30th July 2009, 10:45 PM
Couldn't stop laughing when I read this tell me it made tv

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=64626&vf=26

sooty
30th July 2009, 10:51 PM
yeah. made the news. 160 in a 100 zone in a '99 magna or something

mania
30th July 2009, 10:57 PM
Wonder how many 70+year olds do 100mph on a regular basis in other countries... and I'm not just talking about germany there.

tomtom
30th July 2009, 11:15 PM
"We're sick of hearing people's excuses. To drive at such a high speed is inexcusable, no matter what the circumstances," he said.

Thats a pretty shitty statement. I can think of an ARRAY of circumstances where driving at a highspeed is excusable.

1. When youre being chased by cops.
2. When youre trying to race someone on the road.

3. When your woman's water just broke and youre being chased by the cops AND Godzilla.
4. Zombie outbreak...Granted in a zombie outbreak there'd be lots of road blockage from people ditching their cars to run... but you get my point.
5. If you're a cop and you are rushing to an emergency
6. If you're a firefighter and youre rushing to an emergency
7. If you're a paramedic rushing to an emergency
8. When you hold the key to humanity's survival and need to use that key at [location] before [time].
9. When you have a bomb on your car that will detonate if you go slower than 100km/hr
10. When you're late for your hot date and this is her giving you a second chance after you were late last time and she left.

Thats just 10 off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many, many more.

lol.

Jokes aside, i really think that thats a really dumb statement. Surely in reality a time will arise when you need to take matters into your own hand to save a life or something.

I actually remember this from a segment of Today Tonight yeeeears ago.

TRUE STORY:

A man's wife had internal bleeding or something and he was rushing her to hospital because he coudlnt wait for teh ambulance to arrive - he could get her to hospital sooner.

Of all days, the man gets pulled over by a highway trooper (yes in the US). The trooper asks him why he was speeding:

Man: "my wife is dying please" *points to back seat where woman is dying*
Trooper: Licence and registration...

the trooper kept hte man there for over 15 minutes, querying him like there wasnt an emergency.

The man's wife died. The time the stupid trooper stole lowered her chances of survival and as everyone will agree, that trooper killed the mans wife.

So Mr Policeman, dont EVER say there isnt a circumstance. Sure, late for a meeting, yer - no meeting is worth dying for. But your dying wife in the back seat?

GG

gmonkey
31st July 2009, 12:09 AM
thats happened over west here too tomtom thats why st johns ambulance is in the shit cause there callout time was rubbish, guy in gingin (about 2 hours north of perth) called for ambulance, they said be about 4 hours or so at best, so he decided to go himself got caught by multinova doing 190km/h, accepted the demerits and palmed the fine off to st john (dunno if they took it but... doubt it)

tomtom
31st July 2009, 12:17 AM
damn. i hope i never get into teh situation but if i were, i'd probably just keep going and let them chase me all teh way to the hospital.

Figure is if they cant get an ambulance there quick enough, they'd be hardpresed to form a road block right?

... prolly not acutlaly. That'd be right.

gmonkey
31st July 2009, 12:21 AM
ya'd think paramedics might meet them half way atleast :p

Wraith
31st July 2009, 10:11 AM
LOL heard about this also early this morning - what's funny to me is that alot of people broadcasting it were commenting on the fact he was driving a Magna, like BIG deal...you can do that speed in a 1970's 50kw Corolla if you wanted to...speeding is speeding - 160km/h in a 100 zone is excessive, regardless of the circumstances.

nuggz
31st July 2009, 10:17 AM
LOL heard about this also early this morning - what's funny to me is that alot of people broadcasting it were commenting on the fact he was driving a Magna, like BIG deal...you can do that speed in a 1970's 50kw Corolla if you wanted to...speeding is speeding - 160km/h in a 100 zone is excessive, regardless of the circumstances.

agreed
160 in a 100 zone is excessive
but also agree with the fella's above
if i had a love one in the back seat dying, given the roads were quiet enough to do so safely, i would be pushing that right pedal and deal with the consequences later

Wraith
31st July 2009, 10:36 AM
agreed
if i had a love one in the back seat dying, given the roads were quiet enough to do so safely, i would be pushing that right pedal and deal with the consequences later

True...however I suspect in such circumstances most people would lose their minds and speed/take risks even on a crowded motorway...unfortunate fact of life and human nature.

Just got to hope that in the process they don't cause another case of someone almost dying or actually getting killed because of their actions in such a predicament !!!

JR
31st July 2009, 11:19 AM
agreed

+1
i'd do the same n plant my right foot down. i ain't gonna let some stupid cop stop me if my loved one is in need of urgent medical attention.
he can chase me all the way to the hospital if he wants, n deal with me at the hospital then.

back on the topic - at the rate they're going, vic police is gonna need bigger car lots to hold all these impounded vehicles!!!

boorny88
31st July 2009, 12:16 PM
Fuuniest thing out there the dude wont have a licence now if they make him do a hole new test for his age lol

rjastra
31st July 2009, 03:18 PM
1. Most people on here have no idea how to assess an injury and determine if it is life threatening.
2. You may not even know where the closest emergency department is.
3. You can't provide any medical assistance while driving to hospital. That can be provided by a paramedic in an ambulance
4. The very act of picking up the victim, placing in the car and then driving could cause the injury that is fatal.
5. Extreme injuries can be attended to by an air ambulance - faster than any car.
6. Extreme emotional situations are not condusive to good driving = any accident perhaps.

boorny88
31st July 2009, 03:25 PM
this threads about an old hoon were did that come from lol

ROCCO
31st July 2009, 04:31 PM
the crap thing is this bloke got slapped with a warning and had his car impouned for 2 days.....NO LOSS OF LICENCE....but I tell you had it been a 19 year old p Plater he would have been on the ground and beaten to within an inch of his life with the night stick...had his car crushed and licence torn up...
Two lots of rules in victoria....BS all round

Wraith
31st July 2009, 04:53 PM
this threads about an old hoon were did that come from lol

Don't worry, most threads run off on a tangent :)

There are some very factual points there in rj's post though relating to comments in other peoples posts...

Vectracious
31st July 2009, 10:19 PM
love how with threads like these it straight away turns to cop bashing :rolleyes:

Also to all the people justifying when to speed - I bet you if a family member or friend of yours was killed by someone speeding for whatever reason, you'd be the first to throw the book at them. :rolleyes: x 2

mania
1st August 2009, 12:33 PM
Apparently over-the-limit speeding is responsible for very few deaths though, typically cited at between 1.5 and 5%, condolences to those that have suffered though.

I differentiate between over-the-limit speeding and under-the-limit speeding (ie going through an intersection too fast, but legally, or driving at the speed limit in the wet), as the government combines those statistics when they are preparing their speed camera stats. Which is stupid, considering that speed cameras only catch the former..