PDA

View Full Version : Rant!

daaaaavek
31st July 2009, 09:40 PM
What is it with Holden and their spare parts prices .. ? :yikes:

Here is a list of parts I've recently ordered from the UK, and the ridiculous prices quoted by Holden:

Timing Chain Kit
Holden - $770
AutoVaux - $ 180

Balance Shaft Chain Kit
Holden - $770
AutoVaux - $212

Drive Belt Tension Roller
Holden - $405
AutoVaux - $80

Door Seal
Holden - $240
AutoVaux - $92

Sorry Holden, but I'm only calling your parts dept now if ever I want a laugh :)

sooty
31st July 2009, 09:43 PM
Even comparing dealership prices is hilarious.
Facelift 5dr taillights + bulb holders
Holden: $630
Vauxhall: $280

glider
31st July 2009, 09:46 PM
I wonder what would happen if we made a complaint as a group, and gave a list of actual prices on parts we have gotten overseas, compared with prices quoted by holden

USC
31st July 2009, 09:52 PM
Ford is very similar with their belgium focus and mondeo.

Vectracious
31st July 2009, 10:08 PM
I guess Holden are just counting on people not realising that Opel cars are like Commodores overseas and therefore spare parts are lot cheaper via places like Autovaux.

Also people who are not members on a forum like this would most likely accept that the parts would be more expensive because it is a "Euro" car.

Also the argument of complaining to Holden - 2000 members on here vs the 10's of thousands of Astra G/H's sold over the last 10 years - Holden probably couldnt give a fat rats clacker about us complaning. Even ACA or TT probably couldnt give a crap. Vote with your wallet and support Autovaux and buy the stuff from them - don't even bother giving Holden the time of day.

chrissn89
31st July 2009, 10:08 PM
I wonder what would happen if we made a complaint as a group, and gave a list of actual prices on parts we have gotten overseas, compared with prices quoted by holden
Today tonight or ACA lol

gmonkey
31st July 2009, 10:09 PM
holden would just blame it on import taxes and supply from opel being so costly etc etc its never THEIR fault ofcourse not :p

tomtom
1st August 2009, 12:40 AM

Holden will respond the same way as they do with all complaints/problems on the Astras - by doing nothing.

ChrisMaz
1st August 2009, 12:45 AM
Pitty they stock dick all for the Vectra :(

glider
1st August 2009, 04:48 AM
I guess Holden are just counting on people not realising that Opel cars are like Commodores overseas and therefore spare parts are lot cheaper via places like Autovaux.

Also people who are not members on a forum like this would most likely accept that the parts would be more expensive because it is a "Euro" car.

Also the argument of complaining to Holden - 2000 members on here vs the 10's of thousands of Astra G/H's sold over the last 10 years - Holden probably couldnt give a fat rats clacker about us complaning. Even ACA or TT probably couldnt give a crap. Vote with your wallet and support Autovaux and buy the stuff from them - don't even bother giving Holden the time of day.

you're preaching to the converted, just spent 1400+ on parts from autovaux... locally parts would have either been not avaliable or cost 3-5k I bet... Sometimes I wonder if it'd be an idea to setup a store over here to deal in getting parts for euros, not just opels... but getting the contacts overseas to get the trade prices would be no easy feat...

holden would just blame it on import taxes and supply from opel being so costly etc etc its never THEIR fault ofcourse not :p

you can only play that card so much, theres plenty of places to find info on import taxes charges

gman
1st August 2009, 02:09 PM
Thats how Holden try and make their money. They aren't making huge amounts on actual car sales so they rip you off in after sales service and parts...

It sucks and I haven't bought a part off Holden since I bought the car excepting in an emergency!!!

ASTRAY
1st August 2009, 03:20 PM
dunno about autovaux, but holden wanted $1200 for an alternator !

hazrd
1st August 2009, 03:29 PM
i stupidly paid $300 for a knock sensor :o

there were no aftermarket parts available, and the car was there in the shop, so i just went fk it, and paid the extra $200 lol

Calibrated
1st August 2009, 06:51 PM
Thats how Holden try and make their money. They aren't making huge amounts on actual car sales so they rip you off in after sales service and parts...

It sucks and I haven't bought a part off Holden since I bought the car excepting in an emergency!!!
same. only parts i have bought from holden have been

brake pads for the astra
plastic clips for the interior trim in the calibra.
head bolts for the calibra

surprisingly enough the pricing on those bits wasnt too bad, but anything else has been a laugh.

daiflu
1st August 2009, 07:38 PM
It seems to affect the reputation of the Opels too. On several occasions when I have recommended getting an Astra, I've had the reply "Oh, but I heard the parts are really expensive" or "If they break down they cost alot of money"

Taffy
1st August 2009, 08:01 PM
I emailed maybe six or seven Holden dealers the other week for the price of a new gear linkage and they varied hugely, from $350 right the way up to NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS! :yikes:

Got the bit off eBay in the end for £35

Today tonight or ACA lol

Lol I can see it now, they'd turn the story in to "German manufacturers ripping off hard working Aussie companies with ludicrous prices"

jn1
2nd August 2009, 12:40 AM
Hey guys I've recently become an astra owner and a member here. Just wondering what's the delivery time and postage costs are like on parts from the UK?

ChrisMaz
2nd August 2009, 12:55 AM
Hey guys I've recently become an astra owner and a member here. Just wondering what's the delivery time and postage costs are like on parts from the UK?

It varies mate. Most take about a week. Give or take a few days.

daaaaavek
2nd August 2009, 01:41 AM
If you're in a hurry you can pay extra and get it delivered in 2-3 days .. that'll cost about $120-$140 depending on package size and weight. Otherwise, postage will be about $50-$70.

All things considered, still cheaper than Holden.

blueraven
2nd August 2009, 12:11 PM
Glad you guys still use autovaux...

Still waiting on my royalty check :P

daaaaavek
2nd August 2009, 03:47 PM
What royalty cheque? (spelled properly)

blueraven
2nd August 2009, 03:54 PM
Haha... I was one of the first in australia to use autovaux to buy GM parts about 8ish years ago. They were discovered trough the Calibra club, and I started telling everyone on here about them and doing group buys etc etc...

Mark (if he is still at autovaux) jokingly promised me a royalty cheque years ago for "the australian arm of autovaux". I wonder how many thousands of dollars have been spent there because of us guys in the Calibra club being tightasses :D.

If you think parts for astra's are pricey through Holden, try parts for a calibra!!

USC
2nd August 2009, 07:04 PM
best thing guys - buy a corolla...reliable car and parts are cheap.

Keep'emRunning
2nd August 2009, 07:19 PM
..isn't that a girls car? :p (tic)

USC
2nd August 2009, 07:37 PM
yeh...:p but they seem to last forever and have fewer issues with quality.

poita
2nd August 2009, 10:02 PM
Haha... I was one of the first in australia to use autovaux to buy GM parts about 8ish years ago. They were discovered trough the Calibra club, and I started telling everyone on here about them and doing group buys etc etc...

Mark (if he is still at autovaux) jokingly promised me a royalty cheque years ago for "the australian arm of autovaux". I wonder how many thousands of dollars have been spent there because of us guys in the Calibra club being tightasses :D.

If you think parts for astra's are pricey through Holden, try parts for a calibra!!

yes its true, we are all tight asses.

mark still works there, and yes u can still hardly understand a fukin thing he says.

IF i ever need anything from holden i give em the part number, hoping that they dont realise it's for a calibra.
i swear they double the price as soon as you say calibra

glider
2nd August 2009, 10:09 PM
yes its true, we are all tight asses.

mark still works there, and yes u can still hardly understand a fukin thing he says.

IF i ever need anything from holden i give em the part number, hoping that they dont realise it's for a calibra.
i swear they double the price as soon as you say calibra

you reckon? heres a list of parts I got prices for from autovaux, prices seem pretty reasonable (no I didn't order THAT much)

90372466 Engine mount bracket x2 £55.86 + VAT each
90372450 Engine mount support x2 £18.60 + VAT each
90280874 PAS bracket x2 £57.17 + VAT each
90410645 PAS support x2 £25.65 + VAT each
+ bolts/washers for these x2 need more details - see above
+ ancillary belt to suit x2 £10.83 + VAT each

90 284 952 £40.21 + VAT
Inlet Manifold Gasket £4.73 + VAT Exhaust Manifold Gasket 11.50 + VAT
Rocker Cover Gasket £12.60 + VAT
90 451 441 £35.65 + vat
Water pump (24 409 355) £15.75 + vat
Timing belt kit £46.75 + vat
front swaybar ball joint x2 £7.30 each + vat
LH engine mount bracket (bracket between mount and gearbox) need to confirm £34 + vat
RH Front Bumper mount (90 347 937) £12 + vat (non uk stock)
baffle with seal (90528632) £20.95 + vat
screw M6 x 14 (as11095001) 57p each + vat
90 322 911 (Hose) £23.63 + vat

90 411 819 £85 + vat
clutch kit (to suit Flywheel 90448558 and gearbox 90465166) £103.95 + vat
transfer box to power steering reservoir hose £120 + vat (non uk stock)
head gasket set (head gasket, inlet, exhaust, rocker?) £49.35 + vat
head bolts x10 £11.40 + vat (set of 10)
baffle with seal (90528632) £20.95 + vat
screw M6 x 14 (as11095001) 57p each + vat

1235 522 435 Distributor Cap £26.20 + vat
Rotor £4.15 + vat

poita
2nd August 2009, 10:14 PM
holden double it, not autovaux ;)

and i dont think u have to pay vat.

i didnt for my wheels

hazrd
3rd August 2009, 10:40 AM
whats this vat stuff? i know its tax but what is it like an importing tax??

//offtopic

lithium
3rd August 2009, 10:46 AM
yes autovaux and the UK dealers are cheap but be careful because not all the parts are genuine. i recently purchased parts for my upcoming timing belt change and wanted all genuine parts...i could source a GM timing belt kit from the UK for half of Holdens price but i could not find someone who sold a genuine water pump, so had to buy one off Holden

there's nothing worse than putting in a cheapie pump then having it start rattling 1000km after the belt change, and needing to take it all apart again!

lithium
3rd August 2009, 10:47 AM
whats this vat stuff? i know its tax but what is it like an importing tax??

//offtopic

VAT is the European GST. i think if we buy parts from Europe we can get the parts VAT exempt :) instead we pay our local GST on arrival if the value of the parts is large enough

USC
3rd August 2009, 06:16 PM
yes autovaux and the UK dealers are cheap but be careful because not all the parts are genuine. i recently purchased parts for my upcoming timing belt change and wanted all genuine parts...i could source a GM timing belt kit from the UK for half of Holdens price but i could not find someone who sold a genuine water pump, so had to buy one off Holden

there's nothing worse than putting in a cheapie pump then having it start rattling 1000km after the belt change, and needing to take it all apart again!

If you buy it off Vauxhall, I dont see why they wouldnt be genuine?

blueraven
3rd August 2009, 07:48 PM

Everything i ever bought from them came in a GM bag or box, with corresponding gm part numbers. That included my timing belt kit complete with water pump for a Z20let...

daiflu
3rd August 2009, 07:55 PM

This is true, some of the parts I've bought from them have not been genuine. Aux belt, rocker cover gasket are some that come to mind, I'm sure there's a few others. The water pump I ordered was genuine though ;)

nuggz
3rd August 2009, 09:54 PM
This is true, some of the parts I've bought from them have not been genuine. Aux belt, rocker cover gasket are some that come to mind, I'm sure there's a few others. The water pump I ordered was genuine though ;)

i ordered my timing belt
and the kit that arrive was made by Gates, who originally made the kit for holden/vaux in the first place ;)

Im pretty sure they send the same stock that vauxhall workshops use over there, not just some dodgy yumcha shit

daaaaavek
3rd August 2009, 11:07 PM
Some of the so called non-genuine parts will be sourced directly from the OEM supplier .. so while it might not come in a GM bag it'll be the same part - probably cheaper since it didn't go anywhere near GM :)

lithium
4th August 2009, 02:20 PM
If you buy it off Vauxhall, I dont see why they wouldnt be genuine?

autovaux is not vauxhall :rolleyes:

lithium
4th August 2009, 02:27 PM
Some of the so called non-genuine parts will be sourced directly from the OEM supplier .. so while it might not come in a GM bag it'll be the same part - probably cheaper since it didn't go anywhere near GM :)

yes, some are from OEM suppliers which are equivalent to GM boxed - in fact my current coil pack is a Sagem which is the OEM supplier to GM.

my overall point (not directly addressed to davek btw!) is that some non-genuine parts are not from OEM suppliers and its up to you whether you trust their quality. for something like a drive belt i'd be happy with non-OEM, but not a timing belt

shame, i didn't find the geninue water pump on the autovaux website...i'll have to make sure i actually give them a call to check next time :)