cheap nasty' bits...

FFS people here need to go look at all the Euro 100+k vehicles in depth and discover they have similar or even worse attributes and problems and here they're knocking a 25-47k vehicle on such items :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned even a 100k to sub 200k SL/K has got hard plastics everywhere inside it, they suffer from rattles, windows don't go up and down properly and the auto transmissions are forever playing up or breaking down on them, I won't even get started on the entry level 50+k Mercs, they are a total POS, same can be said about alot of other expensive Euro brands which alot of people here hold in such high regard...

My fav. choice of car is still European exotica (only certain brands and/or models appeal to me) but can honestly say (disregarding looks as they are subjective) that when comparing the outlay needed and the total o/a package you end up with, these mainstream Japanese brands are a better buy :)

CORZZA
26th August 2009, 09:50 AM
After owning the previous generation I was invited to go test drive one in the hope that I would purchase one. Well I must say it is a huge diffrence from the previous model. Same engine however the suspension tweaks make it feel quicker and more drivable.

Its not enough to get me out of the Typoon though :D

lithium
26th August 2009, 10:46 AM
Fair enough Lithium...:)

Just gets a bit tiring reading all the comments regarding hard plastics, boot rattles, shaking bits or whatever and all the rest of the 'cheap nasty' bits...

FFS people here need to go look at all the Euro 100+k vehicles in depth and discover they have similar or even worse attributes and problems and here they're knocking a 25-47k vehicle on such items :rolleyes:

As I've mentioned even a 100k to sub 200k SL/K has got hard plastics everywhere inside it, they suffer from rattles, windows don't go up and down properly and the auto transmissions are forever playing up or breaking down on them, I won't even get started on the entry level 50+k Mercs, they are a total POS, same can be said about alot of other expensive Euro brands which alot of people here hold in such high regard...

My fav. choice of car is still European exotica (only certain brands and/or models appeal to me) but can honestly say (disregarding looks as they are subjective) that when comparing the outlay needed and the total o/a package you end up with, these mainstream Japanese brands are a better buy :)

agreed - actually i was talking to my mechanic after the recent timing belt change on my Barina and he said something very similar regarding the engineering quality of certain brands, including some of the prestige Europeans. he dislikes Opels and BMWs in particular, and tried to convince me to buy a Toyota as the next car :D

personally, i know i am going Jap next time - perhaps a nice 07 MPS 6 :) anyway, back on topic :)

Wraith
1st September 2009, 09:08 AM
Saw my 1st. spotting today of a new MPS3 on the road...out of all places parked right in front of my work this morning (Coventry St. Southbank) exactly as I'd want if I were to go for one myself - aluminium silver luxury pack, looked fantastic...:)

rjastra
4th September 2009, 11:53 PM
http://media.drive.com.au/unleashed-mazdas-new-mps-hothatch-714395.html

mania
5th September 2009, 01:20 AM
It's like a smiley hulk! With a little toupee. :p

Wraith I think you need to buy one. Sounds like your heart is set :)

Wraith
7th September 2009, 08:44 AM
http://media.drive.com.au/unleashed-mazdas-new-mps-hothatch-714395.html

Can't get the full article up rj ???

Think I've already read this one anyway, all the printed MPS3 articles from all over the World are up on the OzMps forum, have yet to read a negative one, some mention only a few negatives, but overall the car's very well recieved :)

Wraith
7th September 2009, 09:12 AM
It's like a smiley hulk! With a little toupee. :p

Wraith I think you need to buy one. Sounds like your heart is set :)

Not quite, but almost there mania and definitly not just going with my heart, but value for money factor as well, ie. in this specific 5 door hatch segment :)

Still have a Pug and the VW Golf Mk6 (1.4 TSI treadline) to fully check out...

I've given up on the Golf Mk5 Gti, simple reason is cost...by the time I get it the way I want it hits well over 50k and that's without DSG - no thanks !

Also looked at a Perrelli Mk5 Gti - make sure your sitting down for this one !!! optioned the way I want (ie. to similar kit level of new MPS3 luxury) but without sunroof (as you can't get sunroof option on MPS3) 55k and that's negotiating it down from an even higher price - no thanks !

I'm still wanting to acquire 2 vehicles for myself over the next 12-18 months, this one will be my main DD, it has to be a new vehicle purchase and I have a budget of 40-45k max.

So far I'm able to get a new MPS3 luxury for 44k drive away...and there's no other 5 door hatch out there that matches it in terms of equipment levels and bang for buck...

I'm still considering the Mk6 Golf Treadline, I love the 1.4 twincharger engine and the 7spd. DSG, but again to bring the equipment levels up to my liking brings it to almost the same or more cost than the MPS3...everything is an option on the VW's...the basic car is total crap in terms of what you get !

As for looks, IMHO o/a the Mk5 looks better ! if it wasn't for the Scirocco front end, this new Mk6 has absolutely nothing going for it in the external looks department, it just looks like a flat box with wheels on it IMO...

The interior though is an improvement over the Mk5 in terms of its design, I like the steering wheel (ie upper spec) and seats look nicer as well as the centre console design, but again IMHO it pales compared to the new SP25 and MPS3 dash/console/dials design...

The Pug in question is the 207cc both the missus and I like it, but definitely not for me as a DD, maybe for her later on :)

See what happens by years end as I'm wanting a 2010 plate vehicle, so whatever I get, it'll be at earliest Dec/Jan.

We also just recently purchased a new Honda City for one of the kids, picking that up at the end of this month :)

rjastra
7th September 2009, 10:14 AM
Can't get the full article up rj ???

Think I've already read this one anyway, all the printed MPS3 articles from all over the World are up on the OzMps forum, have yet to read a negative one, some mention only a few negatives, but overall the car's very well recieved :)

It was a video review (look on drive.com.au) Basically they reckon its not much of an update from the old MPS3.

As for Golf Mk 5 prices... you essentially can't option a car how you want because they haven't built any Mk 5 GTI/Pirellis for over 6months. Everything you want has to be in stock.
If you go to the VW blogs you will find people getting R32s with dsg for 55K on road. Pirellis (which is DSG only) for around $45K etc. Mk 6 118TSi from around 30K on road. Here is a spreadsheet of prices http://temp.jw.id.au/golf%20mk6.xls

To match a SP25 you really only need to option a 118TSI with the sports pack (lowered suspension, larger wheels, sports seats, privacy glass etc).

Wraith
7th September 2009, 01:03 PM
It was a video review (look on drive.com.au) Basically they reckon its not much of an update from the old MPS3.

As for Golf Mk 5 prices... you essentially can't option a car how you want because they haven't built any Mk 5 GTI/Pirellis for over 6months. Everything you want has to be in stock.
If you go to the VW blogs you will find people getting R32s with dsg for 55K on road. Pirellis (which is DSG only) for around $45K etc. Mk 6 118TSi from around 30K on road. Here is a spreadsheet of prices http://temp.jw.id.au/golf%20mk6.xls

To match a SP25 you really only need to option a 118TSI with the sports pack (lowered suspension, larger wheels, sports seats, privacy glass etc).

Thanks for that rj but I'm still leaning towards the Mazda over the Golfs, simply because you get alot more for the same or less money and long term as has been mentioned before, the Mazda has the much better resale value, which is important to me as I plan on an ongoing 3-5 year update...I am aware of the floor stock Golfs, but basic spec on any of those is not what I want, I'm seeking a certain amount of features/kit to be on the car and as said, I'm not going to go a cent over 45k and unfortunately with the VW's that's what I'd have to do to be happy with my purchase...

This car will not be my one and only vehicle, I have my vert and others and as said before I plan on purchasing 'hopefully' an Audi or the like longer term ahead, so am not really fussed on having an over the top DD...if this purchase was going to be my one and only car, I would definitely NOT be looking at an MPS3 - I wouldn't even be looking at this hot hatch segment at all !!! ;)

I would've been happy with an XR5T which were available months back for only 32-33k drive away, but missed out and now there's none left...

I am aware too of the suggestion in some reviews that the new MPS3 is not much of an update to the outgoing model - BUT remember they are talking about power and performance more than anything else on that point...with regards to features/noise control/safety/handling and cost it is a marked improvement over the old model and speaking for myself, I like the look of the thing :)

I can agree with those who have the outgoing model saying that it's not enough for them to want to upgrade, but that dosn't apply to me or other new buyers of this car...same too could be said of people wanting to upgrade to say a MK6 Gti - will it be that much of an improvement over the Mk5 to justify the cost or just keep the outgoing model ?? that's an individual decision...

The only VW I would've been really keen on is the Scirocco...but we won't see that vehicle here in the foreseeable future if at all ?? if it comes here one day down the track, I may update to one of those :)

Wraith
10th September 2009, 09:30 AM
It's starting to look real good for the new MPS3 as far as future accessories and mods are concerned...check out the link.

Should be some nice choices of alternative front bars and body kits and all matter of other chassis tuning for them, you just gotta love Japanese cars when it comes to this sort of thing...

Another tick on my short list in favour of the MPS3 :)

http://autoexe.co.jp/car/Axela(BL)/MS_BL.html

USC
10th September 2009, 09:43 AM
That new front bar without the badge looks really nice!!:) They even managed to get rid of the smile...I really like it!!

TheOperator
10th September 2009, 09:58 AM
I like all those parts which should really make it even better :D

As for me we loved our new MPS for the week we had it, but sadly in some respects it is going tomorrow to a new home :o

Long story short a guy had to have it and i named a stupid price and he paid it (6K more than i paid for it, but remember i bought it at employee pricing).

So now the decisions start again, do we buy another one and pocket the difference, or buy the new STi my Mrs has spotted and hasn't shut up about :eek:

Greg K
10th September 2009, 10:10 AM
mate, anytime that you can make money on cars (which isnt very common), is always a good outcome!

why not get another MPS3??

TheOperator
10th September 2009, 10:21 AM
mate, anytime that you can make money on cars (which isnt very common), is always a good outcome!

why not get another MPS3??

Basically the extra 6K we just pocketed is the difference i can get a new Impreza STi for working in the industry :D

Also it is her car and i refused to buy the STi (which is what she really wanted) because i didn't want to pay that much for a shopping cart, but now we have money for nothing it is tempting to go there:confused:

Greg K
10th September 2009, 10:27 AM
Basically the extra 6K we just pocketed is the difference i can get a new Impreza STi for working in the industry :D

Also it is her car and i refused to buy the STi (which is what she really wanted) because i didn't want to pay that much for a shopping cart, but now we have money for nothing it is tempting to go there:confused:

thats awesome!! id do it!

if you/missus doesnt mind the interior of the STi, then its definitely the shopping car to go for! not many bad things can be said about them! and if so, then its usually aesthetics

Apex
10th September 2009, 11:29 AM
Shopping cart, haha, the Impreza is far from that, would be hard to obtain one with as greater discount as other brands one would think.

Drove the new MPS the other day, performance wise I wouldn’t say it’s better than the old one, notably less torque steer, it’s a big leap up in all other places though. Both still pale in comparison to the Megane for driving pleasure.

Wraith
10th September 2009, 12:04 PM
thats awesome!! id do it!

if you/missus doesnt mind the interior of the STi, then its definitely the shopping car to go for! not many bad things can be said about them! and if so, then its usually aesthetics

+ 1

Agree - get the Sti if it's in that price range you descibe Operator ;)

If I could get an Sti for the same price as the new MPS3 I'd definitely do so...

What a shame you only had the MPS3 for so short a period - I would have been interested too :)

Wraith
10th September 2009, 12:07 PM

I'm getting a price today from a certain dealer for the new MPS3, (see if this weekends Mazda yearly sale nets any benifits or not), we'll see if it's good enough to go for now rather than sticking to my original plan of waiting for a 2010 plate vehicle...

Any recommendations Operator on dealer preferences you can give me - or better still can you get me one at a discounted price... :D

Wraith
10th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Shopping cart, haha, the Impreza is far from that, would be hard to obtain one with as greater discount as other brands one would think.

Drove the new MPS the other day, performance wise I wouldn’t say it’s better than the old one, notably less torque steer, it’s a big leap up in all other places though. Both still pale in comparison to the Megane for driving pleasure.

True that, they're more than a shopping cart, but that's what they're going to be for some of us :)

If I get an MPS3 it's going to be my daily hack or DD shopping duties and all, so not overly fussed on it being the best car, but definitely impressed for what you get with the outlay :)

Agree with your assessment of the new MPS3 - that's definitely the way I see it, similar in performance to the outgoing model (which is great anyway) but heaps better in most other respects...:thumbs:

Can't comment on the Megane, never driven one, but can't say I'd ever want to own one either, now there is one seriously ugly car LOL, it makes the new Mazda 3's look like beauty queens, big smiley face and all :D

New model Megane coming in the year ahead is much nicer though :)

Apex
10th September 2009, 04:08 PM
Is the Megane ugly? I haven’t noticed :D

I brought a car biased on looks once, big mistake :(

If you’re after a shopping basket why not save a few thousand and get an SP25, do they not come as well equipped?

imay
10th September 2009, 04:26 PM
I'm getting a price today from a certain dealer for the new MPS3, (see if this weekends Mazda yearly sale nets any benifits or not), we'll see if it's good enough to go for now rather than sticking to my original plan of waiting for a 2010 plate vehicle...

Do it Ange . . . you know you want to!

Still can't get past the smiley face though. Biggest spoil to an otherwise finely kitted car.

Wraith
10th September 2009, 05:00 PM
Is the Megane ugly? I haven’t noticed :D

I brought a car biased on looks once, big mistake :(

If you’re after a shopping basket why not save a few thousand and get an SP25, do they not come as well equipped?

Yep, just as well equipped + you can get a sunroof and the full leather interior (which is not what I want in a DD anyway) looks alot better than the interior of the MPS3 as well, so in some respects, the SP25 is better equipped if fully optioned...

But to answer your question, I can't pull away from the allure of the MPS if I'm to get a new Mazda 3 and am happy to pay the extra cost for it over an SP25, us car enthusiasts will always go that lil bit extra if we can ;)

Otherwise I'd just settle for a much cheaper car altogether, like the Honda City we've just purchsed for one of the kids - Vti L for $23,600 all up :)

Wraith
10th September 2009, 05:03 PM
Do it Ange . . . you know you want to!

Still can't get past the smiley face though. Biggest spoil to an otherwise finely kitted car.

I will if all pans out nicely...:)

BTW did you check the link I posted above, seems like there are kits on the way that address the front bar prob... :cornut:

mania
10th September 2009, 05:08 PM
Would be nice to see a kitted one :). Besides the front, rear, and some angled shots of the exterior it looks pretty good. Interior is nice, engine's from the old one (which is good), and has an lsd.. good deal. Fixed front bar would go a longg way to making it a great car imo.

Wraith
11th September 2009, 08:44 AM
Would be nice to see a kitted one :). Besides the front, rear, and some angled shots of the exterior it looks pretty good. Interior is nice, engine's from the old one (which is good), and has an lsd.. good deal. Fixed front bar would go a longg way to making it a great car imo.

Well this is a start (from link I posted on previous page) and looks pretty good...

http://i31.tinypic.com/33yowfc.jpg

There's also a whole heap of chassis tuning gear from this same company (see the link) :)

I've also seen alot of other lip and body trim and full body kits on the OzMps forum that make the new Mazda 3 hatch and sedan look fantastic...

There should also be hand held multi flash tune units available too in future for the MPS3, like you have for some other vehicle types along with the flash and PNP piggy backs you can get ATM.

If I get one, don't think I can resist not going for one of these flash tunes or PNP units that'll turn it into even more of a torque monster with about an easy 230kw and 440nm :cornut:

DirtyHarry
14th September 2009, 08:40 AM
i drove one of these new mazda 3 sport maxx over the weekend.
its only a 2L but its not bad. the interior is ok (its no european) but a nice car overall.
the front smile isnt as bad in that model because it has the honeycomb pattern (plus it was black), where as the mps that was next to it, looked terrible with that "grill" effect smile.
overall if im going to buy a new car, id really consider the mazda (im just curious if the stereo has some kind of rear rca outputs).

Wraith
14th September 2009, 09:07 AM
i drove one of these new mazda 3 sport maxx over the weekend.
its only a 2L but its not bad. the interior is ok (its no european) but a nice car overall.
the front smile isnt as bad in that model because it has the honeycomb pattern (plus it was black), where as the mps that was next to it, looked terrible with that "grill" effect smile.
overall if im going to buy a new car, id really consider the mazda (im just curious if the stereo has some kind of rear rca outputs).

Good question, not sure about that one DirtyHarry, you may have to ask...

With the SP25 and MPS3 they have blue tooth connectivity and they also have the option of the 242watt 10 speaker/sub Bose system...

Agree with what you said about the lower end model fronts, that's true...

Was the MPS there a velocity red one ?? I've noticed with that colour, it really makes the front smile over exaggerated, but not so much with the black or aluminium silver colours :)

The Maxx, Maxx sport and SP25 models also look hot in celestial blue IMO :)

DirtyHarry
14th September 2009, 10:01 AM
yeah they had the red one. the sports maxx had the blue tooth option too as well as the sat nav.
the dealer was very pushy though when it came down to the final price figure...they used all kind of tactics to try and get a deposit and sign the contract.
at one point he even had the "this car is on hold" board, and was asking me if he should put that on the car because other people were looking at it. lol i told him not thanks.
but yeah i wonder if it would be possible to swap that honeycomb grille and put it on the mps.
ohh and i found that the boot space in these mazda 3's isnt too bad either better than the imprezza rs.

Wraith
14th September 2009, 12:23 PM
yeah they had the red one. the sports maxx had the blue tooth option too as well as the sat nav.
the dealer was very pushy though when it came down to the final price figure...they used all kind of tactics to try and get a deposit and sign the contract.
at one point he even had the "this car is on hold" board, and was asking me if he should put that on the car because other people were looking at it. lol i told him not thanks.
but yeah i wonder if it would be possible to swap that honeycomb grille and put it on the mps.
ohh and i found that the boot space in these mazda 3's isnt too bad either better than the imprezza rs.

Thought so, ie. the velocity red colour makes the front end look worse than the other colours, it's why I wouldn't want that colour and I think it's what alot of people have based their opinions of the MPS3 on, because that's the colour that's been shown all over for the car...they should've displayed it at initial shows etc. in the aluminium :)

Here in Melb. Mazda had their yearly sale last weekend, I dropped into one dealer, but they weren't pushy at all...in fact I was told that the good deals were mainly on the Mazda 2 and 6 range only and there wasn't much better discounting to be had on the Mazda 3 range as they're already selling very well...

AFAIK the opening on the MPS3 front bar is a slightly different size to the rest of the range, so not sure you could change them over ?? you would probably devalue an MPS3 as well by doing that...

Better off going for an aftermarket front bar like the pic I've shown above :)

Boot space in the new Mazda 3 sedans is very big, they are afterall now a bigger car than before, the new Mazda 3 sadan is slighly bigger than the outgoing Mazda 6 sedan...

GreyRex
18th September 2009, 08:34 AM
Found this...

Rating: http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/rating_3.gif

Here’s a performance car that’s really coming out fighting!

The Mazda 3 MPS lost its title as the world’s most powerful front-wheel-drive hot hatch to Ford’s Focus RS.

So, the Japanese manufacturer has launched a new model in an attempt to redress the balance.

The 256bhp 2.3-litre turbo engine remains, as power was never the problem; control was. Mazda has concentrated on improving other areas, particularly the unruly chassis.

For sharper reactions, the body has been stiffened by 41 per cent, while a torque-sensing limited-slip differential is now fitted as standard. The suspension has been firmed up, too.

Other changes include an updated front end, Subaru Impreza-style bonnet scoop, chunky bodykit and unmissable rear spoiler.

These hot hatch add-ons take cues from the likes of the Ford Focus RS and Vauxhall’s Astra VXR. But have all the chassis updates managed to quell the 3 MPS’s torque steer habit?

Unfortunately not. On steep cambers and wet surfaces, the wheel writhes in your hands, and this can drain your confidence in corners.

Nevertheless, the steering is well weighted and, thanks to that clever diff, the fresh nose tucks in eagerly.

The 3 MPS is still incredibly fast in a straight line, and all that turbocharged torque makes it surprisingly versatile.

There’s so much urge on tap, the car is limited in first and second gear; only when you reach third does the car begin to fly.

It has a tendency to feel breathless above 5,000rpm, though.

The interior is more functional than stylish, and you get plenty of kit for the £21,500 price.

Yet the biggest problem for the 3 MPS is that the improvements may not be enough, as the hot hatch market has moved on.

Wraith
18th September 2009, 08:38 AM
Another review from Edmunds and again MPS3 shines...

MPS3 vs new Hyundai Genesis Coupe - some surprising results, the new Hyundai is a quick machine...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=157186#4

dieselhead
18th September 2009, 01:43 PM
I'd buy a supercharged version of that crap Korean car to be honest :) Other than that, I agree with the reviewer that said the Mazda has the sex appeal of a bread roll!

DirtyHarry
18th September 2009, 01:59 PM
is it a asian hot bread shop bread roll? or a franklins no-frill bread roll?

Wraith
18th September 2009, 02:02 PM
I'd buy a supercharged version of that crap Korean car to be honest :) Other than that, I agree with the reviewer that said the Mazda has the sex appeal of a bread roll!

Would that be regular, wholemeal or maybe a French stick :D

I suppose an AH 5 door hatch has so much more sex appeal than an MPS3...not :p

mania
18th September 2009, 02:18 PM
Astra J has more sex appeal then the pokemon styled 3 though :p (although I wouldn't consider many 5 doors sexy really =/)

Wraith
18th September 2009, 04:23 PM
Astra J has more sex appeal then the pokemon styled 3 though :p (although I wouldn't consider many 5 doors sexy really =/)

I agree ;)

But as said a million times, we will not be able to buy one of these, so it dosn't count or mean anything...

Right here and now in its class MPS3 FTW :cornut:

In 12-18 months time who knows, there are so many new models coming through 2010-2011 it's going to be confusing choosing a hot hatch...

mania
18th September 2009, 05:02 PM
I know! I was just thinking the same thing. Every company (bar Holden) seems to have two hot hatch lines now or in the pipeworks =/.

DirtyHarry
18th September 2009, 09:31 PM
holdens version of hot hatch current is a daewoo sourced sedan, where the rear boot is falling off due to poor workmanship.

USC
18th September 2009, 11:51 PM
holdens version of hot hatch current is a daewoo sourced sedan, where the rear boot is falling off due to poor workmanship.

How do you know the boot is falling off?? pics?

Wraith
22nd September 2009, 08:52 AM

I'd better warn that friend of mine who has a new Cruze :D

rjastra
23rd September 2009, 09:30 PM
Scirocco may make it here...
http://www.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news/volkswagen-scirocco-could-return-20090923-g2ba.html

dieselhead
23rd September 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll have the R version in white, thanks :)

USC
23rd September 2009, 11:41 PM
R version in Red :D

Wraith
24th September 2009, 08:45 AM
Interesting, very interesting we can only hope as I'm sure most of us would love to have one of these and I agree with you guys above, red or white would be the best 2 colours for one of those...

However that article dosn't confirm anything, all it states is that VW are still totally undecided about bringing the Scirocco to Aust. so we can't hold our breath...

If they do bring it in, it seems like it'll still be years away rather than sooner...

Are there any reviews yet of the R variant ???

I'm keen to know how well it does at putting 195kw and 350nm to the ground through the front wheels with a similar set up to the MPS3 rather than going over to a Focus RS set up...

chrissn89
27th September 2009, 01:22 PM
One of my mates is picking up his new Mazda 3 MPS luxury in the blue colour on Monday or Tuesday. Cant wait to have a drive of it :)

Ill lets you know what i think of it once ive driven it and had a close look over it :)

mania
27th September 2009, 04:14 PM
Saw a cruise of 5-6 of these today. Have to say, I don't know if it left a pit in my stomach because deep down I think they look good, or just from the hilarity of seeing several of these in a row all beaming at you. Probably a combination of the two.

DirtyHarry
28th September 2009, 08:26 AM
i find they have a bit of a weird side profile though.

USC
28th September 2009, 09:02 AM
i find they have a bit of a weird side profile though.

every car will have some sort of weird profile...nothing is perfect.

Wraith
28th September 2009, 09:07 AM
One of my mates is picking up his new Mazda 3 MPS luxury in the blue colour on Monday or Tuesday. Cant wait to have a drive of it :)

Ill lets you know what i think of it once ive driven it and had a close look over it :)

I'm sure you'll be duely impressed !!! :)