PDA

View Full Version : Access Points/Network Extenders

poita
3rd August 2009, 10:26 AM
Hey all, jsut your thoughts on these.

My wireless nwetowrk only gets about 20-30% signal up one end of my house.

Looking at running a wireless network extender/access point.

Anyone had experience with these?

Or another way to get better wifi at the other end of my house.

Currently running a wireless N modem/router.

Goes through about 4 walls and 15m~

HappySlapper82
3rd August 2009, 10:43 AM
Router behind another router? I tried this once and it was UGLY lol. Almost better of getting a new router, you can get routers with massive range now, and faster.

glider
3rd August 2009, 11:05 AM
using a Dlink DAP 1150 as wireless connection for the xbox... refuse to pay $150 for a shitty microsoft one... the DAP can also be used as an extender...

is an absolute BITCH to setup, has to be connected to set it up initially...

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/84747/D-Link/DAP-1150.asp

was $85 at umart...

poita
3rd August 2009, 11:39 AM
Router behind another router? I tried this once and it was UGLY lol. Almost better of getting a new router, you can get routers with massive range now, and faster.

mine cost about $300, its only that one spot in my house

using a Dlink DAP 1150 as wireless connection for the xbox... refuse to pay $150 for a shitty microsoft one... the DAP can also be used as an extender...

is an absolute BITCH to setup, has to be connected to set it up initially...

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/84747/D-Link/DAP-1150.asp

was $85 at umart...

will look into it :)

glider
3rd August 2009, 11:44 AM
has to be connected to DHCP over ethernet* to set up intially

alts
3rd August 2009, 11:44 AM
I have a 'low' signal but I really don't notice any loss of speed.

poita
3rd August 2009, 11:45 AM
browsing net is fine, streaming video from one computer to the other is the problem

glider
3rd August 2009, 11:46 AM
yes... not sure how it'd go tbh, tried do that with media center but that failed... but thats just media center...

AH08
3rd August 2009, 02:27 PM
Funny you should bring this up today. I just bought a shitty old Belkin N wireless router (for $90...I was desperate) and thought if it doesn't reach from one end of the house to the other I would use a wireless booster. no need, I get full strength at 20meters thru 5 steel frame walls. I don't know a great deal about computers (thats my sons job) but have you looked at boosters?

SSS_Hoon
3rd August 2009, 02:46 PM
faster then N?

I have a belkin wireless router and i can use it all throughout my house without any noticble dropouts.

Mainly used about 12-20m away in the downstairs tv room and streaming is fine with it.

We often stream avi files to the laptop and then use the HDMI output of the laptop on our LCD without any probs.

it goes through 3 walls plus a brick wall, that has a double doorway with no door in it though.

SSS_Hoon

poita
3rd August 2009, 03:25 PM
Damien (fuk i hope i got that right) that's basically the same reason i'm using it for.

Im racking up way too many hours on my projector ($450 a bulb at cost price) so i will be using my new LCD more for that.

might just be my house, nothing fukin works aounrd here properly hahahhaa

guy 27
3rd August 2009, 03:25 PM
I had a similar issue and my solution.
My desktop has a wireless card and was having bad issues with reception. I bought an extension cable(9m) for the antenna and now have 80% reception up from 10%.

Its a cheaper alternative than a booster or second router.

SSS_Hoon
3rd August 2009, 03:32 PM
lol, its Damian but all good hehehe.

could be your house i know my parents house is crap for it, same as mobile phone reception my parents house is crap for it.

Our comp room is at the front of the house and have the router in there ontop of the comp desk(cheap corner one from go lo or somewhere like that) it has 2 antenna on it that came with it and i find that they seem to be ok for it sofar.

We have had the laptop online down stairs aswell as the wii online also downstairs and still able to stream without any troubles. the laptop always has very good connection status. Plus at time i have used the wireless connection to go online on my N96 and all still good.

Ive been able to use the wireless on my N96 out the back yard, and the laptop worked in my car out the front on the road while i was downloading car error info.

Maybe try moving the router to the middle of the areas you would use it the most if possible.

Or try extending the antenna before getting a booster.

SSS_Hoon

poita
3rd August 2009, 03:36 PM
yer might have to move my router.
see if that makes a difference.

btw, i was hoping i got your name right fullstop, not the spelling hahhaa

SSS_Hoon
3rd August 2009, 03:55 PM
lol well yeah u got it right.

try moving it, and see how u go.

SSS_Hoon

AfterBurner
3rd August 2009, 05:23 PM
+1 for either moving it or buy a higher gain antenna - both even...

It will cost a lot less & give you much less headaches than running an access point + router, think about the possible troubleshooting when 1 farqs up..:yikes:

poita
3rd August 2009, 06:07 PM
my router has fixed antennas, so cant go that way

AH08
3rd August 2009, 06:16 PM
Just read on Whirlpool a bloke had the same problem and fixed it by putting a saucepan lid behind the aerials with the tips of the aerial in the middle of the lid and faced it in the direction he wanted,,,, reckons it boosted it back to normal. Worth a try....its free.

AfterBurner
3rd August 2009, 06:25 PM
Just read on Whirlpool a bloke had the same problem and fixed it by putting a saucepan lid behind the aerials with the tips of the aerial in the middle of the lid and faced it in the direction he wanted,,,, reckons it boosted it back to normal. Worth a try....its free.

That should work, basically like a satellite dish antenna...

Ask the missus first though b4 borrowing it. Make sure it aint glass too...:D

hazrd
3rd August 2009, 07:48 PM
LOL what a pissa, worth a shot though

pete arent the antennas replaceable on the PCI card? i can unscrew the one off my old dlink

AfterBurner
3rd August 2009, 07:53 PM
Pete's talkin bout the modem/rooter i fink...

poita
3rd August 2009, 08:13 PM
yer my modem/router is fixed antenna.

and the other device is a laptop

guy 27
3rd August 2009, 09:00 PM
This is a little neater than the saucepan.

Video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/840289/how_to_make_a_wifi_extender_antenna/

Template:
http://www.fingel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/windsurfer.jpg

poita
3rd August 2009, 09:08 PM
This is a little neater than the saucepan.

Video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/840289/how_to_make_a_wifi_extender_antenna/

Template:
http://www.fingel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/windsurfer.jpg

guy your a dead set champ!!

so gonna give this a go!!

will print it out on photo paper at work and make em tomorrow.

will post up results

SSS_Hoon
4th August 2009, 02:32 PM
looks interesting.

Lets us know how it went.

SSS_Hoon

sooty
4th August 2009, 02:43 PM
wonder how this would go in stopping my tv digital sender/receiver from interferring with my wireless..?

hazrd
4th August 2009, 03:19 PM
probably wont do much, the "windsurfer" only extends the range, since they are on the same band, will still be at each others necks fighting for the best coverage

gman
4th August 2009, 03:56 PM
wat he said.... ;)

sooty
4th August 2009, 04:05 PM
Ah k, just figured seeing as they said they could use it to deflect it away so your neighbours get a bad signal and can't steal your net, was hoping i could deflect the tv signal away from the wireless signal.

poita
4th August 2009, 04:59 PM
i reckon it may wok as you suggest ain.

if he says it delfects from his neighbours, then i cant see why it wouldnt help.

no harm in trying.

*currently cutting mine out*

gman
4th August 2009, 05:21 PM
It might stop the neighbours as the signal strength would drop and be to low of you aim it away from them.

But for two devices in the same space, if they are on the same band and competing with good signals then they would continue to interfere at the intended source of they are both in range... Maybe...

If you were aiming them in opposite directions and there was adequate distance for separation then it could possibly help I suppose.... :idea:

sooty
4th August 2009, 05:23 PM
It might stop the neighbours as the signal strength would drop and be to low of you aim it away from them.

But for two devices in the same space, if they are on the same band and competing with good signals then they would continue to interfere at the intended source of they are both in range... Maybe...

If you were aiming them in opposite directions and there was adequate distance for separation then it could possibly help I suppose.... :idea:

Yeah that was the idea, putting the windsurfer on the tv sender, and pointing it towards where the rumpus room is (and the receiver, but nothing else) in the hope that then my room and the rest of the house (oppo direction) won't suffer too badly from interference.
Ahhh well...can always just try and see what it does :)

gman
4th August 2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah that was the idea, putting the windsurfer on the tv sender, and pointing it towards where the rumpus room is (and the receiver, but nothing else) in the hope that then my room and the rest of the house (oppo direction) won't suffer too badly from interference.
Ahhh well...can always just try and see what it does :)

Can only give it a try mate... ;)

poita
4th August 2009, 10:26 PM
and here it is

results: in the loungeroom where i usually use it has gone from 50%-60% to 80%-100%
and the spot next to my tv where i was having problems 20%-30% to 60%-80%
syer has defin made a difference.
will keep an eye on it over the next few days jsut to make sure its that and not some freak of nature

http://i26.tinypic.com/auty1e.jpg

SSS_Hoon
5th August 2009, 10:54 AM
sweet.

But wouldnt haveing them behind eachother like that sort of counteract the first one as it would be bouncing back on itself.

What about turning the router on the side so u can have them both facing that way side by side instead of behind?

SSS_Hoon

poita
5th August 2009, 11:27 AM
they dont fit together too well.

im thinkin of building one big one, that will take in both anntenas.

like i said, its just an experiment.
these where done on 8x12, so might do em on 6x8 and see if they fit any better

HappySlapper82
5th August 2009, 05:13 PM
Have you taken the front one off to check your signal strength with just the one at the back? I would imagine that should work just as well

hazrd
8th August 2009, 12:37 PM
sorry but i just cant help but to piss myself laughing at this because its so simple and it works so well!! :lol:

mines currently under construction too ;)