PDA

View Full Version : Team Vodafone Switch to Holden

MatsHolden
28th July 2009, 07:41 PM
It's expected to be announced in the coming days (as early as tomorrow) that Triple Eight Race Engineering (Team Vodafone) will be switching to Holden next year. HRT will remain the 'factory' Holden team but Triple Eight will be the only other Holden team to recieve funding from the company.

This will see the return of Lowndes and Whincup to the red side of the fence.

Nurb608
28th July 2009, 07:45 PM
Good news, and brings them inline with their BTCC side running the vauxhalls

[OPCSRi]
28th July 2009, 07:45 PM
Good to see they have finally seen the light. I don't think they will be the only ones moving over to Team Red.

poita
28th July 2009, 07:47 PM
wow big move

wonder if the fact lowndes and whincup both signing 3 yr deals had an influence

but obviously been in the works for a while, not an over night thought

MatsHolden
28th July 2009, 07:49 PM
Writing was on the wall when Ford pulled their funding for Triple 8. Still, I think it was a bit of a wank with them refusing to put the Ford bades on their cars this year because of that. Roland Dane's a bit of a sook.

bender
28th July 2009, 07:53 PM
well least they wont have to change the colour scheme its already holden colours :D

xplosv57
28th July 2009, 08:03 PM
All i can say is F*** yeah!!! Loved Whincup and Lowndesy but my passionate hate for Ford meant i could never support them, plus HRT has never been the same since Skaifeys departure so im pretty sure i know which team i'll be going for next year!!

bender
28th July 2009, 08:17 PM
All i can say is F*** yeah!!! Loved Whincup and Lowndesy but my passionate hate for Ford meant i could never support them, plus HRT has never been the same since Skaifeys departure so im pretty sure i know which team i'll be going for next year!!

+1 with this :cornut:

hazrd
28th July 2009, 09:40 PM
been talkin to my mate whos an avid 888/ford fan

my god is he pissed lol

poita
28th July 2009, 09:43 PM
should see steves facebook, i think i started WW3

kabel
28th July 2009, 11:02 PM
Oh the fun is going to start at work with the staunch Ford supporters
YOU BEAUTY !

glider
28th July 2009, 11:16 PM
wow... wasnt expecting that... but I don't really follow V8s

btm
29th July 2009, 07:59 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25851213-5018894,00.html

xplosv57
29th July 2009, 09:11 AM
should see steves facebook, i think i started WW3

Yeah thanks gonna have to hear about it the whole wkend now!

Keep'emRunning
29th July 2009, 11:43 AM
The whole ford/holden debate doesn't really bother me anymore, moreso when teams/drivers change branding to further their careers or earn more money, or get around the politics involved. Where's the loyalty gone in V8 racing? How can teams expect fans to support them when they do these sorts of things. Lost me a long time ago.

In any case, the whole ford/holden thing is mute, under the skin there's very little resemblance to cars rolling off the line anyway.

And gone forever is the phrase, 'Race on sunday, buy on monday' :(

btm
29th July 2009, 11:48 AM
loyalty in most sports went out the window quite some time ago...

hazrd
29th July 2009, 01:44 PM
lol, ive had a few nasty txt's today from ford fan mates now... i just keep asking them if it was the team they followed then should it matter what car they race in??

*opens can of worms*

edit - just got another text from another mate... "As a lowndes fan i dont think i can support him anymore"
lol

MatsHolden
29th July 2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/site/_content/photogalleryitem/00103510-Photo.jpg

http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/site/_content/photogalleryitem/00103529-Photo.jpg

http://www.holdenmotorsport.com/site/_content/photogalleryitem/00103530-Photo.jpg

Shaun
30th July 2009, 07:39 AM
Lowndes back where he started. I always said he would come back Home. Just Like Peter Brock did in the early 90's

MatsHolden
30th July 2009, 05:02 PM
Lowndes back where he started. I always said he would come back Home. Just Like Peter Brock did in the early 90's

Wasn't Lowndes' choice though. He wouldn't have come back if it wasn't for 888 switching.
Brock returend of his own accord.

OPC
1st August 2009, 09:56 PM
The whole ford/holden debate doesn't really bother me anymore, moreso when teams/drivers change branding to further their careers or earn more money, or get around the politics involved. Where's the loyalty gone in V8 racing? How can teams expect fans to support them when they do these sorts of things. Lost me a long time ago.
' :(

dont take this as a personal attack

i still supported brockie when he went to FORD

i supported lowndes when he went to ford and ill support him now he`s back at holden

i support any person who changes what he/she does in sport to further their $$$ ways
FFS we do it , we change jobs for better $$$ and conditions
so why do we jump up and down when a sports person does the same thing

im not saying YOUR jumping up and down, so dont take this as a personal attack

GO HOLDEN, gunna ring my mate and sling shit now

Keep'emRunning
2nd August 2009, 12:33 PM
yep you've got a good point there.. ;)

I grew up with the rivalry between moffat/brock/johnson etc and the distinct brands (ford/holden/mazda/nissan etc...) Just seemed to make the racing so much more intense and interesting to watch all the way to the outcome.

Not too say that there's not a lot of competition nowadays.. never used to see drivers come to blows over a race altercation! hahah

ASTRAY
2nd August 2009, 02:19 PM
been talkin to my mate whos an avid 888/ford fan

my god is he pissed lol
i am too, i dont want lowndes or whincup.
lowndes apparently left holden because holden were being pricks to him,,,,
whether he is driving holden or ford, ill still laugh when he crashes or his car is unfit to race.
i was at the syd motor show in the year he changed to ford.
a whole bunch of people were rushing to a area and my mates and i were curious at to what the rush was about.
as soon as one of my mates said "lowndsy" i done a u turn and walked away. holden helped him build his name and his fame. then he shat on them. he can get fkd for all i care.
as for whincup, im not 100% certain but i think he has always been a ford driver in the v8s championship, and thats where he can stay.
if he did actually start with holden, then same applies as lowndes.

im all for the loyalty thing that "keep em running" mentioned.

same with nrl.

i think you are selling yourself out if you switch to the "enemies" side just for cash.

imagine going to war, and being offered 1mill to fight for the nazis...
sure its not the same thing, not as extreme, but its still the same morals.

ASTRAY
2nd August 2009, 02:22 PM
In any case, the whole ford/holden thing is mute, under the skin there's very little resemblance to cars rolling off the line anyway.

And gone forever is the phrase, 'Race on sunday, buy on monday' :(
so true, bring back the days they used to race stock cars. sure upgrade the shocks and tyres a little , add a wing and other bodykit peices, but keep it as stock as possible.

xplosv57
2nd August 2009, 04:02 PM
i am too, i dont want lowndes or whincup.
lowndes apparently left holden because holden were being pricks to him,,,,
whether he is driving holden or ford, ill still laugh when he crashes or his car is unfit to race.
holden helped him build his name and his fame. then he shat on them. he can get fkd for all i care.
as for whincup, im not 100% certain but i think he has always been a ford driver in the v8s championship, and thats where he can stay.
if he did actually start with holden, then same applies as lowndes.

im all for the loyalty thing that "keep em running" mentioned.

same with nrl.

i think you are selling yourself out if you switch to the "enemies" side just for cash.

imagine going to war, and being offered 1mill to fight for the nazis...
sure its not the same thing, not as extreme, but its still the same morals.

Lowndes originally left Holden because even though he was the best driver of that time, he was always treated like the second driver behind Skaife, so in his eyes pretty unfair!! Sure he didn't have to jump ship and go to Ford, could've just gone to another Holden team, but he saw the future success in the Ford team (took alot longer than expected) and decided to go there!!

I don't like that he went to Ford, but i, with alot of other people will be happy to welcome him back to the General!!

As for Whincup, he drove Holdens up until 2006, the reason for swapping over for him was getting a chance to drive for a successful team, before then he was either in low placed teams or just doing endurance rounds.

So if you were to be offered success, you'd take it, wherever you had to go!!

Funny you mention footy, because with AFL (and im sure NRL too), it is very hard when starting off in the big league that you will actually get a chance to play for the team you've actually supported all your life, but when they get given an opportunity to play the game at the highest level, any player would take it, regardless of team!!