i got my message today.. overall not really a fan the more i thought about it

poita
16th July 2009, 06:33 PM
was waiting for you to reply :lol:

reading a few reviews, they reckon the processor is too slow for the software

Calibrated
16th July 2009, 07:04 PM
Been waiting for what seems like years
short compared to the wait for the xperia to be launched :mad: but i have one now :D

Kudrow
16th July 2009, 08:39 PM
short compared to the wait for the xperia to be launched :mad: but i have one now :D

Pete doesn't like the Xperia. I like mine...at times...

gslrallysport
17th July 2009, 07:47 AM
reading a few reviews, they reckon the processor is too slow for the software
Don't tell me that I get mine on Tuesday! :o

Calibrated
17th July 2009, 08:32 AM
Pete doesn't like the Xperia. I like mine...at times...
yeah it does have a few shortfalls. but overall its good. cant wait for skymarket to launch.

SSS_Hoon
17th July 2009, 09:15 AM
yeah seen the new N97 its the same price as my N96 not happy Jan.

Not sure if i like the fact that its still going to be too slow, the n96 is slow as all hell when first released but with the firmware update its a tad faster and more reliable now.

I think by the time the N110 is out nokia will have it all correct LOL

SSS_Hoon

poita
17th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Don't tell me that I get mine on Tuesday! :o

well thaey are interwebz reviews, you know how accurate they are.......

throw up your thoughts when you get it mate

hazrd
17th July 2009, 01:00 PM

+1 Greg... :)

mania
17th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday... now optus tells me next thurs. Was pretty annoyed.

Just want it for the keyboard and camera really :) (and gps and radio transmitter)

hazrd
17th July 2009, 01:13 PM
Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday... now optus tells me next thurs. Was pretty annoyed.

Just want it for the keyboard and camera really :) (and gps and radio transmitter)

so really just the keyboard :p
the N85 has all that except for the funky keyboard

mania
17th July 2009, 01:40 PM
I meant over the recent competition, but you're right.. an n95 would have served me fine :).

gslrallysport
20th July 2009, 08:46 AM
well thaey are interwebz reviews, you know how accurate they are.......

Will do. I've in 8 years of owning a mobile (about 6 phones) always had Samsung, so turning to the dark side [Nokia] is going to take alot of convincing! :D

Should get it Thursday now for some reason. Got the SMS from Optus yesterday saying make sure I'm available at the address to sign for it on Thursday between 8-5...

R3N
20th July 2009, 01:46 PM
was tossing up getting an n97, but went with a touch pro2 instead.

mate has an n97, great if you're happy with it straight out of the box but i love the customizability of a winmo device plus the keyboard on the n97 isn't all that flash. haven't played with the n97 much but so far so good, although it does lag a little

gslrallysport
23rd July 2009, 02:26 PM
:mad:

Damn you optus... Supposed to be delivered today, now not expected till after August 3rd...

hazrd
23rd July 2009, 02:34 PM
optus seem to be really delivering some expectations this year :rolleyes:

short of n97s, iphones, 5800s... they're crap anyway IMO lol.. still looking forward to what people think of the 97 though :)

mania
23rd July 2009, 07:06 PM

Damn you optus... Supposed to be delivered today, now not expected till after August 3rd...

Mine was supposed to be delivered last thursday. Then this thursday. Then got told August 3rd as well - but if the phone support lady's to be believed that's just for everyone else, I have a good chance of getting the last of the first shipment on Monday. Not holding my breath though.

poita
23rd July 2009, 07:07 PM

optus fail, again

gslrallysport
24th July 2009, 07:31 AM
Optus fail for getting my hopes up... Nokia fail for not making enough.
7 phones in my life, and every one a Samsung. This is a bad omen.

mania
24th July 2009, 10:17 AM
Mine arrived this morning at 8:05am :).

gslrallysport
24th July 2009, 10:22 AM
:yikes::o:mad:

AnthonyW
8th August 2009, 11:26 PM
I’ve got mine updated from a n95 8gb
What does everyone else think of their n97 ?

hazrd
9th August 2009, 10:12 AM
we're still waiting on gregs review :p

gslrallysport
10th August 2009, 08:24 AM
Woops... I got mine not last Friday, but the Friday before. I've had a decent play, but I was coming from a Samsung i450, so it was always going to be a step up.

Having not had a touch phone before I was nervousish about the speed of typing text's etc. please to say that provided you don't flip the keyboard out, it behalves just like a normal T9 keyboard, which I find is far quicker than having to type every letter on the mini qwerty one.

I'm a massive fan of the inbuilt FM transmitter, meaning you can use it like an ipod for your car. Downsides is that it gets slow pretty quick with apps open, web browsing is ok, but not fantastic, and the lack of any mpg or avi player (only 3gp and real player) is pretty poor also, considering my Samsung had one.

If it wasn't given to me for nothing (renewed high end business plan), I probably would've kept with my 5 phone tradition of Samsung... Not that I need to support the Korean economy any more, between half a dozen hyundai rally cars and Kumho rally tyres....

mania
10th August 2009, 09:38 AM
I've had mine for a while too. Love it, but it isn't without it's quirks. My critical review :p.

The keyboard is great, I can type on it far faster then any other phone I've tried, and faster then an iphone power user I raced. There is a quirk though - enabling predictive is great, but it doesn't work well on the web where you can't see what it's doing easily at all. ie doesn't underline words. I do like the t9 touchscreen though, often use that.

The screen has a beautiful resolution and is easy to read, however the touch is not as good as an iphones, sometimes requiring to push the same spot twice to register. Mostly it's good though, it doesn't require a lot of pressure like a lot of resistive touch screens. A lot better then say the Samsung Ultra Touch. And considering that the touch screen is just another input on the phone, not the only input, it's more then satisfactory. Great for skipping around on menus, for all else you have the keyboard.

The camera is great - I don't mind at all not having a digital camera on me anymore, which is what I wanted. Some colours do wash out towards the edges, and the flash (being mounted so close to the camera) is not ideal, but it's still more then good enough for random photos. Big quirk: current n97s have a design flaw where the cover (which has 0mm clearance with the camera) scratches the camera, not present in other nokias (which have a raised gap for dust and crap to go under). Not too worried, as I'm sure warranty will cover getting the later cover fitted and lens plastic replaced scratch free.

OS is good, very customizable down to the positioning of each icon on the menus. Only quirk is that some parts of the phone have kinetic scrolling, ie web browsing, and others rely on fiddly scrollbars. Being fixed next OS update though. For some reason the phone comes with effects turned off, I don't understand why as it's a lot more slick with them on. ie fades as you rotate the phone, etc.

I actually really like the web browser, prefer it to my experience on iphones due to having a full keyboard without losing screen estate, makes filling in fields naturally. The best of any phone I've used - one quirk though, on opelaus it won't accept enter's inside the memos. Unless there's some trick I don't know about - this is annoying, makes it unusable for opelaus :(.

Plenty of apps already, many quite neat (ie one to play avis ;) - called smartmovie), and I love being able to set my own ringtones and backgrounds from the phone. (dig at iphone users there :p). Audio quality is fine from headphone jack.

It is a tiny bit bulkier then I'd like, but it's the price of having a keyboard. Overall I love it, but wouldn't unconditionally recommend it until the camera cover is fixed, kinetic scrolling is on all menus, and the predictive text is fixed.