PDA

View Full Version : New speed laws & penalties - [NSW]

Greg K
21st July 2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/speeding.html?rrlid=speedingpenalties

What penalties apply for speeding in NSW?

If your vehicle is detected by a fixed speed camera, mobile speed camera or Police Officer and a penalty notice is issued, you will incur a fine and licence demerit points. P1 licence holders will have their licence suspended for at least 3 months for any speeding offence.

There are licence suspension periods, similar to the minimum disqualification periods applied by a court, for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 km/h (3 months), and by more than 45 km/h (6 months).

If police catch you speeding by more than 45km/h over the limit you may have your licence immediately suspended and confiscated at the roadside for 6 months.

Note: since 21 May 2007 increased fines and demerit points apply to certain traffic and parking offences committed within operating school zones.

Greg K
21st July 2009, 10:33 AM
the link shows how the infringments have changed as of 1/07/09

tomtom
21st July 2009, 10:43 AM
If police catch you speeding by more than 45km/h over the limit you may have your licence immediately suspended and confiscated at the roadside for 6 months.

Yep. Learnt my lesson last year.

DONT DO IT KIDS. Save it for the track. SOOOO much more worthwhile and safe.

Wraith
21st July 2009, 12:58 PM

Sound advice ! ;)

mania
21st July 2009, 02:27 PM
I don't understand. If you challenge a 5kmh over ticket, ($84), and you manage to annoy the judge... they can fine you $2200?

Wraith
21st July 2009, 04:06 PM
I don't understand. If you challenge a 5kmh over ticket, ($84), and you manage to annoy the judge... they can fine you $2200?

It's got to do with the time the judicial system has to put in to hear your case and also I suspect to put people off trying !

If you lose, they want you to fork out some of the costs to pay for the time of all involved/concerned...

I know it's not fair/right, but they are the powers that be, nothing you can do about that part of it...

hazrd
21st July 2009, 09:30 PM

+1... did my time... never again

It's got to do with the time the judicial system has to put in to hear your case and also I suspect to put people off trying !

If you lose, they want you to fork out some of the costs to pay for the time of all involved/concerned...

I know it's not fair/right, but they are the powers that be, nothing you can do about that part of it...

hence my never again... went to court.. lost.. $1600 later :yikes:

Snotty
21st July 2009, 09:46 PM
do you have to go to court for between 30 and 45?

Greg K
22nd July 2009, 07:16 AM

no Snotty, more than 30 km/h but not more than 45 km/h will get you 5 demerit points and a $647 fine. I believe that if you are charged with other driving offences, then thats when you face up to court.

Wraith
22nd July 2009, 08:34 AM

Not automatically unless as noted above by Greg, but you could go to court with any traffic infringement ' if ' you decided to contest it...

All up to the individual as to how they react to a certain fine/alleged offence and what to do about it...

Numerous cases of people going to court over a 3-5km/h over the limit infringement, 6-12 months and thousands of $$$ later, some win others loose...ACA (A Current Affair) love to document the winning cases for ratings LOL...

Snotty
22nd July 2009, 09:08 AM
well ive always tried to budget to be caught <30, fines points and even suspensions i can deal with, but court is a pita.

last fine was 119 in a 90.... 29 perfect :)

Wraith
22nd July 2009, 09:39 AM
well ive always tried to budget to be caught <30, fines points and even suspensions i can deal with, but court is a pita.

last fine was 119 in a 90.... 29 perfect :)

LOL I'd say you have a very accurate speedometer in you car to achieve that :)

Keep'emRunning
22nd July 2009, 09:39 AM
.. a few years back we saw an injured cat on the side of the road on the way home from the movies.. my partner and I decided to rush him to a vet about 10k's away. Sure enough, passed an unmarked cop car waiting to turn at some lights and he pulled me over.

Was 15k's over the limit according to him (no radar,he based it on how long it took him to catch up!) and all the pleading to him about the injured animal in the backseat went unnoticed..in fact he took his sweet time checking all my details.. what a totally unsympathetic pr*ck. This was at 11pm and there wasn't a car in sight, so 10k's over on well lit 3 lane highway wasn't exactly dangerous.

Never bothered to fight it, who has the time these days to front up to court? Just keep telling myself karma will catch up with a**holes like that..

Snotty
22nd July 2009, 10:21 AM
LOL I'd say you have a very accurate speedometer in you car to achieve that :)

no it was a fluke, he got me coming out of a bend which id slowed down for, considering it was pitch black and he was 100 metres ahead of me, if he'd let me speed back up for the straight he wouldve got me for more, but he jumped the gun and switched his lights on too early.

needless to say, i copped the fine sweet....