PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning windows?

USC
19th July 2009, 01:59 AM
Have you guys noticed that Windows are actually full of swirl marks and scratches!! Im begining to notice it on my car, specially at night with a torch:eek:

What the best product to clean windows and prevent scratches? Is there any way of polishing them put (I dont want to call a glazier to polish it with a buffer and jeweller rouge) - just something manual that will make the window smoother.

MAD-16V
19th July 2009, 03:06 AM
Autoglym glass polish.

USC
19th July 2009, 03:16 AM
hmm... tried that..its OK but can cause more scratches if you polish too keenly. Ive heard of zaino or something...could that work?

daiflu
19th July 2009, 08:16 AM
wet newspaper, followed quickly by dry newspaper.
I have never found anything that cleans windows better.

Scrunch up two medium sized balls, wet one leave the other dry, do small areas at a time. The more elbow grease, the better the finish.

USC
19th July 2009, 12:55 PM
Cheers, thanks mate. Will give that a go. I have never seen glass windows that scratches so easily!

Metro1288
19th July 2009, 07:11 PM
How are you getting the scratches?

ROCCO
19th July 2009, 08:51 PM
sex on the windscreen while wearing a belt...

USC
19th July 2009, 11:16 PM
I had some water marks which I polished with Autoglym (that left more scratches). I had the knights windscreen repair people over, they polished the scratches out with their machine for $99(worked nicely), then charged me another $99 to hand polish all the windows with jewellers rouge to remove all water marks- in the sunlight, now I can see swirl marks everywhere ...(not deep - but annoying marks).

I will try the newspaper trick with glass cleaner...I may be a bit too pedantic..lol

hazrd
20th July 2009, 11:43 AM
just dont do it on the tinted side :eek:

Ice
20th July 2009, 11:50 AM
wet newspaper, followed quickly by dry newspaper.
I have never found anything that cleans windows better.

Scrunch up two medium sized balls, wet one leave the other dry, do small areas at a time. The more elbow grease, the better the finish.

Yep ive found nothing beats newspaper and some warm water so a +1 here.

Ice
20th July 2009, 11:52 AM
hmm... tried that..its OK but can cause more scratches if you polish too keenly. Ive heard of zaino or something...could that work?

Zymol !

Its the best you can get....unless money is falling out of your pockets use newspaper, haha

daiflu
20th July 2009, 11:57 AM
yea, no need to use glass cleaner with the newspaper. In fact I've tried it and water works better.
It really is the best way to clean windows, cheap too!
You need to get the wet part pretty damp and spongy, and keep the dry part dry, and as mentioned the final finish is proportional to the amount of elbow greese used. You're arms will be burning by the end.

HoldenAstra
20th July 2009, 04:14 PM
Hi mate,have a look at this,maybe helpful:o
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95965

darkirv
20th July 2009, 04:49 PM
couldnt go wrong with newspaper :) always used newspaper and even windex sometimes lol

Neeko
20th July 2009, 05:42 PM
Sprayer Bottle
Tiny amount of baby shampoo
NON-scratch scourer
squeegee

then you've never seen a cleaner window.

[OPCSRi]
20th July 2009, 06:12 PM
A clean chamois not damp and a clean cotton rag for the inside. Outside i use Autoglym glass polish.

USC
20th July 2009, 06:41 PM
Hi mate,have a look at this,maybe helpful:o
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95965

OMG - this guys is crazy...I wish we had someone like that in melbourne...I would trust him with my car:)

My car is not tinted..it was only cleaned on the outside. I noticed a lot of the marks are also from wiper action!! damn...the glass must be soft.

but Ill definitely give it a go with newspaper.:)

Neeko
20th July 2009, 07:25 PM
OMG - this guys is crazy...I wish we had someone like that in melbourne...I would trust him with my car:)

My car is not tinted..it was only cleaned on the outside. I noticed a lot of the marks are also from wiper action!! damn...the glass must be soft.

but Ill definitely give it a go with newspaper.:)

you'll also find that the properties of the glass change if it always has a wiper running over it. Easy to notice when cleaning the car, suds wont really stick on the wiped surface.
Same goes to drivers side window, gets wound down the most and thus having changed the glass again. Sometimes they get that bad that a different solution has to be used to tint it :) way of topic lol

HoldenAstra
20th July 2009, 09:45 PM
haha...
wipers do scratch the windscreen and then the bad night view.
after I had the new windscreen, I clean my windscreen and wipers' rubber with a microfibre cloth every time before I drive it out.it's a 2 minutes job:D

USC
20th July 2009, 11:05 PM
you'll also find that the properties of the glass change if it always has a wiper running over it. Easy to notice when cleaning the car, suds wont really stick on the wiped surface.
Same goes to drivers side window, gets wound down the most and thus having changed the glass again. Sometimes they get that bad that a different solution has to be used to tint it :) way of topic lol

yeh, I did notice a lot of cars have marks going up and down on the side windows. I reckon manufacturers should use harder glass. Everything newer seems to look better/handle better etc but is very cheaply made also. A good example is all the silver bits inside a lot of cars..this stuff scratches VERY easily...off topic:p

CDXIJET
21st July 2009, 12:43 AM
I use 50% water 50% metho in a spray bottle and that works a treat ,have been using this mix since I was a car detailer .......don't use window cleaner like windex on the car it's garbage .........